• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatterhouse |OT| Blood, boobs, and nostalgia

Completed the game and started my run on Brutal difficulty.

I'm with Spoo here. This is a game that is definetly better then I ever expected it to be after the trouble dev cycle. Not only is it a competent beatemup, it sticks to the core things that make Splatterhouse, well...Splatterhouse.

The weapons, the vibe, the different nods left and right that the game throws at you. I really feel the people that worked on this were true Splatterhouse fans. Granted it has a heavy metal taste to it due to the music, I honestly didn't think it got overbearing and it fits in a weird way. I still found the game to have some sweet horror vibe moments and loved every minute of it. I'm also glad they kept puzzles down to a minimum. I also like how they constantly threw different things at you. You'll be side scrolling, then throwing shit on spikes, then throw in a brief segment of platforming, etc. Just everytime I started to grow a tad stale with what I was doing, they changed it up ever so slightly.

Overall I'm highly pleased. I even found it quite bold what they did for the last battle of the game. Definetly not expected but for me really drove the point home of what Rick was trying to accomplish the entire game
save Jenny.

I'd love a sequel even though I doubt the game will sell enough, so I'm happy enough that I have a new entry and the three originals in one nice package.

MattyH

i just finished this too and am starting my brutal run now but i gotta say next to bayonetta this has been the most fun ive had with a game this year

shuri

Banned
splatterhouse-SDcomiccon-2010.jpg

I wish I could buy a poster of that :(

Question for those of you who have finished it, how much of the 2D platforming is there? I thought that looked really cool in the trailers and am considering picking this up when it drops a bit just for those sections.

ThirstyFly said:
Question for those of you who have finished it, how much of the 2D platforming is there? I thought that looked really cool in the trailers and am considering picking this up when it drops a bit just for those sections.

If I remember correctly there are a good 4 to 5 segments like this.

Also reviewed this myself over at Control Alt Kill. Rated it a B+

derFeef

I think I ran into a glitch in Phase 2. You walk down a corridor and there is a mirror-shaped door where you walk through - there is another room then but the camera is stuck to the door and does not follow you. Mask view shows nothing, only changes the color. Reloading the checkpoint does not help either :/

derFeef said:
I think I ran into a glitch in Phase 2. You walk down a corridor and there is a mirror-shaped door where you walk through - there is another room then but the camera is stuck to the door and does not follow you. Mask view shows nothing, only changes the color. Reloading the checkpoint does not help either :/

Hmmmm replayed the game already and never had this happen. Ever get past it?

Carnby

just finished it.

either my ps3 is breaking or i have a broken copy, because this game was very glitchy. it froze on me at least a dozen times. and during the final QTE i had no sound effects. i even played the last QTE again just to make sure. (did that happen to anyone else?)overall, i really liked the game. i am glad i purchased it.

it was a fun brawler, with good characters and art direction. and the mask's comments were great. i just wish there was more variety in enemies and splatter kills.

i am playing another game on brutal difficulty.

Mdk7

I beat the game last evening, and overall i'm definitely more than pleased.
The first time i saw it, last may in Barcelona at Namco Bandai Press Event, it was pretty much a trainwreck, so despite my sympathy for the franchise i expected something as abysmal as Golden Axe Beast Rider or shitty games like that.
Instead, under a surface that's certainly VERY far from perfect, lies a solid and competent brawler that's totally faithful to the spirit of the originals.

I loved the cheesy B-movie atmosphere, the kickass relationship between Rick and the Mask (they did an incredible job with that, and the Mask eventually turns out to be one of the funniest and coolest VG characters of the generation!), the brutal and intense feeling of violence, the simple yet damn satysfing combat system all based on fierce bare handed close combat (something that makes the survival arena mode truly shine).
It's truly a great reinterpretation of the classics, a no brainer well adapted to the modern times.

Too bad about some evident flaws: the game terriby lacks in polish, the 2D sections are a nice homage and a clever idea but are just pretty poorly executed control-wise, the graphics are not that hot and most of all the framerate is unluckily far from smooth.

If you like the genre, don't miss it (maybe as soon as the price drops a little): it's pretty much a sleeper hit that will probably entertain and surprise you.
I'd LOVE a sequel (with a little more variety in the finishers! :p), but i know it will bomb hard so it'll never happen. :(

I can totally relate to the scores of 6's and 7's but damn at the 4.0 and 4.5 from Ign and gamespot. Totally don't agree on that end.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Hmmmm replayed the game already and never had this happen. Ever get past it?
63239a77.jpg

Crappy offscreen what I see. There is also a huge geometry hole in front of the character - when I walk into it I get a endless falling animation. :/ Hope restarting the chapter helps.

shuri

Banned
Seems I am reaching the end of the game now, I'm still enjoying the ride
even if the circus level was a bit underwhelming
, I *LOVED* the
mirror images fight, i loved how they teased you into thinking that an evil clone would burst from the mirrors in 2D mode like in Splatterhouse arcade but it never happened
. Right now
I've returned to the house and it has been taking over by the living flesh and i'm fighting those red zombies.. they are hard to kill!

derFeef said:
63239a77.jpg

Crappy offscreen what I see. There is also a huge geometry hole in front of the character - when I walk into it I get a endless falling animation. :/ Hope restarting the chapter helps.

Ahhh now I know the part, but yeah that NEVER happened to me. Yeah just try restarting the level. Hope that fixes it. When you go in there the camera angle is supposed to change.

shuri said:
Seems I am reaching the end of the game now, I'm still enjoying the ride
even if the circus level was a bit underwhelming
, I *LOVED* the
mirror images fight, i loved how they teased you into thinking that an evil clone would burst from the mirrors in 2D mode like in Splatterhouse arcade but it never happened
. Right now
I've returned to the house and it has been taking over by the living flesh and i'm fighting those red zombies.. they are hard to kill!

Yeah this is where the game takes a little bit of a nose dive imo. They just start throwing lots and lots of enemies at you. Though the next different area is pretty cool and has a cool story bit in it I thought. Though word of advice. Try not to fight everything when you see a time limit appear. Only what you have too! Hopefully that makes more sense when you get there!

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ahhh now I know the part, but yeah that NEVER happened to me. Yeah just try restarting the level. Hope that fixes it. When you go in there the camera angle is supposed to change.
Wow, restarting the chapter did not help. I really wanted to enjoy this. I have to delete my saves and install I guess :/

derFeef said:
Wow, restarting the chapter did not help. I really wanted to enjoy this. I have to delete my saves and install I guess :/

Hmmm if it happens again after that, you might have a fudged up disc... :( I've yet to hear anyone else complain of this issue on any of the splatter forums. Sorry man.

derFeef

I deleted my install, restarted the chapter and it worked :)
Now I am at this dumb boss with low health and no necro, great...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just ordered this. How is the difficulty, is it as ridiculously hard as the old Mega Drive game, or is it more forgiving this time around?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ok, I don't get it. Does the game (especially the 360 version) have the three classic Splatterhouse titles on the disc or do you have to download them from Xbox Live/PSN? I was under the impression all three titles were already on the disc...

Darkmakaimura said:
Ok, I don't get it. Does the game (especially the 360 version) have the three classic Splatterhouse titles on the disc or do you have to download them from Xbox Live/PSN?

On the PS3 you download a very small key file. Don't know how it works on XBL.

I beat the game the other day and I still stand by my original impressions...

Pure, violent fun.

My only real complaint is still about the soundtrack. All of the original score is great and clearly outshines the licensed tracks.

I also never ran into a bug or "cheap death" that wasn't my fault.

derFeef said:
I deleted my install, restarted the chapter and it worked :)
Now I am at this dumb boss with low health and no necro, great...

Do the health regen move. If your missing blood, dodge and hit him till it fills up and then unlease your healing move. Also as a side note, even when enemies are not around, you get health back, just not as much.

Combichristoffersen said:
Just ordered this. How is the difficulty, is it as ridiculously hard as the old Mega Drive game, or is it more forgiving this time around?

Starts off somewhat hard but after you level up a bit its not bad at all. Just be careful in the begining, enemies can take your health down pretty fast. Now replaying on hardest difficulty with all my stats from the first run and its been pretty damn easy.
FrostuTheNinja said:
On the PS3 you download a very small key file. Don't know how it works on XBL.

I beat the game the other day and I still stand by my original impressions...

Pure, violent fun.

My only real complaint is still about the soundtrack. All of the original score is great and clearly outshines the licensed tracks.

I also never ran into a bug or "cheap death" that wasn't my fault.

Just get so far in the campaign and the three original games will unlock.
As for my thoughts on the game, I still love it. It definetly has its rough spots but damn this game satisfied my splatterhouse needs. As for the soundtrack, I agree. I loved the composed music much more. I find myself humming them in my head. License stuff worked out alright but still... prefer the composed stuff.

Hesemonni

Banned
The game has Mastodon's music in it -> automatic GotY materially.

But FUCK 6th level's boss. So fucking irritating.

E: Killed it with a sliver of health. Phew.

derFeef

Game continues to be great and the mask is cracking me up. I love it when it´s talking to me (the player) instead to Rick :lol

So, will the preorder DLC be up anytime to buy, specifically the Amazon pack?

Or if anyone wants to trade, I ended up getting an K-mart code for the PS3, so if you have an extra Amazon one for some reason, I'll swap with you.

SillyPuty

Anyone know the parameters to get an S-Rank on the Survival Arena? I keep getting B's and it's starting to make me sad. :(

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Completed it!
Absolutely love the game, Im glad I listened to GAF Splatter fans.
I think they did a great job especially regarding the rocky development.
There were a couple of things that prob carried over from the previous dev. which I wished weren't there( plus it has some technical probs, mostly loading)
Great story and VA
although i wished Jenny died like in the original

But it's 80's fun all over! loved the nods to the originals and the combat is a lot of fun.
Overall a good re-start of the franchise.

However for the sequel...
more gore! I mean more enemies with exploding bellies, acid vomit, eye balls falling out,
enemies with multiple heads I can rip off etc. (more styled like the old games gory splatter enemies)
and more creepy unsettling environments based around the house, barns, sewers, lakes, attics etc. etc.
Some stage settings just didn't feel home in a Splatterhouse (prob old dev stuff)
And an over the top extremely disgustingly gory endboss! instead of a survival stage :/

Like the other Splatter House fans said if your a fan just get it!
Buy it and rip out some poopers!

shuri

Banned
I completed the game last night; amazing final level and totally unexpected boss design

Some random questions

1. The Mask belonged to the Corrupted before? Is that why he wanted vengeance?
  2. Is it safe to assume that the house is destroyed? We destroyed its heart..
  3. Who infected Jen at the end? The corrupted? The Mask transfered himself into Jen? When her eyes turned black, I thought she was going to turn evil and attack us but it suddenly cut to the credits.

The voice acting was really good; Some of the designs were INCREDIBLE (The 'mouth' and 'digestive system' of the house with the bridge made out of a tongue with teeths all around).

I loved the build up in difficulty, we kept facing waves of ennemies and thats where the fighting engine with the combo system REALLY showed off.

Deep inside I hope we'll get a sequel.

ps: its hilarious that when you die several times at the same spot, while its loading, The Mask randomly says "Don't forget Rick, it's a game.. It's just a game"

:lol

Combichristoffersen

I got this in the mail today (PAL version), but there are no unlock codes for Splatterhouse 1-3 :| The manual only gives a brief mention of unlocking the original Splatterhouse when the game is completed. What's up with that?

robot

I got this in the mail today (PAL version), but there are no unlock codes for Splatterhouse 1-3 :| The manual only gives a brief mention of unlocking the original Splatterhouse when the game is completed. What's up with that?

Pretty sure the original is unlocked pretty early in the game, by finishing Chapter 3 or 4 maybe?

betweenthewheels said:
Are there any achievements tied to the original SplatterHouse games?

None that I've noticed.

Splendid. Hopefully I'll have some time to play the game this weekend :)

Pretty sure if I recall correctly its unlock part 1 after chapter 3, unlock part 2 after chapoter 5 or 6 and then you unlock 3 after chapter 8.

Nemesis_

What the fuck is with this game?

I want to love it, but it's such a buggy piece of shit.

I've spent FORTY MINUTES trying to get past the opening sequence. Everytime I die, the game refuses to reload. Then sometimes the game will just freeze on the loading screen and load for ages. Then if it does load, eventually only some elements of the GUI will load and it's unplayable.

I have never in my life played something so poorly put together. >_>

Shiggy

Nemesis556 said:
What the fuck is with this game?

I want to love it, but it's such a buggy piece of shit.

I've spent FORTY MINUTES trying to get past the opening sequence. Everytime I die, the game refuses to reload. Then sometimes the game will just freeze on the loading screen and load for ages. Then if it does load, eventually only some elements of the GUI will load and it's unplayable.

I have never in my life played something so poorly put together. >_>

Sounds like the leaked alpha version from Bottlerocket ;D

Nemesis_

It's so confusing.

I just don't understand how a game can be so glitchy.

Every time I do a Splatter Kill now, the game freezes up completely and I have to restart my console.

MiniDitka

Look what just came in the mail :D

PictureNew016.jpg

PictureNew014.jpg

PictureNew013.jpg

This was the pre-order I got from Gamestop. Its about 8 inches high and is pretty nice quality.

Gave this a rent. Got halfway through the second chapter before I got too bored to continue. Then I gave the first arena challenge a try, got to wave 11 and the game froze. I lost all my progress and that was about it for me.

So, are there still codes to unlock the classic games available? I believe I read that some people just unlocked those initially without slogging through the game, and I pretty much got this to play the old Genesis games.

I have found that the game is surprisingly better than I expected, but I kinda predicted that the over the top gore in the earlier games couldn't be re-created with polygons and scripted particle effects. It just isn't as interesting or inherently funny to me as the detailed sprite work was in the early games. I'm in chapter 4 I believe, and I want to ask if I'll start to see the level of ridiculous detail that the Genesis games had with touches like enemies spouting intestines out of their bodies in their death animations, or skin melting off enemies as I punch them.

I do like the tone of the game and that it's tongue in cheek about how stupid everything is, but re-imagining the franchise as a God of War style action game lessens the appeal for me. My nostalgia is trumped by my complete distaste with that button mashing gameplay style. I'll probably make my way through it out of morbid curiosity, but I'm getting kind of bored with the route corridor, corridor, arena with set amount of enemies to kill, corridor, corridor, arena, corridor, etc, etc.

Combichristoffersen

finally got around to playing this today, and I was surprised by how much fun I had with it. Sure, it's not the best game ever, the camera is a bit wonky, the music is pretty awful (really, if you make a game that's a homage to 80s splatter movies, why not include some 80s metal then? I wouldn't mind some W.A.S.P instead of modern shit like Mastodon) and the combat gets repetitive quickly, but the over the top gore and self-aware cheesefactor of the game makes for an entertaining brawler romp through a Lovecraft-influenced universe.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the loading times are kinda awful too

Edit 2: Oh, and I loved how the trophies had references to Lovecraft and 80s metal, and even a reference to The Misfits :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
.hacked said:
$25.99 on amazon today, trade in is $25.75. For $0.24 I'll give it a try :D

Crap. Amazon had it for $47 and I pulled the trigger just a couple of days ago. I know they usually will credit any price difference within the 1st 5-10 days so I hope they do that here. Otherwise, I'ma calling customer service.

Combichristoffersen

I'm at phase 10. path to the estate part 4. But I can't get past the area where you fight three deathnoid alphas, I've got no necro left, and I'm low on health. Any tips for getting past this art of the game? :|

Carnby

I'm at phase 10. path to the estate part 4. But I can't get past the area where you fight three deathnoid alphas, I've got no necro left, and I'm low on health. Any tips for getting past this art of the game? :|

did you upgrade to get the roll and punch combo? did you also upgrade so that you are invincible when rolling?

random comment, Phase Four: The Meat Factory is one of the best stages i have played in a long time. it is a shame that the whole game could not be on par with this stage's action, humor, and scare tactics.

TheUsual

Gold Member
After seeing the Quicklook on Giantbomb and seeing the cheap price on amazon, I took a bite. Can't wait to try this whenever it comes in the mail.

Combichristoffersen

jaekwon15 said:
did you upgrade to get the roll and punch combo? did you also upgrade so that you are invincible when rolling?

No, I concentrated on upgrading the health, the necro bar and the fast attacks

segarr

This seems like the perfect Gamefly rental for me. Just a mindless, wreck everyone's shit game. I have an itching for an excessive amount of blood game that haven't been scratched since the 360 version of Ninja Gaiden 2.

Top Bottom