• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatterhouse |OT| Blood, boobs, and nostalgia

the coverart on the inside of the PS3 version should have been the main cover. Looks like a direct throwback to old Genny/TG16 covers. Almost makes me want to shell out the $60 along with some Funnions and a Big Gulp and pull and old school all nighter. I'll probably just moniter the impressions and maybe wait for a price drop though.

Was playing in Chapter 6 last night. Ran into an boiler room like area with a cool easter egg
A striped red sweater hanging on the boiler door, freddy clove in the basket, and his hat on the ground! :D

So now that I'm officially half way through, I gotta say. Still loving it. It seems just when I'm growing tired of a certain type of gameplay mechanic, they mix it up. There is some minor platforming that comes in and is usually very brief and associated with a set piece. The side scrolling parts are great fun because they definetly feel old school and are accompanied by old digitized sounding music. Nostlagia factor is up high during those moments.

I must also say that the boss battles have been decent, nothing great. They mostly consist of dodging, pummeling, and then finishing moves, though I must say that the chapter you fight
Biggyman
I felt was extremely well done and bad ass to say the least. Loved the presentation of that whole encounter.

Overall I am extremely satisfied, for the hardcore Splatter house fans I'd give this a -A so far. For any other fan of the beatemup genre, a solid b+. Combat is growing, I have alot of moves at my disposale now, and really love the brutal and visceral upclose combat this game has, especially considering the latest entries in this genre like Castlevania, God of War 3, and Dantes Inferno have really all been about distant combat. Here its up close, in your face, brutal, and satisfying.

As for game length, its looking to take anywhere from 7 - 9 hours I'd guess. I'm about half way and have played for about 3 to 4 hours so. Unless so of the later levels are really short. Will see.

Also the mask continues to crack me up,
after doing a vicious experiment to some baddies he says "This is the shit that got us an M rating"

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Where can I get the shoes and how much are they?

I may rent the game I loved the original

edit: thx

edit 2: freaking sucks 10.5 is like the most common shoe size. ugh

AndresON777 said:
Where can I get the shoes and how much are they?

I may rent the game I loved the original

Might have to resort to Ebay. Looks like alot of the stores selling them no longer have them listed. Should go anywhere from 80 to 100 depending.

brain_stew said:
Available for £10 or less by the end of the year, calling it now.

Which is sad... but probably true... Will see. I know that this game was getting pimped out hardcore with the horror crowd. In fangoria magazine, etc. So maybe it will do decent.

Playing 360 and the above is true: the post-death load times are ridiculous. I'd like to hear why they need to be 10-15 seconds long.

Everyone above who's mentioned the score is right: while I like the Accused, I don't need them pumping out of my speakers while I'm exploring creepy environments. The originals have some great tracks-- a bit tragic that metal was so heavily integrated, for whatever reason.

Oh yeah, and DLC's already started showing up: masks, a premium theme and a challenge room.

shuri

Banned
can anyone explain the various versions? On gamefaqs people are talking about certain stores having different versions with different weapons? The shotgun is in the gamestop version, the chainsaw in the bestbuy version? what is this?

shuri said:
can anyone explain the various versions? On gamefaqs people are talking about certain stores having different versions with different weapons? The shotgun is in the gamestop version, the chainsaw in the bestbuy version? what is this?

These are bonus. Like best buy came with a code to unlock all three original classics without having to beat the game. Or the weapons they are talking about are in the survival challenge rooms and you can unlock those regularily as well. It boils down to the exclusive stuff just being like instant access codes.

Honestly, I have a code to unlock all the originals right at the start, but I am going through the main game first so for me its worthless. So if anyone is dying to play through the originals first, lemme know. We can exchange codes or something.

MiniDitka

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also the mask continues to crack me up,
after doing a vicious experiment to some baddies he says "This is the shit that got us an M rating"
I love the dialog in the game. I think my fav line so far is the mask saying
"Misery loves company and you're miserable to be with(or something like that)"
:lol I'm up to chapter 6 and so far I'm having a lot fun.

Another funny line
"For a dick you're such a pussy"

MiniDitka said:
I love the dialog in the game. I think my fav line so far is the mask saying
"Misery loves company and your miserable to be with(or something like that)"
:lol I'm up to chapter 6 and so far I'm having a lot fun.

Another funny line
"For a dick you're such a pussy"

Yeah the commentary between the two characters is ace! I noticed a somewhat difficulty spike in Chapter 7 but I'm early on in it so not sure if thats for the rest of the game or I was simple getting tired. I suck when I get tired. lol

Mar

shuri said:
awesome impressions guys, I'll be picking it up tomorrow it seems! They kinda made Rick too big tho, and I'mnot sure that I like the fact that he has the same normal voice when he's talking under the mask.. You would expect him to sound a bit more brutish.

The original Splaterhouse in the arcades made a HUGE impression of me back in the days, the gameplay was good (for the time), but the artstyle, violence (which was a first back in the days) and incredibly creepy art (for the time, as a 10 years old) made quite an impact on me.

Same. Splatterhouse arcade was the first game I ever had a nightmare about. The game was dark, brooding, and almost terrifying in a subtle way. I was always disappointed with the sequels that went more cartoony and comical, as the original game was anything but.

It's what disappoints me so much about this game. It carries on the legacy of Splatterhouse 2 and 3, where over the top blood and wackiness and the character models being just as over exaggerated.

I think I'm going to wait until the price drops on this one, as much as I hate saying that.

Spoo

Mar said:
Same. Splatterhouse arcade was the first game I ever had a nightmare about. The game was dark, brooding, and almost terrifying in a subtle way. I was always disappointed with the sequels that went more cartoony and comical, as the original game was anything but.

It's what disappoints me so much about this game. It carries on the legacy of Splatterhouse 2 and 3, where over the top blood and wackiness and the character models being just as over exaggerated.

I think I'm going to wait until the price drops on this one, as much as I hate saying that.

You have a very fair perspective on this (holy shit though, I think you were the one guy backing me up that Jericho was a good game, so I love you!) -- but I want to tackle a few things here.

First, I'm not so sure that a game that prides itself on nostalgia and over-the-top violence (because, lets face it, you'd have to be *more* than over-the-top to slap it on the back of the box, and this game definitely is that) can be anything but self-referential and perhaps self-mocking to fit in these days.

The Mask changes it, and the character design somewhat; I think over-exaggeration is a great way to phrase it, because -- at least in my opinion -- I find very little that is, say, overly-cartoonish about the game. It has its moments, sure, but overall this a bloody disgusting game, with many nightmarish images throughout, and the combat and scenery can't be appreciated without stepping through the game and seeing closely all the 'nice touch' moments.

I think the game looks at the original Splatterhouse as a pivotal core component -- there's so many homages, and so much almost reverent adherence to the original game, that I think it's hard to say that it looked at too much Splatterhouse 2 and 3 (because, really, who would?). That said, the game is an amalgam of those experiences and a new experience which I think core Splatter-fans will appreciate. Here's a game that, in my opinion, actually makes good on the promise to please fans of all 3 original games.

And hell, even if you hate the game, you get the original games for simply playing through it. That alone is something I would pay 20 dollars for on XBLA.

Still, I don't want to say "buy this, Mar!" I will say, absolutely, that videos -- quicklooks -- don't give you an insight as to how deep the game or battle system can be, if only you work hard to understand how to take advantage of it. I, even without finishing the game yet, feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth.

Plus Mar...if you pick it up, I have a code that unlocks all the original games WITHOUT having to complete the game. Its yours if you want it. I have already unlocked the first two games, so for me its a useless dlc code. Though if you get the game and hate it... at least you have the originals unlocked without having to go through the whole thing.

Up to you if your interested. :) lemme know.

Though to be honest, I agree 100 percent with what Spoo is saying.

Mar

Spoo said:
You have a very fair perspective on this (holy shit though, I think you were the one guy backing me up that Jericho was a good game, so I love you!) -- but I want to tackle a few things here.

First, I'm not so sure that a game that prides itself on nostalgia and over-the-top violence (because, lets face it, you'd have to be *more* than over-the-top to slap it on the back of the box, and this game definitely is that) can be anything but self-referential and perhaps self-mocking to fit in these days.

The Mask changes it, and the character design somewhat; I think over-exaggeration is a great way to phrase it, because -- at least in my opinion -- I find very little that is, say, overly-cartoonish about the game. It has its moments, sure, but overall this a bloody disgusting game, with many nightmarish images throughout, and the combat and scenery can't be appreciated without stepping through the game and seeing closely all the 'nice touch' moments.

I think the game looks at the original Splatterhouse as a pivotal core component -- there's so many homages, and so much almost reverent adherence to the original game, that I think it's hard to say that it looked at too much Splatterhouse 2 and 3 (because, really, who would?). That said, the game is an amalgam of those experiences and a new experience which I think core Splatter-fans will appreciate. Here's a game that, in my opinion, actually makes good on the promise to please fans of all 3 original games.

And hell, even if you hate the game, you get the original games for simply playing through it. That alone is something I would pay 20 dollars for on XBLA.

Still, I don't want to say "buy this, Mar!" I will say, absolutely, that videos -- quicklooks -- don't give you an insight as to how deep the game or battle system can be, if only you work hard to understand how to take advantage of it. I, even without finishing the game yet, feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Plus Mar...if you pick it up, I have a code that unlocks all the original games WITHOUT having to complete the game. Its yours if you want it. I have already unlocked the first two games, so for me its a useless dlc code. Though if you get the game and hate it... at least you have the originals unlocked without having to go through the whole thing.

Up to you if your interested. :) lemme know.

Though to be honest, I agree 100 percent with what Spoo is saying.

Thanks for the more indepth impressions. Of course, I haven't played the game so my opinions don't have any base other than videos that I have seen. I will buy the game (and thanks for the offer of the code), but I'm going to wait a while. I'm not going to have time to play it anyway. I will get it before the end of the year though so I can feel confident in including/excluding it from my goaties.

I'm more motivated after reading your comments, especially if you liked Jericho which I thought was a great character driven story.

Spoo

Mar said:
Thanks for the more indepth impressions. Of course, I haven't played the game so my opinions don't have any base other than videos that I have seen. I will buy the game (and thanks for the offer of the code), but I'm going to wait a while. I'm not going to have time to play it anyway. I will get it before the end of the year though so I can feel confident in including/excluding it from my goaties.

I'm more motivated after reading your comments, especially if you liked Jericho which I thought was a great character driven story.

Well I need to be clear; the new Splatterhouse is no great character-driven story. At least, it's as character-driven as the original was, and there isn't much to say for that :)

But it's certainly, in my mind, a real sleeper -- not unlike Jericho. Here's a game I imagine will have a luke-warm critical response, but most gamers (especially those familiar with Splatterhouse) will enjoy as both a guilty pleasure given the nostalgia involved, but also as a solid new entry in a beloved series. I actually have hope for future iterations, if that says anything (but I highly doubt it will be a financial success, which means I better start enjoying replaying 1-3).

Keep in mind, though, it's not perfect. There are levels in the game I feel are totally outside the feel of old Splatter-games; sections that just don't resonate with me, or what I want. Thankfully, so far, it's only a few, and overall I've been impressed with the attention to detail and reverence towards a series I grew up playing (when my Mom was away).

I hope when you pick it up, even if it's for $30 or so, you'll be pleased.

shuri

Banned
Picked up the game last night, the 360 version; and what a blast it is. I love the interactions between Rick and the the Mask, I love the fatalities you can do! I'm really impressed by how they got the atmosphere of the games down. Levels are just the right length, and I cant wait to see the rest of the game.

This is my surprise hit of 2010! I hope it does well at retail!

shuri

Banned
ok i'm stuck,

I'm in a room where those skull faces with spikes eventually come down, and then a spike comes out of them. You are suposed to impale two monsters on them.

The first room goes well

Then you go into a second room with the same skulls, but they are way too high. Are we supposed to find a way to throw the enemies into the spike? I kept expecting the skulls to scroll down to my level so i could easily impale the monsters on them but they kept staying up.

I fought and i fought and i fought and they never came down at all. The spikes were out. I tried grabbing and throwing the bad guys at them but it never connected.

What are we suposed to do?

The room also had one of those bigger monsters (the same one who rips your arm off in the first level)

Spoo

Shuri, you need to go opposite one spike a far enough distance, grab, and hit the Y button (Xbox).

The location must be very specific, I stood under one spike and aimed at the opposite. Worked fine. May take a few tries, but same idea.

I've run into a few glitches tonight: I'm only in level 2 and the screen blacks out whenever I throw the bad guys against the spikes or lift the doors. There is blood on the screen and controller commands, but no visuals.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm on ps3 btw.

canadian crowe said:
I've run into a few glitches tonight: I'm only in level 2 and the screen blacks out whenever I throw the bad guys against the spikes or lift the doors. There is blood on the screen and controller commands, but no visuals.

I'm on ps3 btw.

360 here. Completed the game earlier today. Never ran into anything like that at all.

Carnby

canadian crowe said:

I'm on ps3 btw.

ps3 here. i have completed level 2 and this never happened to me. it could be your disc.

jaekwon15 said:
ps3 here. i have completed level 2 and this never happened to me. it could be your disc.
Shoot. It seems to be gone in level three and the rest if level too. Not worth the aggravation to return it.

Great game though.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Wow. What a piece of shit this game is. Was not expecting much but god dayum! The combat gets old after the 2nd phase. This is the only the 2nd game that I fell asleep while playing in my entire 15 years of playing video games. I made it all the way to the elevator part in phase 6 then said fuck it.

Sooooo glad I rented it. Any chance the original Splatterhouse games will make it onto PSN or XBLA? Those games are the only redeeming aspect of this turd.

Spoo

Guts Of Thor said:
Wow. What a piece of shit this game is. Was not expecting much but god dayum! The combat gets old after the 2nd phase. This is the only the 2nd game that I fell asleep while playing in my entire 15 years of playing video games. I made it all the way to the elevator part in phase 6 then said fuck it.

Sooooo glad I rented it. Any chance the original Splatterhouse games will make it onto PSN or XBLA? Those games are the only redeeming aspect of this turd.

Are you upgrading as you go? The combat gets much more intense as you go, and a lot of doors open up to allow you to do some pretty crazy things if you pay close attention to how certain moves can lead into other combos. It's not DMC or NG levels of combos, but it's pretty good the deeper you get into the game.

I think the game is worth the price for all three original Splatterhouse games on XBL -- but I'm a huge fan, and when it comes to getting perfect emulation I'm probably more willing to pay than most. Hopefully you can get the game at a reduced price in the future if you're not having fun with it if only for the original games.

eXistor

I took it home from work for a spin as I'd never played a Spaltterhouse before and always wanted to. I gotta say: this might not win any awards (nor should it), but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It feels very oldskool which is a big plus in my book. It's very derivative, but for a simple beat 'em up like this that's not a bad thing. I'm gonna see if the fun keeps up, then I might just buy it.

Spoo

eXistor said:
It's very derivative

That's kind of the point, right :lol

Really, if this game takes and runs with anything, it's all from Splatterhouse 1-3. I definitely agree, this game shouldn't win any awards for innovation, or incredible graphics, etc, but if there's an award for truest old-school feel, Splatterhouse wins without question. I've almost finished it and, with the exception of 1 or 2 levels that seem out of place, the game has been worth every cent :D

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
shuri said:
'Now let's show why this game is called SPLATTERHOUSE!' :lol

The rematch with
Chainsaw Dude
is SO GOOD. I was grinning like a lunatic in a hockey mask the whole way through.

To echo the good vibes in this thread, if you ever had a care for the franchise, 80s horror, Lovecraft, or arcade beat-em-ups, you really should give Splatterhouse a look. It's as rough around the edges as you'd expect a game pulled off its original devs and finished by others to be, but the groundwork is rock solid. Thematically and artistically it's always competent and frequently inspired.

robot

Just rented this from blockbuster (when did late fees come back?), gonna play for most of the night. Looks like it might be a good game, if some of these impressions are anything to go by! The artwork on the dashboard installation is awesome! I''ll post some of my own later.

Spoo

Finished the game.

I really think this is a major sleeper hit -- it's so absolutely on the mark; the kind of game you'd want, really, if you were ever a fan of the original games. Theres a self-awareness to the entire experience, but also a slight push made to bring Splatterhouse into the here-and-now. It's not an offensive push by any means -- the game is brutally violent, unflinchingly vulgar, yet so open to its own childish nature that you can't help but be entranced by every single step it makes.

I never thought that Splatterhouse could be this good. To purchase the game, knowing its troubled history, and to expect something worth 60 dollars seemed like a dream. To see it as it is, and how truly good it s, is shocking, surprising, and absolutely pleasing.

I hope GAF sees this game the way I do. A true success story in an industry that tries over and over to capitalize on nostalgia; here is a game that did it right. Anyone who reaches the credits will agree if they have even a passing knowledge of the original titles.

Based on the ending, I can only hope for more entries in this successfully rebooted series.

derFeef

Game is great so far. Ridiculous, but great :lol
I am stuck in Phase 2 though,
where you need to impale those little creeps a second time, but it does not work. It seems the poles are a bit higher so I have no idea what I should do.
Any help?

derFeef said:
Game is great so far. Ridiculous, but great :lol
I am stuck in Phase 2 though,
where you need to impale those little creeps a second time, but it does not work. It seems the poles are a bit higher so I have no idea what I should do.
Any help?

Isn't the answer about 20 posts or so above yours?

eXistor

Spoo said:
That's kind of the point, right :lol
Exactly why I mentioned it ;) I was just stating the obvious I guess. I'm about to fire the game up again now, there's a whole wave of great games waiting to be played for me but it's Splatterhouse I wanna play right now!

Facism

Spoo said:
Finished the game.

I really think this is a major sleeper hit -- it's so absolutely on the mark; the kind of game you'd want, really, if you were ever a fan of the original games. Theres a self-awareness to the entire experience, but also a slight push made to bring Splatterhouse into the here-and-now. It's not an offensive push by any means -- the game is brutally violent, unflinchingly vulgar, yet so open to its own childish nature that you can't help but be entranced by every single step it makes.

I never thought that Splatterhouse could be this good. To purchase the game, knowing its troubled history, and to expect something worth 60 dollars seemed like a dream. To see it as it is, and how truly good it s, is shocking, surprising, and absolutely pleasing.

I hope GAF sees this game the way I do. A true success story in an industry that tries over and over to capitalize on nostalgia; here is a game that did it right. Anyone who reaches the credits will agree if they have even a passing knowledge of the original titles.

Based on the ending, I can only hope for more entries in this successfully rebooted series.

I had the original arcade "Splatterhouse" when i was a kid and the megadrive games. I don't get the splatterhouse vibe whatsoever from this game. Infact i feel this game is a massive disapointment. Seriously, heavy metal and a comedic cocky mask?

big_z

this thread lacks boobs!

SalsaShark said:
29856scrnshots0026-530.jpg

.. so yeah

first anal prolapse in a game?

Spoo

Facism said:
I had the original arcade "Splatterhouse" when i was a kid and the megadrive games. I don't get the splatterhouse vibe whatsoever from this game. Infact i feel this game is a massive disapointment. Seriously, heavy metal and a comedic cocky mask?

I'd tempted to just ask where you are in the game so far. The mask and heavy-metal music really aren't the origin of the vibe I get, and even if you disliked those aspects, they're hardly enough to break the vibe once you do feel it.

I personally think the mask is hilarious, well-voiced, sinister, and helps make the game a little less boring while walking down a hallway that doesn't have monsters in it :) On that, we'd just have to agree to disagree. If it's because it's a "comedic" mask, well, upon replaying the older games, don't you get that eery suspicion that the mask is just saying what you're thinking?

shuri

Banned
I was watching the SplatterHouse II intro, and the mask pretty much tells you the same thing he does in the modern remake.

Spoo

shuri said:
I was watching the SplatterHouse II intro, and the mask pretty much tells you the same thing he does in the modern remake.

I can't wait to revisit the original games. I remember reading an interview where they (Namco Bandai) were seriously considering releasing I-III as DLC; that they packed it all in with the game shows a lot of character in an industry filled with, well, none. :lol

Top Bottom