• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The side missions are a *lot* more sandboxy than the core campaign, but even replays of the campaign may surprise you with alternate ways you might have missed. It has for me.

Cool! That's really good to hear. Admittedly, I've only played the campaign missions so far, so I know there's a lot more for me to tinker with. A lengthy campaign, side missions, co-op, and SvM... it's weird getting this much content nowadays.

XAL

I got my email too. Redeemed the code but... Does anyone know what the "elite" svm suits do other than looking different?

Sooo....apparently this is not available for america?

I just completed it and filled out the info and it said it wasn't available for my region...

**PC, America

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Open Shadownet, that tells you the daily and weekly challenges.

For the past week or so Shadownet's weeky/daily challenges haven't popped up for me. I'm thinking it's bugged.

I do want to say that whoever thought having unlock tokens for SvM customizations needs to be slapped. I have all this money and nothing to buy since I don't have unlock tokens.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
Same issue I'm having. No daily or weekly challenges showing on shadownet.

I got the weekly done though earlier. I just need a daily to complete.

DesertFox

Sooo....apparently this is not available for america?

I just completed it and filled out the info and it said it wasn't available for my region...

**PC, America
Im not sure why it's doing that now. I got an American code by playing it a few weeks ago, but now if I do it, I get that same unavailable message

Grr, I'm still having frustrating frame rate issues in Spies v Mercs. It will be a solid 60+, and then I turn and it drops to 20-30. I'm running a 7970, so there's no reason it should be like this. I've even kicked it down to 1080p, turned off all ambient occlusion and anti-aliasing, and even turned down shadow and texture quality. Still sub-30 frequently. It seems worse when I'm playing as mercs. Oh, and I've tried 3 different sets of drivers, making sure to wipe the old ones each time.

Anybody else with an AMD card having these sort of issues?

Nvidia: The Way It's Meant To Be Played (TM) ;)

(That sucks man, sounds like you have to wait for AMD to update drivers for your card for it)

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. The way Nvidia and AMD have chosen to compete through game "exclusivity" is the fucking worst.

The latest AMD beta drivers claims that for Blacklist it "improves up to 9% at 2560×1600 with Ultra settings enabled," but that seems to be a load of shit.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Mid(?) Disc 2 spoilers:
Just finished up the shoot-out outside the Paladin after the GITMO mission
... and man, this game seriously is punching some variety. It was actually a pretty decent
twist. Sure, it was inevitable that the bad guy would hunt down Sam and the team; but I honestly didn't expect this boring hub to be a big action set piece.

Mid(?) Disc 2 spoilers:
... and man, this game seriously is punching some variety. It was actually a pretty decent
twist. Sure, it was inevitable that the bad guy would hunt down Sam and the team; but I honestly didn't expect this boring hub to be a big action set piece.

as soon as i realized
you could walk around the entire plane,
i knew there had to be a gameplay reason.

Pooya

beat it, man last level was awesome.

they had to save balaclava Sam for the last :p just like the original game IIRC. I really don't want to see his face so that was pretty nice to have.

I liked the scenario, it wasn't anything amazing but it felt like a mixture of the original game and Chaos Theory with similar scenarios, I liked that. After the Conviction and Double Agent non sense it was good to be back in a similar position as before.
With that said there were some cool set pieces that I quite liked and some ballsy locations that you don't see in games often. They picked those well. There were a couple of horrible missions though, that ONE level felt very rushed >.<

I'm gonna chalk up the segmented nature of the main missions as memory limitations, otherwise level design was pretty decent and a huge step up from mediocrity of Conviction and even Double Agent. The open ended levels for Grim's missions were pretty good but maybe too small, again I think they might have memory limits with current gen.

Overall if it wasn't for the awful and dry Sam's voice actor, lack of emails/minigames and still some other abilities from past game this could've been a really great game. It's pretty good and enjoyable as it is and you really can hold your ground if you screw up and mix different styles of playing thank to better and faster controls and menus. I still really miss analog movements and light/sound meters though.

I think most of the levels have some replay value too unlike Conviction, I can see myself going through it again, it was fun and mixing other co-op modes with single player was a nice touch. I hope they don't wait several years for next game, SC was at its peak when it was an annual series and the fast improvements from each game really helped. I'm not sure they got the sales they wanted with this one though, not sure what happens next.

edit: I found out you can actually listen to dead drops from the menu after I finished the game like audio logs, LOL. This could've been a good replacement for emails if they actually played when you picked them up.

Secondary objectives being just collectibles was also disappointing. In Chaos Theory secondary objectives actually can carry over to next missions and have some effects on the main mission even if it's very minor.

Xanathus

I just reached the briefing for the Denver mission. I have to applaud the devs for that mission confirmation screen, that was fucking awesome/hilarious. They even sound out a bass beat for each confirmation.

TheSeks

I honestly thought we were gonna have to play all of them in that mission from that bit. I was pumped up for a
"FUCK NO CHARLIE!"
but they circumvented that. Honestly the twist with the Barclava was good. Wasn't expecting
Briggs to be "Sam"

Had my best speedrun yet on Hackers' Den co-op. We completed it in 1 minute 25 seconds on perfectionist difficulty, full ghost. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnB506XHF7w We used some pretty ballsy tactics this time, and cut it way too close for comfort as far as guards go, but no alerts and easily one of the best times on the ps3 leaderboards.

I've gotta give credit to the folks who designed Grimm's levels, you can attack them in so many different ways. We've spent hours on single levels alone just experimenting with alternate routes and tactics for fun.

Also, somebody told me that you can get a higher final high score if only one person goes for the objectives... I haven't tested it myself, but it seems pretty counterintuitive for co-op. Can anyone confirm this?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
i loved pt and ct svm ranked, played it religiously. will i like this? sorry if my q is redundant.

pc user btw.

I think so. I've been pretty down on the series direction but this game is really fun. There's a really good Splinter Cell game in here, it just depends on how you want to play.

also, play the co-op missions (you can play them solo). They're the best part and feel like the old games.

Xanathus

I honestly thought we were gonna have to play all of them in that mission from that bit. I was pumped up for a
"FUCK NO CHARLIE!"
but they circumvented that. Honestly the twist with the Barclava was good. Wasn't expecting
Briggs to be "Sam"

I kinda saw that coming the moment that cutscene started. Another thing I loved was how you are given only one button prompt,
"EXECUTE FIFTH FREEDOM"

Alpende

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm glad it has way more stealth than Conviction had. It's one of the better stealth games I've played.

Mid(?) Disc 2 spoilers:

What's great is that you don't have to treat it like a shootout. I snuck out and took them all down Ghost style.

This game has so much content. I'm up to 38 hours played.

Afro

Don't know what it is, but this SvM has gotten pretty stale for me already. Around level 45 at the moment. I remember being able to playing the old SvM for months. Maybe I'm just getting old, not sure.

DukeBobby

Ugh, I give up trying to ghost Special Missions HQ. So far, the missions have been extremely easy to ghost, but this one is ridiculous.

I hope the rest of the missions aren't this difficult.

Jin

Game just updated on Steam. Patch was 1.7Gb with no notes or anything.

Edit: From their forum -

CRASH FIXES:

&#8226; Fix for crash on startup on DX11 with certain monitors
&#8226; Fix memory leak in DX11 constant buffer system
&#8226; Fix for hang on controller disconnect in loading screens
&#8226; Fix for hang in customize gear screen
&#8226; Fix rare crash with host disconnect
&#8226; Fix crash in loading screen after getting killed in the tunnel
&#8226; Fix hang in coop after checking computers and disconnecting
&#8226; Fix crash when equipping tri-rotor in customize gear menu
&#8226; Fix coop crash in loading screen
&#8226; Fix popup crash in lobbies
&#8226; Fix potential audio crash in preload
&#8226; Fix crash with exclusive skins in co-op
&#8226; Fix for potential hang after pausing cutscene
&#8226; Fix frag grenade crash

GAMEPLAY:

&#8226; Fix issues with rogue agent scoring
&#8226; Fix input for interrogation scenes
&#8226; Fix co-op interactions with missing prompts
&#8226; Fix for players reaching out of world location in certain missions
&#8226; Fix for player getting stuck in kobin back alley
&#8226; Fix capture the intel objectives when maximum intel is acquired by one team
&#8226; Fix bad spawns during transitions
&#8226; Fix getting stuck in door on a specific point on a map
&#8226; Fix for exploits in SvsM
&#8226; Fix for spy getting out of map
&#8226; Fix for merc getting stuck
&#8226; Fix for intel getting stuck on gun
&#8226; Fix door replication on a specific map in co-op
&#8226; Fix some invisible collisions
&#8226; Fix some crate collisions
&#8226; Fix for objects falling out of world
&#8226; Fix getting stuck in corner with crossbow
&#8226; Fix for spy weapon abuse
&#8226; Fix for getting stuck in transition area in co-op
&#8226; Fix for getting stuck in co-op on disconnect
&#8226; Balance tweaks for frontal attacks

ONLINE:

&#8226; Reduce host migration failures
&#8226; Fix clients getting stuck in sessions with multiple simultaneous host migrations
&#8226; Improvements to game migration
&#8226; Improve speed of getting into game

CONTROLS:

&#8226; Fix controller detection when multiple input devices are connected
&#8226; Allow gamepad input even if window has no focus
&#8226; Debounce use key so holding it down doesn't trigger sequence of actions
&#8226; Fix issue where player can get stuck in sprint mode

GRAPHICS:

&#8226; Fix trirotor explosion
&#8226; Fix visible scope during cinematics
&#8226; Support for super widescreen aspect ratios
&#8226; Fix character rendering on customization screens on high resolution displays
&#8226; Optimise flash depth stencil buffer allocations
&#8226; Fix broken tv state
&#8226; Fix for targets appearing in bind pose
&#8226; Fix merc animation
&#8226; Fix issue with unknown resolutions

UI:

&#8226; Remove duplicated back button in dead drops sub menu
&#8226; Fix erroneous Joy1/Joy2 button prompts when using keyboard
&#8226; Fix incorrect message displayed after deploying tri rotor
&#8226; Fix mouse auto centering when buying items
&#8226; Fix for hud sometimes missing during mark & execute
&#8226; Fix with UI getting stuck in customize gear screen whilst upgrading a weapon
&#8226; Fix controller selection wheel flicker when you don't have focus
&#8226; Fix mouse clipping issue when lowering resolution below monitor's native resolution
&#8226; Fix loadout screen missing locks
&#8226; Fix weapon placement in customize gear screen
&#8226; Fix preview in coop lobby
&#8226; Fix view match settings during countdown
&#8226; Fix gone dark hint display
&#8226; Fix for leaderboard display corruption

SOUND:

&#8226; Fix sound loop for mouse over animations in the SMI
&#8226; Fix for trirotor sounds in co-op
&#8226; Fix lost sound on pause menu in coop
&#8226; Fix for audio during controller reconnection

ENGINE:

&#8226; Make file save system more robust
&#8226; Gracefully handle corrupted save game files
&#8226; Optimise engine to improve performance on older AMD CPUs

Alpende

What's great is that you don't have to treat it like a shootout. I snuck out and took them all down Ghost style.

This game has so much content. I'm up to 38 hours played.

How can you sneak out, just through the front right? I got spotted almost right away.

Marleyman

Banned
Ugh, I give up trying to ghost Special Missions HQ. So far, the missions have been extremely easy to ghost, but this one is ridiculous.

I hope the rest of the missions aren't this difficult.

I don't think they have all been easy but this one...fuck this one. I am still stuck on it since Thursday trying to ghost it.

I really hope this Steam update addresses the frame rate issues I've been having. It's really, really frustrating that I average ~25 FPS when playing as Mercs. I can fucking max out Crysis 3 and get twice that.

Also, this is nice:

&#8226; Fix character rendering on customization screens on high resolution displays

cackhyena

Can someone help me out? I can't figure out why the audio would be off on my game. I just got the Steam version. Certain sound effects are severely muffled, and sometimes every character's voice can be heard in a cut scene except Sam's. Is this a known issue or something I'm missing on my end?

Afro

I really hope this Steam update addresses the frame rate issues I've been having. It's really, really frustrating that I average ~25 FPS when playing as Mercs. I can fucking max out Crysis 3 and get twice that.

thought it was just me. first time experiencing bad frame rate drops with my 660ti / i7 3770 (in SvM). Setting everything to low seems to fix it, but I usually don't have to do that.

thought it was just me. first time experiencing bad frame rate drops with my 660ti / i7 3770. Setting everything to low seems to fix it, but I usually don't have to do that.

Interesting, the only other folks I saw having frame drop issues were running AMD cards like myself. It's so frustrating because some other people with 78xx cards aren't having the same issues I'm having on my 7970.

TheSeks

&#8226; Balance tweaks for frontal attacks

PRAISE JESUS, UBISOFT LISTENS!

And they fixed the controller!? Now if they fixed the co-op bug I'm in business.

Who has the Uplay patch link?

jonezer4

Spies vs. Merc question for everyone:

Is it just me or did they totally botch jumping on guys? I remember in CT, it was so fluid. In this game, if I go to run off a rail-less edge onto a guys head it will force me to drop down and grab the side of it before giving me the chance to kill him.

Am I doing something wrong? I've had so many instances where a merc should be dead to rights but my dickhead spy insists on grabbing a ledge instead of dropping on his dumb head.

There are just a lot of technically broken things with online in this for it to be considered good. Maybe it will be less broken in the next game.

Lima

Finally they fixed the broken weekly challenge. God I hate all this social crap, games connecting with websites to pull stats and all that.

It almost never works, the websites are slow most of the time and all of that information would have been better if they had just put it right there in the game.

/rant

jonezer4

I've also noticed there's no way to select which team you play as first in classic when I play. My team starts as Merc about 95% of the time, no exaggeration. Any idea why that's occurring?

It usually results in the other team quitting after/during the merc round and us never playing as spies. Or, because we did so well as mercs, we only get to play spies for 2 minutes until we win. It's ridiculous. I just played for two hours and probably was spy for a total of 15 minutes.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
This game more than any before it in my experience is truly, messed. The lack of host migration is appalling. I can honestly say 90% of matches in all modes save uplink control are full of rage quitters.

It's completely ruined mp for me. And because it is so good when a good full room sticks around.....it makes me hate the game! Lol

I just want the daily trophy. Which is currently glitches because daily challenges don't exist for many.

Plow through sp & co-op and trade it.

haikira

Just finished the game and the end cutscenes didn't display for me, I could only hear them. That's great...

Overall, I thought it was a brilliant game, one of my favourites of the year and probably my second or third favourite Splinter Cell. It really is just a shame about all the bugs, which the game currently has. I've had saving logos get stuck on cutscenes, scripting glitches, controller problems, game requiring an ini tweak to boot up, animation oddities and cutscenes not working. Then again, I guess that's Ubisoft for you. It took them months to fix a game stopping bug in ZombiU, which I had. Had to wait months until I could finish that game.

I'm just bitter at the minute, because the ending glitched out though. It really is an awesome game and I'd still recommend it. I just need a few minutes to cool down.

Top Bottom