• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

nOoblet16

I must say that I don't really miss the hacking and lock picking minigames, hacking especially was a chore, lockpicking was ok but don't really care. Maybe a different sort of game would've worked better but it's definitely not something that would make me rate this game down....especially when it does so many things right. The "sound" gameplay is good enough, and even though there isn't a sound bar, the ambient noises have an effect on how much the enemies can hear you. You cannot approach any opponent at full speed or bust a light without them not noticing even when crouching, anything more slows the game down (as it did in pre Double Agent games).

The humour and NPC dialogues during interrogations though, that's something I miss and feel makes this worse, I also miss the EMP gun and split jump. With Blacklist, I think they missed an opportunity for having Mass Effect style crew conversations and insights on previous missions because right now what we have is just one short conversation per mission.

suaveric

How come when I whistle to get someone's attention, they sometimes freak out and know I'm there? Most of the time they don't freak and just walk over, which is how I thought it was always supposed to work. Both outcomes happen while I'm hidden in cover.

Is it a distance thing, because it doesn't seem very predictable.

iNvid02

another coop bug i found n the russian embassy i think it was

both of us just made it out during the final part of the mission where the warehouse doors are closing,
grim was just shouting JUST RUN GUYS YO YOU GOTTA BOUNCE THOSE DOORS BE CLOSIIN.
for some reason the game doesn't realize we made it so shes still going batshit crazy yelling ESCAPE down the mic while im just standing there.

briggs kept running and fell through the map
KuGsj.gif

Just completed the Kobin missions. That was... quick. Thought there'd be a few more. (Playing perfectionist non-lethal). Still very early in the main story campaign.

Some points:

- Really wish that 'X' on 360 wasn't mapped for picking up weapons. When I wanna pick up a body and pick up the enemy's gun instead. So annoying..

- Is it just me or is true ghost style (no interaction with enemies at all, no knockouts, maybe some distractions here and there) almost impossible with the size of the maps?

- Why does Sam whistling to attract attention sometimes put guards on full alert? Usually they just investigate the source but I'm now seeing enemies go into full alert and run for cover. I'm not being seen either.

edit: what suaveric said for the last point.

How come when I whistle to get someone's attention, they sometimes freak out and know I'm there? Most of the time they don't freak and just walk over, which is how I thought it was always supposed to work. Both outcomes happen while I'm hidden in cover.

Is it a distance thing, because it doesn't seem very predictable.
Been wondering about this too.

I try to only use it when the guards are alone, and seem bored, but it does seem pretty random when a guard will just completely aggro on the whistle and get into combat position behind cover.

Maybe its a bug?

And why, when it comes to mines like the explosive mine, you can flip a coin whether it'll immediately give away my position when its triggered. I would think that if I'm out of line of sight I should stay undetected.

MAX PAYMENT

Been wondering about this too.

I try to only use it when the guards are alone, and seem bored, but it does seem pretty random when a guard will just completely aggro on the whistle and get into combat position behind cover.

Maybe its a bug?

And why, when it comes to mines like the explosive mine, you can flip a coin whether it'll immediately give away my position when its triggered. I would think that if I'm out of line of sight I should stay undetected.

My experience has been rather cut and dry with it.

If they aren't searching for you, they investigate.
If they are searching for you, they go apeshit.

highrider

Banned
Loving this game, but god dam disc switching on 360 sucks. No rhyme or reason to the content on the discs. After you beat the game and start replaying levels and side missions it gets really annoying.

And thats how it works for me maybe 90% of the time.

But in Opium Farm (I play this mission alot) there is one roaming guard at the top of the hill who I whispered to from the cliffside and he just immediately freaked and ran behind some boxes, doing that little pop-out-to-the-side-and-aim move every few seconds. No detection warning, and everybody else was still meandering about in their sleepy and bored patrol walks.

In the third Briggs mission this happened to both me and my co-op partner in the area with the HVT. In both cases a whisper led to us getting full-on aggro-rushed by the individual guards that heard it - once again no detection graphics/sounds, and no other guards were on alert.

Loving this game, but god dam disc switching on 360 sucks. No rhyme or reason to the content on the discs. After you beat the game and start replaying levels and side missions it gets really annoying.
Seriously. It makes zero sense. Why don't they just fully install the second disk and authenticate with the first one?

suaveric

Not that cut and dry for me. I've had guys on standard patrol (not already looking for me) that have totally overreacted, like I just took a shot at them.

Grisby

I thought it was going to be a big deal but it turned out to be a little moot.

All of the side content is on the first disc. I think it's the last 6 missions on the second disc. I pretty much did all of the side missions before moving on with the story.

So I've been playing SvM Blacklist exclusively for the past few days with some friends. Having a blast so far. Especially as I slowly learn what counters what and how to go about the maps and objectives with all the different types of detection. Lebanese Hospital is my favorite map so far (definitely god-tier) and Cartel comes in a close second. Kind of impartial to the rest so far and only really dislike Uranium Mine.

I've also been trying to get up on the Leaderboards for SP stuff (PC version). Got stuck around world rank 300 doing guards undisturbed runs. Seems I need more exploration points. Wonder what the number 1 ranks are doing though, since they're doubling the points of the rank 2 (something like 25k to 50k).

Lastly, the menu in this game is HORRID. All I want to do, is boot up the game and play some multiplayer. I don't want to go into Paladin each time I want to quit, boot up, change my settings, etc.

Sober

So if anyone is on Android, apparently they finally released their Spider-bot app for Android devices.

Free and unlocks those goggles for Sam Fisher, I guess. (I really don't like the last set of goggles, either ones).

Jharp

Looking for a non-lethal perfectionist partner for co-op on the PC version.

Steam - bearstronaut
uplay - dalethmetal

Been dealing with nothing but idiots that play on normal, kill every guard, throw guards I take down non-lethally into water or put bullets in their head, and still manage to fail the goddamn mission for me.

So please, GAF. Halp me.

Sober

Looking for a non-lethal perfectionist partner for co-op on the PC version.

Steam - bearstronaut
uplay - dalethmetal

Been dealing with nothing but idiots that play on normal, kill every guard, throw guards I take down non-lethally into water or put bullets in their head, and still manage to fail the goddamn mission for me.

So please, GAF. Halp me.
If you haven't finished the co-op campaign before I'm going to tell you: You're going to be hard-pressed to do it entirely non-lethal or even ghost.

I'm just so glad the campaign and co-op missions have been so enjoyable, because my time with SvM has been the exact opposite. I'm pretty sure veins are protruding from my head from how frustrating it is.

MAX PAYMENT

So if anyone is on Android, apparently they finally released their Spider-bot app for Android devices.

Free and unlocks those goggles for Sam Fisher, I guess. (I really don't like the last set of goggles, either ones).

I don't like this game. How much of it do I have to play to unlock some shit.

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
Anyone know if you can play co-op, split screen with two players signed in om xbox? Whenever I do it I get guest despite the fact we are both signed in.

Its getting harder and harder to find good games as the people who try the nearly broken Wii U version online bail.

Its a sad state of affairs that they even released it this way.

People online are baffled when they see I'm rank 38 and wonder how the fuck I did that.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
That's kind of the rub, isn't it?

I mean, on PC, load times are 3-4 seconds at most while the other consoles do it in ~20 seconds. On Wii U it's over 1 minute for nearly every load screen. That's a bit nuts, I think.

I do believe the reason is due to the engine choice. As this is still based on a heavily modified UE2.5 engine, they don't have the same robust data streaming options available ala UE3 and have to load more data at level start.

It's not the engine choice, it's because the WiiU is the only version not to have the HD stuff installed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Brigg's fourth mission is bugged, right?

I got up to
extraction
and couldn't move at all. This is after we restarted checkpoints on perfectionist and
GHOSTED AN ACTION SEQUENCE with me speed hacking and them taking dudes around me out.
So pissed!

Grisby

Brigg's fourth mission is bugged, right?

I got up to
extraction
and couldn't move at all. This is after we restarted checkpoints on perfectionist and
GHOSTED AN ACTION SEQUENCE with me speed hacking and them taking dudes around me out.
So pissed!
If you die at the end part then yeah, you get stuck in a scripting error.

TheSeks

Okay, I'm not so pissed that my teammate who probably got annoyed by me attempting to ghost Perfectionist on mission 3 (We did it, BTW) for like 2 hours
for the in-game mission timer to say we did it in 25 mins, WTF?
probably got disconnected. I did warn him that it was probably bugged so I'm not fussed. I'll wait for a patch to attempt to do that on Perfectionist then.

Foffy

Banned
I have a question for those who have played Blacklist, and presumably any of the previous games. How hard is the hardest setting? To prep myself up for Blacklist, I went and replayed Conviction today and dayum, even on the hardest setting the game is rather easy. The Deniable Ops missions were hard but that's because I didn't buy armor upgrades. :p

highrider

Banned
I thought it was going to be a big deal but it turned out to be a little moot.

All of the side content is on the first disc. I think it's the last 6 missions on the second disc. I pretty much did all of the side missions before moving on with the story.

Good to know. I'm literally rolling the dice hoping I don't have to change discs. It wouldn't be so bad but it loads, you're on the plane with a cut-scene, then insert disc 2. Grrrr..

TheSeks

I have a question for those who have played Blacklist, and presumably any of the previous games. How hard is the hardest setting? To prep myself up for Blacklist, I went and replayed Conviction today and dayum, even on the hardest setting the game is rather easy. The Deniable Ops missions were hard but that's because I didn't buy armor upgrades. :p

Losing the "I WIN" button (M&E) has made the game significantly better. I can't play the lower difficulties now simply because of it. If you get spotted, you're pretty much screwed against a bunch of enemies unless you're good at moving while under fire (and possibly dying doing that) or going full Assault.

It's pretty much what SC should be.

We are go!
Briggs should be the new "Splinter Cell" especially since he came into his own on the final mission

NO. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT, SIR.

His entire demeanor, personality, play style, loadout options, etc etc throughout the game are ALL set on the idea of more assault, MAYBE BARELY panther style play. It really felt like this guy was the 'conviction' style guy whether you wanted him there or not. Just personal opinion here, but without a lot of careful/better writing and options to the character I don't even want him back as a side kick.

TheSeks

The problem there is they didn't allow you to set the load out in those missions. Whereas in the co-op you set his loadout. That's an easy thing to solve.

I would think the WiiU multiplayer for just about anything would be dead on arrival
It wasn't. There are people playing. The trouble is actually staying or even getting connected to them. I have no idea whose fault it is, but Blops didn't suffer from these issues so I'm leaning toward ubi

Grisby

They were the bane of my existence on my first playthrough.

Now I can deal with em and avoid them, but still take great pleasure in putting them down in a variety of ways.

I've taken down my fair share too. Don't know if I could do it if they were puppies. I've got my limits.

I've taken down my fair share too. Don't know if I could do it if they were puppies. I've got my limits.
I'm a cat person. Nobody has ever had to tase a cat to break into anywhere.

And if the security of the nation is at stake and Fido poses a threat to the mission, well then Fido is just going to have to take a little nap.

Forever sleep.

Sojgat

Good to know. I'm literally rolling the dice hoping I don't have to change discs. It wouldn't be so bad but it loads, you're on the plane with a cut-scene, then insert disc 2. Grrrr..

Last mission on disc 1 is
Abandoned Mill
. It would would be nice if they at least numbered the missions so you didn't have to memorize their order (would be even nicer if you could just install the damn disc).

NO. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT, SIR.

His entire demeanor, personality, play style, loadout options, etc etc throughout the game are ALL set on the idea of more assault, MAYBE BARELY panther style play. It really felt like this guy was the 'conviction' style guy whether you wanted him there or not. Just personal opinion here, but without a lot of careful/better writing and options to the character I don't even want him back as a side kick.

Don't worry I have a feeling he'll get executed by some terrorist during the opening cutscene of the next game. Sam has to have personal motivation for everything now.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm a cat person. Nobody has ever had to tase a cat to break into anywhere.

And if the security of the nation is at stake and Fido poses a threat to the mission, well then Fido is just going to have to take a little nap.

Forever sleep.

Something about daddys axe going chop chop chop?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just finished up the Philly mission with dat
first-person mode - which was surprisingly decent.

I'm really enjoying the variety of the missions - lots of different areas, and the daylight/outdoors sections are actually pretty well done. Once again, I find myself quite shocked with how good everything is. Super solid, so far.

Though... I can't *quite* put my finger on why I'm not super thrilled with the... layout(?)... of some of the levels. I like the choice we get - there's a good bit of openness and lots of options to tackle each objective how you like. But there's this odd sense of "funneling" me that I don't really recall from the first few games. I guess.... and I know this is abstract... but in the originals you could follow path A,B, or C, switch things up half-way to now do D,E, or F; and then end up in either outcome G, H, or I. But now it really seems like you choose A or B, switch to A or B, and find yourself at A or B. ... Does that make sense?

Either way, still having fun. But something just doesn't quite click.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me how/where daily challenges are? I saw them pre-patch and now they are gone. I'm trying to get that trophy done!

I see all my challenges and uplay says get 10g for daily challenge....but I have no way of knowing what I should do?!!

Lima

Wait, so then it's swapped?

A/O is go into cover on PS3/360?

Cause as I said, it's B on Wii U

O/B to get into cover and X/A to switch from cover to cover.

The setup is exactly the same on WiiU, just the button position is different if that is what you had in mind.

Though... I can't *quite* put my finger on why I'm not super thrilled with the... layout(?)... of some of the levels. I like the choice we get - there's a good bit of openness and lots of options to tackle each objective how you like. But there's this odd sense of "funneling" me that I don't really recall from the first few games. I guess.... and I know this is abstract... but in the originals you could follow path A,B, or C, switch things up half-way to now do D,E, or F; and then end up in either outcome G, H, or I. But now it really seems like you choose A or B, switch to A or B, and find yourself at A or B. ... Does that make sense?
The side missions are a *lot* more sandboxy than the core campaign, but even replays of the campaign may surprise you with alternate ways you might have missed. It has for me.

O/B to get into cover and X/A to switch from cover to cover.

The setup is exactly the same on WiiU, just the button position is different if that is what you had in mind.

Exactly. Its swapped on WII U. B to go into cover, but A to swap positions

Like I said, It like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube.

Top Bottom