• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Blacklist Remastered was planned for 2024, Splinter Cell Remake has no release window.

How are you struggling with a remake? The game is already there!

Are they stupid?

That's what I'm thinking. What the hell is going on over there? I know they're incompetent, but this is a new level of shite. How are they struggling with a remake of a short linear game?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here is that same gameplay sequence, but using the X360's version, playing at 4K30 on a Series X through backwards compatibility. You can't disable the HUD or mod the 360 version like the PC gameplay footage, but it still looks great.

I have this version and yeah it looks remarkably good running in 4K.

Conviction looks fine too, but not as much as Blacklist. 2011, 2013 PS3/360 games seemed like they were meant for stronger hardware.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
The 360 version compares well to the PC version.
The only real differences are the shadow settings and the 30hz cap on the framerate.
I suspect Microsoft had the Splinter Cell games marked as candidates for the FPS Boost feature on Series X, but since Ubisoft was planning remakes, they wouldn't allow it.
It's a shame MS no longer gives a shit about their BC program or FPS Boost, otherwise they could probably get all of the Splinter Cell games running at 60fps (or 120fps for the first four games).

Here is that same gameplay sequence, but using the X360's version, playing at 4K30 on a Series X through backwards compatibility. You can't disable the HUD or mod the 360 version like the PC gameplay footage, but it still looks great.

Yeah between watching this and seeing some viral clips of BF3 recently praising the graphics it just makes the whole point of diminishing returns on graphics over the past ~12 years or so even more true imo.

The only non-diminishing return left is performance.

SnapShot

Such a big shame they shut down Blacklist's PC Multiplayer last year, had a co-op exclusive campaign & SvM was so good, basically took away half of the game from you.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The 360 version compares well to the PC version.
The only real differences are the shadow settings and the 30hz cap on the framerate.
I suspect Microsoft had the Splinter Cell games marked as candidates for the FPS Boost feature on Series X, but since Ubisoft was planning remakes, they wouldn't allow it.
It's a shame MS no longer gives a shit about their BC program or FPS Boost, otherwise they could probably get all of the Splinter Cell games running at 60fps (or 120fps for the first four games).

It's a shame Blacklist came out at the end of the generation. It brought back classic Spies vs Mercs from the Pandora Tomorrow game. None of that crazy bs that was in Chaos Theory...frickin active camo and restriction on where mercs could place mines. Pandora Tomorrow was the wild wild west of all spies vs mercs iterations. Creativity ruled in that game. I miss it so much.

Last edited:

GHound

How are you struggling with a remake? The game is already there!

Are they stupid?
I guess they really are trying to figure out how to make it open world and add side objectives like tower climbing, menial task 1, menial task 2, menial task 3, collectible 1, collectible 2, collectible 3, and outpost capturing. Good thing, too. Imagine if they managed to show any ability to emulate early '00s Ubisoft!

I have this version and yeah it looks remarkably good running in 4K.

Conviction looks fine too, but not as much as Blacklist. 2011, 2013 PS3/360 games seemed like they were meant for stronger hardware.

Agreed. It's surprising what a great job the XSX does with the later 360 games.

KU_

The first three were amazing games. It’s a shame we’ll probably never see that kind of quality from Ubisoft again.

Strider7

They should remaster Conviction. LOVED that game. Is it playable through BC? If so I might go pick it up to play it again.
Haters gonna hate, but Conviction and Blacklist are probably in my top 10 games. Love them the most, even if the older ones are great too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Ubisoft's library is one of the most prolific one to get enhanced with BC on Xbox, really good stuff. Wish some of them had gotten FPS boosts too (like how The Division 1 runs at 4K/60 on SX).

Sybrix

Shit like this is what killed Splinter Cell. Conviction was a fantastic game and Blacklist is 100x better. They invented marking enemies. The cover system movement is 2nd to none. The melee kills are amazing. Lethal or nonlethal.

But no, you cant possibly adapt or appreciate a new game just for what it is. You have to endlessly masturbate to Chaos Theory for 20 years. Pathetic. I remember people throwing a fit just because Blacklist had a level set during the daytime. Its embarrassing.

If those new elements made the game 100x better, don't you think there would have been another SC post Blacklist?

Make a new shit game then with that crap, don't poison an established series to appeal to the COD audience which is precisly why that shite was introduced.

SC was on it's last legs in 2013/14, Ubisoft last ditch attempt to save it was to turn the game into a Bourne/John Wick type game and moved away from what made the series great which was deep stealth gameplay.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

There was a point where I would have been excited for a new Splinter Cell. That point is long gone.

Now? I don't have any sort of confidence in Ubisoft to even handle a Splinter Cell remake in any form.

xrnzaaas

Sounds to me like they wanted to pick Blacklist to make a cheap remaster without people realizing how little work was put in releasing it. Fans of the series care about SC 1-3, maybe 1-4.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Sounds like we're getting Ubisoft Blacklist Remastered instead with the way things are going for the company.

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Top Bottom