• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

crispyben

23vjmf8.png

Developer / Black Rock Studio
Publisher / Disney Interactive Studios
Release date / NA=May 18, 2010 / EU=May 21, 2010
Platform / Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3 / PC
Players / 2 players splitscreen / 8 players online
Genre / Action-Arcade Racing

xni8sw.png

Split/Second is an intense action racing game set within a reality television show. Competitors will vie to be the first to the finish line in a made-for-TV city set rigged to blow with the ultimate goal of becoming the season champion.

2us8ron.png

Players in Split/Second don't just collide with other vehicles to knock them from the track, but can also trigger devastating events that drastically alter the dynamics of the race. Throughout a race, players can build up their "powerplay" meter by performing stunts such as jumps and precision driving such as drafting and drifting. Players must use pinpoint timing to obliterate huge structures and towering TV set pieces to tactically alter the track or create entirely new routes. These triggers are also activated by the player's AI opponents.

2rmpd0y.png

The career mode takes you through a 12-episode season, for a total of 72 events.
  • Race / see above
  • Elimination / every 20 seconds, the last-place player gets kicked (Youtube footage)
  • Survival / think the LA canal chase scene in T2, but reversed and with exploding barrels (Youtube vignette)
  • Air Strike / avoid the helicopter's missiles and score points (Youtube vignette)
  • Air Revenge / similar to Air Strike, but you can strike back (Youtube vignette)
  • Detonator / time trial mode whith all the powerplays going off (Youtube footage)

30mo5e9.png

There are three online modes:
  • Race
  • Elimination
  • Survival

Online thread in the Online forum

2s6v8d3.png

The events take place in 5 environments, for a total of 11 tracks for races, plus event-specific variations:

314xjlj.png

Earn credits offline and online to unlock new vehicles in three categories:

Muscle Cars (11)

* Ryback Brawler
* Cobretti Iridium
* Ryback Mohawk
* Cobretti Nero GT400
* Hanzo GT
* Cobretti GT500
* Ryback Coyote
* Elite 440 Special
* Cobretti Cascade
* Cobretti Pursuit
* Ryback Firestorm

Super Cars (11)

* Cobretti 455GT
* Hanzo Indus V8R
* Cobretti GT RS
* Cobretti Vortex
* Hanzo Bayonet R
* Elite S510
* Cobretti Slipstream
* Cobretti 530 GTS
* Ryback Cyclone RS
* Hanzo FX350
* Elite GT12

Trucks (5)

* Ryback Tornado
* Ryback Bandit
* Ryback Thunder
* Elite Goliath
* Ryback Titan

Trivia
DrAndonuts said:
The cars named after action stars: Hanzo (Sonny Chiba played Hattori Hanzo in a Shadow Warriors and Kill Bill), Ryback (Seagal as Casey Ryback from Under Siege 1/2), and Cobretti (Stallone as Marion "Cobra" Cobretti in Cobra).

29x7whw.png

omg rite said:
To unlock a special Disney XD branded car, go to the Options menu and press X, Down, X, Down, X, Down. There shouldn't be a chime or anything. Just go into Quick Play and it should be the car all the way on the left, the Ryback Mohawk XDX.

• Hyper Cars Pack (DLC / release date TBA)
These are 3 super-high performance vehicles which rank among the most powerful vehicles in the Split/Second tournament. Taking any of these onto the start grid of any event gives the driver an instant advantage over any opponent - providing they can handle the extra speed, and drift dynamics!

21l3bb7.png

so34et.jpg

xee8fs.jpg

k1cv10.jpg

PC screenshots (thanks Anthropic)

2qb6r81.png

iv97v4.png

1ev2td.png

US / UK

fleeeb.png

33aapfn.png

Your progress is actually reflected on your car's decals!

Winner - Win a round of the Season Championship
Qualifier - Qualify for the first round of the Season Championship
Survivor - Complete round six of the Season Championship
Right On Track - Win your first Bonus Round
Moving Ahead - Win 6 Bonus Rounds
Race Winner - Win your first Race event
Eliminator - Win your first Elimination event
Power Up - Trigger your first Level 1 Power Play
I Have The Power - Trigger your first Level 2 Power Play
The Time Is Right - Win your first Season Detonator event
Keep On Truckin' - Win your first Season Survival event
On The Run - Win your first Season Air Strike event
Clear skies - Win your first Season Air Revenge event
Start Me Up - Win an online event
In Good Form - Get an online form of 75 or better
Made the Podium - Complete the Season Championship
Season Champion - Complete the Season Championship in first place
Leading The Way - Win every Bonus Round
Heavyweight - Wreck 100 rivals with Power Plays
High Five - Spend a total of five minutes airborne
Great Explorer - Trigger a total of 50 route changer Power Plays
Going The Distance - Drive a total of 1,081 miles
Beat The Team - Beat 1 minute 7 seconds on Construction Site in Detonator
Beat The Team II: The Revenge - Beat 1 minute 18 seconds on Power Plant in Detonator
Out Of Reach - Get an online form of 25 or better
Giant Killer - Beat an opponent with an online form of 10 or better
Perfection - Complete every event and Season Championship in first place
World Beater - Get an online form of 1
Completionist - Awarded to players who have earned every other trophy
Untouchable - Win a race event without crashing
Split/Second - Win a race event by less than a second
Eliminator Efficiancy - Win an elimination event by being in first place at each elimination
Rop a Dope - with five seconds or less escape from last place and certain elimination
Follow Me - In an event change the track twice with a route changer power play
Bully - In an event wreck every rival with a power play
Cheapskate - Use a shortcut that a rival has triggered
Better Luck Next Time - Get wrecked by a shortcut that a rival has triggered
Zero To Hero - Use a route changer to go from 8th to 1st place
Frequent Flyer - In an event, wreck 3 rivals by crash landing a plane
Swept Away - In an event, wreck 3 rivals by destroying a dam
The Pain Train - In an event, wreck 3 rivals by derailing a train
Shipwrecked - In an event, wreck 3 rivals by launching a ship sideways across the track
High Pipe - In a event, wreck 3 rivals by demolishing a cooling tower
Convoy - Overtake 12 trucks in a row without crashing in a survival event
Fearless - Overtake 5 trucks in a row during sudden death in a survival event
Once, Twice, Three Times Evasive - Get 3 perfect waves in a row in either an air strike or air revenge event
Team Black Rock - Beat a member of the development team or someone who has beaten them

Thanks to mr stroke, whose Blur Official Thread was the basis for this one; GitarooMan, who encouraged me to do this; Cahill for the encouragements and the banner

This is my first official thread and obviously a work in progress as I don't have the game yet, so be gentle. If you see anything missing, post it or PM me!

robot

Aweeeeesome!

Been looking forward to this game since they announced it. Demo showed a ton of potential, looking forward to playing it tonight!

Any reviews yet?

Pretty excited for this one, dont understand why Blur gets more hype :(

I will probably pick it up after I get done with RDR, and maybe it will be a tad cheaper then too.

Very nice thread.

So I've played about 1-2 hours of this (completed the first episode) and I have to say I'm super impressed. The frame rate is rock solid so far (appears 30) and the sense of speed is very, very good. It's not super easy, I'm not winning races constantly.

Graphically I think it's pretty stunning, it's one of the best if not the best looking racing game I've seen. Obviously 60 fps would be nice, but it still plays fast.

The whole TV show/episode conceit is worked in very well, with trailers for upcoming episodes when you finish one. The whole front end is pretty slick.

As I noted in the demo thread from what I can tell the wheel is a no go, but I generally wouldn't use it for a game like this anyway.

Overall, seems like a great purchase, obviously need a few more hours for a more final judgment.

EDIT: Oh, and the Detonator event is awesome. It's like a hot lap in Burnout except shit is going off everywhere that you have to dodge. A great time trial mode.

crispyben

robot said:
Any reviews yet?
Added link to Metacritic at the bottom of the OP. Going to bed now, hope there'll be a few dozens posts in this thread when I wake up :D If some of you want to create the online meetup threads in the online forum, go ahead, I'll link them too.

luffeN

GitarooMan said:
Very nice thread.
snip

..sense of speed is very, very good.
Don't play ModNation before S/S or it will destroy the sense of speed :( It sure did for me xD But I just need to play S/S longer and stop playing MNR so it will be back to normal :p

LQX

My copy is being delivered today. A demo has not convinced me to buy a game that fast in awhile. Liked nearly everything about it.

luffeN

Wait till you destroy the very first tower (power play 2) and then drive on the new road, my jaw dropped to the floor

edit: and wait for the episode 10 elite race, just crazy shit xD

edit 2: hopefully it will get a sequel or some DLC. Or they take the concecpt and create a game with free runners xD

~Kinggi~

Banned
I feel bad for this game and the devs this week. So packed. :( I picked the 360 version up from Amazon. Just installed it.

Giant Bomb gave it a 4/5 which is pretty good. Ign gave it 8.5. Sounds like a great game.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I loved the demo, have played it numerous times. What is the map/player count online?

GK86 said:
I loved the demo, have played it numerous times. What is the map/player count online?

It averages 6 players, but 8 players max.

Ive been playing the PS3 version and its fantastic. Getting 1st Place on each event in each episode has proven sometimes to be aggravating in some of them, the AI is always at my tail and I always get those "split-second" wins.

Needless to say, should be really easy to platinum with those easy online trophys though.

Wow, another PS3 game I'm gonna have to pick up probably. I need to go download the demo. I love arcade-y type games and hate the realistic type shit that plagues games like this these days.

PS3 is really getting some great titles (Relax 360 fans I know it's multiplatform, but I only have Wii/PS3/DS.)

TheFreshPrince

Does anyone feel that you actually do better when you just drive straight?

I feel like drifting and drafting and going for power/explosions hurts my driving....it's almost easier to just drive as if none of that existed.

Thoughts?

TheFreshPrince said:

I feel like drifting and drafting and going for power/explosions hurts my driving....it's almost easier to just drive as if none of that existed.

Thoughts?
I know the iPhone version works like that. If you drift it seems like you slow way down and have a better chance of crashing into things. I haven't played the console version yet, but I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.

TheFreshPrince said:

Thoughts?
I feel you. Every time I drift, I crash. Personally, I felt the control's a little wonky.

~Kinggi~ said:
I feel bad for this game and the devs this week. So packed. :( I picked the 360 version up from Amazon. Just installed it.

Giant Bomb gave it a 4/5 which is pretty good. Ign gave it 8.5. Sounds like a great game.

1up gave it an A (5/5, 10/10, 100/100)

I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet, but I am very tempted. I'm waiting for the general opinions to come out. There is also the blur thing. It's not that I can only afford one, it's just that there is only room for 1 in my life.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, shit, the PC version has a 30 fps cap on it. :\ No matter the settings, you're not getting higher than 30 fps.

That said, at least I can use Very High and get a rock solid framerate. I just wish the game supported 60 fps and can't begin to imagine why they locked it. :(

burgerdog

dark10x said:
Well, shit, the PC version has a 30 fps cap on it. :\ No matter the settings, you're not getting higher than 30 fps.

That said, at least I can use Very High and get a rock solid framerate. I just wish the game supported 60 fps and can't begin to imagine why they locked it. :(
Wat?! Why do they that?

TheFreshPrince said:

Thoughts?

Drifting seems to be horrible for trying to get through those races when you need to meet the target time.

Peterthumpa

dark10x said:

Specs?

Anthropic

dark10x said:

Yeah, the framerate is a bit of a disappointment.

I'm on a i7 860 and a 5870 and in order to get acceptable framerates on "Very High" I have to put the 3D performance slider in CCC to "Optimal Performance".

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game is fantastic. It definitely has that big budget movie feeling to it. Whole thing is a really slick presentation. Even the menu design is cool. Visuals are amazing as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dark10x said:

No wonder there was no PC demo. The PC port is ass. I should have bought the 360 version.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Came home with this, Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption last night. Played this first, had a lot of fun with it. :D :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
felipepl said:
i7-930@3.2GHz + 5870

SapientWolf said:
No wonder there was no PC demo. The PC port is ass. I should have bought the 360 version.
Well...I wouldn't go that far. The visuals ARE better than the 360 version (1080p with more AA) and the price tag is $20 cheaper. So, while it may be disappointing, it's still the best looking version. Just not as good as it could have been.

Seventy5

I'm really loving this so far. I'm on the 3rd Episode and it's awesome. The Survival mode is great. I've only done 1 race online but it was pretty fun. I kinda wish you could set off things behind you though cause the CPU racers are on your ass constantly. I really like the triggered shortcuts that I've found so far. Also, splitscreen racing isn't dead!

ZeoVGM

Banned
So there is already DLC for the game in the form of spending 320 points to buy either all the cars or all the tracks, or 560 points to unlock everything.

The fact that they even offer people the ability to just buy all the unlockables is so fucking dumb. Obviously unlocking shit is part of the fun in games like this, so I don't even think it should be an option.

I hate that shit. If you're going to do that then at least just have them be unlocked at the start of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
omg rite said:
So there is already DLC for the game in the form of spending 320 points to buy either all the cars or all the tracks, or 560 points to unlock everything.

The fact that they even offer people the ability to just buy all the unlockables is so fucking dumb. Obviously unlocking shit is part of the fun in games like this, so I don't even think it should be an option.

I hate that shit. If you're going to do that then at least just have them be unlocked at the start of the game.
These two sentences kinda contradict each other.

reKon

Banned
demo was actually fun and visually looks great. I agree with the gamespot review though that the game can get shallow. I could see myself buying this one day if it was ridiculously cheap, unless Burnout is a better a game (I don't play those games).

ZeoVGM

Banned
SapientWolf said:
These two sentences kinda contradict each other.

No they don't. I don't think it should be an option but if they're GOING to do it, then it should at least be free, rather than sucking extra money out of people. Nothing contradictory about that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
omg rite said:
No they don't. I don't think it should be an option but if they're GOING to do it, then it should at least be free, rather than sucking extra money out of people. Nothing contradictory about that.
Selling unlocks shouldn't be an issue since it still leaves the fun of unlocking it on your own, if you so choose. Leaving everything unlocked from the start would remove this option altogether. I support taxing laziness.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Understandable but then it turns into "Hey look, these people online have better cars because they bought them all instead of playing the game."

Top Bottom