• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

De4th Strike said:
The cobretti GTS is THE car to use online and offline the handling - speed ratio is awesome and correcting yourself from shockwaves is easy.

i slaughtered every single race once i started using this car
Made it the easiest platinum i have gotten yet

I went online and ranked from 99 to 1 in less then 2 hours often finishing over 10 secs ahead of the pack while everyone else used the top tier cars

think i won like 10 races in a row at one point.

once you finish the game and go online you'll know every track like the back of your hand and you'll soon see the GTS is the best car in the game and its not even a top rank car.

Game was far too easy and im usually pretty poor at racing games. Still.. loved it though and can't wait for a sequel

I agree, it kicks the shit out of other "better" cars online and the best thing is everyone uses the Elite GT online which is basically a piece of shit unless you get a 100% perfect run (which doesn't exist in SS!)

Pakkidis said:
Great game but the rubber banding AI ruined it for me at the end especially when trying to get 1st place in few races.

Yeah it can be cunty. I found you have to stay behind 1st right til the end with a Power Play ready to drop.

So, after having a copy of Split Second 360 sat on my shelf over the christmas period due to lack of time to play games, I dipped in the other night, and last night, and today... game is great! I love how they make it feel like a TV show and the action is done brilliantly, every explosion has a feeling of power and size to it and is more then just a transparent alpha explosion graphic, these things look deadly.

I am about 1/3 through the single player races and the only single thing which ruins the game for me is the terrible rubber band AI which feels just as bad as mario kart, you can be in the same car and exit the corner better then the AI to see him pass you 10MHP faster for no reason what so ever, it's frustrating to no ends... but the game is good enough to let me ignore that fact where possible and have a great time racing and dodging blowing up buildings.

Love the helicopter air strike races, love the truck dodging, love the time attack challenges with pre-set action sequences, love when music stops a second before a big explosion or event like the crashing jet plane or cruiser boat crash, love it all!... apart from the fucking cheating AI.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm an idiot for not doing my research, but I'm feeling burned after buying this. It's bad enough that it's a racing game released in 2010 without native gamepad support (no plug and play), but anyone who thinks it's ok to cap a frame rate at 30FPS in a PC game should be cast into the fiery bowels of hell. If I can get my controller to work I'll give it a shot but it seems like $6 down the toilet, what a turd of a port.

seems kinda fun, though

Piano

Banned
Diablohead said:
So, after having a copy of Split Second 360 sat on my shelf over the christmas period due to lack of time to play games, I dipped in the other night, and last night, and today... game is great! I love how they make it feel like a TV show and the action is done brilliantly, every explosion has a feeling of power and size to it and is more then just a transparent alpha explosion graphic, these things look deadly.

I am about 1/3 through the single player races and the only single thing which ruins the game for me is the terrible rubber band AI which feels just as bad as mario kart, you can be in the same car and exit the corner better then the AI to see him pass you 10MHP faster for no reason what so ever, it's frustrating to no ends... but the game is good enough to let me ignore that fact where possible and have a great time racing and dodging blowing up buildings.

Love the helicopter air strike races, love the truck dodging, love the time attack challenges with pre-set action sequences, love when music stops a second before a big explosion or event like the crashing jet plane or cruiser boat crash, love it all!... apart from the fucking cheating AI.
I know I'm way LTTP but I just got Split/Second through Gamefly and looked up the OT to pretty much make the same comments. I managed to get 1st place in every single event in Pure but I'm halfway through the Season of Split/Second and considering giving up and sending it back.

On top of the ridiculous AI (which is way worse than Pure...) either the car handling in this game is complete ass or I just can't figure out the drifting mechanic. No matter what car I choose when I drift I end up hitting a wall or oversteering all over the place 80% of the time.

I'm also deeply disappointed by the severe lack of variety in this game. It's front loaded with content to an insane degree and it really grinds me gears that every single track in the damn game is in a City/Industrial setting. Are you kidding me?! It's a game centered around cinematic, on-the-edge driving and there's no mountain pass, jungle, canyon, etc? The least they could have done is vary up the city setting but no, the whole game looks like it takes place within 10 blocks of each other.

Yeesh. What a raging disappointment. It's truly a shame because the graphics, sound design and concept are all rock solid but the execution is a complete mess.

TheEastonator said:
I know I'm way LTTP but I just got Split/Second through Gamefly and looked up the OT to pretty much make the same comments. I managed to get 1st place in every single event in Pure but I'm halfway through the Season of Split/Second and considering giving up and sending it back.

On top of the ridiculous AI (which is way worse than Pure...) either the car handling in this game is complete ass or I just can't figure out the drifting mechanic. No matter what car I choose when I drift I end up hitting a wall or oversteering all over the place 80% of the time.

I'm also deeply disappointed by the severe lack of variety in this game. It's front loaded with content to an insane degree and it really grinds me gears that every single track in the damn game is in a City/Industrial setting. Are you kidding me?! It's a game centered around cinematic, on-the-edge driving and there's no mountain pass, jungle, canyon, etc? The least they could have done is vary up the city setting but no, the whole game looks like it takes place within 10 blocks of each other.

Yeesh. What a raging disappointment. It's truly a shame because the graphics, sound design and concept are all rock solid but the execution is a complete mess.

There is a level called CANYON. Youre only halfway through the game. Youve just gotta get better, the game is challenging but doable, I booted it up a few days with friends offline, they enjoyed it. Easy to get 100% too!

Piano

Banned
Really? When does it show up? I'm actually more than halfway - on Episode 8 - and I'm starting to have a hell of a time doing decently in most of the events. AI is mind bogglingly frustrating.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheEastonator said:
and how the hell do you drift effectively in this game?
IIRC, turn and tap brakes while using gas to drift. Temporarily lay off the gas and straighten out to stop the drift.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm way late to the party but holy jesus this game fucking owns, and very high settings brings my computer to its knees I get like 30fps on High though.

Game is awesome as fuck and really gives a sense of "on the edge"

Complaints:

30fps cap on pc? fuck that noise
power plays can get really predictable after the first time.

Pros:

Some bitchin drifts if you can pull it off
native 360 pad support, but still requires the keyboard in places? Not a con but it's better with the 360 pad anyways.
graphics are bitchin

Just got this game finally. Awesome. Totally awesome.

Is the online community still active with this game? I feel this is what the new Ridge Racer wanted to be.

Top Bottom