• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
omg rite said:
Understandable but then it turns into "Hey look, these people online have better cars because they bought them all instead of playing the game."
Yeah, but the scrappy poors always beat the snobby rich guys, right?

But I see your point. I think the proper way to do this is to delay the DLC to give the honest gamers time to earn the unlocks.

Aaron

The main game doesn't look long, so it's not going to take people much to earn these unlocks, and then they can laugh at the people who paid for them. I think it's shitty and wish they hadn't done it, but doesn't bother me too much. I dig the game, and look forward to unlocking the stuff on my own. The game modes shouldn't have been locked, but they unlock pretty early on.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Also, there's a code to unlock a special Disney XD branded car, which I think is the best car out of those that you start with.

Go to the Options menu and press X, Down, X, Down, X, Down. There shouldn't be a chime or anything. Just go into Quick Play and it should be the car all the way on the left, the Ryback Mohawk XDX.

It should work with 360 and PS3 but it only works in Quick Play. (Maybe multiplayer as well, I haven't tried it yet.)

Cypher

I'm really, really diggin' this game!

While it doesn't have the overall blazing speed of Burnout: Paradise, the sense of speed and framerate is still fast and slick. Even though Split/Second lacks the bumper-to-bumper thrills of ramming your oppenents off the road, it makes up for it in the instense Power Plays, shortcuts, and crazy Route Changes you can trigger......which of course will take out your opposition!

I find myself replaying the levels over and over to get 1st place, and to get maximum pointage to unlock additional cars and Bonus Events. This racing game has lots of replay value since its oh so fun to knock out a group of rivals with blitzing pyrotechnics and explosions going off in your face!

My only gripes so far is that you retread the same levels over frequently over the course of the game's Episodes......this racer needs more track levels (though the diversity is in the tracks themselves when you trigger Route changes). Also, there's only 2 camera settings (behind your car and outside front cockpit)....it would have been nice to select from a wider variety of viewpoints!

For an arcade racer that pulls exaggerated explosive punches, Split/Second is a real gem!

BUY THIS GAME!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cypher said:
I'm really, really diggin' this game!

While it doesn't have the overall blazing speed of Burnout: Paradise, the sense of speed and framerate is still fast and slick. Even though Split/Second lacks the bumper-to-bumper thrills of ramming your oppenents off the road, it makes up for it in the instense Power Plays, shortcuts, and crazy Route Changes you can trigger......which of course will take out your opposition!

I find myself replaying the levels over and over to get 1st place, and to get maximum pointage to unlock additional cars and Bonus Events. This racing game has lots of replay value since its oh so fun to knock out a group of rivals with blitzing pyrotechnics and explosions going off in your face!

My only gripes so far is that you retread the same levels over frequently over the course of the game's Episodes......this racer needs more track levels (though the diversity is in the tracks themselves when you trigger Route changes). Also, there's only 2 camera settings (behind your car and outside front cockpit)....it would have been nice to select from a wider variety of viewpoints!

For an arcade racer that pulls exaggerated explosive punches, Split/Second is a real gem!

BUY THIS GAME!

You wrote that like you write for a gaming site. :lol

crispyben

omg rite said:
Also, there's a code to unlock a special Disney XD branded car, which I think is the best car out of those that you start with.

Go to the Options menu and press X, Down, X, Down, X, Down. There shouldn't be a chime or anything. Just go into Quick Play and it should be the car all the way on the left, the Ryback Mohawk XDX.

It should work with 360 and PS3 but it only works in Quick Play. (Maybe multiplayer as well, I haven't tried it yet.)
I added that into the OP, which I tried to make a little prettier... I'm missing some info, especially about the multiplayer and the preorder bonus cars. Can you guys take a look and help me complete it? Thanks.

Cypher

omg rite said:
You wrote that like you write for a gaming site. :lol

Haha, I wrote that after playing 3 hours straight of the game while its aspects were fresh in my mind! Hats off to Black Rock Studio! :D

sun-drop

is the actual game any better than the demo? send of speed wise?

i found the demo to be so tame ..yeh shit is exploding around you .. but for whatever reason it just didn't give me a charge like say a burnout in ..err ..burnout.

just felt way too one-speed to me ... ?

crispyben

sun-drop said:

i found the demo to be so tame ..yeh shit is exploding around you .. but for whatever reason it just didn't give me a charge like say a burnout in ..err ..burnout.

just felt way too one-speed to me ... ?
I will only have the game tomorrow, but the consensus seems to be that the demo has the slowest car, so it can only get faster as you progress through the game. How fast, that I don't know. Maybe look at some videos? I've linked a few in the OP.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The OP lists 5 'environments', just how much variety is there? Is the demo track one of the 5, or are there several tracks within each environment? I love the concept for the game and enjoyed the demo, but I am a little concerned about the amount of content.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
Well, shit, the PC version has a 30 fps cap on it. :\ No matter the settings, you're not getting higher than 30 fps.

That said, at least I can use Very High and get a rock solid framerate. I just wish the game supported 60 fps and can't begin to imagine why they locked it. :(

Maybe scripted events and animations are tied to that particular framerate, a la Halo?

crispyben

Ushojax said:
The OP lists 5 'environments', just how much variety is there? Is the demo track one of the 5, or are there several tracks within each environment? I love the concept for the game and enjoyed the demo, but I am a little concerned about the amount of content.
Again, without having played the game, there seems to be multiple tracks within each of the 5 environments. Some share stretches, others are completely independent I think. The demo track would be one the tracks from the Airport environment.

We need somebody who played/finished the game to answer this :D

kinggroin said:
Maybe scripted events and animations are tied to that particular framerate, a la Halo?
I think the answer might be somewhere in there: DF tech interview

kinggroin

Banned
crispyben said:
Again, without having played the game, there seems to be multiple tracks within each of the 5 environments. Some share stretches, others are completely independent I think. The demo track would be one the tracks from the Airport environment.

We need somebody who played/finished the game to answer this :D

I think the answer might be somewhere in there: DF tech interview

That only explains why they went with 30fps on consoles. From reading all that, it just seems the PC version had a shitty development.

Haunted

Liked the demo, will purchase down the road if the PC version doesn't have any issues.

edit: PC version locked at 30fps? Disappointing performance? Oh cock. :(

sun-drop said:

You earn credits througout the career mode to unlock new cars which get a lot faster the more you progress. So yes, the retail version is a lot faster than the demo.

(The difficulty is a lot harder too.)

Ushojax said:

The environments are:

- Airport
- Docks
- Power Plant
- Canyon
- City

There are 12 tracks total for normal races all very well designed. Sometimes you can change the route more than once at the same part of the track. Really, the tracks are grat.

There are a few more tracks for the additional events like survival etc...

One minor thing about the game I've noticed so far is that the music is really good. Most racing games have pretty forgettable music but a lot of the stuff is really catchy and perfect for the game.

Cahill

Banned
Thanks for the Official Thread crispyben... good job man!

Looks like I won't have the game 'till Monday (Amazon regular shipping) :(

GitarooMan said:
One minor thing about the game I've noticed so far is that the music is really good. Most racing games have pretty forgettable music but a lot of the stuff is really catchy and perfect for the game.

Yeah, i dunno it feels pretty amazing when you get into first place on the final lap and the music is really pumping and heart pounding as you try to beat the computer player to the finish line, lol. Even after doing some races 8+ times to get first place, the music sounds so worthy still.

crispyben

Fortinbras said:
The environments are:

- Airport
- Docks
- Power Plant
- Canyon
- City

There are 12 tracks total for normal races all very well designed. Sometimes you can change the route more than once at the same part of the track. Really, the tracks are grat.

There are a few more tracks for the additional events like survival etc...
Thanks updated the OP to reflect all this.

Cahill said:
Thanks for the Official Thread crispyben... good job man!
Thanks for the banner!

Metalmurphy said:
Hey dark10x, can you post some screenshots? Haven't seen the PC version yet.
Some PC shots are linked in the Screens section of the OP.

I also created the Online thread and added it to the OP, in case we want to discuss online meet-ups there if this thread happened to get to crowded :lol

Vexidus

This game is surprisingly fun!

I dig that it's actually challenging too, but sometimes you get crashed cheaply toward the end of the race and go from 1st or 2nd to like 4th or 5th. At first I was all over the place but then I got the hang of drifting and that makes a huge difference. Now I can get level 2 power plays going in the first minute of the race, and cause more epic mayhem that way.

I tried racing online but kept getting my ass kicked by people using better cars I don't have access to yet, so I'll give that a go later when I've finished the single player career.

Overall I'm enjoying the game a lot and I'm glad I bought it, it's a nice change from all of the third person action games I've been playing lately.

Yeah, it took me 7-8 tries to get first place on the first Air Strike event. I think the best strategy I've found so far is to go as fast as possible and outrun them, although on tight turns that becomes difficult.

Played a couple of online races, luckily got the played with BlackRock devs achievement right away. Maybe there is actually a way to do this, but they should let you limit the car class in a race because I was playing races with a way too huge disparity in car speeds.

Yes. Split Second Official thread.

And, it looks like all the Burnout Paradise regulars are here! :lol

Yeah, the AirStrike stages haven't been super super awesome. In my head it played better, but I can see why.

Loving the rest of the game right now, especially the whole drifting mechanic, which is much more complex than the surface seems.

I don't know if this is just me, but the game has done a hard crash on me twice just after the countdown ends to start an online race. Very annoying.

RedStep

Cypher said:

BUY THIS GAME!

Disney, what are you doing in here?

But seriously, the game is great. $36 from Amazon after $10 gift card (and a free poster) was too good.

Kolgar

Thanks for the official thread, OP.

From the day I first saw screens and vids of this game, I knew I must have it. The demo crept up on me, and I've been playing heck out of it on both 360 and PS3. Ordered the 360 version which is in transit to me now. Can't wait.

I agree with a previous poster who said he just wanted a fun game with no fuss. I find myself grinning like a loon every time I play the demo, and that's my idea of entertainment value for money.

Fladam

Enjoying the game so far.

Not so thrilled with the lack of tracks, but the action keeps things interesting.

The real question is whether S/S will win me over... or just hold me over...

This game sucks. It has the cheapest A.I. and rubber banding I've ever seen in a racer. Events like Air strikes and Elite races are all but impossible to finish first in.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game handles the whole speed and dodging debris really well. Feels so awesome barely missing some crazy obstacle and hearing the sound buzz by you while your screen shakes and gets splattered with crap.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This game sucks. It has the cheapest A.I. and rubber banding I've ever seen in a racer. Events like Air strikes and Elite races are all but impossible to finish first in.

What? Air Strike is one of the less challenging modes to get 1st Place on. You can see the marks so far in advance that isnt that difficult to plot the path. Also using a vehicle with high strength makes it easier since the shockwaves wont send the car out of control. Im on episode 5 and managed to get first on each of the air strikes thus far. Elite Racers take practice but I often edge out with about split second wins on those, the enemy is highly susceptible to the level 2 powerplays.

Detotonator though, takes too much practice to get first.

I think Ive finally nailed being able to aim for 1st on the one in Episode 5, lol after 3 hours of retrying

robot

Finally got some time in with the game. Loving what I've played so far, well worth the money if you're into arcade racers.

- Overall it's a very intense game...huge explosions, tons of close calls, aggresive AI, a lot tougher than I was expecting (and the demo).

- I don't mind the rubberbanding too much since it does work in your favor - crashing sets you pretty far behind and it makes for some great finishes.

- Championship races are just crazy - every opponent is a beast. Love how Time Trail races have most of the power plays automatically triggered since its a solo race. The helicopter event seems kinda out of place but really fun.

- Slick presentation - really impressed with it. Amazing graphics throughout...love the color filters they're doing, can see it being copied in other games. Last time I saw something similar was NBA Street Homecourt.

- Soundtrack is a perfect fit, sound effects are great as well. Playing through surround sound and the bass is extreeeeeeme. Really adds to the intensity.

- Still trying to get used to powerslides. Don't like the trucks at all. Really like the whole fictitious car angle...prefer it to licensed cars since there's more opportunity for concept like designs (and I really like ridge racer).

Pancho

Qurupancho
Sweet! And I was wondering why there wasn't an official thread of this game :D

So far I've gotten to episode 4 in SP, played for a few hours online with some of my friends, had a blast. I'm very dissapointed though with the fact that you can't make a party and go play with other random people, it's either with randoms or a private match with your friends.
Kind of sucks unless you've got enough people who have the game.

Edit: There's an update in the PS3 version today, anyone knows what it does?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Good point good point.

So does anyone have any extra 360 exclusive car codes? Specifically GameStop, though I know there are others at some UK stores (dunno if those would work in America though).

Edit: Actually, I see that Walmart has something too? Dammit.

i'm usually immune to video game advertisements, but the ad for this game is getting my game-boner pretty damn hard. i'll keep watch upon this thread to see if it's worth actually paying full-price for.

Top Bottom