• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

Aaron

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This game sucks. It has the cheapest A.I. and rubber banding I've ever seen in a racer. Events like Air strikes and Elite races are all but impossible to finish first in.
I have placed first in the first four elite races. The only ones I've played so far. Not hard.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Honestly, rubber banding and cheap A.I. is simply something most racing games will have. And ones that have weapons like Blur or Split/Second or Mario Kart will ALWAYS make luck a factor of the gameplay.

But I don't give a shit, they're fun.

Air Revenge was quite interesting, lol. Drifting is vital.

Some of the levels Ive played tons of times and Im still in awe at some of the carnage. The feasibility of just thinking of a tv show with enough money to put detonators in all of these things, like the silos of nuclear power plants, or backbone of bridges that trains use, lol.

Aaron

omg rite said:
Honestly, rubber banding and cheap A.I. is simply something most racing games will have. And ones that have weapons like Blur or Split/Second or Mario Kart will ALWAYS make luck a factor of the gameplay.

But I don't give a shit, they're fun.
There's no real luck involved here. You need to know where the explosions are, know the course, and when you're ahead of the pack, don't slow down (which means drifting as little as possible). So far, keeping to this has netted me a first place finish each time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Aaron said:
There's no real luck involved here. You need to know where the explosions are, know the course, and when you're ahead of the pack, don't slow down (which means drifting as little as possible). So far, keeping to this has netted me a first place finish each time.

Yeah, I don't really agree with this game having a lot of luck involved but someone else in the thread mentioned it.

noonche

After playing the PS3 demo I have the following questions:

* Can you remap the controls and get accel and brake off the stupid triggers?
* Can you disable rumble?
* Can you adjust volume/music levels so the car sounds are annoying as fuck?
* How's the AI in the final version, I couldn't get a feel for it from the demo. Rubber banded?
* Is either the PS3 or the 360 version markedly different from the other?

Insayne

I got this on PC, running windows Vista

However, the Triggers don't work at all in the game. Is there any way to fix this?

(I tried updating drivers, which does not help the issue)

Got to play for a little bit yesterday, got 1st on every event in the first episode, some took a few tries, and got 1st on the first part of the second episode then had to quit. This game is a blast. The speed is feels much faster to me than the demo, and Im not even to the really fast cars yet. Is there rubberbanding? Yeah, but you know what? In THIS game, I dont mind it. It's not THAT bad, and it keeps it a game all the way to the finish line and can create some absolutely epic finishes. It can even help you.

Didn't play any online, figure there is no fun to be had doing that until I get some better cars.

Spookie

TheApatheticOne said:
Yeah, but you know what? In THIS game, I dont mind it. It's not THAT bad, and it keeps it a game all the way to the finish line and can create some absolutely epic finishes.

Quite. If there wasn't people going bumper to bumper setting off explosions left right and centre the game would be rather flat. Now I'm in to episode 6- Jesus! The cars are like driving the Batmobile I put my foot down and the damn thing takes off. Now only if I could get it round the corner with out hitting every barrier. :lol

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
so, the release date in australia has been pushed back... quite disappointing.

Spookie said:
Quite. If there wasn't people going bumper to bumper setting off explosions left right and centre the game would be rather flat. Now I'm in to episode 6- Jesus! The cars are like driving the Batmobile I put my foot down and the damn thing takes off. Now only if I could get it round the corner with out hitting every barrier. :lol

:lol I feel you!

I mean, in just the first episode, which contains only 6 races, Ive had 2 races that were absolutely amazing and gave me a feeling I haven't had while playing a racing game since Burnout Revenge for 360. Even games I lose, there's always AT LEAST 2 or 3 moments that have you on the edge of your seat.

robot

omg rite said:
That has to be wrong. I just took the game back from my brother to play it. He was playing online for an hour and a half.

Played online last night and had no problems finding games quickly.

The one thing that does suck is cars are not classed, which means anyone can pick whatever car they have unlocked. Makes for some pretty frustrating races considering theres at least one or two people with the best cars, although I did place 2nd in Survival with a low classed truck.

But they conveniently have an "unlock all cars" key available for purchase on the marketplace. Sorry but I'm not falling for that one.

alske said:
After playing the PS3 demo I have the following questions:

* Can you remap the controls and get accel and brake off the stupid triggers?
* Can you disable rumble? Yes
* Can you adjust volume/music levels so the car sounds are annoying as fuck? Yes
* How's the AI in the final version, I couldn't get a feel for it from the demo. Rubber banded? Yes, the computer cars are always on your tails, at times they will also pull out many seconds ahead of the pack in the elite races, thankfully powerplays can add some balance
* Is either the PS3 or the 360 version markedly different from the other?

ZeoVGM

Banned
robot said:
But they conveniently have an "unlock all cars" key available for purchase on the marketplace. Sorry but I'm not falling for that one.

Yeah, terribly dumb idea. So now those who want to play online while playing the single player game the correct way (such as myself, as I find it fun unlocking shit and progressing) have to play against people who bought everything day of.

At least don't put it up for a month or something. Not day-of.

Yeah, that aspect is very disappointing because when I played the relatively gimped demo, I really, really was itching to see what online would be like. But as soon as I heard it wasn't broken down into classes, Ive decided to go through the single player first.

Osietra

Banned
robot said:
Ugh, what a dick piece of money grabbing.

omg rite said:
Yeah, terribly dumb idea. So now those who want to play online while playing the single player game the correct way (such as myself, as I find it fun unlocking shit and progressing) have to play against people who bought everything day of.

At least don't put it up for a month or something. Not day-of.
Yeah, this is terrible. At the least I really, really think they should allow for car class restrictions in online. 99% of the online races devolve into "class" warfare, with the supercars jumping out in front, and the rest of us plebes racing for scraps.

crispyben

I just can't win the first Air Strike event... Got close twice, but no cigar. Other than that, fun times, got cramps in my hands since I stopped playing Burnout Paradise a while ago :D

omg rite said:
That has to be wrong. I just took the game back from my brother to play it. He was playing online for an hour and a half.
Well, that, or I was doing something weird. 360 ver. 11:00 EST. Waited around 10 minutes on the "Quick Match" screen, then I was placed in a host room, by myself, and waited for another 10 minutes.

crispyben said:
I just can't win the first Air Strike event... Got close twice, but no cigar. Other than that, fun times, got cramps in my hands since I stopped playing Burnout Paradise a while ago :D

Pick the Cobretti GT RS as your car and you shouldn't have any issue. If you do it right you'll complete it in 1 lap (you shouldn't crash at all with that car).

crispyben

SolidSnakex said:
Pick the Cobretti GT RS as your car and you shouldn't have any issue. If you do it right you'll complete it in 1 lap (you shouldn't crash at all with that car).
Thanks, I must have been using the wrong car, how did I not think of that? I'll try it later.

Ceebs

GHG said:
For those of you that have the PC version is this game DX9 or DX10?
DX9

Game seems to run fine on high on a X2 550 and a 4870. Whatever settings Very High adds are what murders the framerate for me.

Wow I kept thinking that the upper route in the Power Plant is the shortcut route when in actuality it seems to be the bottom route for the Episode 6 Detonator. Argh I just missed it by 0:28 !!! The car is hot though for it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Well, that, or I was doing something weird. 360 ver. 11:00 EST. Waited around 10 minutes on the "Quick Match" screen, then I was placed in a host room, by myself, and waited for another 10 minutes.

Dunno what it was but it wasn't due to a lack of people playing. That was the same time my brother was playing.

modeps

Neo Member
From the demo, this game really seems like a flash in the pan to me. Sure it's cool to see the explosions happen a couple times, but after you know what the limited Level 2 events are, that's all there is. Triggering scripted events. Probably worth a one time play through in a weekend, but I can't see it having legs at all.

crispyben

Just finished Episode 3 with all wins so far, pretty fun, but WTF at me being called Benito in the rankings after each event, I don't remember inputting that name... Or maybe in the demo? How's it going for you guys?

noonche

Dedication Through Light said:

Thanks. What about taking accelerate and brake off the stupid PS3 triggers?

As to the rubberband AI... Does it get as maddening as Motorstorm or Mario Kart?

alske said:
Thanks. What about taking accelerate and brake off the stupid PS3 triggers?

As to the rubberband AI... Does it get as maddening as Motorstorm or Mario Kart?

There arent any options to change the controls.
The AI isnt too bad, its just in the elite races, probably because they always have cars that are just better, and the tendancy to always be on your hills. If its a straightway in the course then they will always pass you, at least in my experience thus far.

robot

crispyben said:
Just finished Episode 3 with all wins so far, pretty fun, but WTF at me being called Benito in the rankings after each event, I don't remember inputting that name... Or maybe in the demo? How's it going for you guys?

Just got up to the 3rd Episode, but don't have all 1st in Ep1 & 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is really no talk of the poor PC version, is there? So few people have bothered. I really wish someone would find a way to unlock the framerate, but I suspect that will never happen. :(

modeps said:
From the demo, this game really seems like a flash in the pan to me. Sure it's cool to see the explosions happen a couple times, but after you know what the limited Level 2 events are, that's all there is. Triggering scripted events. Probably worth a one time play through in a weekend, but I can't see it having legs at all.
That's not really giving it a fair shake, I might say. It's akin to saying that once you've used each of the power ups in Mario Kart there is nothing left.

The power plays in Split/Second are as scripted as any attack in a kart racer, really. They simply aren't fired from your vehicle. Timing is the key ingredient that makes it work in the end. You can't just mash the button every time an icon appears and expect to win. You could just as easily blow yourself up or miss completely. It's not an automated thing.

Well Episode 7 seems to have upped the ante in terms of the difficulty of regular races, lol. I used to be able to rely on the level 2 powerplays but now those backfire on me and thank the heavens, the bonus race isnt a Detonator!!!

game rocks. sound design is fantastic and im glad the sense of speed seems much improved compared to the demo. the variation of tracks, destruction, cars, and game modes is great. i'm also loving the "televised" feel and direction.

hope this game isnt overlooked.

panda21

hey this is pretty good!

the production values are really high, looks very nice on the PC. just a shame they dont let you set the graphics options between low/med/high/very. high runs fine, very high kills it to death.

i imagine the fact that they arent selling this on steam (?!?!?!) means a lot of PC gamers just don't even know that its out.

great colours and effects though and it looks like there is a ridiculous amount of geometry detail in some parts.

dark10x said:
That's not really giving it a fair shake, I might say. It's akin to saying that once you've used each of the power ups in Mario Kart there is nothing left.

The power plays in Split/Second are as scripted as any attack in a kart racer, really. They simply aren't fired from your vehicle. Timing is the key ingredient that makes it work in the end. You can't just mash the button every time an icon appears and expect to win. You could just as easily blow yourself up or miss completely. It's not an automated thing.

yeah this. plus you actually have a pretty good chance at dodging a lot of the power plays so it feels a lot less unfair than in something like mario kart.

only problem with the mechanics is when you are in the lead theres not as much to do if you get too far ahead.

hope they make a sequel and flesh it out a bit more.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Played through the first event and I'm really liking it. The races are all tense and the powerups are unique. I powerplayed a car in front of me that dropped a huge concrete slab on it and made a nice ramp for me to fly over. Elimination mode is pretty fun so far, but I can tell it will be frustrating on the higher difficulties. Sense of speed is pretty nice, it seems much quicker than the demo.

alr1ghtstart said:
Played through the first event and I'm really liking it. The races are all tense and the powerups are unique. I powerplayed a car in front of me that dropped a huge concrete slab on it and made a nice ramp for me to fly over. Elimination mode is pretty fun so far, but I can tell it will be frustrating on the higher difficulties. Sense of speed is pretty nice, it seems much quicker than the demo.

Elimination actually stays pretty not too demanding (Im on episode 8). Im now facing difficulty with the races but I actually have a Cobretti that feels pretty fast!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Wow I got the game for PC ($39.99, $20 off console price and I was hoping for better image quality) and it runs like _crap_. I got a GTX 470 and the game crawls. It must be very CPU dependant because I have a Q6600 2.40ghz overclocked to 3.30ghz so it's a fairly old CPU. I got 8gb of ram and of course the GTX 470 has 1.2gb of Vram.

I tried playing it on Very High at 1280x720, stutters like crazy. We're talking 10 fps and lower here with very short bursts of 40+. At High the same deal, pretty much exactly the same. I tried 1024x768 and High just to test it and ran like crap.

Guess I'll try to take it back to see if I can get a refund. It really shouldn't run this bad on my system when I can do Crysis at everything Very High plus extra AA transparency AA at 30fps.

Looked like a fun game too :(.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I tried playing it on Very High at 1280x720, stutters like crazy. We're talking 10 fps and lower here with very short bursts of 40+.
I doubt you're seeing 40+ as the game is capped at 30 fps.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
dark10x said:
I doubt you're seeing 40+ as the game is capped at 30 fps.

The general point remains the same but if you felt the need to be rude about it and nitpick at one of my figures then fine. The "under 10fps" isn't exactly accurate either if, it's just in the range of completely unplayable. I did not have fraps running at the time so I was guessing. When you see bursts of smooth framerates (less than or a second) it's difficult to tell you exactly what the smooth framerate was and I wasn't aware of the 30fps cap.

Point remains I would really recommend not buying the PC version unless there's more positive feedback. Maybe it's the CPU creating the bottleneck and someone will do a benchmark.

Khrno

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This game sucks. It has the cheapest A.I. and rubber banding I've ever seen in a racer. Events like Air strikes and Elite races are all but impossible to finish first in.

WTF are you talking about? :lol

This is game is very easy, the only hard races are some of the Detonator ones, where it's hard to get first place, second place is a lock.

I beat the game and was missing 50 points from 5 Detonator races which I finished in second place and just gave up.

Peterthumpa

Difference from High to Very High is only the ingame AA being applied.
Just stick to High and play the game, you won't notice aliasing in the middle os all the destruction and awesomeness :D

Top Bottom