• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

arue

tumblr_nav8i8YYPS1sqju2mo3_1280.png

His name is "Servant", it could be someone else. Or something. Stranger things have happened.
even if it isn't him im going to hate the servant too i can feel it

I still think it's Komaeda. Turns out that his "tie" is a chain wow.

It's kind of weird to see Komaeda in his despair form AND as a servant, on top of that. I still expect more SDR2 characters to be shown later.

PK Gaming

tumblr_nav8i8YYPS1sqju2mo3_1280.png

His name is "Servant", it could be someone else. Or something. Stranger things have happened.

OH!

I hope the rest of SHSL Despair shows up. Man that would be terrific.

That's what I meant, the glove could be a confirmation, but at the same time it could be there just to deceive us.

Okay guys and gals, I have a request as a fan of the first game:

Please tell me the name of one interesting character that survives through the end of the game that I can safely become attached to. I played the first game and loved it, but every. single. trial. either the killer or victim was one of the characters that piqued my interest the most. I'd rather that not happen again over and over until we finally settle on the core group, none of whom I was wild about the first go around. Having a character I can safely keep my eye on during the game will help me enjoy the game better.

I will not be reading any posts that do not quote me directly, I will only be reading the first post unless sequential ones specify they will contain no other spoilers, and obviously I would not prefer spoilers outside of the fact that that one character makes it to the end of the game (if they die in the finale that is acceptable), or if everyone dies at the end feel free to lie.

Finally, no choosing Monokuma or Monomi or whoever the protagonist is.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION, ONELOVEGAF.

Nachos

Okay guys and gals, I have a request as a fan of the first game:

Please tell me the name of one interesting character that survives through the end of the game that I can safely become attached to. I played the first game and loved it, but every. single. trial. either the killer or victim was one of the characters that piqued my interest the most. I'd rather that not happen again over and over until we finally settle on the core group, none of whom I was wild about the first go around. Having a character I can safely keep my eye on during the game will help me enjoy the game better.

I will not be reading any posts that do not quote me directly, I will only be reading the first post unless sequential ones specify they will contain no other spoilers, and obviously I would not prefer spoilers outside of the fact that that one character makes it to the end of the game (if they die in the finale that is acceptable), or if everyone dies at the end feel free to lie.

Finally, no choosing Monokuma or Monomi or whoever the protagonist is.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION, ONELOVEGAF.

You said you didn't want a protagonist, but I honestly think Hajime is the most interesting character in the game, and it's not necessarily a given that a protagonist should survive all the way through.

I'd honestly go with
him
, but failing that,
____Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu, the ultimate gangster____

Case 5 was absolutely incredible, the shit Komaeda pulled off blew me away even more than THE huge twist, best character by a long shot.

Just to be sure, Mikan's beloved is Junko, right?

Yeah, that's right.

And speaking of Junko:

Quote courtesy of the ESRB rating said:
some even tried to have children with Junko's dead body

i don't even remember this in the original game holy shit

As I've mentioned before, while you can kinda see the twist of them being Ultimate Despair coming, they do a damn good job of making you realize how fucked up these kids are.

Yeah, that's right.

And speaking of Junko:

i don't even remember this in the original game holy shit

As I've mentioned before, while you can kinda see the twist of them being Ultimate Despair coming, they do a damn good job of making you realize how fucked up these kids are.
Thanks.
I just remembered Mikan talking about her beloved and thought Junko.

Beat it. What a game.

So anyone else pissed that the only character who truly died is Chiaki, which happened to be in a way that wasn't even her fault? So unfair :/

PK Gaming

Beat it. What a game.

So anyone else pissed that the only character who truly died is Chiaki, which happened to be in a way that wasn't even her fault? So unfair :/

Oh, you have no idea *_*

The one silver lining to her despair-inducing death was the speech she delivered at the end of the game.

"You only need to act in a way that you can be proud of yourself!

If you can love yourself … that “love” will cheer you on for the rest of your life.

Hinata_%289%29.png

Hinata_%287%29.png

While the game is more optimistic than the first as far as what we see, really thinking about it and reading the fridge horror section on TVtropes makes me realize how it's exponentially more fucked up in general.

Really thinking about the big twist is probably the worst of it:

Apart from Nanami, every single member of the main cast had been broken down into destructive, despair-motivated monsters "without a shred of humanity left" by Enoshima. This is easy to dissociate because those memories have been taken away...but think about it on an individual basis. Every single member of the class. Even the sweetest, kindest ones. Even Nidai. Even Ibuki. Even Sonia. Even the Super High School Level Impostor. Your very favorite character killed their family and friends and hundreds more in awful ways and rejoiced in the despair it brought them. The player character is a mass murderer. Even with their memories gone it's hard to think of them sympathetically without totally dissociating this.

The kind of shit they actually did probably couldn't even be shown in a mainstream game accepted by any rating board.

arue

While the game is more optimistic than the first as far as what we see, really thinking about it and reading the fridge horror section on TVtropes makes me realize how it's exponentially more fucked up in general.

The kind of shit they actually did probably couldn't even be shown in a mainstream game accepted by any rating board.
I agree with you, that was one of the biggest plot twists I've ever seen. I was like "No! Ibuki and Sonia can't be bad people!"

The TVTropes link was interesting too; I ended up reading the whole thing.

I want the comatose kids will come back, but that kind of defeats the whole theme of mutual killing that was present in the first and second games.

Lusankya

[...]Every single member of the class. Even the sweetest, kindest ones. Even Nidai. Even Ibuki. Even Sonia.[...]

I don't really get why they write "even Sonia". Sonia is one of the cruelest characters in DR2 even with her memories gone, only rivaled by Saionji. And at least Saionji is an honest character and never pretends to be a nice person, while Sonia totally fakes a more sympathetic personality.

Labrys

Chapter 2 trial question to those who got a review copy, did they rename Kirakira-chan (name of serial killer Peko was pretending to be) or did they keep it as is?

Nachos

Actually, I have some questions about chapter 2, too:

1). Is the arcade game still named some variation of "Syndrome" in English?
2). What was the message and input for the arcade machine code? Was it DULL START/Down-Up-Left-Left-Start, something involving pressing down five times, or something else entirely?

wouldn't it be funny if it was still a time travelers poster in the vita version and it was retained in the localization

i think it would be

Hilarious.

;_;

Actually, I have some questions about chapter 2, too:

1). Is the arcade game still named some variation of "Syndrome" in English?
2). What was the message and input for the arcade machine code? Was it DULL START/Down-Up-Left-Left-Start, something involving pressing down five times, or something else entirely?

1. Yes, Twilight Syndrome Murder or something.
2. Down 5, so yes.

Does everyone remember this fake image from Another Episode?

Turns out I found the twitter account of who made them and there's a bunch more of the SHSL Despair group.

All fanmade but they are pretty well done~

Yeah, those are really well done.

I feel like Spike doesn't have the balls to show the DR2 cast in their despair forms committing heinous acts, what with how sympathetic they were made.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Seeing their depravity first hand would be amazing, though I doubt that would fly for multiple reasons. I'm sure some of them were rapists in addition to mass murders.

Nachos

1. Yes, Twilight Syndrome Murder or something.
2. Down 5, so yes.

Do you remember what the message was exactly? I remember that being really hard for some translators to make work in English, which is why the Something Awful fan-translation ditched it entirely and went with DULL START.

Does everyone remember this fake image from Another Episode?

Turns out I found the twitter account of who made them and there's a bunch more of the SHSL Despair group.

All fanmade but they are pretty well done~
...I-Is Gundham wearing tiny coffins?

Do you remember what the message was exactly? I remember that being really hard for some translators to make work in English, which is why the Something Awful fan-translation ditched it entirely and went with DULL START.
I remember it being just DOWN 5.
Chiaki told Hajime to press down five times on the menu screen.

Nachos

All it said was down 5.

I remember it being just DOWN 5.
Chiaki told Hajime to press down five times on the menu screen.

Well, that's lame. I can't say I begrudge them for removing the original message, especially if they couldn't change the accepted input, but that was a neat little trick they pulled in the Japanese version.

Does Sonia still make references to obscure Japanese TV shows from the '70s, or were those changed?

Top Bottom