• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

MSMrRound

HLwFH6o.jpg

iW2tOh1.jpg

qVYvFs4.jpg

kOuQED1.jpg

b3OdFae.jpg

Twc2pte.jpg

W0yaZKy.jpg

Fkkw4Kq.jpg

qWNqYbL.jpg

sckHJCR.jpg

06aOeF0.jpg

lKOyUKu.jpg

quMpZiG.jpg

Might do another SS dump later. Let me know if there are any specific requests you might want to see.

Vylash

I was honestly pretty sad that they didn't do more with the Ultimate Imposter, i think that could've had some traction and it sucks that they just killed him off in the first case, unless that was faked somehow and he was actually impersonating Junko at the end

The more I think about it, the more I see DR2 as a kind of personal story compared to the first one, despite the former being more intense and having a seemingly larger scale all around. With DR1, we're treated to the deaths of several students broadcast all over the world and the collapse of society.

2 on the other hand is about a failed rehabilitation experiment that only affects the fate of 15 people. Yes, the extension of the tragedy is at stake and we get more information on it, but it's already been committed and it going further is ultimately stopped. On top of that, the only characters that actually die are computer programs which were likely going to die anyway once the forced shutdown became the only option. It's even outright stated it's a small incident that can't even compare to the school life of mutual killing both during the first game and before it with Izuru.

Pretty interesting way to bring things back around.

kewlmyc

The more I think about it, the more I see DR2 as a kind of personal story compared to the first one, despite the former being more intense and having a seemingly larger scale all around. With DR1, we're treated to the deaths of several students broadcast all over the world and the collapse of society.

2 on the other hand is about a failed rehabilitation experiment that only affects the fate of 15 people. Yes, the extension of the tragedy is at stake and we get more information on it, but it's already been committed and it going further is ultimately stopped. On top of that, the only characters that actually die are computer programs which were likely going to die anyway once the forced shutdown became the only option. It's even outright stated it's a small incident that can't even compare to the school life of mutual killing both during the first game and before it with Izuru.

Pretty interesting way to bring things back around.

Do you think the comatose students will come back at one point? Even if they do, Komaeda won't be long for the world due to his disease. Some rumor he the only one to actually die in the game since he's the only one that doesn't have that weird glitchy text during the final chapter.

Do you think the comatose students will come back at one point? Even if they do, Komaeda won't be long for the world due to his disease. Some rumor he the only one to actually die in the game since he's the only one that doesn't have that weird glitchy text during the final chapter.

Meh, by it being left ambiguous, people will generally latch onto the happier option if that's what the tone implies.

But yeah, thinking about it logically, Nagito is probably fucked either way and even if the other students do wake up, there's probably a good chance they'll revert to their despair forms.

That being said, it's still a comparatively small incident.

Vylash

there was a lot more fanservice in this game compared to the last one...mainly from Mikan

also why do you get underwear from the girls after completing their hope fragments?

Lusankya

I loved how she straight up disliked him. Probably due to fact that he never really saw her as a person.

I dunno, I hated her for that. She was needlessly and overly cruel to him and contrary to Saionji she isn't even honest about her cruel nature, but pretends to be a nice girl.
If I had to choose a buzz term to describe her it would be "fake bitch".

In the beginning I also thought that Soda should just give it a rest, but in the end he didn't even do that much and was always abused. Poor guy.

Vylash

I dunno, I hated her for that. She was needlessly and overly cruel to him and contrary to Saionji she isn't even honest about her cruel nature, but pretends to be a nice girl.

In the beginning I also thought that Soda should just give it a rest, but in the end he didn't even do that much and was always abused. Poor guy.

Poor guy? The same guy who creepily hung off of her every word and obsessed over her to the point tat he implied she slept with Hajime when they were together in the morning? Hard to feel sympathy for a guy like that, and honestly her rejections came across more as funny than cruel

MSMrRound

Souda came across as someone who is too pushy. Sonia is a rather sheltered princess from a small kingdom, so school life and living among the common is something new to her.

It was very clear that she was getting very uncomfortable with the way that Souda went about with his fascination or "crush" on her that he pretty much seems like the stalker type.

Probably why we see her flocking over to guys like Gundam etc and actively ignoring Souda, so as to "shoot him down in a sense".

Souda's crush on Sonia was a running joke in the game, but I always felt that Sonia might have been willing to become friends with him, should he not been so...overbearing and shameless in his pursuit of her.

Lusankya

Sonia is a rather sheltered princess from a small kingdom

That's the thing, I wonder if she really is as sheltered as she pretends to be.

Souda's crush on Sonia was a running joke in the game, but I always felt that Sonia might have been willing to become friends with him, should he not been so...overbearing and shameless in his pursuit of her.

Yes, I agree that Souda totally provoced her reactions but there were some (or just one?) I found needlessly cruel (and before that she was one of my favorite characters). I can't remember it exactly, maybe it was just some strange translation, but I will come back to it once I have replayed the official English release.

PK Gaming

I think she displayed the right amount of cruelty, given how he never took the time to treat her like an actual human being. He spends most of the game sexually objectifying her and is constantly a huge creep in her presence. He definitely deserves the blatant disrespect because of the way he acted. You think that just because he reneges on his creepy harassment that it excuse his past actions? Sonia isn't stupid; she's absolutely aware of the creepy shit he says, and the way he treats others (read: people who aren't Sonia). Poor guy my ass; he's fucking thrash. I can enjoy him as a character, but he's honestly a terrible person (even moreso than the rest!)

Labrys

Souda's a pushy creep, that's all there is too it. Guy couldn't take a hint and therefore made Sonia uncomfortable.

I dunno the official translation, but one part stands out, like Hajime is talking to Sonia in the morning and Soda rushes over and's like "hey who gave you permission to talk to Sonia?!" and she has to go "Uh, I did". Left an extremely bad taste in my mouth (towards souda).

MSMrRound

Pretty much obtained most of the trophies...except for that Magical Monomi all equipment thingy. 60+ items and they are random drops!? (If I'm not wrong) Urgh. I can tell it's going to be so much fun trying to farm that...

at least pet raising and island mode stuff are done. Nekomaru's route was pretty much the easiest. Just either answer with "Sports" or "Going to the toilet" stuff and you earn max affection from that trip ticket >.>

kewlmyc

I think she displayed the right amount of cruelty, given how he never took the time to treat her like an actual human being. He spends most of the game sexually objectifying her and is constantly a huge creep in her presence. He definitely deserves the blatant disrespect because of the way he acted. You think that just because he reneges on his creepy harassment that it excuse his past actions? Sonia isn't stupid; she's absolutely aware of the creepy shit he says, and the way he treats others (read: people who aren't Sonia). Poor guy my ass; he's fucking thrash. I can enjoy him as a character, but he's honestly a terrible person (even moreso than the rest!)
Pretty much how I feel about him. Fine character, but he's pretty much that one weird 3rd wheel that you just want to go away at times.

Souda's just a bundle of insecurity with a worldview that idealizes certain things like princesses. Dude's harmless compared to Teruteru drugging Hajime in his final free time event or Hiyoko having barely any redeeming qualities.

Also, he has the best reaction face in the game with those Umezu eyes.

I think Souda is the character I liked the least. He got annoying very quickly. Like very very quickly.
Also, there are some really nice pictures/fanart of Gundam and Sonia.

kewlmyc

Souda's just a bundle of insecurity with a worldview that idealizes certain things like princesses. Dude's harmless compared to Teruteru drugging Hajime in his final free time event or Hiyoko having barely any redeeming qualities.

Also, he has the best reaction face in the game with those Umezu eyes.
*high fives*
Glad I'm not the only one who thought she was just an overall terrible person. Maybe her Island Time makes her more likable in my eyes.

*high fives*
Glad I'm not the only one who thought she was just an overall terrible person. Maybe her Island Time makes her more likable in my eyes.
I didn't liked her either. I think that like Souda (or Hagakure in the first one) they exaggerate with what those characters do. Souda hitting on Sonia could have been fine if he didn't do it costantly throughout the whole game

Also, after replaying the last chapter of the first game, I think another reason why I enjoyed the second one more is that the people you end up with aren't all idiots (as far as I remember at least). In the first one, out of six, you have Hina, Toko and Hagakure who keep saying stupid stuff and that gets pretty annoying. The only "stupid" character in the second one is Souda I think.

PK Gaming

In Souda's defense, he was pretty much abused by his single dad, so it's no wonder he has a fucked up world view. Doesn't excuse any of his nonsense, but it makes him pitiable.
I'm not going to say Hiyoko is a sympathetic character but I at least found her to be horrible to a comical extent.

Yea, I feel the same way.

kewlmyc

I didn't liked her either. I think that like Souda (or Hagakure in the first one) they exaggerate with what those characters do. Souda hitting on Sonia could have been fine if he didn't do it costantly throughout the whole game

Also, after replaying the last chapter of the first game, I think another reason why I enjoyed the second one more is that the people you end up with aren't all idiots (as far as I remember at least). In the first one, out of six, you have Hina, Toko and Hagakure who keep saying stupid stuff and that gets pretty annoying. The only "stupid" character in the second one is Souda I think.

Akane is pretty dumb, but once Nidai dies, she mellows out.

Lusankya

I'm not going to say Hiyoko is a sympathetic character but I at least found her to be horrible to a comical extent.

Saionji_%283%29.png

Yeah, she is a horrible person, but all the scenes with her (and especially Mikan) are so much fun that she is one of my favorite characters in the game. I wish Akane could have died instead of her in chapter 3 and we would see Saionji until the end.

Saionji_%283%29.png

Yeah, she is a horrible person, but all the scenes with her (and especially Mikan) are so much fun that she is one of my favorite characters in the game. I wish Akane could have died instead of her in chapter 3 and we would see Saionji until the end.

Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong but iirc at one point she WAS planned to make it. However it would've been at the cost of Kuzuryu but in the end they were like "you know what? We've already made him go through a lot of shit and it would invalidate Peko's efforts, we should give him a break" and so things are the way they are now because of it.

MSMrRound

Souda and Akane were pretty stupid all the way to the end.

I like Sonia, but I wish that she could have been more involved in the story somewhat...rather than just going along for the ride as the pretty princess (nothing happened to her, but she also did pretty much nothing as well)

At least Kuzuryuu had some sort of character redemption on his end with Peko and stuff.

Akane is pretty much the Hagakure of DR2. Souda's pretty dumb, but I honestly can't say that she's smarter than him in any way...especially when she was the one that challenged Monokuma. Damn it lady. Nidal's death also did nothing to redeem her in the slightest bit.

PK Gaming

Souda and Akane were pretty stupid all the way to the end.

I like Sonia, but I wish that she could have been more involved in the story somewhat...rather than just going along for the ride as the pretty princess (nothing happened to her, but she also did pretty much nothing as well)

At least Kuzuryuu had some sort of character redemption on his end with Peko and stuff.

Akane is pretty much the Hagakure of DR2. Souda's pretty dumb, but I honestly can't say that she's smarter than him in any way...especially when she was the one that challenged Monokuma. Damn it lady. Nidal's death also did nothing to redeem her in the slightest bit.

Sonia was pretty involved! She was absolutely crucial for solving the 2nd case, and had important info on the special spear that Komaeda used during the 5th chapter. Heck, didn't she prove that Komaeda's bombs were fake? She was also a decent investigator and I believe Hajime agreed with her the most out of any character during the trials. If you ask me, Sonia was a pretty special character, even if she didn't do anything overt.

“I do not plan on killing anyone... nor have I any interest in meekly being killed!”

This friggin line. Up until then, I had written her off as that cute, quirky girl who gets killed off early OR a potential killer with skeletons in their closest. But like she says, she became neither of these things. I can honestly say this specific line influenced my entire outlook on DR2. In a game as volatile as DanganRonpa, it was rare to see a character resolve themselves to not being a killer OR a victim, and after reading it, I completely put my faith her surviving until the end. It was a strange (almost vindicating) to see her make to the end, in spite of everything.

MSMrRound

^Well reasoned. Typed that at 4AM, so I could have let some things slip from my mind. Apologies.

I might have felt that way because the role of the Point person usually fall towards Nagito and Chiaki, which takes some of the spotlight away from her.

Still glad Sonia and Kuzuryuu made it to the end (she was my first blind pick for DR2 waifus). Souda and Akane...eh...not so much. Guess there will always be a couple for each game...

I was horrible at getting attached to characters in Danganronpa. In DR1 it was Sayaka at first, then later Chihiro. Of course you guys already know what happened to them...back to back too >.>

The thing about 2 over 1 is their social links really do make the characters more sympathetic with the possible exception of Teruteru (who ruined it but still became sympathetic after his trial). In 1, many characters negate their sympathy by the end of their social links by doing or saying something stupid (like Hagakure asking for Makoto's organs).

On the subject of Souda, the guy is possibly the most important survivor for the game's aftermath if they want to revisit the whole coma plot line. In a way I did see him as the Hagakure of the game, but his talent is actually useful in a destroyed world.

MSMrRound

One new game mechanism that I really like a lot is the Character Rebuttals. Makes everyone feel a lot more involved since they can refute your points as well.

Could have been better executed though.

Vylash

Akane is pretty useless in general, at least Aoi had an active role in the first game, but all I remember is Akane giving me tons of shit because she was so stubborn about her gut being right

kewlmyc

Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong but iirc at one point she WAS planned to make it. However it would've been at the cost of Kuzuryu but in the end they were like "you know what? We've already made him go through a lot of shit and it would invalidate Peko's efforts, we should give him a break" and so things are the way they are now because of it.

Saionji surviving would be pretty crap, but then again, she starts to change after the end of chapter 2, so who knows. Kuzuuryu totally deserves it more though.

Sounds about right.

They wouldn't want to do it yet again like in the first game.

Labrys

Did you guys know Akane was originally supposed to have more of a Nagito/antagoist role in the game?

It's carried over in the names; Hajime (Hinata) means "Beginning" and (Akane) Owari meaning "Ending"

HUeUOc7.png

Top Bottom