• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ren and Rey flip-flop at some point, with Ren redeeming himself and Rey succumbing to the dark side, at least momentarily a la Luke in Ep VI. It would be a nice twist. I'd also just take Ren reverse Anakin-ing himself in the last movie, though, and going out with a light side oriented bang.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so maybe im dumb but how come the luke saber in this is blue/white where as in return of jedi when we last saw luke it was green ?

Zips

I know the emphasis is to be on the new characters, and that's good, but I still hope Luke gets some nice badass scenes in the next two movies (and doesn't die).

I feel he'll probably just end up mentoring Rey, have a cool scene in the extension of that flashback where he fights off all the Knight of Ren at once, and then maybe fail to beat newly trained by Snoke Kylo and possibly die.

At most the trilogy might end with something like him facing off against Snoke while Rey beats Kylo, and maybe Finn and whoever else taking on the other Knights of Ren - depending on how powerful they are. I feel like he won't die at least.

I know his restricted involvement is good, but this is like the equivalent of wanting to see Yoda kick ass in the PT. Only now they have a chance to do a better job of it.

Veelk

Banned
The blue lightsaber fell when Vader cut off his hand, I think he...borrowed the green one.

He made it himself.

I hope Rey gets her own color. It was so boring that the PT had every Jedi with a blue or green saber, with bad guys having red ones. Why? Especially since it's possible to have a unique light saber like Mace Windu had.

I don't know if this a theme or something, but everyone carries that Blue lightsaber and then takes up a different one. Anakin turned red. Luke turned green. I think Rey would look good with yellow/gold.

Kin5290

It's worth noting that there is absolutely no turning back from the dark side, if Anakin is any model. The only redemption to be found is one in death.

Asaaj Ventress is an example of a Dark Jedi who shifts vaguely goodwards, but her circumstances are vastly different. She was left without a support network, turned to the Dark Side out of rage and sorrow for her lost mentor, and then Count Dooku found her first. A close parallel would be if Rey was born in The First Order and raised a Dark Jedi under Snoke, but who eventually defects to the Light.

Having the heroine go Dark side for the sake of going Dark side is just stupid, and any kind of fall and redemption arc would not be able to fit in the remaining two movies of the trilogy.

prag16

Banned
Name another good female character in the OT.

What's the first thing Lando says to Leia in Empire?
Serious question.. how are you ever able to enjoy anything?

What satisfies your standards?

Just an example I watched the other day... possible Best Picture nominee Ex Machina
features Poe Dameron building an army of female sex robots and keeping them hostage at his estate
does that make that film automatically an evil piece of shit?

Not trying to be a prick, but laser focusing on one thing and viewing everything else through that lens just seems like a way to have a bad time.

Boke1879

He made it himself.

I hope Rey gets her own color. It was so boring that the PT had every Jedi with a blue or green saber, with bad guys having red ones. Why? Especially since it's possible to have a unique light saber like Mace Windu had.

I don't know if this a theme or something, but everyone carries that Blue lightsaber and then takes up a different one. Anakin turned red. Luke turned green. I think Rey would look good with yellow/gold.

I think George wanted to have blue and green=good, while red was evil.

When the PT came around. I think Sam Jackson asked Lucas if he could have a purple Saber. I think Lucas tried to explain to him his reasoning but Sam insisted. So Lucas just let him have one lol.

When the PT came around. I think Sam Jackson asked Lucas if he could have a purple Saber. I think Lucas tried to explain to him his reasoning but Sam insisted. So Lucas just let him have one lol.

Plo Koon had an orange saber for what its worth

EDIT: Just realized that they never actually show him using his lightsaber in the movie. Carry on

Veelk

Banned

Well, it's a nice thing he no longer has input. #NewSabreColor4Rey

Shaanyboi

Banned

I mean Clone Wars has a bunch of people with other saber colours. The Jedi Temple guards have yellow for example.

No reason they can't introduce a different colour, but no matter what, I imagine Rey will be using Luke's old saber, atleast for this next movie.

Serious question.. how are you ever able to enjoy anything?

What satisfies your standards?
Hold on here. Because Leia is practically the only female character in the Star Wars OT -- same for Padme and the PT -- this reads to you as if I have standards that are impossible to meet?
Not trying to be a prick, but laser focusing on one thing and viewing everything else through that lens just seems like a way to have a bad time.
You want me to view things as if I'm not a woman even though I'm a woman?

LosDaddie

Banned
I'd like Rey to have her own variation on the lightsaber, like Kylo has with the crossguard version. Another color other than blue/green would be a nice touch, as well.

I said Star Wars has a horrible history of treating female characters. You responded by saying Leia was (is) a great character, as if that was refuting my statement. I then asked you a series of questions as evidence for my statement, all of which you have decided not to answer.

So, I guess I want you to answer my questions for one. Two, I want you to explain to me why Leia being a great character invalidates the following statement: Star Wars has a horrible history of treating its female characters.

I already answered it, but since you seem to want the same answer expanded; Leia is a main character in the OT that i (and many others) liked. THerefore, like I said earlier, I disagree with SW treating female characters horribly.

Obviously you disagree with my take. That's fine.

But that's why I said both sides will argue in circles because each of them are looking at this from different perspectives.

Correct. But one side is calling the other sexist (which isn't new for this thread).

Boke1879

I'd like Rey to have her own variation on the lightsaber, like Kylo has with the crossguard version. Another color other than blue/green would be a nice touch, as well.

I already answered it, but since you seem want the same answer expanded; Leia is a main character in the OT that i (and many others) liked. THerefore, like I said earlier, I disagree with SW treating female characters horribly.

Obviously you disagree with my take. That's fine.

Correct. But one side is calling the other sexist (which isn't new for this thread).

If that's the case then yea that's wrong.

it would be great of them to borrow from Bastila's design
VrxAUbd.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rey's lightsaber should have no color. It should be clear.

Ashoka would be pissed.

JO0FCYXl.png

I think a yellow one would be cool so we might see some more colors among the Jedi. If not yellow then blue so we can have that classic red v blue when she faces Kylo again.

Veelk

Banned
My alltime favorite lightsaber color is Black, but I feel it looks too out of place for it to be anything but the super speshul magic lightsaber. Like, it can't be a ordinary lightsaber, it would ahve to be a light saber excaliber

S0vS8.jpg

Bishop89

I don't like the idea of having different coloured sabers, at least for the evil dudes. A sith who is in black with a red saber is just extremely iconic and looks amazing.

speaking of Finn.

I can see a huge revenge plot for him in the next film. I bet he wakes up from that coma PISSED

hopefully he gets some sick mechanical upgrades too

ELYSIUM-POSTER_612x380.jpg

and I hated Elysium

Really hope this doesn't happen.

In a universe where character have amazing feats based on their own internal senses/power...ugh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
He made it himself.

Multicolored lightsabers was the best thing about the EU. In fact, I bet everyone lost their shit back when Jedi came out and Luke's was green! I know that his green saber is the first mental image that RotJ calls to mind whenever someone mentions the movie.

But yeah, yellow would be perfect for Rey.

prag16

Banned
Hold on here. Because Leia is practically the only female character in the Star Wars OT -- same for Padme and the PT -- this reads to you as if I have standards that are impossible to meet?

You want me to view things as if I'm not a woman even though I'm a woman?
Wow. Way to twist and put words in my mouth. On mobile now. May reply later if this gender based shit slinging is still going on.

sphagnum

Banned
Asaaj Ventress is an example of a Dark Jedi who shifts vaguely goodwards, but her circumstances are vastly different. She was left without a support network, turned to the Dark Side out of rage and sorrow for her lost mentor, and then Count Dooku found her first.

To be fair, Ventress was shifting towards being an anti-hero at the end of TCW and the book Dark Disciple makes this rather explicit. But considering the circumstances of that book, I think it's fair to say that Yoda's "forever will it dominate your destiny" claim are still valid.

Vos also dipped pretty deep into the dark side, but we don't know his fate yet.

Wow. Way to twist and put words in my mouth. On mobile now. May reply later if this gender based shit slinging is still going on.

*sigh*

Not sure how I put words into your mouth. I like it when my gender is treated well and I have characters that I can relate to. Just because I point out Star Wars' terrible history of treating women doesn't mean I can't enjoy anything. (Honestly, to suggest as much shows a lack effort to understand things from my perspective.)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Watching that vfx video gave me goosebumps, cant wait for blur ray

Rey is tempted to kill Ren at the end of their duel, but she doesn't. She rejects that path. (One of the few major issues I have with The Force Awakens is the gulf that opens between them at the end of the fight, because it makes it much less clear that she's opting not to kill him.)

I think it winds up conveying things just fine, given that she's literally on the right side.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
My alltime favorite lightsaber color is Black, but I feel it looks too out of place for it to be anything but the super speshul magic lightsaber. Like, it can't be a ordinary lightsaber, it would ahve to be a light saber excaliber

S0vS8.jpg
Black sabers already exist but they aren't used by Jedi or Sith.
Team Blue Saber
Wait is this real?

Fencedude

Yeah, see, I totally missed that. Yes, Rey has killed when she hasn't needed to. But also yes, so have other characters, and it was never commented on. So why is that characteristic significant to Rey, but not Han or Luke?

Hell, Han straight up murdered a dude the very first time we saw him.

When this was changed to be self-defense, there was INCREDIBLE OUTRAGE

Top Bottom