• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Interfectum

It felt small, and I'm not trying to trash the movie, I am still hopeful for VIII. I still want to give VII a 2nd chance too. The OT definitely opened up in V, but still had this epic feel to it, there was something much larger out there. I was very disappointed with death star 3.0 and the first order/ resistance angle. A New Hope at least opened with some basic governmental and organizational structure.
I didn't hate the movie but I'm not in love with it.

I would say, by far, my biggest issue with Episode 7 was the lack of fleshing out the First Order / New Republic / Resistance dynamic. Just one scene with Leia discussing politics with a New Republic senator (or whatever) would have been enough. Though I can't blame JJ for minimizing her scenes... lol

Its usually the opposite, really. Give it a a few weeks and most people move on, and all that's left is just the people who are really emotionally invested in

Like compare "well this was a bit shit, now wasn't it" vibe of the first couple weeks of the MGSV spoiler OT, to when it died down and its mostly just the people who loved it.

It goes both ways. See any thread that brings up something like Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, previous threads on Star Wars that address the PT, etc...

Plenty of people get emotionally invested in arguing one way or the other. Those who've taken up an extreme stance in either direction tend to be the ones who will constantly revisit the topic to reiterate their stances over and over.

Sotha_Sil

Kylo Ren killing his uncle would be an underwhelming event after having killed his father in the latest episode. Luke probably won't see the end of the new trilogy, but I hope they find him a good exit. And he's probably still too young to pass away like Yoda, so I'm betting on a noble sacrifice of some sort. Or maybe a fight against Snorky.

It's certainly not my first choice of how to do it, as I'd prefer he survive.

Just saw it Saturday. I enjoyed it, but I need to see it a few more times.

Legit spoiler question - is it the consensus that Han (and Leia) know who Rey is (ie, parentage)? Maz asks, "So who's the girl?" And then it cuts away. And Maz knew to go looking for her in the basement. And the Leia hug at the end. It all just screams that the characters know something we don't.

Zabka

I'm glad they got the giant space station out of the way in TFA. Better to not do it at all, but I don't think anyone producing Episodes 7, 8 and 9 could resist doing a third Death Star at some point.

All these weird articles trying to tell us to not like the film, wtf?

My metric:

I walked out of TFA with a smile on my face: Win.

I walked out of The Phantom Menace feeling confused and disappointed: Fail.

Thats all that matters to me. The fact I've been getting hyped up for TFA for over a year and it still left me with a a smile on my face? Mega-ultra- WIN.

Pretty much. I was a 7 year old with very little concept of quality (My only PS1 games were Monsters Inc and the Hercules game), and I just remember being bored by Phantom Menace. And that is the most cardinal sin a film can be I think; dull.

From start to finish, "dull" is something you can never accuse TFA of being.

NYR

Legit spoiler question - is it the consensus that Han (and Leia) know who Rey is (ie, parentage)? Maz asks, "So who's the girl?" And then it cuts away. And Maz knew to go looking for her in the basement. And the Leia hug at the end. It all just screams that the characters know something we don't.
Nope. Not at all.

Guy.brush

I feel like Johnson and Trevorrow now have so much elbow room story wise and creatively. JJ got the ball rolling successfully so let's see where it goes. I too hope VIII and on gets more experimental but I do think VII was "right." It's pretty much how I thought things would be when it came to the look and where the Empire/Republic would be at this point.

Also they did an amazing job making these new characters, they're just as fun for me as the original gang and that's kind of a big deal. Like how Finn is a big deal lol.

Really? You thought the Empire would have a 20x bigger planet sized Deathstar III that is capable of having a flora and fauna and shooting its targets in real-time through hyperspace after their massive defeat at the battle of Endor and loosing their Emperor and hold on the galactic economy?

I think TFA has really good elements in act1 and the new cast is lovely but that starkiller base thing totally destroys the 2nd and 3rd act and with it the stakes and coherent nature of the movie.
It would have been enough if Kylo's STARDESTROYER would have featured as climactic vehicle, capable of destablizing a sun to the point it becomes unstable. It would be more fitting to the state the Empire is in also. Sneaky (ancient) stealth weapon on board their last remaining big ships.

Ashhong

Dammit, this killed me

giphy.gif

I was a little confused by the Leia hug at the end. Rey wouldn't even know who Leia is or what she looks like right? I can't remember if she and Han ever talked about her.

I think its fairly certain she is Luke's daughter. I doubt they are gonna go too far down the rabbit hole (she's Obi Wan's granddaughter or something), and the impact of Luke's daughter vs. Leia's son is ... awesome tbh.

I think Maz could send the force in Rey and later in Fin when she gave him the lightsaber.

I don't think Leia or Han know who Rey is.

I agree that Empire is better in terms of editing, definitely, and in some ways directing and writing. Not in every way, because I think TFA has the best lightsaber duel, and when Rey grabs the lightsaber is the best moment in any SW film for me. Set pieces are overall better in Empire, but TFA does have some that beat them, I think. Like the snowy woods setting for the lightsaber duel.

But being better at character arcs and drama (considering it had ANH to build on), TFA does a great job for being the first movie of a trilogy. Rey and Finn's arcs are great, and Han's death adds a lot of great drama, as well as the drama resulting from Rey and Finn going through changes.

So, for me, Empire does some stuff better than TFA, but not everything. Because of that, and the way the movie treats its female characters, I have to put Empire below TFA.

I think it's pretty great that we have a new Star Wars movie that can stand up to, and in plenty of ways, surpass some of the stuff from the OT. The lightsaber grab in TFA was a no bullshit amazing moment, Han's death scene as well for me. The duel itself was fantastic, but Empire's is still my favorite. The dramatic weight behind it, the progression of environments, amazing cinematogrpahy and pacing, the incredibly menacing atmosphere, the way they go from probing for weaknesses to force powers to all out assault, and of course the punctuation that is the climax.

But TFA had the snowy forest, the brutal physicality to it, the lightsaber grab, and that awesome ROTJ dolly shot. It was good shit. Can't wait to see how the Rey/Ren rematch plays out.

Interfectum

I think its fairly certain she is Luke's daughter. I doubt they are gonna go too far down the rabbit hole (she's Obi Wan's granddaughter or something), and the impact of Luke's daughter vs. Leia's son is ... awesome tbh.

I think if Episode 9 ended with an epic battle between Obi Wan's descendant (Rey) vs Anakin's descendant (Kylo) would bring the entire series full circle. That's what I'm hoping for.

Yes, I think we're supposed to conclude this.

The fact that they clearly intentionally hide whatever information they have from her had me reconsider my originally firm conclusion that she has to be descended from Luke. Whether she's Han/Leia's kid or Luke's, they're clearly keeping it from her, probably to avoid putting the same kind of pressure on her that they did on their son.

Its usually the opposite, really. Give it a a few weeks and most people move on, and all that's left is just the people who are really emotionally invested in

Like compare "well this was a bit shit, now wasn't it" vibe of the first couple weeks of the MGSV spoiler OT, to when it died down and its mostly just the people who loved it.
I think when it comes to blockbuster movies of this size, the negativity sticks around for a couple of months and then we'll be left with the emotionally invested guys who love the thing, as you said.

Since this is Star Wars, it comes under more scrutiny than usual from hardcore fans and general film fans. It's being held to such high standards that people are disappointed that it's just a pretty good movie rather than a Mad Max: Fury Road type thing.

That's my take on it but I could be wrong about the whole damn thing, which ain't nothing new.

I think it's pretty great that we have a new Star Wars movie that can stand up to, and in plenty of ways, surpass some of the stuff from the OT. The lightsaber grab in TFA was a no bullshit amazing moment, Han's death scene as well for me. The duel itself was fantastic, but Empire's is still my favorite. The dramatic weight behind it, the progression of environments, amazing cinematogrpahy and pacing, the incredibly menacing atmosphere, the way they go from probing for weaknesses to force powers to all out assault, and of course the punctuation that is the climax.

But TFA had the snowy forest, the brutal physicality to it, the lightsaber grab, and that awesome ROTJ dolly shot. It was good shit. Can't wait to see how the Rey/Ren rematch plays out.
Saaaaaaaaammmmeeee!!!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All these weird articles trying to tell us to not like the film, wtf?

My metric:

I walked out of TFA with a smile on my face: Win.

I walked out of The Phantom Menace feeling confused and disappointed: Fail.

Thats all that matters to me. The fact I've been getting hyped up for TFA for over a year and it still left me with a a smile on my face? Mega-ultra- WIN.
That was pretty much my metric. But I walked out of TFA with a feeling of emptiness and a half grimace on my face.

I love Star Wars. Two weeks ago, I would not have expected to be supporting critical tear-downs of TFA... But these articles are helping me to sift through the dissapointing feelings that I experienced walking out of the theatre.

I know they can only be seen as annoying click-baity party-pooper articles if you like the film, but for me it's cathartic.

The Birth Death Movies article and the NY Times article touch on what I'm feeling inside... That the film was cinematically messy and likely scraped together in haste, and that Star Wars has been pruned into a very safe and watered down franchise in order to not rock the boat and protect Disney's massive investment.

I wanted Star Wars, the revival of individual movies that each bring a unique new vision to cinema and work as films unto themselves. I got Star Wars, the episodic movie product whose boundaries are already well-charted and will be soullessly cranked out every year .... Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Marvel, Twilight, Star Wars. I should have seen it coming back in 2012.

Snoke is a name (a dumb name, too). Emperor is a title.

Vader was a former Jedi who was turned to the dark side by someone strong in the dark side of the force, the Emperor. Snoke, is just like, a guy, or creature, that may or may not be a dark side user?

He just feels tacked on. Forced into the story (pun intended). They needed the "emperor palpatine" of this story.

Yeah - do you think little kids care about CGI characters as much as adults? I hate them. I can't stand that there are at least 3 characters in this movie that are still fully CGI. Thought we'd be done with that by now, after all the horrendous prequel CGI.

They called him Supreme Leader loads of times, lol. And gave him a name.

But like... this seems pointless based off your replies.

Why is Leia so resolved to leaving her on the SK Base then?? I don't know, I feel like someone who's super intent on finding her brother would also be super intent on her niece not dying.

prag16

Banned

That's... well.

I do think J.J. is somewhat overrated.
I am NOT in the "Lucas sucks!" camp.
I am also not in the "prequels are awful awful garbage" camp.

However I still think that article is way WAY too extreme. Love the movie. The butthurt/cynical/pretentious backlash that is emerging is kind of amusing. When something somewhat similar happened with the TPM they at least had a leg to stand on.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

When did the negativity for the prequels die down again?

I have a hunch that Rey will end up being gay.

That would really get some people's panties in a twist.

Nahh, she definitely vibed on Finn... I think it would be great if he turned out liking Poe though, and Rey is just sitting there like "aw wtf"

Really? You thought the Empire would have a 20x bigger planet sized Deathstar III that is capable of having a flora and fauna and shooting its targets in real-time through hyperspace after their massive defeat at the battle of Endor and loosing their Emperor and hold on the galactic economy?

I'm so indifferent about things like this. I don't really have a hard time believing that in a space fantasy that this order has been building a secret weapon within a planet for the past 30 years. Your criticisms are totally fair though to me, for what it's worth.

A few edits to the film I would make:

- Cut out Snoke saying "your father, Han Solo". Just leave it at "your father". Have the audience make the connection when Han tells Leia that they saw their son.

- Have the Vader Mask with Kylo scene happen after Rey is captured but before she is interrogated.

- Cut most of the dialog in the Han and Leia scenes. Reduce the amount of exposition in the first han/Leia scene. In the second scene before Han leaves, cut the dialog to just say "bring him home, he still has light in him".

- Edit out Chewie in the Leia/Rey hug.

- when Chewie is crying alone at the end, have him be near R2D2. This will give some plausibility to why R2 suddenly woke up.

My girl and I went and saw this yesterday in IMAX 3D. All I can say is damn; this is the best Star Wars I've ever seen. I'll prob. go to the theater and see it again; something I've never done before.

That shot where Poe takes out like 6 fighters while the camera follows Fin.....so good. I'm honestly amazed by this movie.

It felt small, and I'm not trying to trash the movie, I am still hopeful for VIII. I still want to give VII a 2nd chance too. The OT definitely opened up in V, but still had this epic feel to it, there was something much larger out there. I was very disappointed with death star 3.0 and the first order/ resistance angle. A New Hope at least opened with some basic governmental and organizational structure.
I didn't hate the movie but I'm not in love with it.

It sticking too closely to the tried and true setup of the OT is a common complaint that I share as well, but I think it was a very valid path to go down considering the proposition of making a new Star Wars after the prequels. And I think the movie succeeds in spite of and because of that closeness. It's too familiar, but it does immediately make the movie feel like Star Wars people love through and through, but when the nostalgia and over-familiarity becomes a little too smothering (and it does) the actual meat of the story and characters--not plot points--is engaging stuff.

So I think TFA had a really tricky job to do, and even though it's far from flawless, it did the job admirably. I mean, it's the 7th installment of a blockbuster franchise that has to rectify the dissapoinment of the last three and rekindle what people loved about the last three, and introduce the universe to a whole new generation, and somehow feel fresh. I think it succeeded in almost all those goals, which is a marvel in itself.

I have a hunch that Rey will end up being gay.

That would really get some people's panties in a twist.
This is exactly what I want! In fact, I am HOPING so hard that this turns out to be the case. You have no idea how much I am hoping this is the case.
Nahh, she definitely vibed on Finn... I think it would be great if he turned out liking Poe though, and Rey is just sitting there like "aw wtf"
Seeing the film three times, there was no "vibe" she gave Finn beyond friendship. Hell, Poe shows more interest in Finn than Rey does!

- Cut out Snoke saying "your father, Han Solo". Just leave it at "your father". Have the audience make the connection when Han tells Leia that they saw their son.

- Have the Vader Mask with Kylo scene happen after Rey is captured but before she is interrogated.

- Cut most of the dialog in the Han and Leia scenes. Reduce the amount of exposition in the first han/Leia scene. In the second scene before Han leaves, cut the dialog to just say "bring him home, he still has light in him".

- Edit out Chewie in the Leia/Rey hug.

- when Chewie is crying alone at the end, have him be near R2D2. This will give some plausibility to why R2 suddenly woke up.

I believe most people are pointing to this as an indicator of Rey being Luke's daughter. They said R2 has been in low-power mode since Luke left and no one knew why, and then when Rey shows up R2 wakes up. Not a coincidence IMO.

JeTmAn81

Reminds me of the people complaining about Mad Max: Fury Road because it "didn't have a story" or "was pointless" or "had no plot or meaning behind it"

just facepalms all around

Admittedly I *still* haven't seen Fury Road (I've been waiting to try to watch it with my friend for soooo long) but judging by previous Mad Max flms, story is beside the point. The Road Warrior was one big chase as I'm expecting Fury Road to be, and it was amazing, but we expect something different from Star Wars. Plot's a lot more important in these movies.

This is exactly what I want! In fact, I am HOPING so hard that this turns out to be the case. You have no idea how much I am hoping this is the case.

Seeing the film three times, there was no "vibe" she gave Finn beyond friendship. Hell, Poe shows more interest in Finn than Rey does!

I just don't want the "tough girl turns out to be a lesbian" thing to happen. It is almost starting to turn into a trope (in before someone avatar quotes me).

I mean I "would" like it if it happens, but I just hope it doesn't become something like the "tough girl" trope.

Nah, this ain't true. That post-game celebration in the Falcon was definitely "I think I like you," for one example.

Yep, that scene specifically is what made me see sparks between them. But again I'd LOVE that to be a bait and switch for Poe x Finn lol

JB1981

The sooner people realize that Empire Strikes Back is the only really fully good Star Wars movie out there, the better off they will be.

TFA is the third best and that's just fine with me. Yeah, it's pretty silly at times, and has plenty of issues, but those aren't issues that are foreign to the series, and it happens to have a lot of smart craft behind it as well. It's not even that far removed in quality from A New Hope tbh, and it even does a lot of things better than it. But most importantly of all, it feels like Star Wars. And I think feeling like Star Wars is really the most important part to these movies, because that feeling is what people love about them.

Nah ANH is a 10/10 film. Does pretty much everything better than TFA, the climatic battle most importantly

Admittedly I *still* haven't seen Fury Road (I've been waiting to try to watch it with my friend for soooo long) but judging by previous Mad Max flms, story is beside the point. The Road Warrior was one big chase

Nah, story's not beside the point.

Also, Road Warrior wasn't one big chase. There WAS one big chase at the end, but Road Warrior isn't structured like Fury Road at all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That shot where Poe takes out like 6 fighters while the camera follows Fin.....so good. I'm honestly amazed by this movie.

On my second viewing I got goosebumps when that hit. Such an incredible shot.

I think I love Rey's opening scenes in the desert most though. The vast landscapes, Rey's theme, the scene in the AT-AT, pure magic. That entire desert opening is one of my favorite SW segments now

Blader

Are you kidding? Some people don't even understand what the film wrote out for them in the opening crawl.

There's some overly expository dialogue in the movie (basically any line that uses the words "republic" or "resistance"), but I think this line is fine as is.

You just made me realize that TFA will inevitably have fan edits and I honestly can't wait to see what that looks like.

Like all fan edits, probably much worse.

Top Bottom