• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Ambient80

I'll put it this way:

When Maz Kanata asks "who's the girl?" in her pub, the scene cuts. So we know Han talked about Rey with Maz, and then Maz shows up in the basement where the lightsaber is. This is the scene that gives most people the impression that Han knows who she is.

However, later in the film we hear that Han told Leia about "the girl" (when Leia first meets Finn), but that part of their conversation is likewise cut from the film. What exactly did Han tell Leia?

On top of that, Han says that he didn't find the Falcon "by coincidence," but we're apparently supposed to believe that it's a coincidence that he didn't check out the precise part of Jakku where Rey was living when he was first looking for it - the girl whose past he knows but won't tell her about.

Interesting. Man, I'm always amazed at how people pick up on these details in movies haha. I'm the worst at putting pieces together like that :(

God I am so hyped to see what Rey and Luke say to each other at first. Will he just blurt it out (My daughter...)? Sort of tell her the story/reason for abandonment over time? Give her clues to let her figure it out on her own as a sort of test?

Now I'm picturing her training with Luke and he's riding on her back like Yoda did to him lawl

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Guy.brush

You know what, I actually forgot the fact they hadn't met until that scene so now it's doubly hilarious to me.

What is even more hilarious is that they had Chewie arriving at the Resistance base after Han's death and there is zero interaction between him and Leia. He just walks past her. Wouldn't you want to hug your husband's partner of 40 years and favorite walking carpet after something like this? Just felt super odd.

OnPoint

Interesting. Man, I'm always amazed at how people pick up on these details in movies haha. I'm the worst at putting pieces together like that :(

God I am so hyped to see what Rey and Luke say to each other at first. Will he just blurt it out (My daughter...)? Sort of tell her the story/reason for abandonment over time? Give her clues to let her figure it out on her own as a sort of test?

Now I'm picturing her training with Luke and he's riding on her back like Yoda did to him lawl

If they do a time-skip, like they have in all of the previous movies, you won't see that right away, if at all. The movie will pick up 1-5 years later.

Interfectum

That scene sounds boring and pointless. People say the scene in ANH with Tarkin is "politics" but it's all about establishing the power of the Death Star and how they think it can't be taken down, not politics. The scene described above wouldn't work.

It adds context and weight to the New Republic planets getting destroyed though. I'm betting JJ cut it out due to Fisher's acting and her late dramatic appearance. The problem he didn't consider and/or care about was we have very little context for First Order/New Republic/Resistance dynamic and that scene would have pretty much covered it.

What is even more hilarious is that they had Chewie arriving at the Resistance base after Han's death and there is zero interaction between him and Leia. He just walks past her. Wouldn't you want to hug your husband's partner of 40 years and favorite walking carpet after something like this? Just felt super odd.

Probably didn't want to tell her (not like she could understand, maybe..)
Or they exchanged off screen glance.

If Disney/Lucasfilm wants even more of my money-- and I know they do, you guys do want the moolah, right? -- they'll release an extended version.

Ambient80

If they do a time-skip, like they have in all of the previous movies, you won't see that right away, if at all. The movie will pick up 1-5 years later.

I'm so out of my element here haha. True true, we may not see what they say at all. Could pick up at end of her training or something. How long was Luke with Yoda overall?

Hm...I doubt the first possibility but the second could work. Still feels weird in the moment when watching the movie though. What do you mean they explicity reference something off screen?

Not to argue for or against his point but if Rey was able to Recognize Han and knows about Luke.. then it's not too much of a stretch to think she'd have heard of Leia as well.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll put it this way:

When Maz Kanata asks "who's the girl?" in her pub, the scene cuts. So we know Han talked about Rey with Maz, and then Maz shows up in the basement where the lightsaber is. This is the scene that gives most people the impression that Han knows who she is.

However, later in the film we hear that Han told Leia about "the girl" (when Leia first meets Finn), but that part of their conversation is likewise cut from the film. What exactly did Han tell Leia?

On top of that, Han says that he didn't find the Falcon "by coincidence," but we're apparently supposed to believe that it's a coincidence that he didn't check out the precise part of Jakku where Rey was living when he was first looking for it - the girl whose past he knows but won't tell her about.

No the scene looked more like "who is this girl?" and "beats me" or "we found this girl leaving Jakku" not "Oh she's Luke's daughter" or anything we didn't know already.

Han says it's no coincidence because in ANH he says "it's a coincidence" when Luke blocks the lasers and Obi says there is no such thing as coincidences. Just shows Han believes in the force.

This is one of those nitpicks that keeps getting brought up inverse to its actual importance in the film.

It's basically a so what. It's this film's "How come Chewie didn't get a medal." basically. A very minor oversight that doesn't get in the way of the emotion the film's trying to focus on unless you really want it to, or you're trying to goof on it for comedic purposes.

Yeah, you could say it's weird that Chewie just strolls right past her, just as it's weird that Chewie didn't get a medal. Or you could dive deep down that rabbit hole (which is what the complaint seems intended to do, open a door for experts to go into just how much the relationship between the two means, and how it should be represented) and just as equally suggest that maybe Chewie's not in a hurry to embrace Leia very much because he just dumped a shot in the kidneys of the kid she sent Han to retrieve for her.

I mean, Chewie's an emotional dude. Maybe he's not particularly happy at the idea that Han even tried what he tried, and he's not particularly happy that Leia was the one who told him to try it. And maybe he doesn't want to explain to her that he tried to murder the fucking kid as soon as he had the opportunity.

Or maybe it's just that the shot Abrams wanted was Rey (the lead) and Leia (the leader) hugging separately from the celebration. If Chewie had to walk on by like Isaac Hayes to get that shot? Shrug.

Veelk

Banned
This is one of those nitpicks that keeps getting brought up inverse to its actual importance in the film.

It's basically a so what. It's this film's "How come Chewie didn't get a medal." basically. A very minor oversight that doesn't get in the way of the emotion the film's trying to focus on unless you really want it to, or you're trying to goof on it for comedic purposes.

Yeah, you could say it's weird that Chewie just strolls right past her, just as it's weird that Chewie didn't get a medal. Or you could dive deep down that rabbit hole (which is what the complaint seems intended to do, open a door for experts to go into just how much the relationship between the two means, and how it should be represented) and just as equally suggest that maybe Chewie's not in a hurry to embrace Leia very much because he just dumped a shot in the kidneys of the kid she sent Han to retrieve for her.

I mean, Chewie's an emotional dude. Maybe he's not particularly happy at the idea that Han even tried what he tried, and he's not particularly happy that Leia was the one who told him to try it. And maybe he doesn't want to explain to her that he tried to murder the fucking kid as soon as he had the opportunity.

Or maybe it's just that the shot Abrams wanted was Rey (the lead) and Leia (the leader) hugging separately from the celebration. If Chewie had to walk on by like Isaac Hayes to get that shot? Shrug.

I wonder if there are any underlying wookie prejudices in Star War's societies that lead to some sort of segregation in acknowledging their achievements.

Johndoey

Banned
The First Order practically won.

But then Finn came in and screwed everything up.

Now there Ultimate weapon is moments from being destroyed, A new Force user is there to oppose them, his father got brought into the fight after years of running and is now dead at his hands, and they are still uno closer to finding his old master Luke Skywalker.

All because a Stormtrooper helped a Resistance pilot escape.

I'd be pissed too.
I prefer my interpretation personally.
I kid
Its like my yaoi

Ashhong

Han telling Leia about Rey.

We never see it happening on screen, but Leia references it.

Right, but I'm wondering when Rey found out about Leia enough to instantly recognize her in the crowd and go up and hug her. It's not a big issue to me, just a small thing that I feel was rushed. Maybe there's a deleted scene in there somewhere.

Not to argue for or against his point but if Rey was able to Recognize Han and knows about Luke.. then it's not too much of a stretch to think she'd have heard of Leia as well.

I can't remember, but does she recognize Han by his face or does she just know of him?

Nairume

Banned

There's also a valid point in how Chewie is tending to getting Finn to the infirmary, which we actually do see him starting to do.

Nah, this ain't true. That post-game celebration in the Falcon was definitely "I think I like you," for one example.

It was the classic "characters looking at each other *INTERRUPTION*".

Also, older man given younger man woman advice (Han to Finn).

Other things throughout the movie made me feel like it was clearly hinting at a future between the characters.

I'm hoping they go there. @Librarian I understand why you would prefer her to be into girls, but honestly, I feel like a bm/wf pairing in this movie would be just as progressive.

I'd be pretty disappointed in Rey/Poe. Definitely would be the safest/most boring.

Ambient80

My thought was that he was just really torn up about Han dying and didn't want to talk to anyone about it. Just sort of walking by, head down, "don't talk to me right now" sort of attitude. His best friend and partner of 30-49 years was just killed right in front of him by that guys only son. He's probably not in the best state of mind and was just walking somewhere to get somewhere quiet or secluded.

People handle death of a loved one differently, and his method may be just to be alone and mourn. That's how I took it.

He also offers her "a job". But more likely, he wants to keep her close and safe since she got of Jakku - something she probably wasn't meant to do.

Yeah, it's possible all the connections people are seeing are just red herrings.

But it is oddly suspicious that anytime Han introduces Rey to anyone, it's off screen.

It's also oddly suspicious that both of the characters he has these conversations with have very close interactions with Rey afterward:

- Maz discovers that she's stumbled on the lightsaber and says she's next in line after Luke to wield it
- Leia's very first interaction with her is a wordless hug

I figure all of Episode VII was Rey following breadcrumbs Luke had left for her.

But, man, I'm glad they didn't end this movie with the line "I'm your father."

No the scene looked more like "who is this girl?" and "beats me" or "we found this girl leaving Jakku" not "Oh she's Luke's daughter" or anything we didn't know already.

Han says it's no coincidence because in ANH he says "it's a coincidence" when Luke blocks the lasers and Obi says there is no such thing as coincidences. Just shows Han believes in the force.

Well, I figured he says it's no coincidence because he was looking for the Falcon the whole time anyway.

But if he was looking for the Falcon the whole time anyway and hanging around Jakku anyway, why wouldn't he have searched the one area where a girl he's connected to (either as an inlaw to her father or perhaps even her actual father) is living? It seems almost too convenient, especially since it's hugely probable that Rey was left there intentionally to keep her from following the same path Kylo did.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's kinda sad that the Maz passing lightsaber to Leia scene was cut. That whole mythic-feeling teaser trailer, and that shot in particular, lulled me into believing we were actually getting a new chapter of the gospel handed down from on high... Of course it was a typical movie that would have re-writes and re-shoots and cut scenes.... Alas. ;)

Right, but I'm wondering when Rey found out about Leia enough to instantly recognize her in the crowd and go up and hug her. It's not a big issue to me, just a small thing that I feel was rushed. Maybe there's a deleted scene in there somewhere.

I can't remember, but does she recognize Han by his face or does she just know of him?

She recognizes him by look. It's not defined well enough within the scene to know if it's just his face, his demeanor, the fact that he knows the ship well, his overall description and that he's hanging out with a Wookie, or maybe he says Chewy and it clicks.

It's just something that's shown that, as that scene goes on, she starts to suspect it until she's pretty certain and calls him on it. At that point it's revealed that's she knows all about him and she knows about the legends of The Force and Luke and all that.

Teletraan1

Banned
But then does Rey know Leia? Are we to assume Han showed her a picture or something so Rey would recognize her? Maybe Rey sensed the force in her?

My theory is that she was a youngling at the Jedi Academy that Luke was running. I think it is too obvious that she is Luke's kid but it is the most likely. When Ren and his Buddies turn the place out Luke takes off, han and leia disperse the survivors. Han knew that guy that was handing out the rations for parts, he had the falcon and his hand was the one holding Rey from running to the ship taking off when she was dumped on Jakku. Han also shows up right after they leave Jakku. I think he was secretly guarding her from afar like Ben Kenobi was luke in the OG movie. There has to be more to it then they are letting on. Plus they are both force sensitive, she could probably feel Leia's pain from losing han. Although my theory is that Han isn't dead since her reaction was so mild for someone who just lost the love of their life and her reaction was actually from sensing her son's betrayal but that is pretty tinfoil hatty.

Knows of him.
He says "..Tell them Han Solo just stole back the Millennium Falcon"

She probably heard stories about the infamous smuggler which she does bring up when they try to figure out his merits before Chewie shrugs it all off as if he doesn't know.

It's kinda sad that the Maz passing lightsaber to Leia scene was cut. That whole mythic-feeling teaser trailer, and that shot in particular, lulled me into believing we were actually getting a new chapter of the gospel handed down from on high... Of course it was a typical movie that would have re-writes and re-shoots and cut scenes.... Alas. ;)

I think it was the right decision for the film. Otherwise I think the lightsaber would have changed hands a few too many times. There's a nice, slick, logical progression from Maz to Finn to Rey in the final cut.

That scene felt incredibly awkward to me as a viewer.

It would've been better if they didn't show him at all until the next scene which shows him mourning.

Top Bottom