• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

El-Suave

mik

mik is unbeatable
You can't imagine how difficult it was for me to refrain from removing my pants for the volleyball victory pose photo.

Got my mum and brother to play a bit today. She loves Wii Sports Resort. She thought the Table Tennis in SC was "too hard", and I noticed she has some bad Wii habits. My brother was the same at first, but he had more patience. He was just waggling to hit and I told him to actually hit the ball. Then he was hitting in a static position and I told him to stretch if he has to stretch, and move his arm forward if he has to as if he was actually playing. After 3 rounds he was fine, and now prefers it to Wii Sports. Both my mum and brother instantly loved Bocce (my mums favourite Wii Sports game is bowling, and this is fairly close; she also liked High Velocity Bowling which plays almost identically to Wii Sports) and they both liked Disc Golf. They've yet to try the rest.

Snipes424

dragonflys545 said:
Kenji is kicking my ass in silver!!! god damn it i was so close to winning this one game, but that stupid serve he does rocked me!!! UGGHHHH :(

I'm running into the same problem. I cannot return his fucking short serve without literally having to dive into my TV.

Vandiger

Kenji gold is a nightmare in TT. I've had to use the pendown grip exclusively to keep up with his wicked slices. Just can't find enough opportunities to throw some flaming shots. Gonna rest up for a day before taking him on again.

Gold for Disc Golf is brutal! I've moved a whole 3 challenges up this entire night(past 4 hours or so!). Worst part is that I will get a lead of 1 or 2 shots, then blow it on the last whole or so.

Mr.Green

I'm hitting a wall against Connor in Gold cup. Funny thing is that it was a walk in the park up until that point. The AI suddenly becomes very video-gamey with insane reflexes, cheap shots hitting the sides of the table a little too often and over the top ball effects. They could also tone down the fucking JRPG visual effects on the ball. I don't know if it helps tracking the ball on small TVs but on my 106" screen it's distracting as hell.

So much more fun winning eh? :D

Okay, I feel better now. Time to try again. And again.

And again.

At least it's good exercise!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If there's any mod reading this right now, would it be alright to change the title to simply "Sports Champions |OT|" or "Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports"? Thanks!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bought this sucker!

I'd like to hear more stories about how the motor skills of this game relate to their real life counterparts.

Realistically speaking, gripping the object you use seems to be the biggest difference, but I wonder if timing, strength and angling skills obtained in this compilation would actually help IRL.

tl;dr: I am going to try Frisbee Golf IRL soon!

I ordered the game, but won't get it until next week. How much worse are archery and the gladiator game without a second Move controller? Those controllers are quite expensive in Sweden...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AndyMoogle said:
How much worse are archery and the gladiator game without a second Move controller? Those controllers are quite expensive in Sweden...

Gladiator loses a lot. Also setting with two controllers in volleyball seems much easier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God, I haven't had this fun in ages guys. Ping Pong = Just as fun as real life.

Bronze = Sucks. I was skeptical but I thought "Eh what the heck, it's got potential"
Silver = Okay this seems damn impressive, still, nothing like the real deal.
Gold = OMFG; THIS IS IT! THIS IS IT. This is the feeling I've been waiting for since late 90s, video games and ping pong closer than they've ever been. Such accuracy, such speed, such immersion, such EVERYTHING. This game is my GotY. Can't wait for buddies to get here and we'll play some REAL games.

Flek

Banned
i alawys sucked at sc tt but i played it way more today and got better and better. Its freaking amaizing. Damn thats so acurate and it really feels like working out. I love it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Darn... Tinypic stopped hosting my images. :/

Wait nvm. Got fixed.

ULTROS! said:
If there's any mod reading this right now, would it be alright to change the title to simply "Sports Champions |OT|" or "Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports"? Thanks!

I agree the title is... somewhat disconnected from the actual game.

Shadow780

Damn, Gold in table tennis really emphasize on doing proper spins, having a lot of trouble with it.
I need my natural arm healed, FAST!

hitlerat

ULTROS! said:

Agreed!

A.R.K

uuuggghhh...my arms are still sore from all the hard hitting in TT and gladiator :lol The best part about TT is that you have to move around and not just stand in one place. This game now gives me a workout which I look forward to.

By the way it would have been great if they had added 4 player (doubles) TT option. That would have been so fun. But I guess it would have been a problem because of space considerations.

PS: what's up with the stupid thread title?? ok now that's better :)

Massa

Yoshichan said:
My God, I haven't had this fun in ages guys. Ping Pong = Just as fun as real life.

Bronze = Sucks. I was skeptical but I thought "Eh what the heck, it's got potential"
Silver = Okay this seems damn impressive, still, nothing like the real deal.
Gold = OMFG; THIS IS IT! THIS IS IT. This is the feeling I've been waiting for since late 90s, video games and ping pong closer than they've ever been. Such accuracy, such speed, such immersion, such EVERYTHING. This game is my GotY. Can't wait for buddies to get here and we'll play some REAL games.

Can you play "Gold" in the demo?

Jim

So what's the best Disc Golf score you guys have had? Trying to nab that -10 over 18 holes Trophy, my best is -11. I need more practice (better usage of shortcuts), but I love the event.

ULTROS!

Thanks for the thread title change whoever that mod is! :D

Jim said:
So what's the best Disc Golf score you guys have had? Trying to nab that -10 over 18 holes Trophy, my best is -11. I need more practice (better usage of shortcuts), but I love the event.

Unfortunately I still can't get past the first stage at all. I tried what the GAFfers recommended but I can't seem to beat Kenji. :/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jim said:

? That should have gotten it for you. Or maybe that's not what you meant? I haven't played a full 18 yet. Still haven't gotten a hole in one.

Ploid 3.0

I watched DSP play the games on youtube, looks soo fun, and he was only doing bronze. I want to see youtubes of Gold, or at least silver expert playing. Not that I'm not sold, just want to show people.

Jim said:
Believe it or not, I have yet to play Disc Golf! I've only played Archery and Table Tennis cause they are so good! D;

Jim

levious said:
? That should have gotten it for you. Or maybe that's not what you meant? I haven't played a full 18 yet. Still haven't gotten a hole in one.

Oh I did get the Trophy, I just happened to score a -11 while trying to do so. I made a few dumb mistakes too, but still my best so far over 18 holes. I played a single player round of 18. Not against the AI.

ULTROS!

sublime085 said:
Is there a way to stream custom soundtracks or is transferring to the hdd the only way?

I believe transferring it via HDD is the only way.

distrbnce

Banned
sublime085 said:
Is there a way to stream custom soundtracks or is transferring to the hdd the only way?

Gotta transfer, but it can be pretty easy...

For example, if you have all your music on your computer, you can share it using Windows Media player.

Then just pull up your music folder on your PS3 and you can hit Triange and Copy the entire thing if you want, if you consider "Time" and "Space", as you always should.

You might want to be more selective, but I added my entire library at once, then would just go through and delete certain songs that weren't really game-friendly (slower, longer, not really a song i liked)

Though, to second your desire, I do wish there was an easy way to stream podcasts and the like while playing, especially SC for the TT grinding.

BeeDog

This game is so fucking addicting!

Having a tough time getting 3 stars in the last 3-4 TT silver challenges, still haven't improved my skills that much. Tried a round of Gold difficulty in Free Mode and was slaughtered, ugh.

Bocce and frolf are also incredibly fun games, especially when you challenge a friend/family member.

mrwilt

Sorry if asked before, but are there different courses in the Disc Golf game or is it the same 18 "hole" course?

Stike

I love that game and I am sooo getting lost in Gladiator Duel :lol

It also plays nice with Star Wars custom music :D

Oni Jazar

I really like TT but I wish it was easier to move forward and back in the game. It seems you have to move quite a bit before it registers. I don't have that much space.

Stampy

Wooohhhoooo!!!!!!!!!

I have three stared all the cups in table tennis (bronze, silver, gold, champion). I am first for this sport on the Leaderboards. Probably not many people finished TT , maybe one or two more, judging by the points. Hmm, either the difficulty is too hard or players are not that much interested in TT to go all the way to the end, which would be a shame. :/ Anyway, for defeating everything in TT you get ACE's laser paddle. :D

Seventy5

Kat keeps kicking my ass on Gold Gladiator Duel. The AI can shield bash and then attack way faster than me. Has anyone finished Gold? Any tips besides sucking less?

Stike said:
I love that game and I am sooo getting lost in Gladiator Duel :lol

It also plays nice with Star Wars custom music :D

I'm thinking Final Fantasy battle music might be more my alley (probably the Black Mages' versions).

Unfortunately for me Move seems to be sold out everywhere in my country (plus they only had the bundle and I already have a PSEye) they should be getting more on Tuesday, but I'm itching to play already.

Amir0x

Banned
Archery gets a lot better the more you play it. way better than the alternatives

like, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

distrbnce said:
Gotta transfer, but it can be pretty easy...

For example, if you have all your music on your computer, you can share it using Windows Media player.

Then just pull up your music folder on your PS3 and you can hit Triange and Copy the entire thing if you want, if you consider "Time" and "Space", as you always should.

You might want to be more selective, but I added my entire library at once, then would just go through and delete certain songs that weren't really game-friendly (slower, longer, not really a song i liked)

Though, to second your desire, I do wish there was an easy way to stream podcasts and the like while playing, especially SC for the TT grinding.
Hm, looks like I'll have to do that. Thanks.

Yes. Though I may not be able to, given my tiny living room floor space I'm already happy I manage single player at a mere 1.5m :D

Big notice to all PENHOLD players: give it up, this game doesn't support it. Although it may appear to work if you're used to Wii Sports, the game's AI assist and calibration goes all wrong if you try. You may end up thinking that the game is bad.

Top Bottom