• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Amir0x

Banned
Alright. The point we're making is not in regards to the central mechanics, which may indeed be a strong foundation for a better, more content filled and dedicated sports game, but it's not appealing to someone like me, who actually does love sports and sports games, and has since I was very little.

Shit like this just feels feeble and empty. Yes, I would rather play the real sports than fuss with this crap, but even if I didn't, I'd rather play a game that has the content to back up the purchase. If I want a Baseball game, I'm going to buy a dedicated baseball game - not a chunk of a baseball game in some mini-game compilation.

That's the only point. It does not even contradict anything you've said.

ryan-ts said:
Gonna have to side with Amir0x here after playing around 6 hours of this thing. SC, to me, is a pretty damn expensive tech demo, just like Wii Sports Resort. Both also pale in comparison to playing the actual sports as well which is a huge gripe of mine, playing the real thing is a lot more fun. I see a lot "Oh but it mimics the real thing so well". I agree, but that should be a basic requirement of a game with Move when they're going for realistic motions. I really believe SC is a ridiculously glorified tech demo. When something better comes out I'm sure all of you will start pimping that, hopefully it will be justified then.

I don't really get it. To those calling it a tech demo, what exactly do you want? A storyline? an XP system? Horse armor? The actual gameplay is as deep as you want it to be. You actually enhance your characters skill by improving your real-time abilities.

Maybe the game could've tied all the sports together in some kind of ultimate athlete competition kind of way. And the game could definitely improve on the online stuff. But as far as motion-based sports videogames, the gameplay is SC is the gold standard. Not totally realistic, but as close as we've ever gotten.

And telling others to get out and play the real games is ridiculous. I'm very active and in shape. But I don't have the resources (either time or money or opportunity) to invest in some of these SC games. It's like telling someone "stop playing that RPG and live your own life, it's the ultimate rpg!"

Shurs

Amir0x said:
Alright. The point we're making is not in regards to the central mechanics, which may indeed be a strong foundation for a better, more content filled and dedicated sports game, but it's not appealing to someone like me, who actually does love sports and sports games, and has since I was very little.

Shit like this just feels feeble and empty. Yes, I would rather play the real sports than fuss with this crap, but even if I didn't, I'd rather play a game that has the content to back up the purchase. If I want a Baseball game, I'm going to buy a dedicated baseball game - not a chunk of a baseball game in some mini-game compilation.

I hear you, Amir0x, while I like Sports Champions for what it is, I would have loved a move-enabled Hot Shots Golf and/or Tennis game at launch. I'm hoping it is coming in the second wave of games.

Jax said:
gladiator duel
got to the final boss on silver duel. again took relearning as I had to give up the triangle/square dodge buttons and relearn shielding, side stepping and what not. Literally jumping all over the room and swinging up down. They need to film people playing this. Cardio madness. Got to the woman at the end of silver and I thought I had her beat, then I realised it was 3 rounds, and I was already exhausted.

so I lost. :lol

+

add. How the fuck do the opponents in duel jump to avoid you low swipes? Do I also jump to avoid their low attacks. The woman above did it 3 times and I was like "bullshit!"

so good.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread about head tracking, originally I thought the game had head tracking becuase when you squat your avatar squats and when you jump your avatar jumps. I then found out its not head tracking just tracking the move. So to avoid those low swipes YOU MUST JUMP

jax (old)

Banned
gluv65 said:
I mentioned this earlier in the thread about head tracking, originally I thought the game had head tracking becuase when you squat your avatar squats and when you jump your avatar jumps. I then found out its not head tracking just tracking the move. So to avoid those low swipes YOU MUST JUMP

ah. ha. they never mention it in the control setups. or I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_aaGTPSE0Q

watch this. He seems better at this then me.

:lol when he does the grunt when he does the super attack

Why when I'm playing table tennis does my paddle seem to get "sucked" close to the net, even if I'm not moving it forward? I'm only on Bronze cup so far, so maybe this is an assist that goes away on the higher cups, but right now it's super annoying and I haven't found a way to turn it off. Anyone else see this?

Redbeard

Banned
Amir0x said:

What dedicated bocce, archery, table tennis, etc. game has more content?

Devs don't make full games based upon these sports because there's simply not enough content to justify a purchase, which is why Sports Champions is a compilation of multiple sports titles. And even then, I've found Table Tennis to be a lot more fun than something like R*'s table tennis which is a dedicated game.

I don't see anything wrong with this, either. Each event in Sports Champions has multiple cups and side challenges, how is that not enough content? How is that empty? Especially when the game gets incredibly difficult.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CartridgeBlower said:
Why when I'm playing table tennis does my paddle seem to get "sucked" close to the net, even if I'm not moving it forward? I'm only on Bronze cup so far, so maybe this is an assist that goes away on the higher cups, but right now it's super annoying and I haven't found a way to turn it off. Anyone else see this?
It's a bronze assist. It'll go away with the higher difficulty levels.

alterno69

Banned
Finally took my time with Gladiator duel now that i have two moves, i three stared the bronze level and i loved every minute of it. First of all it's a great work out so ++++ there.

Also am i the only one cursing and trash talking virtual opponents? I do that in TT a lot too, those fuckers lol.

Loving the game, this would be the first fighting game i like if you clasiffy it as such, i like the moves you can pull of even if they're made simple by the move, imagine all the button combinations it'd take to pull some of the moves in here lol.

Anyway awesome game.

jax (old)

Banned
alterno69 said:
Finally took my time with Gladiator duel now that i have two moves, i three stared the bronze level and i loved every minute of it. First of all it's a great work out so ++++ there.

Also am i the only one cursing and trash talking virtual opponents? I do that in TT a lot too, those fuckers lol.

Loving the game, this would be the first fighting game i like if you clasiffy it as such, i like the moves you can pull of even if they're made simple by the move, imagine all the button combinations it'd take to pull some of the moves in here lol.

Anyway awesome game.

yeah. gladiator duel is the most fun.

I just finished Archery silver and the push/target on the wheel thing vs the blond was challenging. Her and the guy after, with all the coin bags flying around, and things popping up all over that you need to shoot very quickly.

notch pull aim shot notch pull aim shot notch pull aim shot.. aaaah.. shoulder + elbow pains.. :D

i really dug how the "aiming arrow" diagram disappears once in silver and you're left with the pointer upping the difficulty. I think the next level up, the cursor goes goes?

Amir0x

Banned
Redbeard said:
What dedicated bocce, archery, table tennis, etc. game has more content?

Rockstar's Table Tennis has way more content. Not even remotely close.

Amir0x said:
I guess that's why Bocce and Archery are the best to me... because I don't think they'd function well as the only part of a videogame. But that's because in general, I wouldn't be seeking out an Archery and Bocce game anyway.

The reason these scraps are thrown into lesser titles is because nobody actually wants to purchase these types of games. It's not suddenly going to become massively appealing TO ME in any other package either.

Redbeard said:
I don't see anything wrong with this, either. Each event in Sports Champions has multiple cups and side challenges, how is that not enough content? How is that empty? Especially when the game gets incredibly difficult.

Multiple Cups? Gasp!

I want the full nine. The litany of modes, from Exhibitions to Tournaments to full sport appropriate rosters and all that it includes. I want it all. I don't want bits of pieces in the form of a tech demo. If you've played any full dedicated sports title, you know the comparison is laughable. These sports mini-games in Sports Champion do not come close to including the range of modes and content that would be in any dedicated title.

That's why I buy full sports titles, and not mini-game compilations. Mini-games are chunks of full games devs know they can't get away with charging for by itself. And that's because they're generally NOT WORTH IT.

But anyway, we're going in circles. I've spoken my point and you understand it. You just think it's enough for you. I don't. Anything else?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amir0x said:

The reason these scraps are thrown into lesser titles is because nobody actually wants to purchase these types of games. It's not suddenly going to become massively appealing TO ME in any other package either.

Multiple Cups? Gasp!

I want the full nine. The litany of modes, from Exhibitions to Tournaments to full sport appropriate rosters and all that it includes. I want it all. I don't want bits of pieces in the form of a tech demo. If you've played any full dedicated sports title, you know the comparison is laughable. These sports mini-games in Sports Champion do not come close to including the range of modes and content that would be in any dedicated title.

That's why I buy full sports titles, and not mini-game compilations. Mini-games are chunks of full games devs know they can't get away with charging for by itself. And that's because they're generally NOT WORTH IT.

But anyway, we're going in circles. I've spoken my point and you understand it. You just think it's enough for you. I don't. Anything else?
You are forgetting achievements!

SC Table Tennis trounces Rockstar in every possible ways.
The former is Table Tennis, the latter is a good video game.

Redbeard

Banned
I guess we just differ on priorities.

R* Table Tennis may have more content, but I wasn't impressed enough with the mechanics of the game to put any effort into it beyond the demo for a few minutes.

I honestly don't care a whole lot about full sports rosters, etc. But then again, I'm not a big hardcore sports fan. I don't play any of the Madden or EA sports titles. Rosters, season modes, etc. really do nothing for me because I find the gameplay mechanics boring.

For a sports game these days, mechanics are king, which is why I suppose I love Sports Champions. There's a decent amount of content in Sports Champions to keep me engaged, too. 4 cup difficulties which will take hours to complete.

Amir0x

Banned
Redbeard said:
But then again, I'm not a big hardcore sports fan

this is always what it comes down to.

it's not so hard to understand different perspectives when you know the foundation for them

beast786

Redbeard said:
I guess we just differ on priorities.

R* Table Tennis may have more content, but I wasn't impressed enough with the mechanics of the game to put any effort into it beyond the demo for a few minutes.

I honestly don't care a whole lot about full sports rosters, etc. But then again, I'm not a big hardcore sports fan. I don't play any of the Madden or EA sports titles. Rosters, season modes, etc. really do nothing for me because I find the gameplay mechanics boring.

For a sports game these days, mechanics are king, which is why I suppose I love Sports Champions. There's a decent amount of content in Sports Champions to keep me engaged, too. 4 cup difficulties which will take hours to complete.

His point is that even though the mechanics is good. The content for full game is what he perfer.

Now days its almost a standard to have Online, Roster, Leagues, Custom leagues, Professional seasons, tournaments, mini games etc etc

And I believe he sees this as a tech demo of mechanics in compare to the full fledge experience you might get on NHL 11, MADDEN, MLB The SHow etc etc

Amir0x

Banned
beast786 said:
His point is that even though the mechanics is good. The content for full game is what he perfer.

Now days its almost a standard to have Online, Roster, Leagues, Custom leagues, Professional seasons, tournaments, mini games etc etc

And I believe he sees this as a tech demo of mechanics in compare to the full fledge experience you might get on NHL 11, MADDEN, MLB The SHow etc etc

spot on, you hit the center of the target in ARCHERY Sports Champion :D

If, say, a full fledged Gladiator game came out, I might just consider that.

marc^o^

Mechanics are so overrated. Full Table Tennis Rosters! Now we are talking!

My rant is about the lack of an online mode, but there's stll hope via DLC.

alterno69

Banned
I guess at least for me, the big difference is every game before feels like that, a game. This feels like you're actually practicing a sport, i mean you actually work out and actual skill is needed to do good in some of them. That is enough for me to appreciate what SC is trying to accomplish and for that i tip my hat to them.

Amir0x

Banned
Mechanics are a foundation, without the meat to support it they mean you have a tech demo.

That's exactly what Sports Champion is. A strong foundation for a good game in the future.

Amir0x said:

Multiple Cups? Gasp!

Gladiator alone is worth the asking price. Swap the generic characters for some Soul Calibur rip offs, insert nonsensical story, add online and you've got yourself a full fledged retail title. Same with Table Tennis and maybe even Disc Golf.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think the 1:1 movement on the harder difficulties gives this game a tremendous learning curve. Which is a good thing. Each game besides maybe Bocce (personally i Don't find it fun), is worth at least 10 bucks a piece if they were sold individually on the PSN store. So I figure for 40 bucks, this game has great value.

Only thing it's missing is online play, or leaderboards. Not a bad launch title for Move at all.

The other launch titles besides Tumble I don't really care for though. Looking forward to Time Crisis.

Amir0x

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Gladiator alone is worth the asking price. Swap the generic characters for some Soul Calibur rip offs, add online and you've got yourself a full fledged retail title. Same with Table Tennis and maybe even Disc Golf.

Have you played recent Soul Calibur games? They have like an RPGs-worth of content. So do any fighting games worth their salt these days.

alterno69

Banned
beast786 said:

Well, traditional games have all that cause they keep introducing new features for your players as they progress, like the ability to add spin or a special shot for your character, but you don't need that here cause well it's up to you to actually know how to do that at least in games like frolf and TT. Sure i agree it could use more content or options maybe but what is there is so well done that i don't need any of the superfluous stuff, the game mechanics are perfect so you don't need much more to enjoy it.

marc^o^

Amir0x said:
Mechanics are a foundation, without the meat to support it they mean you have a tech demo.

That's exactly what Sports Champion is. A strong foundation for a good game in the future.
I may feel hungry for more once I finish Gold cup in the 3 sports I really like in SC, but I will have spent more time on it at that time than in most games I played these last 2 years.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Amir0x said:
Have you played recent Soul Calibur games? They have like an RPGs-worth of content. So do any fighting games worth their salt these days.
Soul Calibur was a 60 dollar game at launch.

This game is like a package of several PSN games. At least to me, production wise its what it feels like.

Amir0x

Banned
alterno69 said:
Well, traditional games have all that cause they keep introducing new features for your players as they progress, like the ability to add spin or a special shot for your character, but you don't need that here cause well it's up to you to actually know how to do that at least in games like frolf and TT.

God I keep wanting to leave but I have to hear the logic behind this.

Traditional games have things like online modes and rosters and leagues and seasons and tournaments because, um, they keep adding spin and special shots? What the flippity hell?

Please explain, I will grab the popcorn.

alterno69 said:
Sure i agree it could use more content or options maybe but what is there is so well done that i don't need any of the superfluous stuff, the game mechanics are perfect so you don't need much more to enjoy it.

Well, obviously, when I am talking about how these things effect ME, I am talking about my preference, not your own. I obviously do need much more to enjoy it.

marc^o^ said:
I may feel hungry for more once I finish Gold cup in the 3 sports I really like in SC, but I will have spent more time on it at that time than in most games I played these last 2 years.

That's because by your own admission you abandoned gaming again. Not all of us are cynical bored ADHD-addled gamers. Most of us are quite content with what we have, and don't require a new gimmick every month to keep entertained.

beast786

alterno69 said:
Well, traditional games have all that cause they keep introducing new features for your players as they progress, like the ability to add spin or a special shot for your character, but you don't need that here cause well it's up to you to actually know how to do that at least in games like frolf and TT. Sure i agree it could use more content or options maybe but what is there is so well done that i don't need any of the superfluous stuff, the game mechanics are perfect so you don't need much more to enjoy it.

I am not disagreeing with you, and actually neither is Amorix.

The only difference is your expectation.

Yes, I am happy (And Lvoe it). But for a complete package I would love

Online mode.
Online Tournaments
Online Team Mode (doubles)
Complete career mode from amatuer to professonal
Better Tutorials with different teaching styles
Customize my character
3D support
More Mini games or having some trick shots mini game
Play against world class players
A mode to just practice
etc etc

If some of the above features are included I would perfer that and pay 60 bucks for TT

Amir0x said:
Yeah, I have the latest Soul Calibur and the only mode that's worth my time is the mode that put fighting games on the map to begin with. "Nice to haves" don't sway my purchase for a game. What matters is the meat and potatoes and Gladiator has some pretty hearty beef and starches. I like the art galleries and the conquest modes and all that, but the mode I think everyone will continue to go back to is the fighting VS CPU (story mode) and VS a second player.

At least Gladiator has progression and actually becomes more difficult, unlike some games I've payed $60 for in the past. Still traumatized over King of Fighters XII.

marc^o^

Now Move is a Gimmick? I see it as the true next gen controller, providing an outstanding control of 3D space. Even with few titles, I can see Move is enhancing gameplay like no controller before.

True 1:1, working, for real.

Even an unknown studio can come up with the best recreation of multiple sports on their 1st try.
Get used to this Gimmick, it's called progress.

alterno69

Banned
Amir0x said:
God I keep wanting to leave but I have to hear the logic behind this.

Traditional games have things like online modes and rosters and leagues and seasons and tournaments because, um, they keep adding spin and special shots? What the flippity hell?

Please explain, I will grab the popcorn.
Take virtua tennis for example, you create your character(which is something i agree is missing here especially considering everyone playing it owns a PSeye and then you go around the world playing tournaments forever, facing harder opponents and making your character a better player. Imagine if from the beginning your player had all his stats maxed? Which is in theory what happens in SC, since YOU are the player you don't need to do 30 mini games to improve your speed or learn a new shot or whatever, you are the player and it's all based on your skill. So that takes away half the mini games, which in a way you still have here in the way of the challenges. Rosters? Do you know ONE famous table tennis player? or three? cause i sure as hell don't, let alone a famous archer or Bocce player lol. So rosters for what? Online is a given, and i have hope for them patching it in later tho i'm not holding my breath that's for sure.

What i'm saying is, since YOU and your skill are the star of the show you don't need half of the stuff you get in other games that are there for the sole purpose of improving the skills on YOUR virtual player and not yourself. it's a way for those games to introduce more mechanics, something SC does to an extent in the form of harder opponents instead of mini games cause it just wouldn't make sense IMO.

Hope you're enjoying that popcorn. :D

Ristlager

Amir0x said:
Then why are you dissing this game so much. You knew when you bought it that it was a minigame collection. I know you want more from the game, but hating on a minigame collection because its a mini game collection isn't the smartest thing to do. Given the little time Zidnago had, I find it really remarkble for them to make such a good game. I haven't been so imersed and positively surpriced in a game since the first Guitar Hero.

Amir0x

Banned
alterno69 said:
Take virtua tennis for example, you create your character(which is something i agree is missing here especially considering everyone playing it owns a PSeye and then you go around the world playing tournaments forever, facing harder opponents and making your character a better player. Imagine if from the beginning your player had all his stats maxed? Which is in theory what happens in SC, since YOU are the player you don't need to do 30 mini games to improve your speed or learn a new shot or whatever, you are the player and it's all based on your skill. So that takes away half the mini games, which in a way you still have here in the way of the challenges. Rosters? Do you know ONE famous table tennis player? or three? cause i sure as hell don't, let alone a famous archer or Bocce player lol. So rosters for what? Online is a given, and i have hope for them patching it in later tho i'm not holding my breath that's for sure.

Well I can kind of see your point - for that one specific individual mode (training/stat building modes). However, almost all the modes we mentioned have nothing to do with that, so, it's still a feeble argument for the umbrella of what we were saying :p

alterno69 said:
Hope you're enjoying that popcorn. :D

I can't eat popcorn, diet :(

I just got myself a Flaxseed cookie

alterno69

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well I can kind of see your point - for that one specific individual mode (training/stat building modes). However, almost all the modes we mentioned have nothing to do with that, so, it's still a feeble argument for the umbrella of what we were saying :p

I can't eat popcorn, diet :(

I just got myself a Flaxseed cookie

Like i said, i do agree character creation and an online mode are sorely lacking, i hope they address the online mode eventually, it would make this game almost too good for me.

jax (old)

Banned
IonicSnake said:
Just got the katana in Sport Champion, I'm in love with Gladiator.

heh. my favourite game mode.

marc^o^ said:
I'm waiting for my second Move controller to start playing Gladiator :)

oh man, you'll be in for treat! The archery + gladiator become something else all together.

My mates are coming over later today and ... heh. should be awesome.

marc^o^

alterno69 said:
Like i said, i do agree character creation and an online mode are sorely lacking, i hope they address the online mode eventually, it would make this game almost too good for me.
Table Tennis against a human opponent must be incredible, but you need to have a BIG room to make it playable.

alterno69

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Table Tennis against a human opponent must be incredible, but you need to have a BIG room to make it playable.
I know, and i really wouldn't mind moving my whole living room if it meant playing this game online as well as Gladiator.

Shadow780

marc^o^ said:

If SC has system link with two TVs back-to-back and players facing each other on the other side? EPIC!

fixuis

Thought I'd chime in with some more impressions from table tennis. The more I play this the better it gets. Just got past boomer in silver and it was my best game yet, beating her 9-7. With the bronze assists coming off, it truly is a marvel how accurate this thing is. The most important thing is the feeling you get when playing. Toss/shove the move controller up in the air while serving and it throws the ball high up in the air ready to be hit just like in real life, depending on the timing of your shot and the angle, you could get a top edge and win a point or the ball hits the edge of the table, and you win or lose a point. Stuff like this is really immersive and is what makes the whole package magical. Hitting a top spin forehand winner down the line has got to be one of the most satisfying things ever. What makes it so satisfying is the effort and motion you put into pulling it off, just like in real life. Wide arm/angle full flow, fast swing and wham, there it goes.

The progression is perfect as well. The developers have somehow managed to pace it perfectly. Getting you training before some matches in silver and helping you hone important skills such as back handed spins and forehand spin. It's marvelous. From what I've heard, gold is even more awesome/realistic and you might as well be playing a real a person in real life on a real table. Perfection. This game alone has been worth it as far as move goes. Such brilliant tech. I don't expect anything else from Sony and they've delivered yet again.

Heard good things about tumble, but it's gonna be a long time before I try any other game.

MrPliskin

Banned
I am TERRIBLE at Disc Golf. It took me about 30 minutes to get 5K on the Challenge mode. I have zero expectations to ever hit a hole in one on a par 3 :lol

Vandiger said:
Eh, I just want online. I'd love to play some of the top 10 on table tennis and gladiator see how well they stack up.
Man I hope that one back alley brawler game is online. That's the one I'm really waiting for.

Hope it's good.

MrPliskin said:
I am TERRIBLE at Disc Golf. It took me about 30 minutes to get 5K on the Challenge mode. I have zero expectations to ever hit a hole in one on a par 3 :lol
Not even BSing you, I have the Ace trophy from my very first throw of playing the game. Hole in one. Probably can't do that again any time soon though.

marc^o^

MrPliskin said:
Playing WSR made me be quite good at throwing virtual disc golf, the bronze cup was so easy :)

jax (old)

Banned
Vandiger said:
Eh, I just want online. I'd love to play some of the top 10 on table tennis and gladiator see how well they stack up.

Actually be real nice to play vs gaffers.

I hope they patch it.

TTP should send them an email. Or someone working in the gaming press...

Garnettlee in the latest wc podcast said he'll have move impressions next podcast.

Shadow780

How will online latency affect gameplay? I can see this works with disc golf because it's turn-based, not so sure about table tennis or gladiator.

fixuis

If they manage to include online play for table tennis and keep the same level of 1:1 tracking this game for me will become one of the staples of not only this gen but of gaming for all time, but only if nothing is lost due to online. It's so great right now because of it's response time, that shouldn't suffer.

Top Bottom