• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

spwolf

Fusebox said:
I set out to grab the Move starter pack, extra Move controller and SC on the way home last night.

First JB Hi fi was sold out, second JB was sold out, first EB was sold out, second EB had everything except the additional Move controllers so I got the starters pack and SC.

Getting the camera to sit properly on top of my skinny plasma was difficulty, but a load of tape and blu tac later and I had it sorted.

Colour me awesome, I love it! Disc Golf is just sublime, and pulling off long curve shots is really, really satisfying. Table Tennis seems crazy accurate but I'm just not a huge TT fan. I started off terrible at Bocce until I learned how to ignore the power meter and all the other HUD info and just naturally throw based on where the balls are onscreen and all of a sudden I started sweeping my opponents.

No problems playing the Gladiator game. I wasn't holding T to attack and I was bashing my opponent all over the ring.

Archery looks great but is a bit of an arm-deadener and isn't really exciting enough to justify the effort.

I like the characters too, although they definitely fall into the marketing-department-created-generic-Tekken-ish-dudebros-and-babes-category I far prefer them over the previous generation of motion based gaming avatars.

Had some problems with the Tiger Woods 11 demo though. When it says point the controller straight down to start swing, it was really fussy about the positioning. Sometimes it'd take too much stuffing around before I could even active the swing mechanic. So far Disc Golf > TW 11.

fuck you... Sony... of all the times my 20GB had to die.... I was literally going to buy that day, when it stopped working :)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
spwolf said:
fuck you... Sony... of all the times my 20GB had to die.... I was literally going to buy that day, when it stopped working :)

Well, at least your 20 gig had a good 4 year run. Maybe it is a sign that you should get a Move bundle :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
spwolf said:
they sent out a signal to make it die so you can get the full Move bundle with PS3 slim, its a win-win ;)

Animator

hoooly shit archery is so much fun. Can't believe I didnt play this one before. This game needs to have online asap because all I want to do right now is to play archery tic tac toe online. :lol

Belfast

DangerousDave said:
I played the demo.

Short.

Only one "match" of disc golf. I needed 8 matches to win my opponent. 6 ties, one lost, one win.

Two matches of table tennis. Amazing. I discovered that I suck completly in table tennis, and i failed a lot of "easy" balls. But I won without too many problems. Those girls are HOT.

I'm quite sold, specially for tennis. Even if I haven't play table tennis in the last 25 years, I found it very realistic. But I'll know that I'll be completly owned without the autoassist.

My question is... there is some kind of depth aside from matching with AI each time more difficult? Unlockeables? Clothes? Paddles? I don't want to pay full price if there isn't any kind of depth.

There are different outfits and equipment, though it's mostly cosmetic. I haven't done an extensive test, but the weapons in Gladiator Duel might have different ranges? Either way, there's a lot to unlock in the game, including a few extra characters.

However, depth does kind of come down to more difficult AI, but unlike some games, it WILL force you to play better because it takes the training wheels off (especially in TT). For instance, Bronze level gives you assists to returning the ball and keeping it on the table. Silver and Gold take the help away and the depth comes from, well... actually playing Table Tennis. So you've got about as much depth as you'd have playing the game in real life.

Animator said:
hoooly shit archery is so much fun. Can't believe I didnt play this one before. This game needs to have online asap because all I want to do right now is to play archery tic tac toe online. :lol
Yeah thats the only problem with the game: No online.

Stampy

How are you people doing with Table Tennis on Championship mode? (Let us share the pain. :D) I am on the 6th character currently (Dallas), and I think I am going to cry; my wrist hurts so much after all the unnatural movements I am doing to save those devilish balls. -_-

Ugh, if mom Ninja Gaiden Black and dad Demon's Souls had a baby, this game would be its evil and demented twin brother.

jax (old)

Banned
Fucking annoyed that I couldn't find another move wand. Even the bundles are sold out now. Should have bought 2 when I had the chance... And I did.... Ffffffuuuuuu

glaurung

Jax said:
Fucking annoyed that I couldn't find another move wand. Even the bundles are sold out now. Should have bought 2 when I had the chance... And I did.... Ffffffuuuuuu
The insane bit is that it looks to be the same where I live.

And I live in a country where people know about as much about video games as Sarah Palin knows about the laws of physics.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Stampy said:
How are you people doing with Table Tennis on Championship mode? (Let us share the pain. :D) I am on the 6th character currently (Dallas), and I think I am going to cry; my wrist hurts so much after all the unnatural movements I am doing to save those devilish balls. -_-

Ugh, if mom Ninja Gaiden Black and dad Demon's Souls had a baby, this game would be its evil and demented twin brother.

My brother is on his first opponent in gold. He basically plays that game only.

I'm on silver for volleyball, pocce, and archery.

Amir0x

Banned
Jax said:

IN STOCK

if it's in stock in an online place like Amazon, it's bound to be easily found elsewhere. I've seen many in stores. Just order it from Amazon.

Vlodril

Well i finally got the starter kit and the rest of the controllers. I tried the table tennis for a few match and i cant for the life of my spike in backhand. With the forehand it does it fine but with the backhand it just doesnt get the force for some reason. Ill try more later after the controllers have charged it was just weird since i dont have the problem in rl.

I played this yesterday at Best Buy for an hour, and I'm hooked. I will definately be picking this up soon. This is so much better than Wii Sports, IMO.

hitlerat

Holy crap guys...
I´m a 'semi-pro' ping-pong player (real life) ... And I ALWAYS lose to my brother in the-other-version-we-cant-talk-the-name-here .... No matter how many times I try... Although he´s very bad real life ping pong player...

But, we started play Ping Pong Sports Champions last night... And I´m fucking good! He dont have any real chances to win a game... It´s like a real ping pong match....

*ITS FUCKING AMAZING!*

Really guys, I cant express all my happiness with SC!!! :D :D

Flek

Banned
hitlerat said:
Holy crap guys...
I´m a 'semi-pro' ping-pong player (real life) ... And I ALWAYS lose to my brother in the-other-version-we-cant-talk-the-name-here .... No matter how many times I try... Although he´s very bad real life ping pong player...

But, we started play Ping Pong Sports Champions last night... And I´m fucking good! He dont have any real chances to win a game... It´s like a real ping pong match....

*ITS FUCKING AMAZING!*

Really guys, I cant express all my happiness with SC!!! :D :D

haha really? I think iam a decent real life tt player but i kinda suck at SC TT … i dont know why though.

Anyway i love boce and disk golf…imo the best games. Archery with 2 moves isnt my thing and i dont get volleball (its more a rythm game than anything else right? )

Norml

Flek said:
haha really? I think iam a decent real life tt player but i kinda suck at SC TT … i dont know why though.

Anyway i love boce and disk golf…imo the best games. Archery with 2 moves isnt my thing and i dont get volleball (its more a rythm game than anything else right? )

Disc golf is great! I'm so glad it turned out well.:D

My roommate and I have been playing the fuck out of bocce and volleyball. We like the VB a little better because it's co-op at the same time. And it makes her bounce up and down. :D

Mad_Ban

Son of a bitch robot boss in gold tennis. -_-

Is it even possible for us to serve that hard? No matter how hard I swing or angle the shot, it never ends up with that amount of power.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Flek said:
i dont get volleball (its more a rythm game than anything else right? )

you still have a lot of control of shot placement though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can't get past the first stage of Disc Golf.

Fixed1979

ULTROS! said:

I'm terrible at disc golf, I'm not sure exactly what I'm missing. Maybe I'm just having a hard time keep the freesbie flat, either way had a really rough time getting past the 3rd guy on bronze.

Also it feels like I pulled a muscle in my shoulder playing table tennis. Although I did crack th 5k spin barrier.

A.R.K

So I picked up SC last night again to play TT properly (before that I was just trying to check out Move). Did I get a workout! :lol I was playing the bronze level and after the 4th guy, things really start to pick up. I thought it would be easy to just score without putting any effort in it. I was so wrong! I had to work hard to get the points and play like I would in real life. After multiple tries when I finally beat that dude, I was like fuck yeah!!! :lol I am looking forward to harder levels with no assists.
I tried Gladiator next and again got a nice work out with my my heart pumping hard. Played for an hour straight and was sweating like I had gone to the gym. Now this is the kind of workout I can do every day :D.

This game is AWESOME!!

Sony needs to put a workout/gym game as my wife wants one after seeing me jumping and sweating like that :lol (She hates video games :(( )

Brannon

Thought this belonged here.

Brannon said:
And in Sport Champions' Gladiator game, I've already decided to hold my sword like a fencing rapier AND IT'S AWESOME. The game unlocked a Japanese Katana already in addition to the regular sword, so I hope to god that the game has a rapier. That would be the epitome of just too muchery.

I intend to hold every type of sword in the respectable yet stereotypical fashions. Katana over the head ready to smash downward?

Better believe it.

KZObsessed

I just ordered Sports Champions as the demo isn't enough to satisfy my Table Tennis craving/fetish. :3

A.R.K said:
Sony needs to put a workout/gym game as my wife wants one after seeing me jumping and sweating like that :lol (She hates video games :(( )

I believe EA's Sports Active 2 is coming to PS3. I think I heard the first one was good on the Wii?

Stike

Just came back from another round.. DUDE MY ARMS :lol

I am halfway through silver in Gladiator Duel, this game is giving me a serious workout (what I need!)

And if anyone wonders why so slow, I am working on getting three stars everywhere :)

Also I managed to
knock one guy out of the ring and into the fire bowl
:lol Not QUITE so family friendly, huh?
Cant wait to tear out some spinal columns in a Move-enabled Mortal Kombat XD

Flek

Banned
ok wow for tt 2 player you need a big room … i smacked my brother in the face with the move controller twice :lol Iam afraid the ball might break off :(

Corto

Just beated kenji on Silver... What a rush! I need to play against Kenji when I'm rested though. I think I lost 3-4 times yesterday when I tried to rush through Silver cup, quitted the game, played today and beated Kenji on my first try.

Thinking of picking up Move with Sports champions today.

Waiting for a good bundle though.

Table Tennis is the fucking coots. Bought Sports Resort for Table Tennis. Really like that Move takes power into account more than Motion Plus does.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Table Tennis is the fucking coots. Bought Sports Resort for Table Tennis. Really like that Move takes power into account more than Motion Plus does.

I think K-Mart still has a $25 coupon for later purchase available with the $99 bundle (if they have the bundles, my store only got 2)

Stoffinator

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I guess this depends on where you live, but Toys R' Us has a exclusive EyePet Bundle. Same as the Sports Champions.

sonycowboy said:
I think K-Mart still has a $25 coupon for later purchase available with the $99 bundle (if they have the bundles, my store only got 2)

Australia though :(

I've seen a Bundle here with the main starter bundle and Sports champions for $129AU.

But I already have the camera

beast786

Flek said:
ok wow for tt 2 player you need a big room … i smacked my brother in the face with the move controller twice :lol Iam afraid the ball might break off :(

You got to play as if you are playing doubles in real life. The off person moves out of the picture behind or his side.

Fusebox

Banned
ULTROS! said:

Angling your fris so the left side is down / will make it curl to the left, angling your fris so the right side is down \ will make it curl to the right. Releasing the fris to the left or right of centre will send it heading that way. Aim up to get more lift, down to shorten the distance.

I freaking love DG, it's so satisfying to pull off a great long shot.

Shadow780

Holy crap table tennis is AMAZING, I play it casually in real life and it's everything I wanted it to be. For someone who knows theoretical approaches to the techniques in table tennis but yet to grasp the abilities to pull it off in real life, this game is such a god-send. I can do number of advance moves with precise motion, if such motions are done properly.

Now my arms hurts so bad, I couldn't even take a proper shower. :lol

I need to get those plastic table tennis handles from amazon, they look silly but I need to see the angle of my Move controller to have the proper spins.

Highly highly recommended for someone who enjoys playing table tennis on a casual level in real life.

Vandiger

bobbytkc said:
How does that work? The Move has a pretty wide girth compared to a real paddle. Can't imagine that being comfortable

Well I only use the pendown grip for long rallies since I have problems getting balls that are hit towards the body. I use the regular handshake grip when serving since I can do effective topspin serves that ace the CPU. Works for me very well, I've three starred all my opponents so far :D, currently playing gold level now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My SC bundle arrives tomorrow! Cannot wait to Bocce it up.

I play around 45 minutes to Sports Champion, basicly Gladiators and Table Tennis and... wow...

I'm sweating, i note that tomorrow my arm is gonna hurt, and I didn't have the notion of making any kind of exercise.

I had several problems in Gladiators until I realized that I was waggling the low attacks. I learned to bash and stop with the sword, and I made some perfect rounds.

In table tennis I went from tied matches to tree-star some opponents, when I learned to move toward the fence and making fast balls (in the start I only made very slow shots).

The game is very realistic, specially table tennis, and even if it's not the real sport, is the closest that I've ever seen, in a console. It's a little the kind of sensation that I had the first time that I play a racing simulator with a good force feedback wheel, instead of a controller.

Much better than the other Move games. I got dissapointed of most of them.

Top Bottom