• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
fixuis said:
If they manage to include online play for table tennis and keep the same level of 1:1 tracking this game for me will become one of the staples of not only this gen but of gaming for all time, but only if nothing is lost due to online. It's so great right now because of it's response time, that shouldn't suffer.

KAL2006

Banned
Shadow780 said:
How will online latency affect gameplay? I can see this works with disc golf because it's turn-based, not so sure about table tennis or gladiator.

Doesn't some Motion Plus Wii Tennis game have online play? how well was online for that game?

Amir0x

Banned
I will say this about Gladiator, it would be the one I'd most want to see fleshed into a full game. Maybe a Gladiator+Archery game, both individually fleshed out and thematically knotted together.

Gladiator in particular, it is very impressive the way it follows your motions. Sweeping my sword over head and swinging from your off side, for example, is just about how all motion controlled actions should be in any hardcore action game. Completely fluid tracking of the motion, from start to connect.

Sometimes I feel the hit detection is off on the enemy itself, where it looks like she/he is blocking my shot even in the shield is on the other part of his/her body. But all in all, it's impressively done for a start.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
KAL2006 said:
Doesn't some Motion Plus Wii Tennis game have online play? how well was online for that game?
You can ask the same about shooters since it MAG and KZ3 will support it.

Edit: meant to quote shadow

Redbeard

Banned
Shooters are a different beast than Table Tennis for online play.

For Table Tennis, there's a fraction of a second that's needed for volleys, and any lag can ruin that experience.

For shooters, there's a lot more leeway in terms of latency, and it's easier to hide the issues with it.

MLB the Show has online play, and isn't it still pretty bad?

mr_nothin

Banned
Redbeard said:

For Table Tennis, there's a fraction of a second that's needed for volleys, and any lag can ruin that experience.

For shooters, there's a lot more leeway in terms of latency, and it's easier to hide the issues with it.

Are you saying shooters can get away with lag a lot more? That might be true for controllers but for motion controls/mice it's not true.

marc^o^

Has anyone here tried gladiator in multi with 4 moves? It must be epic. I'll see on youtube tomorrow if I can find something.

Stampy

Can someone please explain in the disc golf following terms:
* Blank Shot
* Salvage Par
* "Fore" Shot
* Skipper
* Stroke Spread

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haven't been able to play this for three days now because my arm hurts so much after playing ping pong for 5-6 hours when I first bought it. Wtf is this shit...

Tried playing today, went shittier than shit because my arm decided to suck.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
Multiple Cups? Gasp!

I want the full nine. The litany of modes, from Exhibitions to Tournaments to full sport appropriate rosters and all that it includes. I want it all. I don't want bits of pieces in the form of a tech demo. If you've played any full dedicated sports title, you know the comparison is laughable. These sports mini-games in Sports Champion do not come close to including the range of modes and content that would be in any dedicated title.

That's why I buy full sports titles, and not mini-game compilations. Mini-games are chunks of full games devs know they can't get away with charging for by itself. And that's because they're generally NOT WORTH IT.

But anyway, we're going in circles. I've spoken my point and you understand it. You just think it's enough for you. I don't. Anything else?

I've got to agree with Amirox here.

I really like Sports Champions. I feel that some of the fanboys tended to overhype it and the Move earlier in the thread (Although I prefer Move to Motion+, the difference between the Move and Motion+ really isn't as great as some make it out to be and the argument about the Motion+ calibration being annoying while Move's calibration is not as annoying is garbage), but overall it's a good game.

That said, it IS a glorified tech demo. Just because a sport has a few cups doesn't make it a deep experience. I completely agree with Amirox--these games need a lot more. I really feel once the initial "purchase high" goes away in a few months people will look back and be a bit disappointed in this compilation.

I really give Nintendo credit for offering double the amount of games in Wii Sports Resort (even though, again, I prefer Sports Champions). They knew the games weren't deep so they threw a lot on the disc. I almost don't feel I got my money's worth with this game because only 6 sports are offered. I look forward to more sports possibly being offered as DLC, but for now I can't help but be a touch disappointed.

Aside from SC, Tumble really is amazing and I'm enjoying Planet Minigolf as well. I really do look forward to next year's Tiger Woods (this year's is horrendous compared to Wii 2011 with Motion+), Virtua Tennis, and other games designed to take advantage of the Move. I think this is an amazing piece of hardware. I've said my piece about it before, but the fact that a new Hot Shots Golf game wasn't specifically designed for Move and released at launch is a disgrace. It's a perfect game for the Move.

Amir0x said:
Sometimes I feel the hit detection is off on the enemy itself, where it looks like she/he is blocking my shot even in the shield is on the other part of his/her body. But all in all, it's impressively done for a start.

The weapon also blocks the hits. I play with only one controller and I'm used to block the hits with the weapon, so the enemies probably do the same.

Take virtua tennis for example, you create your character(which is something i agree is missing here especially considering everyone playing it owns a PSeye and then you go around the world playing tournaments forever, facing harder opponents and making your character a better player. Imagine if from the beginning your player had all his stats maxed? Which is in theory what happens in SC, since YOU are the player you don't need to do 30 mini games to improve your speed or learn a new shot or whatever, you are the player and it's all based on your skill.

Why? Obviously the player has his own skill, like in a non-motion game, but there is nothing that forbid a stat based characters, in a RPG-like system, that improve this.

For example, Gladiator. Leveling up you could spend points in endurance (less damage taken by enemy hits), strength (more damage that you do by hit), speed (more movement in avoiding manouvers that allows avoid better the hits), agility (faster recovering from blocked attacks or when you miss a bash), etc.

Redbeard

Banned
I'll take 6 deep 'minigames' over 20 games I'll play once and never again. As it stands now, the only game I don't play in Sports Champions is Volleyball, not because it's bad, but because the other games I keep rotating around and are occupying most of my time.

I simply haven't gotten that experience elsewhere, and Move is a giant leap over the competition.

Amir0x said:
I will say this about Gladiator, it would be the one I'd most want to see fleshed into a full game. Maybe a Gladiator+Archery game, both individually fleshed out and thematically knotted together.

Gladiator in particular, it is very impressive the way it follows your motions. Sweeping my sword over head and swinging from your off side, for example, is just about how all motion controlled actions should be in any hardcore action game. Completely fluid tracking of the motion, from start to connect.
Could you imagine a game like Oblivion that uses Gladiator's and the archery game's gameplay for fighting?

...I think I need to go take a cold shower...

Stayed up drinking and playing bocce ball until 3 am last night with a few neighbors, they aren't gamers but they were hooked. This shit is golden

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Redbeard said:
I'll take 6 deep 'minigames' over 20 games I'll play once and never again. As it stands now, the only game I don't play in Sports Champions is Volleyball, not because it's bad, but because the other games I keep rotating around and are occupying most of my time.

I simply haven't gotten that experience elsewhere, and Move is a giant leap over the competition.

I guess it depends on your definition of "deep."

beast786

Plinko said:
I've got to agree with Amirox here.

I really like Sports Champions. the difference between the Move and Motion+ really isn't as great as some make it out to be.

I disagree 100%, TT in WSR is nothing absolutely nothing like SC. I like my Wii + , but its functionality in respective software of SC and WSR is not even close when it comes to technical implication. Is it because of software instead of hardware? maybe, but as it is right now the SC is in a different league.

Poigea

Picked up the Move/SC bundle today. I have tried disc golf, table tennis, and bocce ball so far. Had a great time on all of them, but definitely spent most of the time on table tennis so far. I just beat the silver cup and am loving it.

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to pick up Move so early, but right now I am satisfied. I hope there is some steady content coming to keep me satisfied.

Plinko

beast786 said:
I disagree 100%, TT in WSR is nothing absolutely nothing like SC. I like my Wii + , but its functionality in respective software of SC and WSR is not even close when it comes to technical implication. Is it because of software instead of hardware? maybe, but as it is right now the SC is in a different league.

I didn't say anything about Table Tennis. I love SC Table Tennis--more and more as I advanced through the cups. I wasn't making a direct comparison between WSR TT and SCTT. There's no comparison there--SC wins by a mile and a half. I should have said it in my post to counterbalance the reverse argument about Tiger Woods (I honestly can't believe how bad it is compared to the Wii version). But, as an overall gameplay experience, there really isn't as big of a difference between the two pieces of hardware as some people in the thread were saying. I understand the tech is different--as it should be, considering one came out 3 years after the other. I like PS Move more, as I said earlier. But the difference really isn't that great yet, in my opinion.

The one thing I'm really impressed by is the augmented reality. That absolutely blows me away. The Gladiator game is fantastic. My 3-year old couldn't believe he was holding a tennis racket in the Start the Party demo. Completely responsive and perfect 1:1 tech. Absolutely amazing.

beast786

Plinko said:
I didn't say anything about Table Tennis. I love SC Table Tennis--more and more as I advanced through the cups. I wasn't making a direct comparison between WSR TT and SCTT. There's no comparison there--SC wins by a mile and a half. I should have said it in my post to counterbalance the reverse argument about Tiger Woods (I honestly can't believe how bad it is compared to the Wii version). But, as an overall gameplay experience, there really isn't as big of a difference between the two pieces of hardware as some people in the thread were saying. I understand the tech is different--as it should be, considering one came out 3 years after the other. I like PS Move more, as I said earlier. But the difference really isn't that great yet, in my opinion.

The one thing I'm really impressed by is the augmented reality. That absolutely blows me away. The Gladiator game is fantastic. My 3-year old couldn't believe he was holding a tennis racket in the Start the Party demo. Completely responsive and perfect 1:1 tech. Absolutely amazing.

I am sorry then, since its a SC thread. I thought thats what you were comparing.

Regarding other games, this is not the thread for me to response. :D

jvm

Gamasutra.
Amir0x said:
I could really go for a Most Dangerous Game ... uh ... game. Or, perhaps the better connection would be Bushido Blade brought into the modern day with large arenas and a variety of weapons. Or the stalking of The End from MGS3. Gladiator is definitely fun, but also makes one think there is an entirely new level of fun just out of reach right now.

JoeyX

Neo Member
mr_nothin said:
Are you saying shooters can get away with lag a lot more? That might be true for controllers but for motion controls/mice it's not true.

More shooters exist and they have ways of handling the issue. I think that is the only way to look at it. I know what he is saying in terms of layout, auto aim (on consoles) and avoiding showing any obvious signs of lag.

I am awaiting something more from the Move now. Sports Champions is kinda like a starting point for me. And I know the game very well, I have to demo it and train people on it's selling points.

Take for example Table Tennis. You can indeed go under the table and hit the ball back up before it touches the ground. You just need a lot of space. But it's that 3d tracking I am really looking forward to in future titles.

dronde said:
What is the fastest hit you guys have on TT

Good question. I don't think I got much beyond the things that give you the trophies, i.e. about 102 for speed and 509? for spin. Does it track your max anywhere? I haven't checked.

Dark Octave said:
How do you equip items and clothing you won during the course of the game?

Before you start your event at the player select screen press the circle button. Again do this before you begin your event, because once you start the event, because you can't change after that. Look at the bottom of the screen for the PS icons circle for costumes and I believe X is fro equipment.

gluv65 said:
Before you start your event at the player select screen press the circle button. Again do this before you begin your event, because once you start the event, because you can't change after that. Look at the bottom of the screen for the PS icons circle for costumes and I believe X is fro equipment.
Thank you.

The_Reckoning said:
Stayed up drinking and playing bocce ball until 3 am last night with a few neighbors, they aren't gamers but they were hooked. This shit is golden

Did the same thing on Friday night, Bocce is an amazing multiplayer game. Nothing like knocking someones ball out of the way and getting 3 points in its stead. :lol

fixuis said:
Thought I'd chime in with some more impressions from table tennis. The more I play this the better it gets. Just got past boomer in silver and it was my best game yet, beating her 9-7. With the bronze assists coming off, it truly is a marvel how accurate this thing is. The most important thing is the feeling you get when playing. Toss/shove the move controller up in the air while serving and it throws the ball high up in the air ready to be hit just like in real life, depending on the timing of your shot and the angle, you could get a top edge and win a point or the ball hits the edge of the table, and you win or lose a point. Stuff like this is really immersive and is what makes the whole package magical. Hitting a top spin forehand winner down the line has got to be one of the most satisfying things ever. What makes it so satisfying is the effort and motion you put into pulling it off, just like in real life. Wide arm/angle full flow, fast swing and wham, there it goes.

The progression is perfect as well. The developers have somehow managed to pace it perfectly. Getting you training before some matches in silver and helping you hone important skills such as back handed spins and forehand spin. It's marvelous. From what I've heard, gold is even more awesome/realistic and you might as well be playing a real a person in real life on a real table. Perfection. This game alone has been worth it as far as move goes. Such brilliant tech. I don't expect anything else from Sony and they've delivered yet again.

Heard good things about tumble, but it's gonna be a long time before I try any other game.

totally agree with you, let me repost waht I posted on the move thread, since I feel it got lost there.

So I craved and bought the SC bundle, I wasn't really looking forward to this device, but the game that sold it for me was table tennis, I played table tennis professionally during my youth and went to several national and international competitions, after watching some videos of the game I knew I had to have it.
I can honestly say the game behaves almost like the real deal, this is the closest that the table tennis experience have been represented in a video game.
I had 0 problems calibrating the control and after a quick patch download I was already throwing top-spins at my opponents.
I won the bronze league and 3 start'ed every opponent and I really felt tired like after playing a real game.
Looking forward to other move games that can really replicate this feeling.

leng jai

Its remarkable how my bad habits and weaknesses in real life translate to the Move version of Table Tennis. Great game.

darkwing

leng jai said:
Its remarkable how my bad habits and weaknesses in real life translate to the Move version of Table Tennis. Great game.
yeah my forehand is really weak in real life so in the game i'm mostly to one side to cover everything with my backhand only :lol

The_Reckoning said:

I got my silver er last night while drunk in TT. Apparently I AM better drunk.

spwolf

Amir0x said:

i say it just shows what is possible in future action titles like God of War, R&C, etc, etc...

dronde

Neo Member
Maastricht said:
Good question. I don't think I got much beyond the things that give you the trophies, i.e. about 102 for speed and 509? for spin. Does it track your max anywhere? I haven't checked.

Leader board

Gladiator is such a workout with two moves...
Its incredible how much the gameplay sucks you into the matches.

My right arm is sore... I think I will have to switch left and right arms to even things out.

And as everyone knows the ping pong is outstanding... just outstanding.
I'll get into the other "slower" paced games like bocce later I suppose.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Redbeard said:

The worst.

marc^o^

One more hour spent on it last night, and I'm one match away from the gold cup final in Table Tennis :)

Reviews for this game have been a debacle of epic proportions. We keep hearing people don't read anymore. Well, people don't seem to play anymore either, because I defy anyone to go past the bronze cups and not marvel at what we have here.

marc^o^ said:
One more hour spent on it last night, and I'm one match away from the gold cup final in Table Tennis :)

Reviews for this game have been a debacle of epic proportions. We keep hearing people don't read anymore. Well, people don't seem to play anymore either, because I defy anyone to go past the bronze cups and not marvel at what we have here.

I don't understand it either to be honest! I guess it just takes too many hours to do this game justice and it is not 'hardcore' enough to warrant doing so or something.

I'm on that final gold match by the way (well, the Kenji one anyway ;) ), and so far I managed to win just one game out of three against him. I really have to step it up there - the key seems to be to mix it up, switch from different kinds of spin, counter his strong sidespin with a downspin return, etc.. I can see it is possible to win, but man, it's not easy (for me anyway). I wish I had more space and good recording equipment though, as the matches are really cool. I tried to record a little with my simple digital camera's video function, but it's hard to get both me and the game into the picture.

At least I'm half decent at it though - I actually had trouble to beat the halfway match for frolf in the silver cup. The higher levels really require your full attention. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
played the gold tiered archery level with 2 wands. Got to the guy just before the challenge mode (so no.4) and it was just a frenetic mess of shooting. I think the answer here is matching shots (he shoots one, I shoot one) but scoring better via better accuracy but I kept thinking I can get 2 shots before he shots another... which makes me panic and no focus.

Ahhh. kept losing.

Loving archery.

Amir0x

Banned
spwolf said:
i say it just shows what is possible in future action titles like God of War, R&C, etc, etc...

It would never work for a game like God of War or R&C.

Something like a first person RPG, though...perhaps

marc^o^ said:
Well, people don't seem to play anymore either, because I defy anyone to go past the bronze cups and not marvel at what we have here.

Done and defied. Generalization Failure.

marc^o^

Amir0x said:

Done and defied. Generalization Failure.
Good morning mister 10%.

Amir0x said:

God of War nop, but R&C is nearly a third person shooter, lately, with a lot of focus in weapons. So a pointing scheme may work. I think it's already applied to the Heroes on the Move, that has a similar gameplay than R&C.

Top Bottom