• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

jax (old)

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I've got my camera at that ~approximate height as it's at the base of my TV (as shown on screen for the calibration), so I don't think the height is the issue. Although, I'm assuming the grip he's using isn't what he uses in the game. I point my controller at the screen vs holding it upright.

I've had no issues with the archery and enjoy the two move setup, but unless you do what the lightgun games do which is to reflect what you're actually pointing back from the screen, there's going to be a calibration of what the PSEye thinks you're pointing at (from whatever angle that is) to what the screen shows you in terms of the cursor.

I played gold mode archery last night for the 1st time and 3 starred the first 4 opponents. so there wasn't any calibration issues for me. 2 wands

Like real archery, you have to look past your arm to see the target. I mean, all these complaints about not being able to see.. um, with 2 wands, the left hand goes out, you either look or you instinctive know that your cursor and the wand is 1:1 and you can then adjust your arm and move the cursor on the screen without having to look down the barrell of the wand.

why is yoshichan's ball not lit up? And disconnected. Isn't that more the problem? Like it ran out of juice than it not working?

+

mad props to zindagi games. never heard of them. They came out the door with a superb game. Good work guys.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did the developer ever say why they didn't make this game 3D? Seems like it would have added to the experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jax said:
Iwhy is yoshichan's ball not lit up? And disconnected. Isn't that more the problem? Like it ran out of juice than it not working?
lol, I had it turned off.

Also, ping pong is kinda pissing me of right now.

Snipes424

Finally completed gold cup and secret character for gladiator. I probably lost a couple pounds doing that :lol :lol. Such an insane workout.

iam220

I got some gladiator related questions.

can you dash forward?
how do you do the super moves?
any other combos aside from the air combos?

The game itself is awesome and as I was playing it I got a glimpse into the future of fighting games. The classic fighters will still be around but I think this new genre will prove to be quite popular amongst gamers.

Redbeard

Banned
Plinko said:
What I don't get is: Why do you take my opinion of this game so personally? Were you personally involved in the creation of this game? Because, if not, your reaction to my opinion is a bit much. I think I was very reasonable in displaying my enjoyment of this game while also discussing what I was disappointed with. If you disagree, great--that's your call.

Probably because you start your argument off by claiming that anyone that sees a large leap over Wii Motion + is a 'fanboy', and then you go on to somehow justify your opinion by citing an Edge score, when this magazine has a tendency to overrate certain franchises to one extreme while underrating others. As if one publication's score is proof of ANYTHING.

I wouldn't call that 'reasonable' discussion.

jax (old)

Banned
iam220 said:
I got some gladiator related questions.

can you dash forward?
how do you do the super moves?
any other combos aside from the air combos?

The game itself is awesome and as I was playing it I got a glimpse into the future of fighting games. The classic fighters will still be around but I think this new genre will prove to be quite popular amongst gamers.

you can do a shield bash. T+right controller move forward = bash.

Supermove = block with shields to build up meter. Once full. You need to connect to then start the super move. you can also build supermove meter by hiding by movewands behind your back.

Combos are pretty limited but the game isn't about crazy combos. diagonal slash. horizontal slash. jump attack.

beast786

mgviperman said:
Finally beat Kenji in Gold Cup TT. Once I found out about that right side on the serve, it was cake.

Yep. That was the key. Also, dont try to out power him. Play small ball on his left or your right. Same with serve, his left and your right.

cakefoo

beast786 said:
Yep. That was the key. Also, dont try to out power him. Play small ball on his left or your right. Same with serve, his left and your right.
I'll have to try this tomorrow (too late tonight) Thanks for the tips.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TheExecutive said:
So... whats your favorite 'mini-game' in SC?

Hurr

I already said multiple times I like SC but I could see the reasoning behind comparing it to a minigame collection--not that I actually believe it to be so. You fanboys take things way too personally.

Answering your trollish, flame-baiting question, though--table tennis. My favorite part of playing through that one was learning that you actually had to move your body to win. Wii Sports Resort couldn't come close to offering that experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was just starting to enjoy ping pong again when I finally three starred bronze, silver and gold.

Then what happened? Champions Cup unlocked, and what's the difference between Gold and this? Well, in champions cup, they're all cheating fucking rubber band AI. What's the point in playing this, seriously? I can smash 114mph and the ball bounces almost up the roof on my opponents side. You know what the CPU will do? Easily hit the ball back to me.

When are developers going to realize that cheating, unrealistic behaviors in a game like this just adds to suckyness and not replayability or fun?

beast786

Yoshichan said:
I was just starting to enjoy ping pong again when I finally three starred bronze, silver and gold.

Then what happened? Champions Cup unlocked, and what's the difference between Gold and this? Well, in champions cup, they're all cheating fucking rubber band AI. What's the point in playing this, seriously? I can smash 114mph and the ball bounces almost up the roof on my opponents side. You know what the CPU will do? Easily hit the ball back to me.

When are developers going to realize that cheating, unrealistic behaviors in a game like this just adds to suckyness and not replayability or fun.

sorry but you are playing it wrong. Have you ever seen real TT competition.

Your opponent has backed off and given himself the room to pick up the shots. TT balls are light, hence not much momentum. So even when you smash it, the momentum slows down if you are standing back from the edge of the table. Like they do in real life.

You need a combination of small ball and use the smash when he is right next to the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IVASo0umU

Yoshichan

beast786 said:
sorry but you are playing it wrong. Have you ever seen real TT competition.
Syef3.png

My opponent manages to hit the ball back and he's standing extremely close to the table. I've seen so much TT in my life and this is unrealistic AI behavior.

beast786

Yoshichan said:

My opponent manages to hit the ball back and he's standing extremely close to the table. I've seen so much TT in my life and this is unrealistic AI behavior.

:lol

You need to have your shots more toward <--- angle and closer to the edge on that side ,side of the table. By smashing the bounce so close to his side of the net , gives away the velocity (which is equivalent of him standing back, hence close net slam he doesnt need to step back) and direction.I am halfway done with the Championship round and find perfect as with AI progression.

Yoshichan

beast786 said:
:lol

You need to have your shots more toward <--- angle and closer to the edge on that side ,side of the table. By smashing the bounce so close to his side of the net , gives away the velocity and direction.I am halfway done with the Championship round and find perfect as with AI progression.
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I didn't really give it a chance. I just beasted the first CPU but during the match I was thinking "Shit, this is insane, need to post this on GAF" :lol I should be going back to it later.

beast786

Yoshichan said:
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I didn't really give it a chance. I just beasted the first CPU but during the match I was thinking "Shit, this is insane, need to post this on GAF" :lol I should be going back to it later.

I know exactly what you are talking about. the 2nd person in CS round plays that high volley. Play small ball with her. And then get that situation just like you drew but smash the ball more left and bounce close to the edge.

Keep in mind there is still alot of assist , even at CS level. Take advantage of that.

Yoshichan

beast786 said:
Keep in mind there is still alot of assist , even at CS level. Take advantage of that.
What kind of assists are we talking about here? Sorry I really have no clue o_o. I'm playing this pretty much exactly how I play ping pong in real life.

distrbnce

Banned
Mr.Green said:
I've 3 starred TT Bronze, Silver and Gold, bitches! :lol

Who am I going to brag to if not to you guys eh?

Admirable indeed. Wish PSN was open so we could always show/compare our stats... though it's interesting that this is the first time I care about that.

Though, Zindagi could've provided access to this info another way... Please! (guess it'll be more unlikely and less interesting the further we move from launch)

quetz67

Banned
Plinko said:
Did the developer ever say why they didn't make this game 3D? Seems like it would have added to the experience.
No need to make a game 3D from the start....when 3D takes off they can do it with a patch

spwolf

Yoshichan said:

if it was to mimic exact real life behavior, nobody would be able to play the game as they dont have the space in the living room...

Kinan

Wow, Champions Cup is so good in TT. AI no longer makes an unforced mistakes, and significantly more agressive. Finally beat a second woman, will probably do one opponent per day - the need already a few tries to figure out best strategy.

95 World Rank on TT (PSN)

Nice. Have you beat Champions Cup? I think I'm somewhere in the top 300. :)

Plinko

quetz67 said:
No need to make a game 3D from the start....when 3D takes off they can do it with a patch

True--Just wonder why not from the get-go when Sony is pushing 3D like crazy. Tumble in 3D is amazing.

jax (old)

Banned
cakefoo said:
I beat Kenji thanks to Beast's tip about his weak left side--- 3-starred him, actually!

I also taped the next game- my first match with Ace 8000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNi8Z599Vlo

I survived up to the 17th point ^_^

I was just dog-tired after though, lol...

the way you moved in the video. Just like REAL ping pong. :D

That is just an awesome vid.

* confession. I played 1 match of ping pong ever. LOL

cakefoo said:
I beat Kenji thanks to Beast's tip about his weak left side--- 3-starred him, actually!

Great Vid Homeboy, Ace has a lot of personality.

The real beauty of this video is your exhaustion towards the end. You slump over bracing yourself on your knees as if, I don't want too say this.....as if you were playing the real sport.

MOVE bitches deal with it.

Shnookums said:
Why doesn't he drop shot when the guy is fifteen feet behind the table?
Guy in the yellow had his number, no doubt about it. He even turned his back at one point and I could have sworn I saw an in-between the legs shot. Then he goes on offense at will, just toying with poor old blue. Devastating to anyone's confidence.

After seeing all that, had blue dropped the shot I'm half convinced that yellow would have somehow shadowmorphed into the perfect counter position. The guy was that amazing.

KZObsessed

Got my full copy of SC yesterday but I've been too ill to play, felt better tonight so I thought I'd play the first couple of games just to test it out... ended up 3 starring the entire Bronze and Silver Cups on Table Tennis! :D Couldn't put it down! It's 2:30am and I'm going to load it back up now for a few games... hopefully just a few games. I'm shattered.

If this had online, it would be just *mind blown*

jax (old)

Banned
KZObsessed said:
Got my full copy of SC yesterday but I've been too ill to play, felt better tonight so I thought I'd play the first couple of games just to test it out... ended up 3 starring the entire Bronze and Silver Cups on Table Tennis! :D Couldn't put it down! It's 2:30am and I'm going to load it back up now for a few games... hopefully just a few games. I'm shattered.

If this had online, it would be just *mind blown*

heh. That's a fair few games. I tend to play 1 cup per day. 2 cups back to back and 3 starring them? :p

get a 2nd wand and play archery and gladiator. You'd love it.

KZObsessed

Jax said:
heh. That's a fair few games. I tend to play 1 cup per day. 2 cups back to back and 3 starring them? :p

get a 2nd wand and play archery and gladiator. You'd love it.

Yeah I'm probably gonna pick up another wand by the end of the week, can play some MP Table Tennis then as well! :D Well, 4:30am now (so much for a few games) time for sleep -_-

jax (old)

Banned
gotta say:

I am absolutely dreadful at table tennis. I'm up to round 3 and I'm getting creamed. From the play session, I was like "wow, if all I had was the TT demo, I probably wouldn't buy SC".

anyhow, up to the kenji tictactoe match in gold archery and it was brutal. Can't beat him.

X_X

Shnookums said:
Why doesn't he drop shot when the guy is fifteen feet behind the table?

Because that return is not nearly as inoffensive as it looks, it comes with mad spin. A drop shot is extremely difficult, in fact I don't think I've ever seen one in that type of position. His mistake was shooting the smash to the wrong side, directly to the defending player.

fixuis

cakefoo said:

My god, that was awesome to watch, you played amazingly! I'm still on silver and going one opponent a day, taking my time with this game like fine wine. Watching this video was like watching two really good players in real life, I seriously for a sec got lost in the back and forth rallies. Now I know what those guys meant that on gold and championship mode with less assists, this game is legendary, might as well replace a real table. As amazing as this game is, if Sony patches in online play, I think I wont play anything else lol. This is the stuff dreams are made off. If I have to show someone what the move can do, I'll show them this vid.

You may all laugh at me, but I just realized that each character played differently. Yes yes, even the profiles state which stats the characters specializes in but I didn't realize how much it affected gameplay.

Top Bottom