• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

A.R.K

UntoldDreams said:
Sport's Champions DLC

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045I7J3Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

==I guess skins?
Full contents of the Haunted Pack: Characters: Deadmund, Numbskull, Specter. Equipment: Disc Golf - Phantom Disc Set, Bocce - Skull Bocce Set, Table Tennis - Phantom Paddle, Gladiator Duel - Skeleton Sword/Shield, Archery - Skull Bow, Volleyball - Skull Ball.

meh ... hope they have some more interesting DLC (more sports added) then just stupid skins...who the heck buys shit like this?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It'd be nice to have a roadmap of their upcoming DLCs.

As a free update, I may have downloaded this one but I'll only pay for online/ new AI/new sports.

Slaylock

Here's the blog post about the DLC: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/04/coming-to-psn-tuesday-sports-champions-haunted-dlc/

5042295395_1a1559c43e_z.jpg

spats

YianGaruga said:
Played volleyball with a buddy yesterday from 11 PM until 6AM :lol

Second best game after TT right now!

Interesting. I haven't been able to get into the volleyball at all. My favourites by far are bocce and tt.

spats said:
Interesting. I haven't been able to get into the volleyball at all. My favourites by far are bocce and tt.
Bocce is just too slow for me.
The bronze cup in volleyball was uninteresting, but once the enemies get harder and you have to dive, block and effectively place your spikes every round it is really fantatstic.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
YianGaruga said:
Bocce is just too slow for me.

I think it's pretty intense when you and your opponent are going back and forth with super shots.

What incredibly disappointing DLC.

anddo0

For that type of DLC, it should be no more than $1.99/$2.99. I was hoping for new game modes, online patch something along those lines.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I've beaten bronze on all (well my four year old did the v-ball for me) and silver on Bocce and disc golf. Surprisingly I've found all the sports fun in different ways. Gladiator and TT are a workout and intense. Bocce and disc golf are more laid back, with v-ball somewhere in the middle.

I really hate when the CPU pulls off some crazy shot in disc gold or Bocce. You can almost see the various computations taking place and how improbable the various bounces and stuff lead to great shots.

I refuse to buy any DLC that adds nothing to the gameplay - especially when it's the titles very first DLC, less than a month after release and for such an exorbitant price. What a rip.

I want new sports, or expansions of previous sports. This game is BEGGING for a Duck Hunt rip off!

Played the tt at the EG expo, really enjoyed it once I got used to the controls. The serving takes some getting used to especially, but it is indeed very accurate.

Not a bad idea ripped from comment section of the blog.

Is it possible for you to get this message to the devs. Is it possible for them to make users have a Virtual Identity Profile(VIP) ala ESPN NFL2k5. Say for instance Me playing as Jackson I upload him with my Playstation ID and anyone can download him and play against him with my profile tendencies. It will be great as an alternative to not having an online mode. Imagine the replay value of something like that. I have more ideas but don’t want to bore you, but I think this is the way to go to avoid all kinds of latency issues with table tennis.

yea, they're off their rockers if they think I'm gonna pay $5 for skins. Even though they're pretty cool...

I would, however, pay whatever they asked for additional sports.

AndyD said:
Yep. Them and High Velocity Bowling apparently did very very well with the $1 DLC method.

I don't mind really. It's not very hard to not buy this kind of dlc. The only disadvantage could be that devs see this model as good enough and never try to bother with more meaty dlc.

Haunted

Got a chance to play this for several hours two days ago, a friend brought his starter pack and Sports Champions over. Much to my surprise, Bocce made the best impression on me, ahead of Archery and Gladiator (both stifled because we only had one Move) and even Table Tennis, which I usually adore if done well.

I have no desire to play disc golf or volleyball again.

Overall, I'd need more of an incentive to actually get a Move - or two Moves - myself. Killzone 3 might've been the one if it had been made from the ground up for Move specifically instead of just added support for it. So I feel no rush to get one at the moment, but the tech convinced me (love how T and the big Move button feel), the calibrating is easy and painless, the camera works well... so as soon as must have software pops up, I'm there.

Chris_C

Like Home, this is the kind of skin SC should have been wrapped in. More fantastic skins and arenas please.

However, at $5 for three skins I'm not getting these.

FireCloud

I've been really impressed with this game. So far bocce and disk golf are my favs. As someone mentioned above, those are more laid back than the other sports on the disk.

However, I enjoy playing each of the other sports as well. TT can be very frustrating. I've never been a good TT player and most of the matches I've won have been come from behind victories. I've come to dread the word "deuce" ;-)

Does anyone know if the new DLC characters will show up in the cup events or are they only for free play events?

AndyD

aka andydumi
PjotrStroganov said:
I don't mind really. It's not very hard to not buy this kind of dlc. The only disadvantage could be that devs see this model as good enough and never try to bother with more meaty dlc.

Doubt it. If anything interest in this kind of DLC provides them with two things, revenue as well as show of interest that their game is still being played. So they know whether to even invest in meaty DLC.

Honestly I dont think we will get meaty DLC for this, I think they will instead build a sequel with more sports and improvements to the current ones.

I'd pay for a full table tennis game based on these mechanics, get rid of the goofy characters and put real table tennis players with real table tennis gear, get rid of special skills for characters, your character's skills should be yours.
Get real table tennis brands in it, Stiga, Joola, Donic, Butterfly, Nitaku; etc.
And while you are at it license some real players names, some legends like the Swedish beast Jan-Ove Waldner, current guys like Timo Boll, etc.
As an ex-pro Table tennis player, I can tell you this game feels very close to real deal, but you have to disassociate the goofiness of "ping-pong" with with the blazing fast and amazing game that real table tennis is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Omega Man said:
I'd pay for a full table tennis game based on these mechanics, get rid of the goofy characters and put real table tennis players with real table tennis gear, get rid of special skills for characters, your character's skills should be yours.
Get real table tennis brands in it, Stiga, Joola, Donic, Butterfly, Nitaku; etc.
And while you are at it license some real players names, some legends like the Swedish beast Jan-Ove Waldner, current guys like Timo Boll, etc.
As an ex-pro Table tennis player, I can tell you this game feels very close to real deal, but you have to disassociate the goofiness of "ping-pong" with with the blazing fast and amazing game that real table tennis is.

I have no doubt we will see one, but both a pro game and an arcade style game like this have their place.

You will probably not get a Tennis game because of Virtua Tennis.

You will probably not get a fighting game because of The Fight Lights Out.

You will probably not get a dart game because of the Pro Darting Game coming out soon.

These are the full fleshed out games coming to the market

gluv65 said:

Is it possible for you to get this message to the devs. Is it possible for them to make users have a Virtual Identity Profile(VIP) ala ESPN NFL2k5. Say for instance Me playing as Jackson I upload him with my Playstation ID and anyone can download him and play against him with my profile tendencies. It will be great as an alternative to not having an online mode. Imagine the replay value of something like that. I have more ideas but don’t want to bore you, but I think this is the way to go to avoid all kinds of latency issues with table tennis.
If online can't be implemented then this is probably the next best thing. I would pay money for that. Just wonder how feasible it would be to do after releasing the game.

Bootaaay said:
Clay pigeon shooting, Tennis, Cricket & Darts would suit me fine.
Darts would be great.
You will probably not get a Tennis game because of Virtua Tennis.

You will probably not get a fighting game because of The Fight Lights Out.

You will probably not get a dart game because of the Pro Darting Game coming out soon.
So there can only be one game for each sport? Got it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
YianGaruga said:
So, what sports do yo want as DLC?
My picks:

Baseball, Tennis, Curling, Boxing

These plus bowling.

A.R.K

YianGaruga said:
So, what sports do yo want as DLC?
My picks:

Baseball, Tennis, Curling, Boxing

For me boxing and tennis are a must and I know Zindagi will do a fantastic job

Take my monies Sony and please do this. Extra $$ for an online add-on.

Afrikan

gluv65 said:

What a Great Idea............. FML. :(

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I think the top sports would be

Darts
Fishing
Bowling
Hunting (with proper shooting mechanics)
Rowing (would be amazing with ps eye tracking body movement)
Baseball/Cricket type game

Boxing would be number 1 but SONY has the Fight coming out shortly and they wouldnt want to boxing games going at it. Furthermore, why would you want tennis when you have table tennis already and Virtual Tennis is just around the corner?

YianGaruga said:
Darts would be great.
So there can only be one game for each sport? Got it.

Nah, that's not what I'm saying. I just believe they don't want over saturate the market. They have gotten these developers on board, why would they undercut them by offering games similar to the games they have coming out soon?

Le-mo

I caved in and bought the Move bundle last Saturday. I was surprised by how much fun I had with the game. Does anybody have any tips on calibrating the move controller? I noticed it wasn't accurate some of the times.

spats

Le-mo said:
I caved in and bought the Move bundle last Saturday. I was surprised by how much fun I had with the game. Does anybody have any tips on calibrating the move controller? I noticed it wasn't accurate some of the times.

Make sure the camera doesn't wobble around. It's really light so that can happen pretty easily. That can throw the calibration off a bit.

Top Bottom