• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Mr.Green

Loudninja said:
Do people really thing this would work online? Seem like it woudl be a headache.
No it would work pretty well I think. Just leave our controllers straight up on the table, chat, have a few beers and bet on the outcome while the game plays itself.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol

I tried against Kenji using another character, same result.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yoshichan said:
Played TT for 9 hours today, hard. My whole body aches, I'm sweating like a pig, I'm shaking (I can barely type this) and I feel like throwing up.

God damn, I should be careful with this game. By the way I'm 62 kilos.
My right arm just barely healed from Saturday. I can finally play some more. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
recklessmind said:
You were 62 kilos.

edit: I had to take a break for two days because my arm/back/neck were so sore... it was awesome.
:lol
KZObsessed said:
omg eat something
Yeah I should... Jesus.

By the way, a buddy's coming to my place tomorrow to play Ping Pong (most likely for another 5 hours)... but I don't think my arms going to be able to handle it. What the hell should I tell him ?:lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I played a little bit today left handed... figured I might as well try and learn so I don't look like that guy from lady in the water.

Mr.Green

Loudninja said:
Thats the assist people already knows it there, it gets less and less each cup.How is this all new to you?

I don't know. Maybe because I was swinging the paddle myself the whole time?

Jesus mate, stop being so defensive. The game has ridiculously forgiving bounding boxes. That's all.

Okay I tried replicating what you where doing twice and failed. It seems like you found a glitch more than anything. I noticed when u serve you are holding the paddle vertically instead of horizontally the way you should. It seems as though you have found a way to break the game that way.

Yoshichan said:
By the way, a buddy's coming to my place tomorrow to play Ping Pong (most likely for another 5 hours)... but I don't think my arms going to be able to handle it. What the hell should I tell him ?:lol

That you wore it our by masturbating.

beast786

Mr.Green said:
I don't know. Maybe because I was swinging the paddle myself the whole time?

Jesus mate, stop being so defensive. The game has ridiculously forgiving bounding boxes. That's all.

Its like playing with a BIG racket. But it still plays 1:1. And the volley/hitting and spinning and placement are all close to 1:1. Its the assist of big racket. Which I knew already. And posted here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
redbarchetta said:
That you wore it our by masturbating.
Nah, he knows I don't play Bocce.

Mr.Green

StreetDisciple said:
Okay I tried replicating what you where doing twice and failed. It seems like you found a glitch more than anything. I noticed when u serve you are holding the paddle vertically instead of horizontally the way you should. It seems as though you have found a way to break the game that way.

This is weird. I'm serving normally and it works for me no matter what.

I'm standing in the rain while you're telling me it's a sunny day. I'm sorry guys but at this point I have no alternatives but to question your agenda here. We need someone objective to try it out.

Amirox, you are requested. :lol

beast786 said:
Its like playing with a BIG racket. But it still plays 1:1. And the volley/hitting and spinning and placement are all close to 1:1. Its the assist of big racket. Which I knew already. And posted here.

Nobody said it wasn't 1:1 wtf? But wait... Why are you saying it doesn't work for you if it's an assist you knew about?

beast786

Mr.Green said:

I'm standing in the rain while you're telling me it's a sunny day. I'm sorry guys but at this point I have no alternatives but to question your agenda here. We need someone objective to try it out.

Amirox, you are requested. :lol

Nobody said it wasn't 1:1 wtf? But wait... Why are you saying it doesn't work for you if it's an assist you knew about?

Dude, its like a big racket. We already know that. Thats the assist. But you still have to play 1:1 to play and it recognizes it that way. You are not going to smash the ball by holding the racket like that, you are not going to have a spin or place it by holding it like that.

I am not sure you understand how TT 1:1 works.

The fact it has a bigger detector has nothing to do with its 1:1

beast786

Mr.Green said:

because it doesnt work like how it shows on the video at all. But there is a bigger detector which I already know.

beast786

beast786 said:
Keep in mind there is still alot of assist , even at CS level. Take advantage of that.

Here is my post from 2 pages back. We know about the bigger raket/box. But , I cant replicate on that video.

Mr.Green

I don't know who you're arguing with but surely it can't be me. I never said the game didn't hold the 1:1 holy grail and I even said you wouldn't win by playing like in this youtube video.

You said you tried to replicate what was in that video and that it didn't work out for you, and now you're telling me it's just some assist you already knew about all along? Am I missing anything?

Edit: okay so you've added 2 posts while I was typing this one... Oh well, whatever. Game is fun no matter what. Back to that fucking Champions cup!

I haven't been able to reproduce what happened in that video. I've tried it on Bronze, Silver and Gold. It definitely looks like it can occur though if others can make it happen.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Oni Jazar said:
We've got at least 2 people who can reproduce that video with no reason to lie.
I reproduced it in Bronze, but the box gets smaller in Silver and Gold for me. I cannot win a match in silver doing what the person did on that video.

There is a bounding box though thats undeniable, but I shake at the thought that this game could be harder without that box.

Mr.Green said:

?

ds160.png

This is serving normally? It seems your holding the move upright instead of sideways to serve. The guys wrist looks broken. I have no agenda trust me, just trying to replicate what you are doing and failing at it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok, I just reproduced it with Dallas. Thing is, if your paddle is just a hair off from being completely flat facing the opponent, it won't work. It does look like a bounding box glitch for sure.

Fun fact: the winner of the Tester show on PSN tested this game out. WAY TO GO CYRUS. :D

Mr.Green

StreetDisciple said:
ds160.png

This is serving normally? It seems your holding the move upright instead of sideways to serve. The guys wrist looks broken. I have no agenda trust me, just trying to replicate what you are doing and failing at it.
I didn't make that video buddy.

jax (old)

Banned
StreetDisciple said:
ds160.png

yeah you will get that but the model can't account for all the sorts of ridiculous twistage you can put the move through (with the body anyhow). At least the hand is 1:1

I noticed it when I played TT but I just LOLed.

jax (old)

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Played TT for 9 hours today, hard. My whole body aches, I'm sweating like a pig, I'm shaking (I can barely type this) and I feel like throwing up.

God damn, I should be careful with this game. By the way I'm 62 kilos.

wow. 9 hours? That's hardcore. I can't do 4+ hours. But then I'm dual wanding gladiator and archery most of my time, not TT.

RuGalz

Finally got around to beat Kenji on Gold without taking the easy way out. Great practice for dealing with spins. The fake he does still tricks me half of the time though. :lol

beast786

Mr.Green said:
Champions cup is starting to seriously piss me off.

I played small ball and only smash when really need to . I am at kenji in champion ship mode, his spins defy Newtons Physics. :lol

I cant see beating him.

beast786

darkwing said:
any tips to defeat Gold Kenji in TT? i can win 1 game by playing defensively but not the game

Fast serve on his left (almost to the edge).

Keep on his left. Play small ball unless you know you have a winner.

Mr.Green

beast786 said:
I played small ball and only smash when really need to . I am at kenji in champion ship mode, his spins defy Newtons Physics. :lol

I cant see beating him.
Yeah I won the first two Champions matches that way but it just feels random. They'll return just about any smash and miss random crap if you're patient enough. Also, I know this is a video game but the spins they pull off are very arcadey and feel out of place in an otherwise very convincing TT simulation.

Just let me have the fucking cup god damnit! :lol

All the games are great. I can't pick a favorite. Frisbee Golf's challenge events piss me off. Automatic from a 100ft but can't toss it 20ft threw a damn ring.

Mr.Green

RuGalz said:
Finally got around to beat Kenji on Gold without taking the easy way out. Great practice for dealing with spins. The fake he does still tricks me half of the time though. :lol
The easy way out being? Breaking his legs?

fixuis

Just fired up some ping pong and tried to replicate the problem reported here. Couldn't do it, not even on bronze, both with forehand or a backhand. So that's that. Now something interesting I came across. When playing the game, your downloads in the background go into a pending state. This only happens with games with an online component, maybe it's because of the stats or news tracking but I'm still hopeful for a patch that adds online.

darkwing

beast786 said:
Fast serve on his left (almost to the edge).

Keep on his left. Play small ball unless you know you have a winner.

how do you do a fast serve btw? can't do it in real either :lol

fixuis

darkwing said:
how do you do a fast serve btw? can't do it in real either :lol

When serving, let the ball get low and then swing quick or try to swing like you're hitting a forehand top spin shot, combo of both will make the serve rocket just like irl. Not only is it fast but if your let the ball get low and then serve, it stays close to the table/net and can be hard to dig under, less time in the air, less time to fall, makes it fast. Gravity does the rest.

Look at me giving tips like I'm talking about playing in real life. This game has spoiled me :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Got my second Move controller and had a blast in Gladiator. I found Archery to be much harder though with 2 controllers, am I doing something wrong or do you also feel this way?

jax (old)

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Got my second Move controller and had a blast in Gladiator. I found Archery to be much harder though with 2 controllers, am I doing something wrong or do you also feel this way?

I didn't play much archery with 1 wand but the notching and holding adds an additional level of atheletism to the game. I got real sore from it but its rewarding I feel.

I'm up to kenji on Gold and I've 3 starred a fair few. All you gotta do is get used to it. Its using the cursor on screen and then your blue move arm adjusments to line up shots + account for gravity. Its surprisingly easy to get used to once you wrap your head around what you're doing. If I can continually hit the little gold bags of money on GOLD level, I'm sure you can too.

dual wand gladiator is a workout and a half.

lucius

The game froze on me after winning the bronze cup archery and trying to save and continue taking the pose photo. My slim is pretty new and no other problems with it so I think there might be a bug. I was playing around with poses for a while so that might have something to do with it. The game saved that I passed bronze but didn't save the pic, but the pic was onscreen when it froze.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mr.Green said:
Yeah I won the first two Champions matches that way but it just feels random. They'll return just about any smash and miss random crap if you're patient enough. Also, I know this is a video game but the spins they pull off are very arcadey and feel out of place in an otherwise very convincing TT simulation.

Just let me have the fucking cup god damnit! :lol

That's why it's clearly Rubberband. You just know when you can win the round, and when you're going to have to fight hard to do so.

distrbnce

Banned
lucius said:
The game froze on me after winning the bronze cup archery and trying to save and continue taking the pose photo. My slim is pretty new and no other problems with it so I think there might be a bug. I was playing around with poses for a while so that might have something to do with it. The game saved that I passed bronze but didn't save the pic, but the pic was onscreen when it froze.

I can almost guarantee that Unplugging/replugging the PSEye would've fixed it.

I've had this bug a few times, and it's even in the GB SC Quicklook.

Hope they can fix that, it's a simple fix but for someone that doesn't think to try that it could cause a lot of frustration.

It's probably happened 6 times total for me, most of the time when I come back to SC and the Move has turned itself off (after 10 min) and the "Please Reconnect Motion Controller" screen is up.

But it's not as obvious as a frozen picture; it's when you try to do the first "point at the screen" calibration and it will just keep failing over and over... replug the camera.

KZObsessed

Started TT Gold Cup today, finally a challenge! This is great. I loaded up the game and all of a sudden 3 hours have flown by. This game is up there with KZ2 MP, PES, and Football Manager as one of the most addictive games ever for me. Love it, tho by the sounds of things the cheaty A.I. later on will start to ruin it :lol

Jax, strap on a pair and Table Tennis up in this bitch!

Amir0x

Banned
god i hate when i do a jump attack in Gladiator and my mace literally clips through their polygonal ballsac and there is no blocking whatsoever, yet no damage is done

hit detection epic failure.

Amir0x

Banned
beast786 said:
I am stuck at kenji in championship cup. There is no way i can see myself beating him

All the enemies have a pattern they stick to even on Championship cup, and once you exploit it, it's real easy to take them out with any of your latent abilities.

I'd say play a few rounds until you learn the pattern, where he likes to strike from, what side is his power side, and then open up the gaps in his attack. I'm making it sound easier than it is, but it really is not about like throwing your arms around as hard as possible and sweating your balls off. It's more about blocking and parrying and then opening up them holes in the defense, and each enemy tends to have specific ways they're weak defense-wise.

Top Bottom