• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

beast786

Amir0x said:
All the enemies have a pattern they stick to even on Championship cup, and once you exploit it, it's real easy to take them out with any of your latent abilities.

I'd say play a few rounds until you learn the pattern, where he likes to strike from, what side is his power side, and then open up the gaps in his attack. I'm making it sound easier than it is, but it really is not about like throwing your arms around as hard as possible and sweating your balls off. It's more about blocking and parrying and then opening up them holes in the defense, and each enemy tends to have specific ways they're weak defense-wise.

Thanks.

That did work for bonze, silver and gold. Even during championship run.

But, this last man standing Kenji is unbelievable. And to make it worst , I have to beat him twice :(

Will try to figure him out. :D

Chris_C

Good lawd.

My Move, Sports Champions and NavCon Arrived 6 hrs ago. After waiting for them to charge for 3 hrs I hopped into the games.

Gladiator Duel: Surprised this if my favorite, I thought there would be a little lag, but there really isn't any, and bu jove is it fun. My shoulder socket is about to give way though, will have to switch to the left so I don't develop a comedically over-developed right side.

Table Tennis: I'm pretty good at TT in real life, but on Bronze level I'm having a hard time judging the distance and position of the ball as it moves through the air (even though it's highlighted where it's going to bounce on the table). I wish I could make my character just a little more opaque.

Bocce: S'okay.

Disc Golf: S'okay, but I can't seem to keep the Frisbee level no matter what.

Archery: Ain't tried it yet... I only have one Move (delivery company forgot the other one) and I'm worried it'll be crap with one.

Still hopelessly in love with this game. It gets better with time.

Cannot stop playing Disc Golf. Gladiator I can stop because of the muscle fatigue. :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Chris_C said:
Good lawd.

My Move, Sports Champions and NavCon Arrived 6 hrs ago. After waiting for them to charge for 3 hrs I hopped into the games.

Gladiator Duel: Surprised this if my favorite, I thought there would be a little lag, but there really isn't any, and bu jove is it fun. My shoulder socket is about to give way though, will have to switch to the left so I don't develop a comedically over-developed right side.

Table Tennis: I'm pretty good at TT in real life, but on Bronze level I'm having a hard time judging the distance and position of the ball as it moves through the air (even though it's highlighted where it's going to bounce on the table). I wish I could make my character just a little more opaque.

Archery: Ain't tried it yet... I only have one Move (delivery company forgot the other one) and I'm worried it'll be crap with one.

What? You're character shouldn't even show, it's just the paddle. Also the game is terrible on bronze as the paddle moves on it's own. Every time I try to play when I try to switch from forehand to backhand I hate the ball. Just stick with it until you're at silver or gold, much better.

edit-
Oni Jazar said:
We've got at least 2 people who can reproduce that video with no reason to lie.

make that 3, I get it to happen. It's different when you actually play, the boxes are definitely not that generous, but if you get it in the right position this definitely works. However you can't win by doing that.

After 35 tries I effing finally beat Kenji in the gold cup. Found a pretty good good weakness of his. When he does that really short serve that barely dribbles over the net you just have to hit the ball as far away from him as possible and he can never ever make that return. And he tries that serve a ton. Took me a ton of tries till I found a strategy that worked....

...and then champions cup :\

acevans2

Hey, I remember I saw this complaint before but I don't remember what the advice was.

I got 2nd Move controller tonight and tried archery. It's way better that way, except for the fact that I have to lift my left arm (the one holding the 'bow') way up high to get it in the field where I'm trying to aim.

Any way to fix that?

MrPliskin

Banned
Does anyone else have strange things happen during archery, like the bow randomly aiming in crazy directions? That seems to happen to me a lot, especially if i'm playing with 2 people, 4 move controllers.

haadim

Disc golf on Gold Cup difficulty is just too hard.

Can't even get past 3rd opponent.

I fear my wrist and elbow joints will blow if I keep throwing full force.

There better be an easier technique .....

With two move controllers in archery it seem as though the blue controller is the set point. If it's not faced right at loading it causes the aim window to be different than where you point it afterwords. Like how Tiger Woods sets the ball placement when you point down and hold the trigger.

darkwing said:
how do you do a fast serve btw? can't do it in real either :lol

I have trouble with that as well. I saw a tip that you need to hold the paddle more horizontally away from your body and swing through it that way on the serve. I'm definitely serving faster but I still haven't gotten the "fire" serve.

I also have NEVER hit a smash harder than ~67 mph, so I must be doing something wrong since I see people claiming ~100. My arm is going to fall off if I swing any faster. I know it shouldn't all be arm speed so I try to snap quickly, but no difference so far.

I hate ACE. Son of a bitch is just spin smash central on me. I took one out of 3 from him, so I'm getting better, but I'm finding I'm not as patient as I was with Kenji's gold.

Vlodril

Fuck Champions cup in table tennis.. I ve lost maybe 2 times until i got to it and i cant get past boomer. She has beaten me 8 times already. Cant pass smashes , cant pass underspins or overspins or anything she is just a fucking ninja and gets everything. :lol

My god this is brutal and she is only the second one in the champions level.

Vlodril said:
Fuck Champions cup in table tennis.. I ve lost maybe 2 times until i got to it and i cant get past boomer. She has beaten me 8 times already. Cant pass smashes , cant pass underspins or overspins or anything she is just a fucking ninja and gets everything. :lol

"I've taught her well"

1147908926.jpg

distrbnce

Banned
MrDenny said:
Are equipment just for looks?

Pretty positive there are no statistical differences for the most part... but I did play one round of Gladiator with the Wooden Training Sword and definitely felt weaker... could've just been an off match, but it was enough to make me switch immediately. :D someone else try it.

Chris_C said:

Bocce gets progressively cooler after the 3rd match, you might be surprised.

and with Disc Golf, just end your toss with the Move pointed straight at the TV and level and that should be straight.

and Archery is just as fun (and easier on the arms) with one, though I kinda feel like it's cheating if you have 2 for some reason :lol

haadim said:

You probably don't need to be throwing full force. Watch the little meter and just make sure you're still hitting ~100% while gradually reducing your power.

Jim

haadim said:

I've noticed that taking a step or two forward (moving towards the PS Eye) and throwing produces more power than just swinging your arm at full speed standing still. I'm pretty sure the game takes forward motion into account.

It would also be the more correct technique in real disc golf as well.

beast786 said:
Championship Cup.

Against kenji. There is no way. Just no way.

If anyone who has beat him , please ....
If i ever get that far...

Stuck at the same place as Vlodril.

Probably gonna play some Gladiator next as i just got a second wand!

You wanna know what's f'd up about Sports Champions?

Well it is so physically demanding, that drinking is out of the question.

My normal video game playing included the non-participation pacakage. Press button after button until there is nothing.

Amir0x

Banned
drinking is totally in the question, what are you on about?

Drinking is practically the only way I can really enjoy myself with these types of games!

Crisis

Banned
gluv65 said:
You wanna know what's f'd up about Sports Champions?

Well it is so physically demanding, that drinking is out of the question.

My normal video game playing included the non-participation pacakage. Press button after button until there is nothing.

You are wrong. I'm going to get wrecked and yell at virtual people for legitimately beating me in this game. Just like I would in real life.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Crisis said:
You are wrong. I'm going to get wrecked and yell at virtual people for legitimately beating me in this game. Just like I would in real life.

Haha I get so mad at them... they aren't even real. :lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
Too lazy to search. Is there a way to quit out of a match (e.g. 18 holes of disc golf) without quitting SC entirely?

Just made it to gold disc golf and gold gladiator. The game really takes a toll on you.

Also, adjusted my camera to sit above my TV ... I think I like it there better, even if it is right at 2m above the ground. :\

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Amir0x said:

Drinking is practically the only way I can really enjoy myself with these types of games!
All "casual" games should be played drunk. I even have a drinking game with Buzz! Quiz TV.

Hazelhurst

I'm still playing through the gold cup in Table Tennis. I'm getting my ass kicked in gold. So, I decided to go back and get all the stars in bronze and silver. Holy shit did i feel like a badass in bronze.

jvm

Gamasutra.
kassatsu said:
So there is gunna be some dlc next week.

"Haunted Pack" and Unlock all stuffs.

Am I lttp with that?
Sounds like a scoop to me. Get it up on PSN Stores, quick.

Just beat Kenji on Gold, then the robot. Insane how fun it is when you really get going. Like people have said, it truly is a workout. If I honestly never play another game with Move, it will have been worth it for this. Never thought I'd say that, but it's that fun.

Chris_C

msdstc said:
What? You're character shouldn't even show, it's just the paddle. Also the game is terrible on bronze as the paddle moves on it's own. Every time I try to play when I try to switch from forehand to backhand I hate the ball. Just stick with it until you're at silver or gold, much better.

What I meant was that I wish I could make my character less transparent and increase his opacity to give me a better idea of where he was, what he was doing etc. Sometimes it's a little difficult to be sure where I am on the Z-plane with just the paddle.

Also, you were right, I'm on silver now and it's so much better, the CPU doesn't drag my paddle about over-enthusiastically any more.

DoubleTap

Chris_C said:
What I meant was that I wish I could make my character less transparent and increase his opacity to give me a better idea of where he was, what he was doing etc. Sometimes it's a little difficult to be sure where I am on the Z-plane with just the paddle.

Also, you were right, I'm on silver now and it's so much better, the CPU doesn't drag my paddle about over-enthusiastically any more.

you're totally not describing what SC table tennis is. Your character isn't transparent at any degree, it's invisible. And your paddle isn't "dragged" (whatever that means) by the CPU over enthusiastically or otherwise. You can hold it still or wave it around as you wish.

what the heck are you playing?

Amir0x said:

You know I don't remember writing this at all. I drank like a pint of single barrel jack and a few red stripes. I was playing table tennis and my motor skills diminished and I was getting wiped out on silver. Missing the ball serving crazy ect... and lost 2 games by not scoring at all.

j-wood

Does it matter what character you pick for the games? As far as stats or whatever, or are they just for looks?

I played sc table tennis at Frys the other day and had a few matches with some kids on bronze mode. The game looked nice, but the controls felt inferior to wii motion plus table tennis on wii sports resort. There was definitely a delay as well which I don't notice on wii sports resort. I won all the matches however :D.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Leon S. Kennedy said:
I played sc table tennis at Frys the other day and had a few matches with some kids on bronze mode. The game looked nice, but the controls felt inferior to wii motion plus table tennis on wii sports resort. There was definitely a delay as well which I don't notice on wii sports resort. I won all the matches however :D.
No. Wrong impression.

MrDenny

Leon S. Kennedy said:
I tried it at frys before I bought it online and there was no lag, maybe you didn't recalibrate from the previous person.
Having played both wii sports resorts/sports champion, sc is definitely miles ahead.

sonycowboy said:
I also have NEVER hit a smash harder than ~67 mph, so I must be doing something wrong since I see people claiming ~100. My arm is going to fall off if I swing any faster. I know it shouldn't all be arm speed so I try to snap quickly, but no difference so far.
I think it´s all about timing when snapping the wrist, to get those hard shots, just keep trying.

I found TT really hard to begin with, my 6 year kid faired better than me to start with the initial Bronze matches. The timing is slightly different from RL, I would completely destroy him IRL table tennis. Though in the later matches my experience is starting to pay off. :D

cakefoo

DoubleTap said:
you're totally not describing what SC table tennis is. Your character isn't transparent at any degree, it's invisible. And your paddle isn't "dragged" (whatever that means) by the CPU over enthusiastically or otherwise. You can hold it still or wave it around as you wish.

Actually bronze does do what he described. As the ball nears your edge of the table the paddle moves on its own a little.

To Chris_C:
In time, you're going to get used to telling where you are on the Z-plane by where you are in your room, how the paddle scales to the table, etc. Drawing an avatar attached to your hand would be an exercise in futility.

I really believe it was a mistake for Sony to force people to play through Bronze before taking off the assists on Silver and Gold. I went back to 3 star everyone on Bronze, and was shocked at how different it is now that I was used to Gold. It's a shame, because most people play Bronze on a demo kiosk, don't get the big deal, and never pick it up again.

marc^o^

CartridgeBlower said:
I really believe it was a mistake for Sony to force people to play through Bronze before taking off the assists on Silver and Gold. I went back to 3 star everyone on Bronze, and was shocked at how different it is now that I was used to Gold. It's a shame, because most people play Bronze on a demo kiosk, don't get the big deal, and never pick it up again.
On the other hand silver is too hard for first time players, I invited friends to test it and they were so bad I was shocked. I should have made them tried bronze first, at least they would have scored some points.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll update the OP as soon as the DLC arrives.

I haven't been playing this game lately. :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
kassatsu said:
I am guessing Halloween themed items/costumes. There is no more info other than the name at this time
I would pay $5 ... maybe $10 ... for a good set of levels for disc golf. Make it happen, Sony.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
beast786 said:
Championship Cup.

Against kenji. There is no way. Just no way.

If anyone who has beat him , please ....

I thought the same... just play small ball seriously. I tried so hard for about an hour, then I just decided to play light volleys with him and I won 2 in a row by a significant amount.

DoubleTap said:

No he's definitely right. In bronze they move the controller for you, you just have to hit the ball. Silver's a bit better, and gold is wayyyy better. Plus what he's saying isn't he doesn't want to be invisible, he wants to see his character to get a better idea of where he is.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
People have complained about this being a collection of depthless minigames... but if I never play another game on the move, I'd still feel like the purchase was worth it.

I've spent more $$$ taking a girl out for a night... and didn't get half the workout. :/

:lol

Vlodril said:

I'm here too, though haven't really got a chance to really go for this one as I had an audience which included my mother and my 2yo son ... :lol

She's a tease though what with returning all these high balls!

Amir0x

Banned
wtf @ the hail mary bocce shot my sister made to win the match against my Dad

last shot, she was gonna lose to match... it was potentially 6-4 ender, and she had one throw left. She just whips the thing wild and it flies out of the ring and slams against the boardwalk, and then bounces BACK into the course slamming right next to the Pallino and in process knocking all my Dad's balls (lol) out of the area, scoring her three points :lol

preeeetty sure the bocce ball has too much weight in real life to ever bounce back insanely like that!

marc^o^

Amir0x said:
wtf @ the hail mary bocce shot my sister made to win the match against my Dad

last shot, she was gonna lose to match... it was potentially 6-4 ender, and she had one throw left. She just whips the thing wild and it flies out of the ring and slams against the boardwalk, and then bounces BACK into the course slamming right next to the Pallino and in process knocking all my Dad's balls (lol) out of the area, scoring her three points :lol

preeeetty sure the bocce ball has too much weight in real life to ever bounce back insanely like that!
You won't be able to regret buying Sports Champions after such a scene :)

Top Bottom