• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Malvolio

Just added this to my watch list. Had no idea Bocce was included. My family plays Bocce at all summer gatherings, will be neat to show them that the fun can continue even when winter hits!

Big B said:
question. I never played wii sports (sold it for $$$) and I do sort of like trophies. Will I have fun with this?

Yes. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Wii Sport but I really like this. Lots to unlock.

DoctorWho said:
Yes. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Wii Sport but I really like this. Lots to unlock.

Same. I very much disliked Wii Sports, but Sports Champions is damn amazing. I think they really hit it out of the park with the games they chose to use. I think volleyball is last on the list of showcasing the Move's abilities, but it's still fun.

If you play Table Tennis and can't figure out the difference between Move and WM+, you should probably stick with your Wii and let the big boys play with Move.

flyinpiranha said:
Interesting. I'll have to screw around with it more. It seems even when I'm not holding T for the shield (playing with 2 Moves) I still regularly just swing-and-a-miss when it seems like I should be connecting.

FOUND OUT YOUR PROBLEM: YOU CAN'T USE CUSTOM WEAPONS ON SILVER CHAMPIONSHIP!

I had your problem and then switched to the default weapons on character select and then pow, damage without pressing the T button.
Sorry for Caps, just hope you can see the solution.

distrbnce

Banned
malingenie said:
FOUND OUT YOUR PROBLEM: YOU CAN'T USE CUSTOM WEAPONS ON SILVER CHAMPIONSHIP!

I had your problem and then switched to the default weapons on character select and then pow, damage without pressing the T button.
Sorry for Caps, just hope you can see the solution.

Er, I really don't think this is correct either. I used the Samurai sword (holding it correctly even :D ) and the Phantom Sword and still have never held the T button down on the right Move.

Really not sure what's happening for you guys, but it must suck. Sounds like a bad dream. :lol

The only time I was whiffing on SC was when I was still holding the T button on the shield controller. I let go of it, and all my hits connected again.

blurredvision said:
If you play Table Tennis and can't figure out the difference between Move and WM+, you should probably stick with your Wii and let the big boys play with Move.

How's the job at Sony going?

A.R.K

Best motion control game out there...tons of fun but with depth to master. The precision is absolutely amazing. Seriously any one comparing this and WSR in the same league has not played this game. I haven't even touched other sports yet except archery, table tennis and gladiator and this game has been beyond my expectations. If there is one big difference between Move and Wii, its waggle vs true motions...that's where Move wins big time. You don't waggle, you play exactly how you would in real life. Had a party this weekend and visiting kids were already begging their parents to buy them the Move :lol

9/10

distrbnce said:
Er, I really don't think this is correct either. I used the Samurai sword (holding it correctly even :D ) and the Phantom Sword and still have never held the T button down on the right Move.

Really not sure what's happening for you guys, but it must suck. Sounds like a bad dream. :lol

Nah, at most it was a temporary bug that got fixed by resetting weapons.

Stoffinator

cameltoe said:
After reading all the comments here, I am picking up Move after work tonight! Gonna get the SC bundle. :D

You won't regret it. Although, waiting for the controller to charge will test your nerves.

farnham

Banned
blurredvision said:
Same. I very much disliked Wii Sports, but Sports Champions is damn amazing. I think they really hit it out of the park with the games they chose to use. I think volleyball is last on the list of showcasing the Move's abilities, but it's still fun.

:lol :lol

Jokeropia

Redbeard said:
Wii mote is only really able to do orientation and pointing accurately, but not three dimensional positioning.
Wrong wrong wrong. The Wiimote even without MotionPlus calculates the angle and absolute distance from the sensor bar when pointed at it. This was used as early as Wii Play, and is described very extensively in the patent application. (It's quite a lot of text, so if it's the absolute distance you're interested in it's referred to in the text as "distance realD". Angular position is covered in [0154].)

distrbnce

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Wrong wrong wrong. The Wiimote even without MotionPlus calculates the angle and absolute distance from the sensor bar when pointed at it. This was used as early as Wii Play, and is described very extensively in the patent application. (It's quite a lot of text, so if it's the absolute distance you're interested in it's referred to in the text as "distance realD". Angular position is covered in [0154].)

You wouldn't have bothered writing this if you had used both. It's irrelevant. Wiimote doesn't work like Move does. Why come up with a marketing pseudonym for 3D?

btw, can I coin reMove as Move Remote's shorthand? :D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DangerousDave said:
Of course it get a result. What kind of motion controller will be, if waggle it doesn't give any return?

Check the video that Redbeard just added. 00:50, to see how WSR don't get any kind of positional information, only orientation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi2eaY_gZ0
I think you are mistaking what the game is programmed to detect and what is detectable. There are definite limitations to what the motion plus can detect but they are not as limited as shown in these videos.

distrbnce

Banned
poppabk said:
I think you are mistaking what the game is programmed to detect and what is detectable. There are definite limitations to what the motion plus can detect but they are not as limited as shown in these videos.

I don't understand why a developer would intentionally block this functionality from the user... especially if it's what the device (AND the $20 upgrade to the device) were expected to do in the first place.

Stampy

I just don't get you Wii people. I mean what are you trying to prove? Wii has great backlog of games, the technology functions rather well, although it is not as precise as Move, but who cares, if it works for what it was made for. Then we have another product that came out 5 years later, and wow what a surprise, it is more precise and natural than Wii (you don't have to get too technical to conclude this. My cousin that is six years old immediately grasped that Move is more precise.). So does that suddenly make Wii a bad hardware? Of course not. I just don't get what are you trying to prove? To be honest I don't even understand why you bother with this thread if you don't plan to buy Move.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jokeropia said:
Wrong wrong wrong. The Wiimote even without MotionPlus calculates the angle and absolute distance from the sensor bar when pointed at it.
The thing is move does this better, and also when the controller is pointed at any angle or sideways to the camera (thanks to sphere on top, the absolute position can be tracked by camera no matter where you point it).

Meh, waggle my snaggle; I'm not one for diversions.

Though I can do some table tennis.

I'm not a wii guy, but the last bit of that topic title is horrible.

jax (old)

Banned
Stampy said:
I just don't get you Wii people. I mean what are you trying to prove? Wii has great backlog of games, the technology functions rather well, although it is not as precise as Move, but who cares, if it works for what it was made for. Then we have another product that came out 5 years later, and wow what a surprise, it is more precise and natural than Wii (you don't have to get too technical to conclude this. My cousin that is six years old immediately grasped that Move is more precise.). So does that suddenly make Wii a bad hardware? Of course not. I just don't get what are you trying to prove? To be honest I don't even understand why you bother with this thread if you don't plan to buy Move.

this. Not only that, the comparable wii experience is wm+ and that has um, 3 games? I wish they'd just leave this thread alone. I think all the wii vs wm+ crap can go to the move OT.

TheRagnCajun said:
The GAF hype is making it hard to resist...

you should definitely pick up a sports champion bundle and be blown away. Its such a great game and if this thing remotely didn't work, itd be savaged to hell and back here already.

poppabk

distrbnce said:
I don't understand why a developer would intentionally block this functionality from the user... especially if it's what the device (AND the $20 upgrade to the device) were expected to do in the first place.
To keep things on a relatively level playing field. If you want to have local multiplayer across a wide range of demographics then you are going to have to limit the complexity. 'My wife loves it' will rapidly change to 'my wife hates it' if you stay up a couple of nights practicing and proceed to beat her 10 games in a row. Your friends are not gonna be eager to come over and try playing your new move set-up if they don't stand a chance against you.
You add simulation depth to simulation games not party/local multiplayer games.

poppabk

Stampy said:
To be honest I don't even understand why you bother with this thread if you don't plan to buy Move.
You don't understand why people who are interested in motion controls are interested in move? I think a lot of people are wondering if it will be worth upgrading to a PS3 with move down the line if it gets decent software support, and if the hardware is as good as it has the potential to be.

distrbnce

Banned
poppabk said:
To keep things on a relatively level playing field. If you want to have local multiplayer across a wide range of demographics then you are going to have to limit the complexity. 'My wife loves it' will rapidly change to 'my wife hates it' if you stay up a couple of nights practicing and proceed to beat her 10 games in a row. Your friends are not gonna be eager to come over and try playing your new move set-up if they don't stand a chance against you.
You add simulation depth to simulation games not party/local multiplayer games.

Luckily, the developer of SC has ignored you. They took the thought process one step further and allowed for different levels of handicaps, with the highest being "raw data" sort of access, so you can actually develop skills and get better at the game.

Most importantly, the feeling you get from the devices lets you realize it's your -own skill- that is causing things to happen, not arbitrary workarounds thought up by devs.

Casuals can relate to this immediately.

And I'd be willing to bet that as you learn the "tricks" of the wiimote, you would be better at particular games than any casual could ever be.

That won't be the case with the real information coming from Move.

Jokeropia

I'm just correcting obviously false statements.
distrbnce said:
You wouldn't have bothered writing this if you had used both. It's irrelevant. Wiimote doesn't work like Move does. Why come up with a marketing pseudonym for 3D?

btw, can I coin reMove as Move Remote's shorthand? :D
Do you have any actual point or are you just playing dumb?
Jax said:
this. Not only that, the comparable wii experience is wm+ and that has um, 3 games?
25+, actually.

KAL2006

Banned
Stampy said:

Exactly, Of course Move is going to be superior to Wii controls, Sony is not going to copy someone and come out with a shitter product

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jokeropia said:
Wrong wrong wrong. The Wiimote even without MotionPlus calculates the angle and absolute distance from the sensor bar when pointed at it.

This is more of a corner case though...this is only useful in a subset of situations.

Think of - say - swinging like a racquet. I'm not sure my move or my wiimote is ever pointing at the top of my TV in that kind of motion.

It's not really general enough to be usable, typically. Even AILive, the people who invented M+, don't seem to regard it as generally viable. Per their developer's manual, they note that you can track position relative to a starting position with M+, but typically only for a couple of seconds before the data goes bad - suggesting an overwhelming reliance on the internal sensors for that data. So their recommendation is to only track short discrete motions. This is very different to what Move's doing - tracking position relative to a external fixed point (the camera) and for indefinite periods of time.

cakefoo

Stampy said:
No, Wii has always been bad hardware.

DING DING DING

goomba

Banned
It's pretty predictable to see lots of people who hated motion controls suddenly embrace and hype them because their system of choice now offers them.

distrbnce

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Do you have any actual point or are you just playing dumb?

My point, quite clearly, was that your tech specs to account for "realD" are obviously PR trickery, and hasn't manifested itself in practice. It's irrelevant.

BeeDog

Goddamn, the archery game is killing my arm. :lol This game is really a lot of fun, didn't think such a 'casual' game would attract me. Good stuff!

Dante

goomba said:
It's pretty predictable to see lots of people who hated motion controls suddenly embrace and hype them because their system of choice now offers them.

Yay for blanket statements!

Boney

Banned
blurredvision said:

hur

Animator

BeeDog said:
Goddamn, the archery game is killing my arm. :lol This game is really a lot of fun, didn't think such a 'casual' game would attract me. Good stuff!

There is nothing casual about the games past the bronze trophy. Table tennis gold cup is challenging me as much as anything in demons souls.

distrbnce

Banned
goomba said:

I embraced motion controls when "Revolution" got it's name. My imagination ran wild.

But by the Wii's release, I saw exactly what it was. No, I never wanted that.

Move, on the other hand, picks up gracefully right where my imagination left off, and suddenly I can be excited about a new way to game.

Stike

Everybody! Stop the hate and the war, NOW!
Its SO not worth it, especially here in this topic, thank you.

goomba said:

Clearly not the case with me. The thing that won me over was 1:1 motion. It really does what you do, at least concerning your arms and hands. And this game here in this topic definitely showcases the technology to a good degree AND is also a good game, not just a glorious tech demo.

KAL2006

Banned
goomba said:

I hated Waggle, but I don't mind 1:1 motion. I actually liked Motion Plus, but there are not enough games that use Motion Plus. I also didn't mind pointer controls from the Wii. The main thing that irritated me was waggle.

B-Dex

Beach Volleyball update:

I'm on the last round of the Gold Cup and the AI is just cheating now. Anyone have any tips? (I was three starring everything up to this point :()

jax (old)

Banned
goomba said:

do I need to post a pic of both my PS3 and wii? (which is disconnected?)

This thread is derailing fast. I love move because of what it does, 1:1/3D space and the fact that the HD visuals really draw you in,

1285018637.jpg

disconnected + haven't been touched in 5+ months. And you can also see a 360 game (splinter cell) there so I own all 3 consoles.

:D

Jokeropia

gofreak said:
Think of - say - swinging like a racquet. I'm not sure my move or my wiimote is ever pointing at the top of my TV in that kind of motion.
When you're swinging a racket, chances are you're holding it in your hand and where you stand in the room is not as important as how it moves relative to your body.
gofreak said:
It's not really general enough to be usable, typically. Even AILive, the people who invented M+, don't seem to regard it as generally viable. Per their developer's manual, they note that you can track position relative to a starting position with M+, but typically only for a couple of seconds before the data goes bad - suggesting an overwhelming reliance on the internal sensors for that data. So their recommendation is to only track short discrete motions. This is very different to what Move's doing - tracking position relative to a external fixed point (the camera) and for indefinite periods of time.
I'm not sure you understand. You would only use M+ to track position if you're not letting the controller see the sensor bar.
distrbnce said:
My point, quite clearly, was that your tech specs to account for "realD" are obviously PR trickery, and hasn't manifested itself in practice. It's irrelevant.
Well then your point is quite dumb, because as I mentioned in my post, it manifested itself as early as Wii Play back in 2006.

distrbnce

Banned
Jokeropia said:
When you're swinging a racket, chances are you're holding it in your hand and where you stand in the room is not as important as how it moves relative to your body.
I'm not sure you understand. You would only use M+ to track position if you're not letting the controller see the sensor bar.Well then your point is quite dumb, because as I mentioned in my post, it manifested itself as early as Wii Play back in 2006.

That's all great. All I'm saying is that anyone that's used Move knows you haven't.

jax (old)

Banned
distrbnce said:
That's all great. All I'm saying is that anyone that's used Move knows you haven't.

QFT.

anyhow, sports champion was an immediate "wow" experience once you really start playing it. The MOVE OT is littered with plenty of REALLY positive experiences. so .... haters gonna hate!

Top Bottom