• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

evolution

Its almost as if some people were watching this thread waiting for the chance to strike. :lol

But anyways... I would have to agree with most people here, the difference is pretty obvious. SC is great they just need to add online to bring it all together.

distrbnce

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I interpret your reluctance to keep to the subject as a concession of the point.

Again, this is irrelevant to me and anyone else that's used both. As it should be.

Here, I concede: Wiimote has super great "realD"

Stampy

distrbnce said:
That's all great. All I'm saying is that anyone that's used Move knows you haven't.

I think that is the biggest problem. If they used it, they would probably agree with general consensus that 1:1 truly immerses you into the game like no waggle can.

Jokeropia

You guys are rich. :lol
distrbnce said:
Again, this is irrelevant to me and anyone else that's used both. As it should be.

Here, I concede: Wiimote has super great "realD"
I don't really care about what you find relevant, I just corrected the false claim that the Wiimote cannot track 3D positioning.

distrbnce

Banned
Jokeropia said:
You guys are rich. :lolI don't really care about what you find relevant, I just corrected the false claim that the Wiimote cannot track 3D positioning.

Well when you get around to it, Move will correct your idea of 3D.

Vyer

Kind of amusing that now that another motion control is out, the criticism suddenly isn't about the existence of waggle, but rather the tech in waggle.

jax (old)

Banned
Jokeropia said:
You guys are rich. :lolI don't really care about what you find relevant, I just corrected the false claim that the Wiimote cannot track 3D positioning.

so what are you doing in the SPORTS CHAMPIONS OT?

Angst

If Wii/WM+ doesn't rely on waggle, why do people get upset by the thread title?

Anywaaaay, I planned to pick up SC today but life got in the way unfortunately. Will get it tomorrow based on all the praise and the really nice demo.

jax (old)

Banned
distrbnce said:
Well when you get around to it, Move will correct your idea of 3D.

well technically, this guys right. Between 1:1/3D space + PS3's ability to do 3D stereoscopic games (tumble)...

:D

I need to buy a 3D tv.

Boney

Banned
Jax said:
do I need to post a pic of both my PS3 and wii? (which is disconnected?)

This thread is derailing fast. I love move because of what it does, 1:1/3D space and the fact that the HD visuals really draw you in,

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/JAX_CLOCKY/1285018637.jpg

disconnected + haven't been touched in 5+ months. And you can also see a 360 game (splinter cell) there so I own all 3 consoles.

:D[/QUOTE]
Get Galaxy and Other M.

Or sell it.

I once got banned for saying I didn't think the people who were complaining about the Yakuza 3 cuts were really going to buy the game anyway since they didn't seem that excited about what was actually left in the game, yet a thread like this goes completely unmodded and is left to devolve into utter fanboy bullshit.

I was enjoying all the Move discussion until the thread was hijacked by the haters. Guess we'll see where it's headed from here...

DeVeAn

I am having issues. I got it working great the first time now after trying to play the broken Time Crisis demo, having to move the eye around, I can't get champions to read as well as it did.

I can only put the eye on the bottom of my TV any suggestions?

Angst said:
If Wii/WM+ doesn't rely on waggle, why do people get upset by the thread title?

Well if you want to go the "play dumb" route:

The title insinuates that any motion control games pre-Sports Champions are purely "waggle" -- otherwise "The Day that Waggle Died" would be inaccurate, as it would have died long ago.

Haunted

Lots of pent-up rage in here. :lol

Really glad that motion controls are gaining more and more fans on GAF. With the Microsofts joining us next month, I expect a majority stake FOR motion controls sometime around next year.

We'll see at the next GAF Gold shareholder meeting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jokeropia said:
When you're swinging a racket, chances are you're holding it in your hand and where you stand in the room is not as important as how it moves relative to your body.

I'm not sure you understand. You would only use M+ to track position if you're not letting the controller see the sensor bar.

Which will be an awful lot of the time in general motion tracking scenarios. It's not reasonable to rely on the sensor bar coming into view sufficiently. Also, what the controller sees of the sensor doesn't necessarily give an unambiguous location...the sensor bar will sometimes appear the same for more than one combination of position/orientation.

If you don't believe me, read what AiLive has said about it. They give a higher level comparison of all the motion control systems here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5935/taking_games_beyond_whack_and_tilt.php?page=1

I don't think they're going to do down their own system, but the distinction between short-term position/orientation tracking (a couple of second's worth, per their developer docs) and long-term tracking without degradation via an external observer (the camera) is made pretty clear.

Anyway, this would probably be a better discussion for the general Move thread rather than this SC thread.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Have I said today this game is awesome? Seriously, what are reviers smoking, Table Tennis alone is a GOTY contender.

This is what I always dreamt motion gaming would offer me. Now bring on an online mode and I will stay fit for the rest of my life :)

distrbnce

Banned
DeVeAn said:
I am having issues. I got it working great the first time now after trying to play the broken Time Crisis demo, having to move the eye around, I can't get champions to read as well as it did.

I can only put the eye on the bottom of my TV any suggestions?

What's happening in SC?

timetokill said:

The title insinuates that any motion control games pre-Sports Champions are purely "waggle" -- otherwise "The Day that Waggle Died" would be inaccurate, as it would have died long ago.
This is silly, there could have been non-waggly motion games that just did not quite kill off waggle. SOMEONE MAKE THIS SHIT STOP.

farnham

Banned
timetokill said:

id rather play waggle games like mario galaxy then. and no i believe those games are not dead.

Stike said:
I knew all along that this thread title would attract the haters.

Damn. D:
a less flamboyant thread title would help a lot

Vlodril

Wth happened in here. It was going well for the first 3 pages. Who the fuck cares if Nintedo did it first or if Sony copied it. Who cares if the wii motion controlls are close to Move or not.

I dont get why all the hate from people that love motion controls. This should be like a wet dream for them. Much better graphics, much better online, better (?) motion controls. Nothing to hate. And why is this discussed here and not in the move OT who knows.

Anyway for me i hope tomorrow it will be be in my hands and there will be some serious ping pong going :lol

DeVeAn

distrbnce said:
What's happening in SC?
It feels like its not working in volley ball. Like when I would to the setup motion it was doing an under arm bump. Oh, and is gladiator hard in silver or what? I cannot him them damnit lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Guys, can we please just ignore all Wii M+ conversation from now on and move all that to the official Move topic? This is the Sports Champions thread. Sports. Champions.

alanias

I haven't been following the Move launch much, are these things available to test in Best Buys and Gamestops yet? Want to see/feel the difference before I drop 100+

distrbnce

Banned
DeVeAn said:
It feels like its not working in volley ball. Like when I would to the setup motion it was doing an under arm bump. Oh, and is gladiator hard in silver or what? I cannot him them damnit lol.

Not sure about volleyball... haven't played it yet.

with Gladiator though, it seems like the most common mistake is activating the shield while trying to attack (holding the left T button)

If you can see yourself in the calibration video though I don't know what else could cause you trouble.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
chubigans said:
Guys, can we please just ignore all Wii M+ conversation from now on and move all that to the official Move topic? This is the Sports Champions thread. Sports. Champions.

THIS. There's so many fanboy dumbass statements and hypocrisy from BOTH sides in this thread.

I want to hear more impressions of Bocce. I just sold my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy to get the remaining funds for the Sports Champions Bundle and I can't wait to get it.

Threi

notag
Stampy said:
I just don't get you Wii people. I mean what are you trying to prove? Wii has great backlog of games, the technology functions rather well, although it is not as precise as Move, but who cares, if it works for what it was made for. Then we have another product that came out 5 years later, and wow what a surprise, it is more precise and natural than Wii (you don't have to get too technical to conclude this. My cousin that is six years old immediately grasped that Move is more precise.). So does that suddenly make Wii a bad hardware? Of course not. I just don't get what are you trying to prove? To be honest I don't even understand why you bother with this thread if you don't plan to buy Move.
leme ask you a question: was this post justified at all?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23440131&postcount=304

Amir0x

Banned
Plinko said:
I just sold my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy

completely unrelated but this sentence made a lonely native american shed a tear

anyway, chubigans is right guys, this is a Sports Champion thread. Try to keep it Sports Champion

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Owning all the consoles doesn't prevent someone from being a fan boy. IDK.

Anyway, back on topic. IS true that racket sports isn't good? I guess Sport CHampions is the way to go for Table tennis experience. Right?

Jokeropia

Jax said:
so what are you doing in the SPORTS CHAMPIONS OT?
I had originally intended to just make that first post correcting the false statement, but I didn't anticipate that people would be so offended by it. It's not like I've made any derogatory statements about Move here.

However you're right, the current discussion is very pointless and I hope the thread can go back to being just about Sports Champions so I'll stop interfering.
gofreak said:
Anyway, this would probably be a better discussion for the general Move thread rather than this SC thread.
As you suggest.

DeVeAn

distrbnce said:
Not sure about volleyball... haven't played it yet.

with Gladiator though, it seems like the most common mistake is activating the shield while trying to attack (holding the left T button)

If you can see yourself in the calibration video though I don't know what else could cause you trouble.
Do I have to be in the square just like the image under it?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
completely unrelated but this sentence made a lonely native american shed a tear

:lol :lol :lol

Sorry--I beat all the games again (and all three completely blow away Other M) and have two kids and no time. Now somebody else can enjoy it as much as I did.

Threi

notag
Firewire said:
Butt hurt Nintendo fanboys crying it seems. Kind of sad that they can't stay away from Move threads.
is it possible to express your disdain for the derail of a thread without being derogatory?

serious question here *puts on peacemaker hat*

if you guys really want to get the thread back on topic isn't there a better way to go about it rather than fanning the flames?

farnham

Banned
Firewire said:
Butt hurt Nintendo fanboys crying it seems. Kind of sad that they can't stay away frome Move threads.
As I said. it would help both the crying nintendo fans and the sony fans that just want to enjoy their peaceful joy of awesomeness that is sports champions to change the thread title. Waggle is a word that has been a stigma to many nintendo fanboys for years now as every game that comes out was automatically called a waggle game. therefore it is now a synonym of some sorts to the wii system as a whole. now if you say that sports champions release is the death of the wii that is pretty provocative imo. so why not change the thread title then the people can enjoy their superior hardware and the wii fanboys can just go somewhere else.

Amir0x

Banned
Firewire said:
Butt hurt Nintendo fanboys crying it seems. Kind of sad that they can't stay away from Move threads.

please, Sony fans can't seem to keep their gloating about the superiority of Move to themselves either.

Both sides need to cut it out, because it's only inevitably going to lead one place.

distrbnce

Banned
Was anyone else completely surprised that the second place Bocce Ball takes you is just an
open park
? I had no idea they would take the game out of it's normal bounds.

Corto

Lonely1 said:
Owning all the consoles doesn't prevent someone from being a fan boy. IDK.

Anyway, back on topic. IS true that racket sports isn't good? I guess Sport CHampions is the way to go for Table tennis experience. Right?

It seems so... Not for personal experience (in the Racket Sports case), but from reports from people in this and Move thread. I think there's a demo on PSN? What I can say for experience is that Sports Champions will be very fulfilling...

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
please, Sony fans can't seem to keep their gloating about the superiority of Move to themselves either.

Both sides need to cut it out, because it's only inevitably going to lead one place.
death?

Dante

distrbnce said:
Was anyone else completely surprised that the second place Bocce Ball takes you is just an open park? I had no idea they would take the game out of it's normal bounds.

Pretty rad actually. I've got so many dirty tactics I like to use while playing, love placing the ball between the walkway stones. I really think if this game had online it be a LEGIT contender for GOTY. It's that fun.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Corto said:
It seems so... Not for personal experience (in the Racket Sports case), but from reports from people in this and Move thread. I think there's a demo on PSN? What I can say for experience is that Sports Champions will be very fulfilling...
Well, I can't try the demo until I buy Move. Considering the Starter Pack... but is very expensive here...

Fixed1979

Plinko said:
THIS. There's so many fanboy dumbass statements and hypocrisy from BOTH sides in this thread.

I want to hear more impressions of Bocce. I just sold my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy to get the remaining funds for the Sports Champions Bundle and I can't wait to get it.

Bocce is good times, it's the first one that I finished the bronze level. Although I'm able to really control the ball (spin, direction, launch angle)I am having trouble getting it up to 100% power (which I've rarely needed thus far). I'm expecting it to get difficult, but at least the bronze level was easy (as it appears to be for all sports).

distrbnce said:
Was anyone else completely surprised that the second place Bocce Ball takes you is just an
open park
? I had no idea they would take the game out of it's normal bounds.

From the third map, the play locations definitely get interesting. Assuming it continues to give new courts I can't wait to see what comes up.

Corto

Lonely1 said:
Well, I can't try the demo until I buy Move. Considering the Starter Pack... but is very expensive here...

Oh, sorry I thought you already had the Move. I'll download Racket Sports tomorrow and try that... I'll get back to you with impressions.

Firewire

Banned
Amir0x said:

I agree, but this is a SC thread, every time I visit this thread its filled with tech comparisons. I would suggest a comparison thread but I doubt it would work for these guys.

This thread has been ruined by a stupid title and Nintendo fans eager for some sort of revenge.

We can't even talk about the game because of this stupid fanboy crap.

Top Bottom