• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Firewire said:
I agree, but this is a SC thread, every time I visit this thread its filled with tech comparisons. I would suggest a comparison thread but I doubt it would work for these guys.

This thread has been ruined by a stupid title and Nintendo fans eager for some sort of revenge.

We can't even talk about the game because of this stupid fanboy crap.
With that Thread Tiltle, what did people expected? Also, Killzone avatars...

beast786

Lonely1 said:
With that Thread Tiltle, what did people expected? Also, Killzone avatars...

In respect to SC and other sports game. I say its pretty accurate. IMO

Also, Kratos avatar. You know what that means right.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe if someone does a separate Move vs. WiiMotion+ thread, this thread will probably be detoxicated.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fixed1979 said:
Bocce is good times, it's the first one that I finished the bronze level. Although I'm able to really control the ball (spin, direction, launch angle)I am having trouble getting it up to 100% power (which I've rarely needed thus far). I'm expecting it to get difficult, but at least the bronze level was easy (as it appears to be for all sports).

And...the order has been placed.

jax (old)

Banned
Firewire said:
I agree, but this is a SC thread, every time I visit this thread its filled with tech comparisons. I would suggest a comparison thread but I doubt it would work for these guys.

This thread has been ruined by a stupid title and Nintendo fans eager for some sort of revenge.

We can't even talk about the game because of this stupid fanboy crap.

Amir0x can easily change it. Change it to sc the |ot| of Jim got it right + link to official neogaf review of 91%

distrbnce

Banned
chubigans said:
That F shaped play map in Bocce threw me for a loop...man that one was tough, but fun.

That one is hard, and i'm sure you tried this... but did you know you can just toss the balls over the "out of bounds" areas? It's tough, but... it should be.

I was reading a youtube comment on Gladiator duel and he or she was stating that in GD, you can jump and squat down and your avatar will do the same. So when I got home to play and try it and it really does squat and jump when you jump. It must be doing head tracking. You can really squat and get some good swats on the leg and you can jump to jump over lower leg attacks.

WHO KNEW!!!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
beast786 said:
Title :lol

I think i know which mod was involve. :lol

Who changed it? :p

Fraeon

I was playing this and I kept whiffing shit because nobody told me you can't hit with your weapon while your shield is up.

Bastards.

So, where's the version of this with online play? :(

Amir0x

Banned
it's negative-neutral, it says nothing at all about the game.

we're not going to give the game a blowjob in the topic to satiate your fanboy needs Jax.

KAL2006

Banned
Damn I wish this game had Bowling, Golf, Baseball and online play, then it would be perfect with infinite replay value.

I played the demo.

Short.

Only one "match" of disc golf. I needed 8 matches to win my opponent. 6 ties, one lost, one win.

Two matches of table tennis. Amazing. I discovered that I suck completly in table tennis, and i failed a lot of "easy" balls. But I won without too many problems. Those girls are HOT.

I'm quite sold, specially for tennis. Even if I haven't play table tennis in the last 25 years, I found it very realistic. But I'll know that I'll be completly owned without the autoassist.

My question is... there is some kind of depth aside from matching with AI each time more difficult? Unlockeables? Clothes? Paddles? I don't want to pay full price if there isn't any kind of depth.

Vandiger

Anyone like experimenting with various grip styles in table tennis? I'm more comfortable with the standard handshake grip but trying out the penhold grip, you get more spin on the ball. Its easier to return fast balls as well, I'm sold :D

Fusebox

Banned
I set out to grab the Move starter pack, extra Move controller and SC on the way home last night.

First JB Hi fi was sold out, second JB was sold out, first EB was sold out, second EB had everything except the additional Move controllers so I got the starters pack and SC.

Getting the camera to sit properly on top of my skinny plasma was difficulty, but a load of tape and blu tac later and I had it sorted.

Colour me awesome, I love it! Disc Golf is just sublime, and pulling off long curve shots is really, really satisfying. Table Tennis seems crazy accurate but I'm just not a huge TT fan. I started off terrible at Bocce until I learned how to ignore the power meter and all the other HUD info and just naturally throw based on where the balls are onscreen and all of a sudden I started sweeping my opponents.

No problems playing the Gladiator game. I wasn't holding T to attack and I was bashing my opponent all over the ring.

Archery looks great but is a bit of an arm-deadener and isn't really exciting enough to justify the effort.

I like the characters too, although they definitely fall into the marketing-department-created-generic-Tekken-ish-dudebros-and-babes-category I far prefer them over the previous generation of motion based gaming avatars.

Had some problems with the Tiger Woods 11 demo though. When it says point the controller straight down to start swing, it was really fussy about the positioning. Sometimes it'd take too much stuffing around before I could even active the swing mechanic. So far Disc Golf > TW 11.

Trakdown

Archery alone sold this for me, but what I've tried of the other games has been fantastic. I suck at Table Tennis (same as in real life), but still enjoyed it. Disc Golf's been fun too.

Now we just need online.

Amir0x said:
alright and just to be clear the next person that mentions Motion+/Wii in this topic will be banned.

That's fair. 400 posts of rubbing their noses in it were enough. :D

I will master that evil cave mouth hole in Disc Golf if it kills me. I've created some sort of mental block where I inevitably hit on of the sides of the cave....

ULTROS!

Can the OT title be "Sports Champion OT of pretending to play sports" so it will be purely neutral? :p

ULTROS! said:
Can the OT title be "Sports Champion OT of pretending to play sports" so it will be purely neutral? :p

Guys, the thread title is already neutral. It says absolutely nothing, positive or negative, about the game itself.

jax (old)

Banned
Fusebox said:
I set out to grab the Move starter pack, extra Move controller and SC on the way home last night.

First JB Hi fi was sold out, second JB was sold out, first EB was sold out, second EB had everything except the additional Move controllers so I got the starters pack and SC.

Getting the camera to sit properly on top of my skinny plasma was difficulty, but a load of tape and blu tac later and I had it sorted.

Colour me awesome, I love it! Disc Golf is just sublime, and pulling off long curve shots is really, really satisfying. Table Tennis seems crazy accurate but I'm just not a huge TT fan. I started off terrible at Bocce until I learned how to ignore the power meter and all the other HUD info and just naturally throw based on where the balls are onscreen and all of a sudden I started sweeping my opponents.

No problems playing the Gladiator game. I wasn't holding T to attack and I was bashing my opponent all over the ring.

Archery looks great but is a bit of an arm-deadener and isn't really exciting enough to justify the effort.

I like the characters too, although they definitely fall into the marketing-department-created-generic-Tekken-ish-dudebros-and-babes-category I far prefer them over the previous generation of motion based gaming avatars.

Had some problems with the Tiger Woods 11 demo though. When it says point the controller straight down to start swing, it was really fussy about the positioning. Sometimes it'd take too much stuffing around before I could even active the swing mechanic. So far Disc Golf > TW 11.

LOL like me yesterday. 6 shops. 0 movewands~

ended up with a nav controller which didn't help me as I wanted to play gladiator duel with 2 wands.

How many of you are playing this with 2 movewands vs 1?

timetokill said:
Guys, the thread title is already neutral. It says absolutely nothing, positive or negative, about the game itself.

It doesn't say anything about the commercials either.

EDIT: fuck it. We get to play Sports Champions! :D

After reading about people playing with 2 wands I opted for 2 wands instead of Wand/Nav combo.

Best.Decision.Ever.

The Nav is pretty pointless until I pick up RE:5 Gold down the road and/or something good comes out that needs it. Plus they are everywhere and only $30 so I'll just pick it up when I pick up a game I want/need it for.

ULTROS! said:

A purely neutral title for sensitive GAF would be 'Sports Champions |OT|'

Anyways, what you guys throwing down for peripherals? I've heard some games need two lightbulb controllers, some need one lightbulb and one navigational. Some games are two player and need two lightbulbs per player. This is getting a little outta hand. Whats a reasonable amount of peripherals to buy for this and another upcoming move games?

Mrbob

ryan-ts said:
I kind of find it depressing to see people so excited about this game, have you guys ever played the real thing? Actual table tennis is even more fun, so much more fun infact that it if you found yourself really enjoying the table tennis it would be worth your time to not only purchase a table but also find some people to start a little table tennis league. You could make it happen every Tuesday evening at 7pm. Think about it, thats all I ask.

I am someone who also loves table tennis, and what you suggested would be better in an ideal world. However, I do not have room for a table so this seems like a nice substitute. I played it for awhile at Best Buy and had fun. It isn't the real thing, but for a digital recreation it is really, really good. Plus the cost for Move starter pack and extra Move is still cheaper than buying a table and all the equipment you need even if I had the room for it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Might pick it up this week, saw ppl on my friends list playing it.
Indifferent2.gif

Jax said:
LOL like me yesterday. 6 shops. 0 movewands~

ended up with a nav controller which didn't help me as I wanted to play gladiator duel with 2 wands.

How many of you are playing this with 2 movewands vs 1?

2 Moves no navi just yet will get one soon.

I initially had 1 move on Friday and then I started watching some youtube vids with 2 moves and I just couldn't resist. It is an added level of immersion.

Like I said in a previous post, I think HEAD TRACKING is enable in Gladiator Duel, you can squat and your avatar squat and the Moves are still in the same position, you can also Jump and your avatar will jump.

EDIT: No headtracking after extensive test. I had my son hold the controllers and I jump and squat nothing, so its just tracking the move which is still cool that it squats when you squat and jumps when you jump, that's some added depth and control.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Bocce is by far my favorite sport in this package. I may even take up real life Bocce because this is just awesome beyond my expectations.

Besides that being my favorite by far I would rank the other games like thus

Table Tennis>Disc Golf>>Volleyball>>>>>Gladiator Duel>>>>Archery

Table Tennis and Disc Golf are the only two that are equal or better than ..other things lol. Volleyball is solid if not a little glitchy and Gladiator/Archery to me are the worst of this package. I would much rather of had a samurai or kendo based game or maybe just a better designed true 1:1 Gladiator game. It does show a lot a promise for something like Demon Souls 2 however. Archery is easiest the worst and most unpolished of the bunch. I can't see anyone who has played a... similar version being too impressed with this.

Overall a pretty solid package and worth buying for Bocce alone but I think it just goes to show that better technology doesn't always equate to a better game. These sort of 1:1 motion games require a high degree of polish that most developers just aren't accustomed to.

This is the reason why so many 3rd party Motion based games are pretty horrible. It takes a real quality developer to make these games and they aren't as cheap to make as the waggle stuff so its a rare instance when a motion game will have a quality developer and a quality budget.

EDIT: Took out any mention of that other thing.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Vandiger said:
Anyone like experimenting with various grip styles in table tennis? I'm more comfortable with the standard handshake grip but trying out the penhold grip, you get more spin on the ball. Its easier to return fast balls as well, I'm sold :D

How does that work? The Move has a pretty wide girth compared to a real paddle. Can't imagine that being comfortable

MrPliskin

Banned
What's with the thread title? Did I somehow end up on GameFAQs?

Anyway, I am thinking of picking this up. I really enjoyed the demo with Disc Golf and Table Tennis, but I'm curious about the other sports.

Specifically, how is Archery? I mean, what kind of variety do they offer for game modes? Are there moving targets, and how does the competitive mode for this work?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
OK so I played Table Tennis constantly for the last 3 hours and I have to say I love it. Seriously this is one of the best games I have played in the last few years and the fact that I feel like Im getting a work out just tops it off. Of course it could just be the endorphins talking :)

At first I sucked ass. Also my camera is about at the height of my stomach since I couldnt get my TV mounted yet so my setup took a bit of recalibrating to get right. Once I got used to the game and hitting a virtual ball I was destroying the CPU in Bronze and Silver and it makes sense since I am pretty good at table tennis in real life as we play it everyday at work. Never have I felt so good at beating virtual CPU characters as I do in SC. Also my damn PS3 crashed right on Kenji Silver FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

One note though is that pointing sucks for me. I haven't played an FPS yet but it doesnt feel accurate in this game (maybe is my setup?). Either way I found pointing horrific on the Wii and this is a step above but I still get the sense its not fully tracking where I want to point. Maybe I'll get use to it but I feels wrong right now.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
PistolGrip said:
OK so I played Table Tennis constantly for the last 3 hours and I have to say I love it. Seriously this is one of the best games I have played in the last few years and the fact that I feel like Im getting a work out just tops it off. Of course it could just be the endorphins talking :)

At first I sucked ass. Also my camera is about at the height of my stomach since I couldnt get my TV mounted yet so my setup took a bit of recalibrating to get right. Once I got used to the game and hitting a virtual ball I was destroying the CPU in Bronze and Silver and it makes sense since I am pretty good at table tennis in real life as we play it everyday at work. Never have I felt so good at beating virtual CPU characters as I do in SC. Also my damn PS3 crashed right on Kenji Silver FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

One note though is that pointing sucks for me. I haven't played an FPS yet but it doesnt feel accurate in this game (maybe is my setup?). Either way I found pointing horrific on the Wii and this is a step above but I still get the sense its not fully tracking where I want to point. Maybe I'll get use to it but I feels wrong right now.

IT appears to be fine in other games though, like Flight control HD and The shoot. Flight Control pointing was insanely good, to me at least. I don't have a wii, so i am not interested in comparisons. It works, end of story.

I'd say it depends on the software implementation. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Top Bottom