• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
I haven't even watched the first episode of this show and yet I knew exactly what song this was. So damn catchy.
Yep!

As for the anime itself, it's strange to have a show with a strong feminist impulse that relies on moe and faux-school girl yuri. It makes me so conflicted!

Jex

BluWacky said:
I like to give Glass Fleet the benefit of the doubt; some of it is I think intentionally bizarre. It's the fact that the animation is so terrible that makes it quite so gloriously awful.
You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Melodrama and angst is why I never finished Oniisama e... and that show was a thousand times better than Angel Beats!. :/

Maybe someday.
It depends where you stopped. There's a whole arc in that show I actually dislike, but everything is great (even if I'm laughing at inappropriate times).

"Your mother used to work for a living! Disgusting!"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
zeroshiki said:
Eh, you have to get past the premise. Assuming there is some Japanese kid out there who throws 160kph, the baseball parts of Cross Game would be realistic because of the dominance he shows. Kou basically throws the ball straight to the catcher and people can't catch up.

H2 showed how the Ace pitcher archetype would be unfair if he actually had control and breaking pitches. (Hiro throws a slider in Koushien that made everyone, even Hideo, look like chumps).

And as for the Oofuri stuff, I guess I need to give it more of a chance. I just really like the Adachi stuff so I chafe when I'm presented with other takes on HS baseball.
I can assume my dick is 6 feet long, made of steel, and capable of killing a man if I turn around fast enough. That maybe more believable than a 15-16 year old, throwing 100MPH ball. Let's add on accurate enough to get a strike, and having the endurance to last a game.

Dresden

trejo said:
Dororon Enma-kun 1

So how awesome was this? So awesome.

Season just keeps getting better and better. Surely there must be a catch somewhere.
There is no catch, Yamakan died for our sins and now anime is saved.

hU3hBl.jpg

Rejoice!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Or maybe it's not, and it just doesn't have quite the sense of crushing emotional weight and import of Brother, Dear Brother, making it seem a lot lighter.
I'm pretty sure that's a mix of Dezaki and constant insanity.
hosannainexcelsis said:
It's true that a 0-10 rating system - or any rating system - can't entirely capture the nuances of a show's quality. In this case, it seems pretty simple: Some shows cannot be watched or enjoyed. Glass Fleet can be watched and enjoyed, if not for the reasons the creators intended. So, while Glass Fleet is a failure, it doesn't deserve the worst rating possible.
You're correct, in that no sane mind can conceive of a rating scale with Glass Fleet on one side and any other show on the other side.

trejo

shintoki said:
I can assume my dick is 6 feet long, made of steel, and capable of killing a man if I turn around fast enough.
Holy shit, do you also steal faces?!

Dresden said:
There is no catch, Yamakan died for our sins and now anime is saved.

Rejoice!
Bless that crazy, crazy man.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jexhius said:
You're correct, in that no sane mind can conceive of a rating scale with Glass Fleet on one side and any other show on the other side.
Absolutely, 11 doesn't exist on a 0-10 scale.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I feel like I've seen every anime worth watching. Damn. Gonna try the Xmen series that was recommended to be earlier... I mean... what's the worse that can happen? Ready to see Trigun Badlands, EVA 2.0 and Roberta's Trail, but aside from those movies/OVAs.... I don't have much more. Did start Ginatama... the usual Naruto, Bleach, One Piece... and the GITS Stand Alone Complex series. I am around episode 6th, but the story jumps from arc-based episodes to one shots and that bothers me a bit. Amazing imaginary though. Yet... I want more. MORE MORE MORE. And don't any of you dare recommend to me any moe anime.

This is the third post I've made... but I am really in anime watch mood. =P

Risette

A Good Citizen
Relix said:
I feel like I've seen every anime worth watching. Damn. Gonna try the Xmen series that was recommended to be earlier... I mean... what's the worse that can happen? Ready to see Trigun Badlands, EVA 2.0 and Roberta's Trail, but aside from those movies/OVAs.... I don't have much more. Did start Ginatama... the usual Naruto, Bleach, One Piece... and the GITS Stand Alone Complex series. I am around episode 6th, but the story jumps from arc-based episodes to one shots and that bothers me a bit. Amazing imaginary though. Yet... I want more. MORE MORE MORE. And don't any of you dare recommend to me any moe anime.

Watch Dororon Enma-kun.

trejo

Relix said:

Go watch Madoka.

Dresden

Relix said:

Watch Dororon Enma-Kun.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426702

5QXvQl.jpg

Jex

Relix said:
I feel like I've seen every anime worth watching...
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's pretty unlikely.

I'd recommend something, but I hear some shows are out.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just can't stand that little girl design. Really, just can't. Not that I care what people think but it would be awkward if my sister came over and saw some magical girls doing random stuff. I may give it a chance down the road but as I've stated for a loong time... I don't support in any way the moe shit that destroys anime.

*King of Anti-Moe Defense Force* Fuck yeah!!!!

EDIT: Though admittedly the high reviews in ANN caught my eye. Hmmm

trejo

Relix said:
I just can't stand that little girl design. Really, just can't. Not that I care what people think but it would be awkward if my sister came over and saw some magical girls doing random stuff. I may give it a chance down the road but as I've stated for a loong time... I don't support in any way the moe shit that destroys anime.

Not moe. Seriously. Give it a shot.

Jexhius said:
Once I hit a certain word/picture count I tend to take it elsewhere. Plus, sometimes I want to post full sized images but on NeoGAF I generally resize to 500x or bellow.
Note - lots of spoilers, but I guess we're just spoiling this, assuming people know what happens or something? Or should I spoiler it?

Evangelion 2.22: You Are [Not] Alone - First half of the film - Hmm, I'm not sure what I think... I wasn't sure if I'd like this or not, based on what I'd heard about the movie, and my fears were confirmed when I watched it. Sure, it was mostly good so far, but it had some real problems and I wouldn't say it's better than the series. It's alright, some decent changes and some bad. Mari's not in it much, but seems like maybe a decent character. My main complaint with her addition is that now Shinji has a harem, pretty much. Ugh. Asuka's mostly alright so far, though they don't explain her backstory (and I know some of what comes next), but seem to expect you to know it anyway. Mari gets no backstory explanation at all, she's just there to fight. I know time is limited, but it does leave her shallow. Overall though she's alright, maybe she's an interesting character (if they ever tell her backstory) and she had some good fight scenes. The new aquarium trip bit was kind of good, though. The "cooking contest" aspect was on the lame side though, adding in some generic anime stuff instead of the longer but more interesting Asuka/Rei story of the original series. It shortens things but makes them worse. Rei acting a little more like a human was nice, though ultimately she's still Rei and thus the ultimate in passive obedience.

Second half - So bad, so very bad... it starts out with something like half an hour of fanservice for people who hate Asuka, then gets a little better for a while, and then just gets completely stupid as Shinji makes an emotional 180 in the space of about five seconds (he cares that much about Rei, really?), going from rightly depressed and angry at his father -- on that note, Shinji's reaction to the whole Eva 03 thing, and how mad it made him at his father, was the one and only good thing about that whole section of the film -- it's good motivation for him to want to leave. Of course though, he's male and the main character and the other pilots are (just) girls, so it's not like he'll actually be allowed to go. And so the ridiculous 180 and some ridiculously stupid scenes of very angry Shinji attacking the 10th, and nearly invincible, angel. I laughed some at how bad this part of the movie was... like the most stereotypical anime thing ever, pretty much. On that note, on top of the previous part, they're changing the story quite radically -- that 10th angel was ridiculous, the city's completely destroyed, the NERV base wrecked... quite different from the series. Not better though, just different. Then Kaworu, yet again. He's not a very effective Angel, is he, stopping the Third Impact like that...

But overall that's just the way the movie went, bits and pieces that were nice additions to the franchise, mixed with others so poorly thought through that it leaves me with an overall negative opinion of the movie. It took a few days to force myself to finish the film, after starting it (this is part of why I hadn't posted for a few days I think, I'd wanted to finish this first, but couldn't do it...). It might have been worth watching, I can't entirely decide, but yeah, it has real issues.

Of course though, I did have some issues with the original series as well, so it's not like it's a bad remake of a perfect show or something... each has its own flaws. But the movie's are worse. The fight scenes are better, sure, but otherwise, not as good.

The first movie was just a little bland, because it changed nothing, but this time they probably went too far the other way... at least it's different, sure, but making something different just for the sake of it being different doesn't make sense, you should only make it different if you're actually going to make it better. :)

Jexhius said:
Speaking of posting stuff that one has written here's my spoilerfific Evangelion 2.22 dicussion http://scenesofdespair.tumblr.com/. Mine's only 2499 words though.

Tumblr is stretching my images and I've forgotten how to fix that problem. Hmm.
I know we disagree about some things, but in this I for the most part agree with your criticisms. You don't talk about what you liked about it so I don't know about that side, but for this, I agree with your criticisms, as I said above I'd just got a little farther (though still agreeing that parts of the movie are good). So yeah, I'd mostly just differ in degree -- for instance I'd complain a lot more about Asuka's treatment in the movie, they really wreck her character here and that's a big problem. You say some negative things about it, but I'd be stronger. Beyond that though, yeah, you bring up a lot of good points. I agree that this is a more "conventional"-feeling version of the story, and that that's probably not really a good thing.

But seriously, it ends with the reveal of eyepatch Asuka? No, that's not okay. Of course considering what happened to her during the episode it's not so bad, they really do a good job of ruining her character completely, but still, no, Evangelion does NOT need an eyepatch girl...

... I need to watch something I'll like more...

The Twelve Kingdoms 19 - There we go, this was good. :) So that guy is actually a Kirin, huh? Interesting... I liked this episode, more backstory explaining the world, and an interesting plot too. If they were trying to keep you in suspense about what he actually was it didn't work, as it was pretty predictable, but still, overall, a good episode.

B.K.

Relix said:

There really isn't that much magical girl stuff in Madoka and what there is isn't too bad. I would say it's closer to a shonen show than a magical girl show.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The comments. The reviews....

I mean...

Why the fuck no? If I am scarred by life its your fault GAF!!!!

Dresden

Relix said:

You don't post enough to qualify as the king of anti-moe. Maybe a peasant of the anti-moe federation, but that's about it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dresden said:
You don't post enough to qualify as the king of anti-moe. Maybe a peasant of the anti-moe federation, but that's about it.

You'd never understand my hate for Moe!! I think that automatically makes me King. I can settle to be a Prince though.

Geneijin

Hellsing321 said:
I think its just time to spoil people who are so reluctant to watch Madoka. Its the only way they'll give it a shot.
Just say there's a purpose for the design
as it adds to the dissonance of the true nature of the story.
I don't know why you guys don't simply say that =P

It's up to you Madoka fans to decide.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Relix said:
Madoka and Doronon get! What's the worst that can happen

Wait wtf Madoka has moe girls? Bleh

You sound like the kind of person who would classify cardcaptor sakura as moe.:) or worse something like aria..

Geneijin

Relix said:
You'd never understand my hate for Moe!! I think that automatically makes me King. I can settle to be a Prince though.
Your hate for moe is said in such pleasantries. Compare to others, it's like a sweet musing.

trejo

Relix said:
You can be regent of some remote province but that's about it.

Watch at least up until episode 3. If it doesn't have your attention by that point then it's probably not for you.

Branduil

Stein;.#$@%&*`s Gate 01

That was a very incoherent first half, and I don't mean that in a good way. Why is everybody in this show crazy? Virtually nothing in the first half made sense, and while that's okay for some things in a mystery anime, it's not okay for characters to all act deranged and off their meds.

The second half was much better, mainly because of the otaku character. It says a lot I guess when the fat loser otaku is the most relatable and sane character, but there you go. There was some actual chemistry in these scenes.

Is there going to be an explanation for why the protagonist is delusional and crazy?

iavi

Geneijin said:
Worse but as expected of Shaft?

Song is awesome in a strange way though.

Wow. What the fuck is this? I was hoping that incredible Maria Holic OPs would be a running tradition. Thi--Wait... This is Shaft. The OP probably isn't even finished. Yeah... that's it.

Relix said:
The comments. The reviews....

I mean...

Why the fuck no? If I am scarred by life its your fault GAF!!!!

I ignored Madoka for the longest time because I thought that it was your everyday panderbait. Got told to watch it, figured that I was being trolled, but took the plunge anyway. Ended up coming away pleasantly surprised. My main issue with the show still stems from the fact that it is a show centered around little girls, but it's an enjoyable take on an otherwise repulsive genre.

Dresden

Relix said:
Today you're like this:

3mBWXl.jpg

"Fuck moe!"

The next day you're like this:

izlpUl.jpg

"I approve of young girls doing random things."

Uchip

Banned
Branduil said:
Stein;.#$@%&*`s Gate 01

The second half was much better, mainly because of the otaku character.

NHK ni youkoso is one of my favourite anime for the relatable main character
so much that its scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom