• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
B.K. said:
Damnit... I really really wish they weren't doing the whole motorcycle vanship design... it really takes away an element that made the original great, that whole comrades in arms thing that happens between a pilot and his/her navigator. The lone pilot thing might LOOK cool, but it really opens up weaknesses in the plot.

Plus the design just makes me mad. Single crew Vanships are one thing, but this? THIS? ugh... :(
hrg7f.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
No one's interested in Azazel-san either? The OVA was awesome. I seem too naively optimistic compare to the rest of you.
I'm already following to many good shows as it is, I don't feel like actively digging through all the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.:p (even if there's some potential decent stuff in there)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I dunno, I think I liked OOFURI and some of the eight billion seasons of Major more than actual baseball, personally. But then I kinda hate actual baseball, and kinda enjoy baseball anime.

I oughta watch One Outs one of these days.

I kind of want to watch Major, mostly because the idea of a series that follows the life of a baseball player from like little league all the way to the MLB sounds really awesome.

But then I read about the Asian melodrama (DADDY ISSUES) and I haven't bothered.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, Ookiku Furikabutte and Adachi's stuff are like polar opposites in terms of baseball anime. Both of them are highly enjoyable, however.
Ever since someone mentioned that OoFuri is basically the author's Mary Sue fantasy, I can't shake that out of my head. :lol

zeroshiki

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, Ookiku Furikabutte and Adachi's stuff are like polar opposites in terms of baseball anime. Both of them are highly enjoyable, however.

I like Adachi's formula better. If someone is really that badass a pitcher/hitter, they would definitely dominate the game.

I follow real baseball and I find the "guts" and "heart" crap of Ookiku Furikabutte kinda absurd.

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
those are on the list too. :D

So much good baseball anime and there can't even be one decent track anime? Bastards. (I know, I complained about this like two threads ago. Endless Eight!)

Suzuka is track.

For the most part.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I like Adachi's formula better. If someone is really that badass a pitcher/hitter, they would definitely dominate the game.

I follow real baseball and I find the "guts" and "heart" crap of Ookiku Furikabutte kinda absurd.
I dunno, I find the idea of someone so badass as to change the outcome of the game rather silly. But then again, I don't know much about real baseball. :lol

I suppose I appreciate the flaws of Mihoshi more than the pseudo-flaws of the Adachi protagonists.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Suzuka is track.

For the most part.
Suzuka is also by Seo Kouji. Avoid!

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, I find the idea of someone so badass as to change the outcome of the game rather silly. But then again, I don't know much about real baseball. :lol
If they're so badass that they can make it to the MLB they'll definitely dominate highschool beisbol. That said I haven't watched Oofs so what the hell do I know.

zeroshiki said:

I'm a big baseball fan, too, but I have to say I generally prefer Ookiku Furikabutte. Yeah, Mihashi is kind of a beast in terms of his control, but I really enjoy the way the show gets down into the pitcher/catcher/hitter dynamics and mind games. I think they handle the sport really well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I'm a big baseball fan, too, but I have to say I generally prefer Ookiku Furikabutte. Yeah, Mihashi is kind of a beast in terms of his control, but I really enjoy the way the show gets down into the pitcher/catcher/hitter dynamics and mind games. I think they handle the sport really well.
Well, the author is a sports psychologist and was on her high school's softball team... the coach is basically her in cartoon form.

icarus-daedelus said:
those are on the list too. :D

So much good baseball anime and there can't even be one decent track anime? Bastards. (I know, I complained about this like two threads ago. Endless Eight!)
Cross it off the list!

And what we need is Hockey and Curling anime. People need to adapt those mangas.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I suppose I appreciate the flaws of Mihoshi more than the pseudo-flaws of the Adachi protagonists.

Its realistic. If you've got a pitcher who can throw 160kph, there's no way in hell standard High School players can hit his stuff. It'd be a no hitter every game. And Adachi addresses that.

Dresden said:
Suzuka is also by Seo Kouji. Avoid Watch!

Fixed :p

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Probably. But I find the whole "out think your opponents, stuff is unnecessary" part unrealistic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Its realistic. If you've got a pitcher who can throw 160kph, there's no way in hell standard High School players can hit his stuff. It'd be a no hitter every game. And Adachi addresses that.

Wait, isn't that exactly what happens in Cross Game?

zeroshiki said:
Probably. But I find the whole "out think your opponents, stuff is unnecessary" part unrealistic.

There are a number of Hall of Fame pitchers who would take great exception with that statement. Mihashi is basically Greg Maddux.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Wait, isn't that exactly what happens in Cross Game?

Kou dominates almost everyone. He has little experience, just pure stuff and only has trouble with world class opponents like Azuma and Mishima. Those dudes are supposedly MLB-level as well.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
There are a number of Hall of Fame pitchers who would take great exception with that statement. Mihashi is basically Greg Maddux.

Maddux had great stuff when he was on the Cubs :p And there's a minimum amount of stuff required. Moyer could probably thread a needle still but he sucks really bad now.

Geneijin

Dresden said:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to もし高校野球の女子マネージャーがドラッカーの「マネジメント」を読んだら. It should be kawaii sugoi with lots of Drucker moe~

Tbh I think it has a good chance of just being a preachy CHANGE YOUR WAYS OR DIE JAPAN with high school baseball being a metaphor for the stagnant Nippon business world, but we'll see.
Don't you dare doom Drucker, Dresden.

x7pSj.jpg

Lafiel said:
I'm already following to many good shows as it is, I don't feel like actively digging through all the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.:p (even if there's some potential decent stuff in there)
Edit: I suppose it's best to let others suffer first. =P

jman2050

zeroshiki said:

It is realistic in a sense when your opponents don't even bother scouting you. Later on when teams actually catch on how Mihashi pitches he isn't nearly as successful. And it isn't like Mihashi is some junkballer with zero stuff who's pitching no-hitters, it was established from the start that he's a finesse pitcher, and really good at it. Yeah, perhaps too good but eh, I don't watch high school baseball anyhow. But that is secondary to the ultimate idea that, at the start at least, their opponents didn't prepare properly and couldn't adjust until it was too late. That is absolutely realistic for baseball.

zeroshiki said:
Maddux had great stuff when he was on the Cubs :p And there's a minimum amount of stuff required. Moyer could probably thread a needle still but he sucks really bad now.

Yeah, but Moyer was effective for plenty of years.

Mihashi has decent stuff (and some of his pitches are especially deceptive and hard to track according to opposing hitters), but his greatest strength is his control. There are plenty of pitchers who have gotten by on that.

Besides, he's a high school pitcher, not a professional.

hellclerk

Geneijin said:
Don't you dare doom Drucker, Dresden.

http://i.imgur.com/x7pSj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I find that image to be frankly terrifying... Where are they hiding the whips and chains? D:

I am still curious as to why Suzuka's rage-worthy. I think I heard some things about some NTR stuff (basically cheating for the uninformed), but I never really looked into it.

doomed1 said:
I find that image to be frankly terrifying... Where are they hiding the whips and chains? D:

I am still curious as to why Suzuka's rage-worthy. I think I heard some things about some NTR stuff (basically cheating for the uninformed), but I never really looked into it.

I watched a few episodes and thought it was decent. I should probably get around to watching the rest of it, though.

hellclerk

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I watched a few episodes and thought it was decent. I should probably get around to watching the rest of it, though.
Yeah, well that's the thing about NTR... you usually don't see it coming...

flawfuls

doomed1 said:
Yeah, well that's the thing about NTR... you usually don't see it coming...

I don't recall Suzuka having any of that. When people are talking about NTR and Seo Kouji they are talking about his current manga Kimi no Iru Machi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
I'll never get tired of this song.
Best anime insert song ever!

icarus-daedelus said:
In my mind, there exists an epic curling anime with lots of implied bromance/hoyay, sweat bead internal monologues, and lots of unecessary slowmo to pad things out that is ridiculous and terrible and awesome all at once. PRINCE OF TENNIS ON ICE. (but good this time.)
Ovechkin and Crosby slash fic ahoy?

Geneijin

Hellsing321 said:
You have my attention.
I hope your impressions aren't as cloudy as doomed1's.

firehawk12 said:
This is screaming for an anime spin-off for years now. Why has Japan still not realize this?

Ugh, the insolence makes me want to break off into a song and dance. ^__^

doomed1 said:
Just what are you insinuating? :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
zeroshiki said:
Extremely realistic... A pitcher in High School throwing about 100MPH. >_>

hellclerk

flawfuls said:
I don't recall Suzuka having any of that. When people are talking about NTR and Seo Kouji they are talking about his current manga Kimi no Iru Machi.
Ah, that's probably it. Then why is Suzuka rage worthy?

hellclerk

Hellsing321 said:
Stupid people doing stupid things.
Oh, so basically oblivious morons in love? Eh, alright, I can pass. But I learned a while ago to rage at romance angst in literature is sort of empty. It's better to just put it down.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
doomed1 said:
Oh, so basically oblivious morons in love? Eh, alright, I can pass. But I learned a while ago to rage at romance angst in literature is sort of empty. It's better to just put it down.
No, they are not oblivious actually. They all just turned out to be terrible characters.
Dresden said:
Well, it's possible if they're Dominican or something with a faulty birth certificate.
Like go Eyeshield and say Black muscles!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
This is screaming for an anime spin-off for years now. Why has Japan still not realize this?

Ugh, the insolence makes me want to break off into a song and dance. ^__^
Koume giving us a tour of Taisho era Tokyo through the power of song and dance? Sold!

zeroshiki

shintoki said:
Extremely realistic... A pitcher in High School throwing about 100MPH. >_>

Eh, you have to get past the premise. Assuming there is some Japanese kid out there who throws 160kph, the baseball parts of Cross Game would be realistic because of the dominance he shows. Kou basically throws the ball straight to the catcher and people can't catch up.

H2 showed how the Ace pitcher archetype would be unfair if he actually had control and breaking pitches. (Hiro throws a slider in Koushien that made everyone, even Hideo, look like chumps).

And as for the Oofuri stuff, I guess I need to give it more of a chance. I just really like the Adachi stuff so I chafe when I'm presented with other takes on HS baseball.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Eh, you have to get past the premise. Assuming there is some Japanese kid out there who throws 160kph, the baseball parts of Cross Game would be realistic because of the dominance he shows. Kou basically throws the ball straight to the catcher and people can't catch up.

H2 showed how the Ace pitcher archetype would be unfair if he actually had control and breaking pitches. (Hiro throws a slider in Koushien that made everyone, even Hideo, look like chumps).

And as for the Oofuri stuff, I guess I need to give it more of a chance. I just really like the Adachi stuff so I chafe when I'm presented with other takes on HS baseball.
Oofuri is pure psychology. The whole "baseball is 90% mental" thing. Mihoshi is basically the Shinji of baseball anime.

hellclerk

shintoki said:
No, they are not oblivious actually. They all just turned out to be terrible characters.
So like... everyone's just a dick? Damn, Kouji must be really bitter from his past relationships...

trejo

Dororon Enma-kun 1

So how awesome was this? So awesome.

Season just keeps getting better and better. Surely there must be a catch somewhere.

firehawk12 said:
I haven't even watched the first episode of this show and yet I knew exactly what song this was. So damn catchy.

Jex

trejo said:
It's all about Bagi when it comes to the furry Tezuka lovin'.
Tezuka has no boundaries.
icarus-daedelus said:
So the first episode of Angel Beats! was kinda dumb, kinda seems like they're heading in the direction of wasting any potential interest implied in the premise, but nonetheless it's the most auspicious start yet to a KEY anime.

What am I in for, people? I legitimately know nothing about this one.
You know where you are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom