• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
doomed1 said:
Also, Last Exile I felt was really very good, but there was ONE thing that was really sloppy.

It was basically that every slice of life type moment was TERRIBLY edited and sequenced. The shot selection, the camera pans, the cuts, the sequence choice, and the direction of all the non-combat slice of life and most of the non-combat DURAMA! moments were all just so sloppily done. Hell, even the plot made sense to me (it's actually pretty good and they do well to give you the right clues when controlling perception), it's just that editing and sequencing and non-essential writing, it was just like they let it hang in the breeze. If they had picked that up and handled it as carefully as the rest of the plot, the show could have been a GREAT instead of just a classic.
Slice of life parts? Such as what? I don't remember thinking that, but maybe I didn't notice or don't remember. And as for the noncombat drama, does that count the races? Because those were certainly well done.

Other than that though, I agree. Did you really understand the ending on your first time watching it and without help (looking it up online), though? I do admit I didn't. I liked the ending anyway, what I could understand of it, but I missed some aspects of it because they don't really spell things out, they make you figure them out. It does work though, and as you say the clues are there, it's just somewhat obtuse. I just don't think that that's too much of a problem, particularly compared to how good the show is all around.

This is a bunch of stuff I meant to reply to after finishing Evangelion 2.22. Now I finally have, so I'll respond.
firehawk12 said:
I'm still curious about Osaka Hamlet, simply because I know nothing about it.

Also, Spring 2010 was awesome:

OoFuri S2, Giant Killing, K-On!!, Arakawa 1, Working!!, Mayoi Neko Overrun and for you crazies, Tatami Galaxy.
I didn't watch any of those. Angel Beats definitely made it a good season, though, and I also watched, and at least somewhat liked (varying depending on the show) Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Tairan, Bakatest, Daimao, and The House of Five Leaves that season. Decent season.

But yeah, Summer 2010 was awful, I didn't watch more than three episodes of anything that season, and I even only got that far in one (Occult Academy).

Dance In My Blood said:
I got catgirl, unsurprisingly. Considering how much I dislike dogs, while I quite like cats, I should have...

Jexihus said:
Watching anime is easier than reading though. Sweet passivity.
Watching anime is easier, but reading is better.

firehawk12 said:
That, and I feel like if I do read, I should read grown-up books. :lol
Fantasy novels for adults are more "grown up" than 99.9% of anime.

firehawk12 said:
I thought Ichika was a girl??
What, the ending didn't convince you of his gender? :)

Hey, if Robert Jordan finished his books, then Martin can do it too!
Oh wait.
Yeah, we'd better hope that GRRM stays well for a long time...

Jerk said:
Depends on the show in question.

I would rather a hundred re-reads of Ulysses than re-watch Ergo Proxy.
I am currently having trouble finishing either of them :(
I liked Ergo Proxy. I had some issues with it, but liked it overall. But I can see disliking it for some reasons, sure... what in particular didn't you like?

InfiniteNine said:
We should do a group Kanon 2006 watch!
I started watching it again late last year but stopped somewhere around episode 6 or 7, so I need to watch it anyway... :)

InfiniteNine said:
I'd be completely fine with it!
hosannainexcelsis said:
All this Key hate makes me want to rewatch Kanon 2006 and read Planetarian. The only proper response to hate is love!
Good answers. At least some people haven't gone for the current wave of Key hate...

Geneijin said:
"Instantly agreeable" - not sure why I got a chuckle out of that quote. Probably because I seldom use that definition of the word like that anymore.

If there is one thing I disagree with, it's what you've designated as the primary emotional response when moe-elements are involved. Ayu from Kanon 06 certainly elicits such a response of protectiveness (characteristic of Key anime characters to get that out of the way), but that's a subset of the moe element, not its primary function. Adoration would be more befitting considering love has various manifestations from friendship and camaraderie to kinship and brotherhood. I guess you could argue moe is primarily a feeling of protectiveness, but it doesn't rightfully denote the subjective quality of what is moe.

Take for example Japan's moe heroines of Winter 2011 (Source):

Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos) - 740 (28.7%)
Victorique (Gosick) - 405 (15.7%)
Homura (Madoka Magica) - 306 (11.9%)

Which heroine exudes that feeling of moe which you've described as the primary emotional response in your paper?

Ah, whatever. Nice read!
I'm going to guess that the definition of "moe" and how it's applied (among Western anime fans at least) might be somewhat different, apparently that "protect" thing is supposed to be important for moe characters, and ones that are too strong and independent aren't moe, but I've often just thought of it as being a kind of cute, not about protection. I mean, "protect" certainly isn't the first thing I'd think of about Ayu for example.

As for those three, the most moe... um, Victorique I guess? She's only like that some of the time, other times she's strong and awesome (figuring out crime with no problem, occasionally helping out in a fight, etc) but when she is she's definitely moe.

Regardless of definitions like that one though, I probably agree more with you about the definition.

Oh, as far as defining moe goes, how about Ultimate Girls (I think that was the series), where the m.o.e. system that runs the girls' super suit(s) (they make them gigantic, to fight the attacking aliens or whoever they were) is powered by how embarrassed they are about the fact that said suits disintegrate as they fight? The more embarrassed they are, the more power they get to beat the enemy with. That's more about "cute" than "protect" probably...

firehawk12 said:
Also, watching the last episode of Kampfer (I hate myself) again in preparation for the OVA/TV whatever thing tomorrow made me realize that a gimmick for a lot of comedy adaptations seems to be to have a fucked up, completely unrelated finale episode.

I guess that solves the problem of needing to come up with a conclusion and leave it open for a potential sequel anyway.
Do you mean the last regular episode, or that silly 'puppets' or whatever comedy episode that was released later? I guess you mean the last regular episode, and yeah, it definitely had no ending... would have been very frustrating, if it had never continued. That silly followup episode certainly didn't reference the plot at all pretty much. It's fortunate that it is continuing, now all I'm wondering is whether it'll get anywhere plotwise, or be fanservice/harem-centric again...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
so dororon is considered a good show right?
i mean it was entertaining, but one of the best this season?
It's actually a pretty big compliment, considering how good everything else has been this season!

Branduil

Poop is also useful as it takes waste products out of our body. Pooping is a necessary and healthy process for all human beings. Arguably, Strike Witches is more like eating an entire stick of deep-fried butter coated in lard.

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
It's actually a pretty big compliment, considering how good everything else has been this season!

I must really have grown tired of anime humor :(
it was funny when it wasn't trying so hard to be funny though
the use of exaggerated head size and intentionally cheesey animation reminds me of sitcoms telling you when to laugh with canned laugh tracks
eugh
someone save me

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
I'm generally not a fan of the type of humor dororon utilizes, but i thought it was extremely well executed and less awkward then what i usually expect.

Branduil

Uchip said:
Well it's from the 70's so I guess, like, it was less tired back then. It wasn't bad, I just feel like I've pretty much watched the show by watching one episode.

Dresden

It could always throw a curveball with a grim ending to the story.

O4mTtl.jpg

There's something suspicious about that ED. Of course maybe the original Enma-kun was like that.

Uchip

Banned
Branduil said:
Well it's from the 70's so I guess, like, it was less tired back then. It wasn't bad, I just feel like I've pretty much watched the show by watching one episode.

watching old school tezuka animation
they didnt have any of that shit and that was 60s
wtf happened in that 10 years

random search for "anime humor" came up with this
its like its screaming "laugh now! this part is humorous!"

Uchip said:
the use of exaggerated head size and intentionally cheesey animation reminds me of sitcoms telling you when to laugh with canned laugh tracks
eugh
someone save me

I'm not even watching it to laugh.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Not watching it for that either. Watching it for the hot-blooded badassery. It is from the Gaogaigar dude afterall.
The pervy stuff is definitely a big part of it, but Enma busting out the hammer makes it worth it.

Jintor

I'm inclined to concur, but it's been many moons since I saw Cardcaptor Sakura

Anyway, should I watch anime Bakuman or read manga Bakuman? I just picked up the first volume and I'm not totally in love with the manga, but it's decent enough. Is the anime super awesome and I should switch to that instead?

Dresden said:
The pervy stuff is definitely a big part of it, but Enma busting out the hammer makes it worth it.

Pervy stuff is a funny bonus for me, but not my main reason for watching. A lot of people look at over the top stuff as something to laugh at, but I look at it as something to say "fuck yeah" to.

Geneijin

Uchip said:
watching old school tezuka animation
they didnt have any of that shit and that was 60s
wtf happened in that 10 years

random search for "anime humor" came up with this
its like its screaming "laugh now! this part is humorous!"
Did you just insult Ouran High School Host Club?

Jintor said:
I'm inclined to concur, but it's been many moons since I saw Cardcaptor Sakura

Anyway, should I watch anime Bakuman or read manga Bakuman? I just picked up the first volume and I'm not totally in love with the manga, but it's decent enough. Is the anime super awesome and I should switch to that instead?

Anime ends prematurely.

Edit: Oh wait, there's another season in October. You'd still have to wait a while though.

Uchip

Banned
trejo said:
Link plz.

Now why would you do that?

I dont have the link
I accidentally the clear history button in my excitement

because ive never seen it and said yes because I wanted to see the reaction

iavi

Sket Dance 01

A likable cast, surprisingly solid production values, and interesting twist made for a pretty impressive first ep. I would normally run to read the manga in these cases, but the anime actually does it all damn well, so I'll stick with it.

The humor was very hit and miss though.

Soma

Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera

I dunno I felt like I was missing something. I thought it was alright but not great. There were some good bits I guess though.

I'll keep watching it either way.

Geneijin

Uchip said:
Then whatever you mean by "anime humor" might not be for you at all anymore. If you were complaining about a specific series for being unfunny to you, I would understand the complaint - the jokes don't resonate, execution was horrid, etc - but the blanket statements you've been making are simply ignorant and annoying. If it's your shtick, fine.

Uchip

Banned
Geneijin said:
Then whatever you mean by "anime humor" might not be for you at all anymore. If you were complaining about a specific series for being unfunny to you, I would understand the complaint - the jokes don't resonate, execution was horrid, etc - but the blanket statements you've been making are simply ignorant and annoying. If it's your shtick, fine.

scroll up

Go_Ly_Dow

zeroshiki said:
Wait wait, where did you watch this? There's a copy of this out? I've been waiting for this for months! Gakky~~~

EDIT: FOUND IT! I forgot the DVD was coming out this month >_<

Also, you guys are nuts. This is the first time I woke up to find that the page has moved this much. Its usually slower around this time.

Woops I missed your post last night.

Let me if you also feel strong 5cm vibes from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom