• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Exile Fam trailer -- the first few seconds reminded me of how great Last Exile was, it was a good idea to include that part... :) As for this show though, we'll see. I'm not expecting that just because the original season was good that this one definitely will be as well. I'm hoping it will be, but we'll see. :)

Geneijin said:
Must have been the mecha musume fans.
There are that many of them? I guess there must be, because why else would you actually buy it for the kind of price they charge?

firehawk12 said:
Might as well watch the ending anyway!
You mean the ending's good, I hope?

mAcOdIn said:
Lol, I think these things lose their purpose weeks later. I was saying that while I'd make fun of some lame panty fan service that I'd get a reply back stating how it's perfectly valid fan service because underwear has a special meaning and you'd take the explanation all the way back to the Edo period, as you're wont to do. It was a joke.
Yeah, I knew you'd said that in some context like that that I couldn't quite remember, but wasn't going to go searching through many pages of this thread to find it... I think it works either way, though.

One day I'm going to fix your tastes, I swear this to you, I will fix you somehow, someway.
What, and make me hate most anime? If I did that, I doubt I'd keep watching much of it... there's already enough things about anime to dislike as it is.

It's like I'm being nagged, lol.
What, I can't imagine why you'd say that... oh right, because you have said you dislike every single show this season, as far as I know? Right. That's probably why. :)

Pretty much, I actually like Kyon but he can't carry a series by himself so I was hoping that there'd be some character growth among the cast to make the series more enjoyable, aside from Nagato ditching the glasses and wanting to fuck with some computers every once in a while and Haruhi throwing a blanket over Kyon there was none so I wrote the series off.
So we agree that it's frustrating that the series has no progression, and that that hurts the series a good amount, but not on much beyond that.

IS
It was either genetics, some type of magic/soul shit or the carrot girl designed the "bottom" part of the robot that goes near the crotch in such a manner it crushes a guy's balls, I can see the last thing not being a problem for Ichika though.
Yeah, I guess so (that there had to be an explanation). I didn't think about it and probably just assumed that it'd be something stupid. I mean, it was surely done for the sake of providing him with a large harem, after all... but yeah, that they actually have some sort of an explanation is better than nothing.

What I mean is it was always inconsistent with the characters so to pick a single instance of it happening is kinda missing the point.
I believe I mentioned many such events throughout the series, so suddenly stopping at the end would be inconsistent... I know the series does it a lot and said so, but it bothers me so why not mention it anyway?

I know you're actually anxiously awaiting it.
I'd probably be happier if they never made anything more from the franchise (it is far too bad to deserve sales that good...), but if they do I probably won't be able to resist watching...

Last Exile
I just have to disagree with that.
Last Exile was a fairly popular show, it's not just me who thinks you're wrong about it...

Everything in the present, the present almost made sense it's the past that makes no sense and since the past makes no sense in a way neither does their present.
That's just not true though.

But that's the thing, their new leadership didn't want peace. Did the old king die the day after the treaty failed to make it across? It's just silly. Because of how screwed up the past was the present became silly. For instance they were pretty much always against Guild from the start yet Guild didn't really become the bad guys until the two sides made peace and tried to work together but since that happens so late in the series the conflict is pretty much because Alex was mad and wanted revenge because the Queen was a bitch. They also did a poor job with the other side, who seemingly never pushed for peace and during the first battle we were shown basically cheated but by the end they're trying to paint them as equals but when it comes to the Guild they basically are ready to commit genocide. And I know it's partly because it's an anime but it really gets silly when they basically shoehorn ways to let the kid handle super important tasks into the story just so it can also be some coming of age story like that stupid ending where they're basically doing a relay.
Well first, when did Disith's environmental collapse start? If it was relatively recent, that'd explain why they have no interest in peace now...

And as for the Guild, remember that they forced (using behind the scenes means I guess) the two sides to fight regularly, to keep the planet from developing much so that it wouldn't run out of resorces... once both sides realized that and that there was another option of course they're going to work together. But really, you just don't make sense when you blame it all on Alex disliking the Queen. I don't clearly remember it, so I could be wrong about some things, First, she was horrible and deserved his dislike, both for personal and policy reasons. And second, maybe that helped start it, but the more he learned about the Guild clearly the more he disliked them, with all the wars they cause and all... oh, and looking it up on Wikipedia, he blames her for his fiancee's death. That seems like a solid reason to me, to start it off.

So he did.
Yes, and I'm sure he learned things from him,

No, it wasn't confusing it was convoluted garbage that you can't 100% understand without some kind of wiki. You can get the gist, who lives, who dies and you get a sense of the political structure at the end along with who goes with who but it was typical Gonzo nonsense.
It explains everything you need to know just well enough for you to be able to follow it if you pay attention and maybe watch it again. It's a complex world and the story is complicated, there's nothing wrong with some complexity sometimes as long as it's done well. It is here.

Characters that are last seen doing something that should have resulted in their deaths show up alive at the end, cough
the musketeer and Dio
, lots of flashy unexplained shit and then the little wrap up that I'm supposed to pretend was done competently.
I thought Dio dies... looking it up on Wikipedia I guess there were a few hints that maybe he lived, but I don't think it's entirely confirmed. The musketeer guy living was a little surprising though, it did seem like he'd died until he shows up in that scene. I didn't mind too much, why not have a happy ending for them, but it was a little annoying that they tried to convince us that he'd died, and then bring him back like that. Oh well, minor point.

As for the rest of the ending, I did say that I wished they'd been a little clearer about a couple of things (
whether they go to another planet, etc.
), and it wasn't the best thing about the show, but it explained what happened and it provided a conclusive ending, which puts it well above lots of anime endings. Obviously though if you didn't like the characters and story you weren't going to like it, but I and many other people did like the story and characters, so that wasn't an issue.

I just asked my Windows 7 partition to take me back, she did and I have sound, I'll never stray again.
I dislike some Microsoft programs -- I can't stand Word (I use Wordperfect instead) and never use IE (I use Firefox and/or Seamonkey) -- but Windows I know and like well enough to not want to switch to Linux (Apple I quite dislike). And plus, I like computer games, and those are on Windows.

I've used Linux a little, but it's more complex and doesn't really seem that much better, so it doesn't seem worth the hassle it'd be to really learn...

I do like some of the less popular Windows versions, though. My older computer (from fall '01, still working) runs WinME, and my newer one (a few years old now) has Vista, and I think both are decent OSes... I never regretted not upgrading that older computer from ME to XP.

Solune

Uchip said:
holy crap people
I already explained this
JV2ru.gif

Enma-kun 1
Was ok, not as funny as it was trying to be but I got a couple of chuckles and I actually generally enjoy monster of the week stuff so I'll stick with it.

Go_Ly_Dow

InfiniteNine said:
I think Okabe could be onto something with his Dr.Pepper obsession. Just drank one and it's wonderful.

How many years did it take you to try the stuff?

This post is proof that animu can spread wisdom throughout this world.

Jex

Jintor said:
Anyway, should I watch anime Bakuman or read manga Bakuman? I just picked up the first volume and I'm not totally in love with the manga, but it's decent enough. Is the anime super awesome and I should switch to that instead?
Manga, being the work of unique auteurs, are always superior to their anime adaptations. Having a team of people work on project distils authorial intent and leads to a less-than-accurate representation of the original text. Not to mention the problem of animation and designs failing to live up to the original work, coupled with changes to pacing and scene order.

duckroll

Dresden said:
It could always throw a curveball with a grim ending to the story.

http://i.imgur.com/O4mTtl.jpg

There's something suspicious about that ED. Of course maybe the original Enma-kun was like that.

Brains Base already did that. They animated the serious sequel to Enma-kun as an OVA a few years ago. That's the one where everyone is grown up, it's much darker, and basically everyone fucking dies. I'm pretty sure many of the grimdark scenes of Enma and Yukiko in the OP and the ED are references to stuff from that, except with cute SD Enma-kun designs this time.

Uchip

Banned
Geneijin said:
If I did, I wouldn't have to explain that the quotations I used were an emphasis on your individual definition of "anime humor."

I know what you were doing
Just have no interest in arguing with you
at all :)

Kampfer - Fur die Liebe OVA 1 - fanserviceharemantics fanserviceharemantics fanserviceharemantics end.

Unfortunately, no plot of note and no fighting. Just lots of fanservice and the other girls trying to get with Natsuru (as either gender, everyone's in love with his female form and the four girls in the harem love his male form), and because it's an OVA and not on TV they can, and do, go farther with the sexual humor. For a Kampfer fanservice episode it was decent, but hopefully the next one has some substance. I'm not expecting it really, now... permanent cliffhanger unless you read the light novels?

Also, apparently Sakura has a harem too -- her minions (the four girls on her team) are her harem, pretty much. Huh.

Jintor

Jexhius said:
Manga, being the work of unique auteurs, are always superior to their anime adaptations. Having a team of people work on project distils authorial intent and leads to a less-than-accurate representation of the original text. Not to mention the problem of animation and designs failing to live up to the original work, coupled with changes to pacing and scene order.

Is this actual opinion or a quote from the show? :D

Jex

Jintor said:
Is this actual opinion or a quote from the show? :D
I seem to be getting good at this.

Most opinions I've read here and elsewhere say the manga is superior.

Oh, sweet, Persona 4 is here.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
I'm going to guess that the definition of "moe" and how it's applied (among Western anime fans at least) might be somewhat different, apparently that "protect" thing is supposed to be important for moe characters, and ones that are too strong and independent aren't moe, but I've often just thought of it as being a kind of cute, not about protection. I mean, "protect" certainly isn't the first thing I'd think of about Ayu for example.
Cuteness can be a moe-element as well as protectiveness. But moe holds varying connotations depending on the recipient of it. You may not think Ayu exudes a protective moe-element, but there might be others who do (which there are). It's very much possible a character like Ayu portrays many moe-elements, and each consumer of it selectively chooses what is their moe. Generally, Key animes exemplify this specific moe-element - Kanon 2006 being a prominent example. Vulnerability and innocence help generate such a specific response and can be used to manipulate the emotions of those unsuspecting or knowing. Hence, the tragic moe jokes of Key animes if you remember.

If moe were simply an extension of kawaii in Japanese, then what's the purpose of the word moe? I initially thought moe was similar to cute too, but it doesn't adequately explain what is moe when certain mannerisms or clothing also elicited reactions of moe to others.

As for those three, the most moe... um, Victorique I guess? She's only like that some of the time, other times she's strong and awesome (figuring out crime with no problem, occasionally helping out in a fight, etc) but when she is she's definitely moe.
I'm still undecided if arousal is a possible moe-element; but if it was, then a woman who's strong isn't an exception to what is moe. Ikkitousen was an example of this when I discussed the possibility with others, but I still couldn't convince myself of it.

Regardless of definitions like that one though, I probably agree more with you about the definition.
To be or not to be. What is moe?

Oh, as far as defining moe goes, how about Ultimate Girls (I think that was the series), where the m.o.e. system that runs the girls' super suit(s) (they make them gigantic, to fight the attacking aliens or whoever they were) is powered by how embarrassed they are about the fact that said suits disintegrate as they fight? The more embarrassed they are, the more power they get to beat the enemy with. That's more about "cute" than "protect" probably...
Haven't seen it. But I'll check it out.

Jex

"When I went out on my business today,
I tried to imagine Asuka sitting next to me on the bus and we both were having imaginary conversations in my head.
Not an easy task actually, because
my imagination has already been badly damaged thanks to adolescence,
and I didn’t know in which language I should think. My Japanese is alright but is still light years away from fluent, the only German that I know is “this is X”, “you are Y” but mostly swearing, and
I can’t imagine Asuka speaking English, let alone Hebrew.
Thinking about it, I’m kind of envious of people who are in close contact with seiyuu Yuko Miyamura.
Talking to her on the phone is the closest I’ll ever get to having a real conversation with Asuka.
No I’m not on medication, and I’ll never accept any."

Steroyd

InfiniteNine said:
I think Okabe could be onto something with his Dr.Pepper obsession. Just drank one and it's wonderful.

DrPepper love being spread makes the heart flutter, I've averaged 1 per day since July 1998... I'm not obsessed or addicted really I'm not. o_O

Uchip

Banned
Jexhius said:
I tried to imagine Asuka sitting next to me on the bus and we both were having imaginary conversations in my head.
and I didn’t know in which language I should think. My Japanese is alright but is still light years away from fluent, the only German that I know is “this is X”, “you are Y” but mostly swearing, and
Thinking about it, I’m kind of envious of people who are in close contact with seiyuu Yuko Miyamura.
Talking to her on the phone is the closest I’ll ever get to having a real conversation with Asuka.

???

Geneijin

Uchip said:
Then why the trollish responses? This one as well.

My intent wasn't to change your opinion, merely to question it. And if you're unwilling to defend your accusations, then tone them down. I have no problem if they're in jest, but some have reeked of obnoxiousness.

That's what's left I have to say to settle the matters for myself.

Articalys

Jexhius said:
Ruining Jexhius's mystery, one link at a time.

http://animesos.tumblr.com/post/4463211348

And the original original source:
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=440768&sid=a2d2288cf1771aa9a1c175e5423a18d8#440768

I googled the last line and got the tumblr link, this topic, and the evageeks link, in that order.

Uchip

Banned
Geneijin said:
Then why the trollish responses? This one as well.

My intent wasn't to change your opinion, merely to question it. And if you're unwilling to defend your accusations, then tone them down. I have no problem if they're in jest, but some have reeked of obnoxiousness.

That's what's left I have to say to settle the matters for myself.

nah
all ive seen is "your opinion sucks" and "im adding you to the list"
nobody has genuinely questioned anything ive posted, merely responding with snide remarks because they disagree with me.

This is a message board, im allowed to voice my opinion about anything i want, i never accused you of anything or called you names and if you think im stirring shit then its ALL you!

Anime is one of the few things i still enjoy in life. Ive been too sick to work or study for the last 5 years and had to give up my dancing goals while still being able to watch anime and play videogames ever since 15 years ago. So I feel I have the right to make harmless generalizations about the medium/culture without people getting in my face.

Before today, I somehow never noticed this thread or heard of Crunchyroll...

glares at I9

I like you. You die last.

Sooo, seriously, as a guy who hasn't really watched anime other than the occasional episode of Cowboy Bebop or Inyasha on Adult Swim since around 2000 or so, what's good? I get the feeling I have a lot of catching up to do. ;p

Uchip

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
Before today, I somehow never noticed this thread or have heard of Crunchyroll...

glares at I9

Sooo, seriously, as a guy who hasn't really watched anime other than the occasional episode of Cowboy Bebop or Inyasha on Adult Swim since around 2000 or so, what's good? I get the feeling I have a lot of catching up to do. ;p

depends entirely on what your definition of good is
what are you into

Uchip said:
depends entirely on what your definition of good is
what are you into

Meh, the above mentioned, Ghost in the Shell. Sci-fi and fantasy are preferred but I'll watch anything really, I'm not too picky.

Uchip

Banned
you would probably like Hellsing Ultimate
the episodes are almost an hour long each and there are only 7? so far

Jex

Lonewolf_92 said:
Well, lots of things are good. Considering there isn't anything like Cowboy Bebop you can either give a list of the shows you've encountered or just go and track down the most well liked/most popular works as a starting position.

Steroyd

Uchip said:
nah
nobody has genuinely questioned anything ive posted, merely responding with snide remarks because they disagree with me.

This is a message board, im allowed to voice my opinion about anything i want, i never accused you of anything or called you names and if you think im stirring shit then its ALL you!

Anime is one of the few things i still enjoy in life. Ive been too sick to work or study for the last 5 years and had to give up my dancing goals while still being able to watch anime and play videogames ever since 15 years ago. So I feel I have the right to make harmless generalizations about the medium/culture without people getting in my face.

Your generalisations are too broad, and a bit blindsighted at that, for example.

Uchip said:
watching old school tezuka animation
they didnt have any of that shit and that was 60s
wtf happened in that 10 years

random search for "anime humor" came up with this
its like its screaming "laugh now! this part is humorous!"

This post makes it seem like you're judging the anime humour in Ouran from this screenshot alone, it's too vague and the only reaction I can have to this post is the shaking of my head, hence why you usually get similar replies in the vain of "your opinion sucks" and "im adding you to the list".

Hakkuei

Lonewolf_92 said:
Meh, the above mentioned, Ghost in the Shell. Sci-fi and fantasy are preferred but I'll watch anything really, I'm not too picky.
Watch Planetes then, it's the best "realistic" sci-fi anime ever.
And since you mention it, why don't you watch Cowboy Bebop in its entirety, and the usuals like Samurai Champloo, Baccano!, Beck, Hajime no Ippo... start with that.

Steroyd

Lonewolf_92 said:

Browsing this thread made me realise almost no-one mentions Trigun. :(

Uchip

Banned
Steroyd said:
Your generalisations are too broad, and a bit blindsighted at that, for example.

This post makes it seem like you're judging the anime humour in Ouran from this screenshot alone, it's too vague and the only reaction I can have to this post is the shaking of my head, hence why you usually get similar replies in the vain of "your opinion sucks" and "im adding you to the list".

again it was just a random example from a google image search that fits the description of cartoony exaggeration which i find, more often than not, actually takes away from the comedy.
are you going to actually tell me how im being blindsighted or just continue to prove my point?

Jintor

Steroyd said:
Browsing this thread made me realise almost no-one mentions Trigun. :(

I have mixed feelings about Trigun. I liked it for the most part but I think I preferred the comedic elements to the srs elements.

Swag

Lonewolf_92 said:
Before today, I somehow never noticed this thread or heard of Crunchyroll...

glares at I9

School Days

Geneijin

Uchip said:
nah

Never claimed you were stirring shit. Poor choice of words on my behalf then if obnoxiousness ticked you off. I just found your generalization disagreeable. You said you disliked anime humor right? Well, that's a very broad term. Each person's definition of it can vary significantly, which was why I felt the need to emphasize it in quotations when I responded because it's solely your definition of whatever it meant. It could mean anything from characters transforming to chibi-sized versions of themselves to facial expressions, which was why I said you might not like "anime humor" - whatever your definition of it was - anymore.

And then you said scroll up because you thought I didn't read your past posts, which I did.

And this is what I found:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007155&postcount=6503
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007184&postcount=6507
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007204&postcount=6508

But what's "intentionally cheesey animation?" That's as broad as whatever "anime humor" means to you. So if I were to recite your definition of "anime humor," it would include "intentionally cheesey animation." See the problem? It's still broad and vague, and I would have to ask you to specify what you meant by that too.

But you know what, it's my fault for taking offense to the "scroll up" comment. Otherwise, my retort would have been different than this.

And you know why I felt compelled to respond in such a way?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007354&postcount=6529
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007363&postcount=6532
because ive never seen it and said yes because I wanted to see the reaction

Your following response read similarly in attitude.

So I responded in kind, yet you responded similarly again.

And again, I responded with a similar retaliatory remark, but you wanted to end it, which was alright. However, the way you worded your reply was still provoking.

Uchip said:
So we went back and forth a few times, you delayed a blunt response to stop the argument, and you ended your response like that? Do you not see how such a format would appear trollish when I asked you about your responses so far? You're emphasizing you didn't want to bother talking "at all" with the separation. That's how I read it. But I still never said you were stirring shit. I was attacking your blanket statements, which neither you asked or I stated specifically what they were unless you assumed all statements you've made so far were blanket statements.

And here I am responding to your reply to my last post. I don't mind the remarks in jest. Everyone has made a comment in jest more or less here before. But there's no tact in your response when you make such generalizations, and they stand out even more when they're a offhand comment that's far too broad. WAY TOO BROAD.

Uchip said:
I also rewatched it
the anime humor is more noticable than ever D:
seriously, japanese should stick to action and drama
leave the comedy to western animators
That's why I wish you tone down your statements because of statements like that.

Uchip

Banned
Geneijin said:

see i was guessing that you would make the very basic inference that you knew what i was talking about and in that sense did not expect you to take offense.
why would you even be offended if I find western animation more consistently funny?
obviously anime is serious business if you get riled up on such trivial jest so maybe you should chill out or give your life story on why you care so much.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
They are selling cute support Miku nendodroids with the proceeds going towards the earthquake~! They are actually taking overseas orders for this so easy buying for English speaking peoples.
http://goodsmile.ecq.sc/charity/gcp101.html
gBnjVl.jpg

I don't really like nendodroids, but I'll grab one since it's for a good cause.
I saw that on Facebook. So cute~

A Black Falcon said:
Kampfer - Fur die Liebe OVA 1 - fanserviceharemantics fanserviceharemantics fanserviceharemantics end.

Unfortunately, no plot of note and no fighting. Just lots of fanservice and the other girls trying to get with Natsuru (as either gender, everyone's in love with his female form and the four girls in the harem love his male form), and because it's an OVA and not on TV they can, and do, go farther with the sexual humor. For a Kampfer fanservice episode it was decent, but hopefully the next one has some substance. I'm not expecting it really, now... permanent cliffhanger unless you read the light novels?
I like the fanservice episodes more than when they try to get plot out of the way. Much more enjoyable.

A Black Falcon said:
Also, apparently Sakura has a harem too -- her minions (the four girls on her team) are her harem, pretty much. Huh.
Pretty sure this was established at some point during the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom