• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
That's not a bad thing.
It is when your characters are as flat and boring as the plot. I mean a predictable plot is one thing, but when the characters are written so stiffly and blatantly, the plot development becomes boring and I wonder when the next fight scene will be to break up the monotony of the "OMG, BEING A MAHOU SHOUJO IS HARD DESU NEE~".

That's why I put Kyubey as the best character since he's apparently more than what meets the eye. Still, one trickster doesn't make up for a whole cast with Anime Protagonist Syndrome(tm) and a plot that's pretty much a grimdark themed "subversive" stock magical girl show

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
Also Kore wa Zombie desu ka? 12 how boring, seriously, despite no baddies or anything this episode it was totally dull, a terrible send off.
If you watched 12 episodes of that show you got what you deserved!

Dresden

Jexhius said:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger and all that. I'm certainly a better person than I was before after slogging through Index II and Infinite Stratos.

And Ojisan no Lamp seems to be out--that 'young animator training project' thingamajig.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Negative sir, I was sold a childlishy amusing show with giant sea monsters attacking a male-zombie-magical girl and instead got whatever the fuck it ended as.
icarus-daedelus said:
It is! Haha, no, definitely save the movie for last. It makes little sense otherwise and you kind of have to be a fan of the series going in, besides it kinda spoiling certain things from the show. You may not like it even then, as I know some fans of the series don't. I watched the movie first and it really had to grow on me, though I love it now.

And I believe it was leaked that TRSI was rereleasing the movie as well, though they haven't officially announced it yet iirc.
Then I'll wait, patience is the one thing I have in spades.
icarus-daedelus said:
Well, you could always give her a (reverse) harem. Having watched all of that Infinite Stratos, you should know all the rules of the genre by now.
Rules? The genre has rules? I could translate the Rosetta Stone faster than I could unravel the workings of harems.
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh my god, I had no idea. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of shows anime distributors will choose to release while we're sitting here still waiting for bloody Spice & Wolf season 2 dvds. I'll definitely be watching it that way now that I know!
I tell myself it's because they want to put so much effort into season 2 of Spice and Wolf that they're waiting for all their English VAs to be free to do the next season, not that I care about Spice and Wolf dubbed but it makes me feel a little better if that's their reasoning.

Also, I think the shit they license from Gonzo costs them about nothing to license and with shitty Gonzo shows there's probably little pressure to get good English VAs so they can probably crap them out a week after the ink dries from the deal. Funimation does have a few gems but they also have essentially every damn modern Gonzo release, shit must be cheaper to license than a meal at Red Lobster.
icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, I'd agree, I wouldn't scoff at anyone for enjoying them, they're just pretty mediocre for the most part.
But I don't think it's because of Key nor KyoAni, the format is just kind of not suited for television.

mAcOdIn said:
Rules? The genre has rules? I could translate the Rosetta Stone faster than I could unravel the workings of harems.

You're trying to understand something that no man should ever want to understand.

Once it makes sense to you, you become one of them.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
It is when your characters are as flat and boring as the plot. I mean a predictable plot is one thing, but when the characters are written so stiffly and blatantly, the plot development becomes boring and I wonder when the next fight scene will be to break up the monotony of the "OMG, BEING A MAHOU SHOUJO IS HARD DESU NEE~".

You're gonna have to be more specific.

Also it's "being meguca is suffering", get it right!

That's why I put Kyubey as the best character since he's apparently more than what meets the eye. Still, one trickster doesn't make up for a whole cast with Anime Protagonist Syndrome(tm) and a plot that's pretty much a grimdark themed "subversive" stock magical girl show

It's funny because I don't think the show is nearly grimdark enough to actually qualify as grimdark.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Unknown Soldier said:
The Place Promised in Our Early Days is better.

I just watched this recently and didn't care for it much either... Better than 5cm, but still boring as fuck IMO. The backgrounds were godly though! But a pretty stereotypical boy saves girl story.... the only thing that held my attention was the plane they were building, and eventually used.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
You're gonna have to be more specific.

Also it's "being meguca is suffering", get it right!
The characters, from Madoka to Mami, are very played out, hard stereotypes. they're OVERplayed. It's oppressive how pigeonholed the characters are. It's boring to follow their non-progression. There is almost no variation in their archetype, and I say "almost" because I haven't seen the whole thing yet. The show is pretty much stock standard in everything but visual and sound design.

It's funny because I don't think the show is nearly grimdark enough to actually qualify as grimdark.
Which is why I say "grimdark theme" and not actually grimdark.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
The characters, from Madoka to Mami, are very played out, hard stereotypes. they're OVERplayed. It's oppressive how pigeonholed the characters are. It's boring to follow their non-progression. There is almost no variation in their archetype, and I say "almost" because I haven't seen the whole thing yet. The show is pretty much stock standard in everything but visual and sound design.

Which is why I say "grimdark theme" and not actually grimdark.

They're stock character types, to be sure; that's necessary for the main conceit to work. But I don't think they're nearly as bad as you portray. No one's going to mistake Madoka for a character study, but that's not necessary in this case. The character types are nuanced enough for what they are, and claiming they have no progression is simply blatantly untrue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The last two Kimi ni Todoke episodes were lovely. 11 was extremely manic, at least in terms of the directing found throughout the rest of the series, and there was a lot of chibi-Sawako.

12 just finished with the strong framing and scene work found throughout the series.
Zmz5Il.jpg

This one is obvious, of course.

Shtull.jpg

Then you have this one, where the white space creates a vacuum that brings the three characters together for that moment.

yw5d7l.jpg

And, of course, the shoujo freeze frame money shot.

I'm a bit disappointed that they weren't able to get to some of the sillier moments of the relationship - namely Daddy meeting Kazehaya, but where they ended it was perfectly fine.

The real question is - where will I get my classy shoujo romance fix now?

jman2050

doomed1 said:

I'm going to have to ask again to be more specific. I want to properly respond but I still don't have a clear idea on what I need to respond to. I mean the characters each fall into particular archetypes but I neither think this is a bad thing nor do I think the characters don't "progress", though obviously that depends on just what you mean by that very vague term.

I'm just curious as to how your thought process works becuase my biggest fear right now is that you're just another 7th and if that ends up being the case then I need to cut this argument short ASAP.

Jex

Branduil said:
They're stock character types, to be sure; that's necessary for the main conceit to work. But I don't think they're nearly as bad as you portray. No one's going to mistake Madoka for a character study, but that's not necessary in this case. The character types are nuanced enough for what they are, and claiming they have no progression is simply blatantly untrue.
I know that I've personally complained about the characters in the past, but they're far from awful.

This is especially clear after coming off Gungrave. Yikes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level-E 12: I think this should be interesting, but the execution isn't really that interesting.

It's weird how this show has been full of ugly CG stuff, but for this episode we actually see an animated machine and (shockingly) an animated car. Weird.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Lets see...

Steins;Gate: Trial Run
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji Hakairoku-hen: Fuck yeah.
Lotte no Omocha!: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH..no
Maria+Holic: Alive!: no
Moshidora! Trail Run
A Channel: garbage
The World God Only Knows II: Felt stale after the first few episodes...no
Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera: no
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: Trial Run
SKET DANCE: no
Gintama: no
Deadman Wonderland: Trail Run
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko: no
Hyouge Mono: no
Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san: no
Ano Hana: Trial Run
Appleseed XIII: Yes!
Showa Monogatari: no
Ao no Exorcist: Trial Run
Toriko: no
TIGER & BUNNY: Trial Run
Hanasaku: no
Fireball Charming: no
Sofuteni: zzzz
Hidan no Aria: Rather pound nails in my dick
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai: no
Hen Zemi: no
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku no
Dog Days: They dont even try anymore! no
Tono to Issho Season 2: no
Sengoku Otome: no
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi: Wat is this..i dont even...
X-Men: Wolverine, Batman and Iron anime man have killed my excitment for this
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi: nope
Seikon no Qwasar II: I like how this anime takes it self so seriously. Nope.
Ring ni Kakero: no
Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream: no
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal: I dont even care anymore
Metal Fight BeyBlade 4D: WOOOOOO!! no
Jewelpet Sunshine: jesus christ this is alot of anime. no
Danbooru Senki: no
Happy Kappy: DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. no
Suzy's Zoo Daisuki! Witzy: DAY 1

Go_Ly_Dow

Phhhew finally caught up.

Checking out Steins Gate. I'll pick up several shows and eventually just filter out the crap as always. Times not an issue since Easter break is approaching.

Studio DEEN's show will be auto-skipped.

I almost thought we survived a whole season without having a major creepy show and then I saw this..

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku
Studio: Gathering
Air Date: AT-X (2011-04-13), BS11 Digital (2011-04-08), Tokyo MX TV (2011-04-06)
Streaming on: ???
A guide book teaching shy men around 30 how to date and have sex with women.

Jex

Dresden said:
Appleseed is going to suck.
You can't know that for sure!

But you're probably correct.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

∀ Gundam 50: Otherwise known as one of the greatest finales in anime.

As a side not, and bar my ignorance of the other Gundam shows, but how often does a Char/Char-clone end up with some kind of happy ending? Because I haven't come across it in any of the other Gundam shows that I've watched.

Dresden said:
Appleseed is going to suck.

wont hurt trying again.

Jexhius said:
You can't know that for sure!

But you're probably correct.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

∀ Gundam 50: Otherwise known as one of the greatest finales in anime.

As a side not, and bar my ignorance of the other Gundam shows, but how often does a Char/Char-clone end up with some kind of happy ending? Because I haven't come across it in any of the other Gundam shows that I've watched.

Wing (but only in the Endless Waltz movie).

Dresden

On one hand it's nice to see a multi-season show based on something that's not a battle manga. And it might get people to start translating the manga again.

On the other hand it's Bee Train...

Articalys

Whenever I9 gets back, someone let him know that Crunchyroll has confirmed streams for:
Sket Dance
Hoshizora
Tono to Issho
so he can update the OP with those.

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
Wing (but only in the Endless Waltz movie).
Hmm. I see.

I mean, Char-Clones deserve a happy ending. They tend to look cool, have sweet mechs, kick-ass in fights and work really hard. But usually they EXPLODE or have a heroic sacrifice or something.

I'm glad that Tomino corrected this oversight in his final show.

Also, ROCKET PUNCH and Macross (vaugely) references in the final episode. Awesome, this show remembers robot shows from across the board, not just Gundam properties.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
I'm going to have to ask again to be more specific. I want to properly respond but I still don't have a clear idea on what I need to respond to. I mean the characters each fall into particular archetypes but I neither think this is a bad thing nor do I think the characters don't "progress", though obviously that depends on just what you mean by that very vague term.

I'm just curious as to how your thought process works becuase my biggest fear right now is that you're just another 7th and if that ends up being the case then I need to cut this argument short ASAP.
Alright, I should be clear on one thing: I don't hate the show, I don't even really consider it that bad, I just consider it what it is: Another Magical Girl Show: People Die Edition. That's fine if that's what you like about it. That's fine if you enjoy the stock standard characters with prebaked "development". That's fine if you enjoy it for the music and artistic design and darker-than-usual themes. It's fine if you enjoy it in spite of its weaknesses. In fact, there are some parts that I do enjoy.

What I'm saying is that it's really not that special of a magical girl show. Y'see, I'm not really a fan of the genre because of the various weaknesses with the format, particularly in the character and larger issues department. Y'see, the show doesn't actually put some sort of new spin on magical girls, it puts it in a slightly different wrapper, and as thus isn't particularly deep in narrative nor interesting in scope. It's really just another magical girl show touched up for a periphery demographic. And if you like it for that, wonderful! I'm just calling a spade a spade in how there's very little under the skin of the show than what you see.

trejo

I liked Noir but that was back during my "all anime is awesome!" phase so I don't know how it holds up.

I'm pretty sure the soundtrack's still good, at least.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dragon Crisis 12
I just watched a dragon carrying a plane get killed by a giant pink heart spawned by an "engage" kiss.

0f49f041f3a810a446543cddd830ca2a0cf92f2e.jpg

And then somehow the pandering ending made even less sense.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
Alright, I should be clear on one thing: I don't hate the show, I don't even really consider it that bad, I just consider it what it is: Another Magical Girl Show: People Die Edition. That's fine if that's what you like about it. That's fine if you enjoy the stock standard characters with prebaked "development". That's fine if you enjoy it for the music and artistic design and darker-than-usual themes. It's fine if you enjoy it in spite of its weaknesses. In fact, there are some parts that I do enjoy.

What episode are you upto?

The show does play on the characters like a fiddle, and there are consequences for acting the way they do.

Dresden

Man, that's an ugly plane.
icarus-daedelus said:
Forget DEEN, has Bee Train ever done anything remotely good? I mean, besides hiring good composers occasionally? They're at insta-skip status for me.
Medabots was supposedly good (according to the discussion last season). Never seen it though.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
On one hand it's nice to see a multi-season show based on something that's not a battle manga. And it might get people to start translating the manga again.

On the other hand it's Bee Train...

It's a 39 episode anime that is very unique, actually aimed at adults and based on last years Tezuka Osamu Cultural grand prize winning manga. From what I can tell based on the tiny little bit that was translated, it is probably one of the best if not the best manga to even get an anime adaptation.

On the other hand it's Bee Train, but I think that even a Tsubasa level adaptation of this source material would be worth a watch.

If someone starts translating the manga again I am probably going to bail out quickly though.

Beam said:
Wolverine 11 and 12
Why did i even bother.

So duckroll wouldn't be alone anymore.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
It's a 39 episode anime that is very unique, actually aimed at adults and based on last years Tezuka Osamu Cultural grand prize winning manga. From what I can tell based on the tiny little bit that was translated, it is probably one of the best if not the best manga to even get an anime adaptation.

On the other hand it's Bee Train, but I think that even a Tsubasa level adaptation of this source material would be worth a watch.

If someone starts translating the manga again I am probably going to bail out quickly though.
Outside of Bee Train(Which definitely isn't a good thing), I've been looking forward to the show. Wasn't it supposed to come out last season or the one before that too?

trejo said:
I liked Noir but that was back during my "all anime is awesome!" phase so I don't know how it holds up.

I'm pretty sure the soundtrack's still good, at least.
Not well. Soundtrack is still great though.

Steroyd

Dance In My Blood said:
Dragon Crisis 12
I just watched a dragon carrying a plane get killed by a giant pink heart spawned by an "engage" kiss.

http://i.picpar.com/0f49f041f3a810a446543cddd830ca2a0cf92f2e.jpg[IMG]

And then somehow the pandering ending made even less sense.[/QUOTE]

Oh thank the lord that I dodged that bullet.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
What is that Bee Train show even about though? The wiki gods are coming up empty.
The story is set during Japan's Sengoku Jidai (Era of the Warring States) and centers on Sasuke Furuta, a vassal of the great warlord Nobunaga Oda and a man obsessed with tea ceremony and material desires in his pursuit of a fortuitous life. Having learned from Oda and the legendary tea master Sen no Sōeki, Furuta walks the way of the "Hyouge Mono."

Jex

Steroyd said:
What episode are you upto?

The show does play on the characters like a fiddle, and there are consequences for acting the way they do.
It makes no difference. Those complaints apply throughout.

Jexhius said:
Hmm. I see.

I mean, Char-Clones deserve a happy ending. They tend to look cool, have sweet mechs, kick-ass in fights and work really hard. But usually they EXPLODE or have a heroic sacrifice or something.I'm glad that Tomino corrected this oversight in his final show.

Also, ROCKET PUNCH and Macross (vaugely) references in the final episode. Awesome, this show remembers robot shows from across the board, not just Gundam properties.

Thats what happened in Wing actually but somehow made it. lol

Dresden

Ojisan no Lamp:

7z4E9l.jpg

burn in hell edison burn in hell

That was pretty good. Looking forward to other stuff from the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom