• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Articalys said:
Whenever I9 gets back, someone let him know that Crunchyroll has confirmed streams for:
Sket Dance
Hoshizora
Tono to Issho
so he can update the OP with those.

You can add Deadman Wonderland to the list.
4 more titles to come tomorrow.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 5
Not really much to say that I haven't already. Action was pretty solid, though I noticed alot of animation reuses. The editing is starting to get kind of silly stupid though. The sudden cuts to alternate views and sudden glamor poses had me laughing a bit in how inane they were. Other than that, it was really just a continuation of "OMG, MADOKA, ONLY YOU CAN DO SOMETHING TO STOP THIS NONSENSE!" It's starting to get old. :/

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Alright, I should be clear on one thing: I don't hate the show, I don't even really consider it that bad, I just consider it what it is: Another Magical Girl Show: People Die Edition. That's fine if that's what you like about it. That's fine if you enjoy the stock standard characters with prebaked "development". That's fine if you enjoy it for the music and artistic design and darker-than-usual themes. It's fine if you enjoy it in spite of its weaknesses. In fact, there are some parts that I do enjoy.

What I'm saying is that it's really not that special of a magical girl show. Y'see, I'm not really a fan of the genre because of the various weaknesses with the format, particularly in the character and larger issues department. Y'see, the show doesn't actually put some sort of new spin on magical girls, it puts it in a slightly different wrapper, and as thus isn't particularly deep in narrative nor interesting in scope. It's really just another magical girl show touched up for a periphery demographic. And if you like it for that, wonderful! I'm just calling a spade a spade in how there's very little under the skin of the show than what you see.

Okay I understand what you're getting at now and I can just agree to disagree.

And I don't think I ever claimed the show as "deep" though I do think it's interesting. Really, I don't think the show would work nearly as well without using the stock character archetypes to tell its story because, as Branduil already sorta said, that's kinda the point.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
It makes no difference. Those complaints apply throughout.

Only Homura can legitemately have any character development all the others are pre-baked because they're mainly just the outcome of a different timeline.

I feel all of doomed1's complaints are valid, he gets what the show is doing on purpose, just that he's harbouring an almost opposite reaction to it all, which is fine.

cj_iwakura

Dennou Coil sounds interesting. I'm a huge Lain fan, of course.
(Never seen Mononoke, unless you count the Ghibli film.)

Geneijin said:
I hope one of the last shows you've watched was Mushishi.

I haven't.

Joule

Hellsing321 said:
Then you need to fix that right away.
It is one of the best things in the last few years of anime.

Finished up Zombie and that last episode really did feel like "Buy our CDs!" to me. I wish the show had been nonsensical shenanigans throughout the whole show rather than all that bleh drama.

iavi

Saiyar said:

I'm wondering if Hulu/Funimation is going to do their usual, and grab the Noitamina block this season? They've been pretty consistent about that.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Okay I understand what you're getting at now and I can just agree to disagree.

And I don't think I ever claimed the show as "deep" though I do think it's interesting. Really, I don't think the show would work nearly as well without using the stock character archetypes to tell its story because, as Branduil already sorta said, that's kinda the point.
Well of course, nihil novi sub sole and all that, and my entire approach to literature is based on the study of archetypes. What disappoints me most is that they don't try and do anything with these archetypes, they're not their own characters so much as they are the ARCHETYPES themselves. It's one thing to use the stock as your foundation, it's another to use it as the whole house.

Dresden said:
Ojisan no Lamp:

7z4E9l.jpg

burn in hell edison burn in hell

That was pretty good. Looking forward to other stuff from the project.
What is this about? Looks interesting.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Well of course, nihil novi sub sole and all that, and my entire approach to literature is based on the study of archetypes. What disappoints me most is that they don't try and do anything with these archetypes, they're not their own characters so much as they are the ARCHETYPES themselves. It's one thing to use the stock as your foundation, it's another to use it as the whole house.
Unless it's a beautiful house, with a huge bathroom.

flawfuls

Saiyar said:

Wow crunchyroll is just getting everything. I mean seriously why would they license Tono to Issho, nobody in their right mind would watch that show (except me).

LProtag

I'm looking forward to the new Makoto Shinkai movie, but that seems to be about it.

I guess I'll see if anything this season is surprisingly good and if a lot of people are talking about it. Sadly none of the shows that people got into this season interested me at all.

Branduil

doomed1 said:

I don't think it's really fair to say they don't do anything with the archetypes. You can't isolate the characters from their context within the story like that.

flawfuls said:
Wow crunchyroll is just getting everything. I mean seriously why would they license Tono to Issho, nobody in their right mind would watch that show (except me).

I find it hilarious they got Lotte. Of course people will actually watch that for the same reason many people watched Oreimo, aka promises of things that won't happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Bulk translation costs. They might as well get everything they can.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, Mononoke is unrelated to Princess Mononoke, and is only 12 episodes long, so you're not losing much time. Go forth, young man!
+ the three episodes from Ayakashi.

Joule

Index 23: I think Dresden covered this one pretty well already but to reiterate, what kind of group calls themselves GROUP. I'm not exactly certain what's going now in the plot.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:

And you were doing so well.

Everything serves a purpose.

jman2050

The most annoying thing about defending Madoka is that it isn't actually over yet and a bad ending could single-handedly ruin the series.

7Th

jman2050 said:
The most annoying thing about defending Madoka is that it isn't actually over yet and a bad ending could single-handedly ruin the series.

It's not like we will ever watch the ending.

hellclerk

Branduil said:
I don't think it's really fair to say they don't do anything with the archetypes. You can't isolate the characters from their context within the story like that.
Sure I can. The story is equally pretty standard, short Kyubey.

Speaking of which...
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 6
Is everyone in this show a hot-headed moron? Kyubey gets his hand shown a bit, results were predictably "OMG, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS!" and Kyubey's all like "Bitch, you didn't ask!" LIKE A BOSS. But I digress. Not necessarily something I predicted, but it was pretty obvious once Homura went after the gem and it fits in line with various things.

warpaint said:
Can anyone tell me any good site where i can watch the newer anime in dub or subtitled many thanks
Newer shows as in from this season? Crunchyroll is the only site that has announced simulcasts for shows this season but imagine Funimation will get some and put them up on Hulu.

Steroyd

jman2050 said:

If we die, at least we'll die fighting.

Branduil said:
Then you should have no trouble naming the numerous anime identical to Madoka.
Mai Hime has some pretty strong similarities to Madoka. Except Madoka is actually good. Of course they could screw the pooch on the ending like Hime did.

Solune

Hellsing321 said:
Mai Hime has some pretty strong similarities to Madoka. Except Madoka is actually good. Of course they could screw the pooch on the ending like Hime did.
You know, I thought Mai Hime was geniunely good until the ending.

Branduil

Hellsing321 said:
Mai Hime has some pretty strong similarities to Madoka. Except Madoka is actually good.
Well, there you go. Execution is important.

Also I don't know what you guys were talking about, 10 is the last episode of Madoka.

warpaint

Hellsing321 said:
Newer shows as in from this season? Crunchyroll is the only site that has announced simulcasts for shows this season but imagine Funimation will get some and put them up on Hulu.
sorry should of said the newer shows. Will try crunchyroll

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hellsing321 said:

Mai Hime was Magical Girl Highlander. And was even worst than Gothic Lolita Doll Highlander.

flawfuls

icarus-daedelus said:
I thought about checking out Ayakashi due to the Mononoke connection. How is it comparatively? I didn't think too much about the strangeness of watching a spinoff first, I guess because I never hear anything mentioned about the base material.

Ayakashi is a set of completely different Japanese folklore stories with the last set being the first three episodes of Mononoke. The other stories are decent, but not great and have very little in common, even visually they are totally different. You could just watch the last three episodes if you're only interested in mononoke.

7Th

jman2050 said:
Unlike something like Madoka if you aren't in its expected audience you *will* hate on it, very hard.

Cosmic likes everything that is over-the-top/melodramatic/crazy enough; I'm sure he will enjoy Mai-Hime, at least from episode 13 and onwards.

Ezalc

Sket-Dance. FUCK YES GET HYPE. Tiger and Bunny sounds like it'll be interesting too. And then there's that Fairy Tail OVA... mmmm.

jman2050

7Th said:
Cosmic likes everything that is over-the-top/melodramatic/crazy enough; I'm sure he will enjoy Mai-Hime, at least from episode 13 and onwards.

Yeah, if that's the case he'll probably like it for the same reasons I did.

We'll see though.

hellclerk

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 7
Well, it appears that Sayaka has hit the trauma insanity curve, so perhaps the genre's mixing a bit. The non-standard shame is actually a disappointment, however, since it stunts any level of character growth that could exist, and I get the feeling that she's going to die soon enough. Great visual style for the ending fight of that one, and Madoka continues to be the annoying woobie. The progression continues to drag and at this point I'm only really watching for the fights and how they're presented. Kyubey's rise as a non-standard villain is also interesting I suppose, but I noticed the little weasel's potential from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom