• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff

Banned
Finished up Maria+Holic. Don't know if it finished as strongly as it started, but it was a fun ride and I enjoyed it. Can't wait for season 2!

Now on to, uh, I dunno. Strike Witches?

7Th

Thinking about it, Mai-Hime is actually the perfect example of what most people expect of modern anime:

-Tits
-Tentacle rape
-Useless male hero that is loved by a big breasted tsundere and a flat-chested tsundere
-Evil catholic priest
-Evil underage prostitute that robs and kills her customers
-Evil cute shota
-Evil bishounen
-Funny RAGE faces
-Rape
-Obsessed, completely crazy lesbian
-Lesbian rape
-Underage lesbians
-Lesbian robots
-Angst, lots and lots of angst
-ONIISAMA, ONIISAMA, ONIISAMA, ONIISAMA

7Th said:
Thinking about it, Mai-Hime is actually the perfect example of what most people expect of modern anime:

-Tits
-Tentacle rape
-Useless male hero that is loved by a big breasted tsundere and a flat-chested tsundere
-Evil catholic priest
-Evil cute shota
-Evil bishounen
-Funny RAGE faces
-Rape
-Lesbian rape
-Underage lesbians
-Lesbian robots

i think i'll finally watch this after all this time. :eek:

jman2050

7Th said:

-Tits
-Tentacle rape
-Evil catholic priest
-Evil cute shota
-Evil bishounen
-Funny RAGE faces
-Rape
-Lesbian rape
-Underage lesbians
-Lesbian robots

You forgot
drill hair

I Am Now

Banned
hamchan said:
Yeah there's a Honey and Clover 2 with like 12 more eps, go watch that.

Are they actually going to wrap things up, or does nothing end up changing anyway? If I'm going to invest my time in 6 more hours of this I want closure, dammit!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 8
And thus falls the Paladin. And now they're playing with time. Wonderful. I am impressed with one aspect of the plot now however. It seems that the entire show is
based on Madoka NOT becoming a magical girl
. If the next few episodes go as I expect them to, I'd put it around (probably a little under) Haruhi. There are plenty of narrative loose ends that won't get tied up and when you're fucking with time travel you have to throw ALL logic out the door. The characters are still stiff and boring, but the fighting that will inevitably take place will be fun times.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
Aren't the
psychotic rapist schoolgirl lesbian with robot
traits all rolled into just one character in the series though?

No, the
lesbian robot
and the
psychotic rapist lesbian
are different characters.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I Am Now said:
Are they actually going to wrap things up, or does nothing end up changing anyway? If I'm going to invest my time in 6 more hours of this I want closure, dammit!
Depends on your mindset, personally. I thought the ending was fairly well-done, although i still have reservations ABOUT what happened before the ending..

Nah, Mononoke is unrelated to Princess Mononoke, and is only 12 episodes long, so you're not losing much time. Go forth, young man!
Mushi-shi is probably a more accessible show than mononoke, however since the guy likes serial experiments lain, he might not have a problem with the orthodox nature of mononoke.

Swag

I Am Now said:
There is closure, but not the closure your looking for!

flawfuls

Ojisan no Lamp

That was great, they crammed a nice satisfying story in that 25 minute length. How many other shows are part of this Young Animator Training project thing? If they all end up being this good I will be very pleased.

Geneijin

cj_iwakura said:
I haven't.
Then you need to rectify this. Funimation uploaded Mushishi onto youtube, but it's too bad the subbed version isn't all there yet. Up to episode 12 or so subbed. You can watch the dub if you want since it's all there unlike the sub but I wouldn't. Your experience with Mushishi would thank you for it. I hope I'm not just saying that because I prefer the sub more than the dub.

The same year Haruhi came out, 2006 also had Honey & Clover 2 and Ouran High School Host Club. Good times.

JKTrix

warpaint said:
Will try crunchyroll
Some of the stuff on Crunchyroll you have to be a paid member to see, like the newest-of-the-new anime and some of the catalog stuff. They do have a lot of stuff for free, though.

I'm a paid member there, and they give us one free 24 hour premium access code per month. I believe you will still need to create a free account, but PM me if you want to try the 24 hour access.

vall03

man, thats a lot for this season, oh well, will watch all of them except for some 2nd season shows I still havent watched and the ones in the second post. Oh, but I will check Danbooru Senki though.

Geneijin

This talk of Mushishi got me to check out Episode 7 again. It was always one of my most favorite episodes above the others even though Mushishi as a whole is superb. Not sure why it particular sticks out to me.

Anyone have any special favorites as well?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 9
Oh great, and they were doing so well too... They're combining a poor understanding of conservation of energy with metaphysics to justify all this bullshit.
Oh no, we're superlogical aliens who are just trying to keep the universe running!
This is all just too silly...

I really don't expect things to get better with the last episode.

NeonZ

Eh... It's not like anyone would follow it anyway, but the image in the first post for the Jewel Pet series is from last season, Jewel Pet Tinkle, not from Jewel Pet Sunshine.

This is the actual Jewel Pet Sunshine:

key.jpg

Not this:

http://i.min.us/imt8Ka.png

iavi

doomed1 said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 9
Oh great, and they were doing so well too... They're combining a poor understanding of conservation of energy with metaphysics to justify all this bullshit.
Oh no, we're superlogical aliens who are just trying to keep the universe running!
This is all just too silly...

I really don't expect things to get better with the last episode.

Did you honestly go into a show with little girls that transform into glittery magical super soldiers expecting anything more than silliness? I don't even get the point of delving this deep into the workings of it all.

qcf x2

Yeah, if you're looking for something profound that can stand up to scientific analysis, anime may not be the place to start. It's a magical girl show that's better than most magical girl shows. That's about it. I think part of the popularity is that so many other series have failed to be entertaining. Besides, Kyubey probably lied about everything because he knows they're just middle school girls.

Stuff I'll check out from this season:

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Toriko (idk why)
Ao no Exorcist (idk why either)
Deadman Wonderland

I expect to not like any of them. I think I have a 1 show per 3 seasons average. :-\

Branduil

Miri said:
Did you honestly go into a show with little girls that transform into glittery magical super soldiers expecting anything more than silliness? I don't even get the point of delving this deep into the workings of it all.
He only started watching the show because he was criticizing it without watching it. I'd say this just proves that watching a show to win an argument is a bad idea... you see what you want to see.

7Th

qcf x2 said:
Yeah, if you're looking for something profound that can stand up to scientific analysis, anime may not be the place to start. It's a magical girl show that's better than most magical girl shows. That's about it. I think part of the popularity is that so many other series have failed to be entertaining. Besides, Kyubey probably lied about everything because he knows they're just middle school girls.

I think the fact that he talked about entropy in a completely unrelated scene in episode 10 proves that whatever he said to Madoka regarding his true motivation is real.

jman2050

Branduil said:
He only started watching the show because he was criticizing it without watching it. I'd say this just proves that watching a show to win an argument is a bad idea... you see what you want to see.

I dunno, he's not saying anything blatantly wrong about the series, it's just that he happens to dislike the same stuff we like.

Joule

Geneijin said:
This talk of Mushishi got me to check out Episode 7 again. It was always one of my most favorite episodes above the others even though Mushishi as a whole is superb. Not sure why it particular sticks out to me.

Anyone have any special favorites as well?

It's difficult to just pick any one out. They're all so good.

The ones that stick out in my mind right now are the episode 4 with the blacksmith and his pillow and episode 24 with the traveling musician. The former was really quite haunting with regards to how it ended and the latter similarly with a certain part in the end (those eyes...).

Branduil

jman2050 said:
I dunno, he's not saying anything blatantly wrong about the series, it's just that he happens to dislike the same stuff we like.
Well yes, my point is that going into a show with an axe to grind will leave you predisposed to view it in an unfavorable light.

I Am Now

Banned
Joule said:
It's difficult to just pick any one out. They're all so good.

The ones that stick out in my mind right now are the episode 4 with the blacksmith and his pillow and episode 24 with the traveling musician. The former was really quite haunting with regards to how it ended and the latter similarly with a certain part in the end (those eyes...).
The first 2 stick out above a lot of the rest, also the episode about his childhood.

trejo

jman2050 said:
True. But it's like he thought we were hailing it as the Citizen Kane of anime or somesuch and is dead set on proving us wrong for some reason.

At least that's the impression I get.

JKTrix

Branduil said:
Well yes, my point is that going into a show with an axe to grind will leave you predisposed to view it in an unfavorable light.
It's funny that you say this, because I was going to bring up your 'inspired' run-through of RahXephon with zero translations when doomed1 started with this.
Dresden said:
Huge Grin

trejo

JKTrix said:
It's funny that you say this, because I was going to bring up your 'inspired' run-through of RahXephon with zero translations when doomed1 started with this.
Oh snap.

jman2050

JKTrix said:

Shit just got real.

Branduil

JKTrix said:
You might have a point, but at the beginning I had no reason to dislike RahXephon. I was fully prepared to enjoy it. And I fully admit I think that harem tropes are trash and I'm predisposed to dislike stories that feature them. Though it's not impossible for me to like a show that includes them. If you dislike magical girl stories then yeah, you probably won't like Madoka.

I didn't go into RahXephon in order to make arguments against it, though. My purpose was much more esoteric and general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom