• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKTrix

Uchip said:
excuse me?
I own macross plus and the ost
im questioning which pop songs are in it?
the soundtrack is awesome
Oh okay, that makes sense then. Most of the Macross franchise's songs are considered 'pop' (including all of Plus), with the exception of Macross 7 which is just straight-up rock n' roll.

Steroyd

7Th said:

This impresses me for the wrong reasons.

Cwarrior said:
hmm.. Only ones I remember liking is sailor moon and card captors(dub) but that was really long time ago. My taste in anime has changed since then so I don't think there for me.

I only asked if you've seen Mahou Shoujo's because I was genuinely curious why the events in episode 3 didn't hook you into watching the next episode, while you don't need to have deep knowledge about the genre the bait and switch helps if you have general knowledge about the typical Magical Girl genre.

Cwarrior said:
I did think Madoka was ok but I wasn't a big fan of the go into weird zone and fight random enemies (bunch of stuff with no personality or anything),I tend to like the opposing side to be actual characters(what ever it may be).

Boy you sure picked a sucky time to stop watching Madoka, it doesn't follow the enemy of the week formula onwards from where you stopped at all. :)

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
mAcOdIn, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'll have to continue past this episode. I'll probably finish it too. It's a different kind of unbelievable. Here's something to jog your memory.
Lol, hey now, you don't need to apologize to me but your soul will probably need an apology.
Geneijin said:
Not bothering with spoilers at all. I'll post this each time I'm talking about this.
Yeah, I'm sure no-one will care.
Geneijin said:
And as a response to your old post[/url], how could you forget the scene where Michel was retreating back to his ship? A horse carriage in space used as an escape? Did I really combine those into a sentence? That made me question how people were able to breathe in space before Michel's surrender near the end.
I just figured there was some kind of atmosphere, not like I can exactly see ours either.

Seriously though, you've done enough you can rest now, no-one will think any less of you.

icarus-daedelus said:
Welcome back, mac! It truly is the length and not the number of posts that make a good poster great.
Aww, thanks! :hugs: Digging the new avatars too.
icarus-daedelus said:
I'll be expecting that Spice & Wolf of the Stars crossover fanfiction soon, of course.
Yeah, about this though, it'll take a long time as Holo, Spoor and the Queen are more deserving of good dialogue than us mere Gaffers were, I owe it to them to do them right.
icarus-daedelus said:
Damn, I have to watch this stat.
Just the first episode! I fear we lost Geneijin, hope he can come back to us safely.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Kore wa Zombie desu ka? 12 how boring, seriously, despite no baddies or anything this episode it was totally dull, a terrible send off.

Dresden

jman2050 said:
kqdfN.jpg

That said, the dude is a white knight and it's annoying.

Steroyd

jman2050 said:

And this is why you'll be forever suckered into watching more Oreimo.

Also Kimi Ni todoke S2 was only 12 eps long this round, almost regret not following it if I knew that was the case.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
I'm just surprised more people aren't seeing that novel spoiler for the obvious plot device that it is.
I hope it's a plot device that
gets everyone on a plane to see Kirino and it gets shot down by extremists over Malaysia, then Kirino finds out the news and kills herself by throwing herself into a meat grinder.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
And this is why you'll be forever suckered into watching more Oreimo.

Also Kimi Ni todoke S2 was only 12 eps long this round, almost regret not following it if I knew that was the case.
Yeah, it covered pretty much most of the manga. The fact that they're blowing out episodes left and right is throwing me off though.

Dresden said:
That said, the dude is a white knight and it's annoying.
At least he's called on it.

Poor childhood friend though. She always loses!

trejo

Funny that a yaoi fangirl is what's gonna make me watch the new episode of Oreimo. I thought I was done with that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does Sour Vags ever let her hair down in the series.

Cwarrior said:
hmm.. Only ones I remember liking is sailor moon and card captors(dub) but that was really long time ago. My taste in anime has changed since then so I don't think there for me.

Watch the Japanese version of CCS. It's actually good, unlike the dub. I would say to keep watching Madoka, but if you aren't feeling it, it's probably not worth continuing.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 4
Proceeding as expected. Madoka's lack of grief kneejerking is kinda refreshing, but exchanging it for OMG, I DIDN'T WANT THIS angst is kinda worse.

Actually, there IS one point of positive in the writing/characterizations. I get the impression that Kyubey is playing them all like fiddles. The talk of "everyone wants something" and the use of absolutes (those who aren't magical girls don't get to criticize them) tells me he's a trickster type and definitely has some hidden agenda and knows more than he lets on. If I'm wrong on THIS, I will be profoundly disappointed though. The wolf in sheep's clothing is probably the only thing this show has going for it where it counts (the technicals are still the same, though it's starting to wear on me).

Jex

trejo said:
Funny that a yaoi fangirl is what's gonna make me watch the new episode of Oreimo. I thought I was done with that.
That's what we all thought.
doomed1 said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 4If I'm wrong on THIS, I will be profoundly disappointed though.
Predicting where the plot will go in Madoka isn't particularly impressive, it's kind of like looking out the window and seeing heavy clouds. You guess it's going to rain and most of the time it does.

trejo

Jexhius said:
That's what we all thought.
How naive we were.

Jexhius said:
Predicting where the plot will go in Madoka isn't particularly impressive, it's kind of like looking out the window and seeing heavy clouds. You guess it's going to rain and most of the time it does.
It's all in the execution.

El Sloth

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Three episodes in I don't get the hate for Kimi no Todoke. Sure, it's a bit uneventful, but it's hard not to care about Sawako's social woes and her cute infatuation with everybishounencondensedever.

Feel good animu. Maybe I'm just a sucker for this kind of stories.
I'm the same. I can't help but enjoy the fluff.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
Which is exactly my point.

trejo said:
It's all in the execution.
You don't get a say in this, you think Madoka is better than Wandering Son.

trejo

doomed1 said:
You don't get a say in this, you think Madoka is better than Wandering Son.
No, u.

edit: I feel I should clarify. I love both shows and think they both excel at what they're going for but IMO, Madoka is the more consistently entertaining show. Not to mention one of my biggest gripes with Wandering Son is it's visuals, which is something I must compromise on. That is not a trait Madoka shares so overall, I think of it as the more complete package, if you will.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends your sensibilities somehow.

Jex

jman2050 said:
That's not a bad thing.
Correct. There aren't many shows that one couldn't predict, at least not logical ones.

If you can easily predict where a story is going and it's, say, a mystery show, then you have a real problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking of unpredictable shows - ∀ Gundam 49: It's weird to say this, considering how long this show is already, but this final part of the story seems rushed. As in, they could have easily done 10 more episodes on the return arc.

On the other hand, this is an entirely action based episode. Some of it's alright, some of it's good and a few parts are amazing.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Correct. There aren't many shows that one couldn't predict, at least not logical ones.

If you can easily predict where a story is going and it's, say, a mystery show, then you have a real problem.
B-but Victorique is sooo cute.

jman2050

Jexhius said:

Eh even then it depends on the work. Detective Conan is a long-running mystery-of-the-week show and its mysteries fall into one of two categories: incredibly predictable or so off-the-wall that it's beyond prediction. Rarely do the mysteries actually involve anything "clever" and yet the show is fun to watch because it goes through the motions in an engaging way. Madoka is similar in this regard.

jman2050 said:
Eh even then it depends on the work. Detective Conan is a long-running mystery-of-the-week show and its mysteries fall into one of two categories: incredibly predictable or so off-the-wall that it's beyond prediction. Rarely do the mysteries actually involve anything "clever" and yet the show is fun to watch because it goes through the motions in an engaging way. Madoka is similar in this regard.

I would say the vast majority of the mysteries in Conan are pretty clever. There are certainly some that aren't, but most of the mysteries are generally laid out in a pretty clever way.

Steroyd said:
She even loses in doujins to, perhaps someone has finally felt sorry for her. :(

iirc she does win in a doujin....

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Indeed. There's nothing particularly surprising about what happens in Madoka, but pretty much every element of the story is executed perfectly.

and its hilarious to watch it unfold.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I wasn't commenting on any particular work. I was just saying that Madoka isn't a mystery story.

(Assumption: If a show isn't a mystery story it doesn't matter that it's predictable.)

jman2050

Jexhius said:
I wasn't commenting on any particular work. I was just saying that Madoka isn't a mystery story.

(Assumption: If a show isn't a mystery story it doesn't matter that it's predictable.)

I can go with that.

farnham

Banned
shit no kirino in oreimo made the series like 100% better

kuroneko is awesome!

excellent pairing with bro too. much better then the ayano pairing that was a possible ending in the game (ugh)

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
*hugs* Thanks! I felt bad for never using any of those Spoor avatars haly made me one or two threads ago that I promised to use, so here she is, at long last.
Is the silhouetted one from Utena? June can't come soon enough for me. Utena related, anyone know if Right Stuf/Nozomi are going to do the movie as well, and if not should I hold off on the movie until after watching the series or would it be ok to watch it first?
icarus-daedelus said:
Ohh, Spoon Spoor is involved now too?! You shouldn't have told me, because now I won't be able to keep my anticipation at reasonable levels.
How can Spoor not make an appearance? A lady of Chaos has to be where the chaos is and I think the Abh Queen being usurped by a wolf-God would count as chaos, glorious chaos.

Sadly though, in my story I'll go the realistic route and have Lawrence be dead, no him being bitten by Holo or anything granting him immortality in my story, it'll be as true to reality as I can make something with deities and genetically modified aliens. I'm currently brainstorming whether I want to pair Holo up with anyone as she's at her best when she's teasing someone and I have an awesome candidate in mind but I'm not sure if I can pull it off, the other half of me wants to just rub sand in JintoxLafiel fans and hook her up with Jinto but that's just demeaning to Holo, so I'm also wondering if I should just keep her single which would be easier for me to write but less fun.

Although you should probably temper any anticipation you have as I'm not sure I can live up to any of that, I think I can top a Gonzo story, actually I think the random text that my cat makes in notepad as she walks across the keyboard can top Gonzo, but it'll probably not be up to, say, JC Staff's level. Wait, they don't do anything but adaptations do they, ok, umm, Bones then. Expect Bones quality storytelling but hopefully with a more coherent ending.

icarus-daedelus said:
I didn't listen to your wise advice the last time you warned me away, remember? :p Anyway, it depends, because my original impetus to watch GF was to better be able to hate on Gonzo. If I can do that with only one episode under my belt, all the better.

Although, that was our initial reasoning when my friend and I made the pact to watch all KEY/KyoAni adaptations... maybe I should start ignorant hating from afar...
Oh one episode of Glass Fleet should be enough, I've honestly never seen anything that I hated as much as the first episode of Glass Fleet. Watch it on Hulu with the dub for a greater effect.

Key KyoAni works though, I don't even think they compare, I think I can see how some would like those shows, I wouldn't even put them in the same breath as Gonzo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solune said:
Think of the audience, we have to suffer through her boredom. No sympathy

High Five.
Childhood friend > tsundere. Every time!

Also, Zombie 12 was a nonsense fanservice finale episode. Well, I suppose it makes sense in the context of the show making no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom