• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
It's a kitty!

Looked like a UFO with a cat on top.

Lafiel said:
So is anyone going watch the new Shaft show? Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko.

I will! I have no idea what its gonna be about but it looks interesting enough. Plus its SHAFT. At the very least lulz will be had with all the complaining.

Kettch

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Ehhh, show has potential, but I'm having a really hard time getting over the main character's VA. So incredibly bland, no emotion at all. The completely wrong way to do a Kyon/Araragi type character.

Geneijin

My most anticipated show hasn't even aired yet which is Moshidora. Spring 2011 is crazy.

Also, AnoHana OP is out.

Edit: It's weird reading GAF with no avatars at all.

Edit2: Edited for clarity. My fault guys. I forgot not everyone knows I'm anticipating Moshidora the most this season. :lol

Paprikka

Mandoric said:
It seems the server load with internal avatars was several times higher than normal, so Evilore had to turn them off. Also he wont really be able to fix the problem till offpeak hours so no avatars for now, or that's what I gleaned from the avatar thread. Also some amusing shops of Evilore's avatar.

flawfuls

If you have a foot or leg fetish this show is for you! Other than that I thought it was pretty boring. It was really really dialog heavily like Bakemonogatari, but the I thought writing was a lot worse than that so it just ended up being really slow and boring. It had fairly decent production values but shaft first episode something something. The OP sucks by shaft standards. Basically meh all around.

Denpa Onna whatever its SHAAAAAAFT!
Bad parenting seems to be a theme this anime season. Surprisingly restrained for a Shinbo production. Has potential so I'll keep watching.

Paprikka

Lafiel said:
Nope, neither funanimation or crunchyroll picked it up for simulcast which is kind of a shame.
If it didn't air yet there's still a chance I suppose, since C only got announced as being picked up today, the same day it aired.

flawfuls said:

If you have a foot or leg fetish this show is for you!
Bare legs are the new midriff?

flawfuls

Paprikka said:
If it didn't air yet there's still a chance I suppose, since C only got announced as being picked up today, the same day it aired.

It already aired it's just not subbed yet. I think that is what Geneijin meant because he already gave his impressions of the first episode. And it aired right after C so I would imagine that if they didn't pick it up then, then they won't pick it up at all.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Geneijin said:
It's a damn shame.
I like it more than Hanasaku Iroha.
So wait when AnoHana finally gets subtitled this thread is going turn into a war between whether AnoHana or Iroha are better or not? :)

Personally I'll be pleased enough if we get at least two quality character-driven dramas this season.:)

Paprikka

flawfuls said:
It already aired it's just not subbed yet. I think that is what Geneijin meant because he already gave his impressions of the first episode. And it aired right after C so I would imagine that if they didn't pick it up then, then they won't pick it up at all.
Oh duh, then I'll agree with his sentiment, damn shame. It seems interesting after seeing the OP and reading the description.

Cwarrior

C episode 1

uhhhh that was most ugliest anime I seen in quite a while, what’s more shocking is the first episode is usually the one with most effort put in.
So far it’s at the bottom with x men this season ,but I hope it prove me wrong and kicks my ass.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Astarotte no Omocha! 1
Wow... that was really really dumb. I don't really even get the point of bringing this whole "lolis giving BJs" through to the narrative *ahem* climax. I guess I'll watch the second episode, since pretty much nothing happened in the first episode and it all went by so slow. Who the hell is this supposed to pander to other than lolicons? Lotte is explicitly 10! It's bothersome!

On a positive note though, it DOES have pretty damned good music.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
doomed1 said:
Astarotte no Omocha! 1
Wow... that was really really dumb. I don't really even get the point of bringing this whole "lolis giving BJs" through to the narrative *ahem* climax. I guess I'll watch the second episode, since pretty much nothing happened in the first episode and it all went by so slow. Who the hell is this supposed to pander to other than lolicons? Lotte is explicitly 10! It's bothersome!

On a positive note though, it DOES have pretty damned good music.
What? That doesn't sound like the manga at all.

Geneijin

Lafiel said:
So wait when AnoHana finally gets subtitled this thread is going turn into a war between whether AnoHana or Iroha are better or not? :)

Personally I'll be pleased enough if we get at least two quality character-driven dramas this season.:)
Yes, there will be. I seriously think Menma will make or break the show for some people, but I'm already smitten by her character since Episode 1 because the direction indicates some great tension and conflict with what A-1 wants to do with her. AnoHana is more of my kind of show too.

If the avatar system wasn't down, I would already brandish my allegiance:

jj9LO.jpg

It's waiting.

Joule

InfiniteNine said:
What? That doesn't sound like the manga at all.
The first chapter is basically like the last 4 minutes of the episode or thereabouts.

This place is suddenly weird without all the avs. Just a bunch of names with no faces.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yes, there will be. I seriously think Menma will make or break the show for some people, but I'm already smitten by her character since Episode 1 because the direction indicates some great tension, conflict, and contrast with what A-1 wants to do with her. AnoHana is more of my kind of show too.
My main concern with the show at this point is considering the director and premise it might be to melodramatic for it's own good, as long as the drama can feel genuine and not to hammy I'll probably be pleased with it, i guess.
Also A-1 are a very hit and miss studio, at least this has some competent staff on it though.

jman2050

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT

Basically you already know if you like this show before you even watch it.

I loved it, totally following this one for at least three

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
My main concern with the show at this point is considering the director and premise it might be to melodramatic for it's own good, as long as the drama can feel genuine and not to hammy I'll probably be pleased with it, i guess.
Also A-1 are a very hit and miss studio, at least this has some competent staff on it though.

Its not as if PA Works has set the world on fire (re: Iroha) but I'd put money on them doing it better than A-1.

trejo

Steins:,.;Gate 2

Ok, I think I see where they're going with this, maybe. But the jumbled mess that is the direction certainly doesn't help matters much.

I have mixed feelings on the cat-eared maid character. Might need to watch more.

Cowie

Hidan no Aria 1: This show already wasn't for everybody, and I was fine with that. But man. Given the premise, there was very little this show needed to do to hook me, and it managed to do none of it. I'm going to keep watching because I can't wrap my head around not enjoying this show, but consider me, as far as I know the only person around here who was interested in this show, disappoint.

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
Its not as if PA Works has set the world on fire (re: Iroha) but I'd put money on them doing it better than A-1.
I still don't follow animation studios enough to make a judgment, but I'll say comparing both Episode 1s, PA Works is the better bet.

Hidan no Aria 1
Magic skirt, everywhere!

Other than that, I don't know how I feel about this. The MC was annoying in the first half. His "fight" scene was gimped. The school scene was terrible. There's a middle schooler in the living room.

I'll keep watching anyway. It's too early to give up.

[C]
Ugly CG is ugly. As duckroll said, this show was all over the place. I still have no idea how the fights in the Financial district work. I guess I should read that explanation posted several pages back. So far it could go either way but it at least has me interested right now.

jman2050

Hidan no Aria 1

Zero no Tsukaima with guns.

"Become my slave!"

I really really should just drop this now but my Kugimiya-gene impels me to give this at least another episode.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
P.A. Works has only 4 series listed on wiki while A1 Pictures has like twenty. Kind of hard to compare.

All 3 P.A. Works shows are completely mediocre and forgettable, though.

jman2050 said:
Hidan no Aria 1

Zero no Tsukaima with guns.

"Become my slave!"

I really really should just drop this now but my Kugimiya-gene impels me to give this at least another episode.
I think you may have a problem, Jman.

flawfuls

7Th said:
If you think P.A. Works has a better track record than A1, you haven't watched many P.A. Works shows.

To be fair there aren't very many P.A. Works shows to watch. According to wiki Iroha is only their forth show they made by themeselves.

7Th said:
All 3 P.A. Works shows are completely mediocre and forgettable, though.

One in every four of their shows are as good as Iroha!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
If you think P.A. Works has a better track record than A1, you haven't watched many P.A. Works shows.
They don't, but A-1 pictures have made more offensive productions! (Fractale, Valkyria chronicles).

Canaan was mediocre but not offensively bad like those two shows were.

Paprikka

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - I think I counted 5 Shaft Head Tilts in this episode altogether. Should make for a fun drinking game later on. Will keep watching for now and see.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - 01
I like Ami-chan and the mattress. I don't know why I watched this, but it hasn't given me a reason to stop so I'll continue to watch it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Nope, neither funanimation or crunchyroll picked it up for simulcast which is kind of a shame.
Here's hoping that someone, ahem, finds the time to do it consider the other noitanimA show is licensed.

So I do see people posting about anime shows the watch regardless of when they came out so I'll continue the trend I guess.

After completing my Nadeisco re-watch, I had to watch the movie. Nadeisco POD isn't quite as bad as it's said to be. Some humor is still there, but a lot of the anime parody wit is gone, which was one of the shows strong points. The characters where the other and that's the only value the movie has, a chance to see the characters again. I love the cast of Nadeisco, one of my favorites in all of anime really, so this a positive for me. The thing is they feel pretty pointless in the plot, and only serve to do there shtick ounce and then move on. The whole plot seems pretty pointless as it focuses on one thing which isn't even needed in the end. It's a bit more serious then the show and the serious of the plot really isn't that interesting , but hey the animation is great...

I also finished my viewing of Linebarrels of Iron. This is the kind of show you watch with an anime buddy and laugh at. It's entertaining in how just over the top and nonsensical it gets. Sadly, the last two endings have a twist that is just really dumb, that it ruins everything and the end was just really boring. The fighting was just bare bones and filled with typical "keep fighting" and "hey I found a new power" anime cliches that I just lost interest. Linebarrels wasn't a great show by any means, but it was more fun then I expected, the ending just wasn't fun I guess. Thank God for Netflick though as it made watching the show as cheap as can be.

So yeah, I'm back into watching anime again. I'll probably check out Star Driver, even though Bones keeps disappointing me after Rahxephon. Cashern Sins is on Netflick, but I feel that's a show I have to pay attention to. I'm also going to continue re-watching shows I already own. Perhaps a re-watch of Rahxephon is in order, or 2nd Gig, or even finishing for reals Gasarki.

Dresden

Lafiel said:
They don't, but A-1 pictures have made more offensive productions! (Fractale, Valkyria chronicles).

Canaan was mediocre but not offensively bad like those two shows were.
From what I watched of Canaan, it was just as bad as the two you listed, just prettier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom