• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Laura Bailey is indeed awesome. Her voice was the only thing I enjoyed in Nier before I gave up on it.
And maybe Weiss' voice too. But that's off topic!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
Laura Bailey is indeed awesome. Her voice was the only thing I enjoyed in Nier before I gave up on it.
You're horrible! *cries* Plus her performance for Kaine was just decent. Some of her lines felt unnatural while others felt right. Overall it was just okay.

Go_Ly_Dow

InfiniteNine said:
Wont be hearing any of that. :lol I got my PS3 set to auto Japanese audio and English subtitle when available. :3

How do you do this?

Also your avatar is just the top half of the head for me.

Geneijin

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku - 2
Yeah, I'm dropping this. It isn't so much the censorship was as bad as the previous episode, but that there wasn't much to censor. What remained was a sex comedy (?) that still isn't engaging me with its exploits. The beginning of the episode had the MC unhooking a bra, which the God of Sex advised it's an essential skill to learn to do skillfully.
But then, it became known the little brother of the God of Sex was crossdressing after the MC refused to have sex with her. Uh what? Exactly. It didn't work for me.
On a random note, the mixer the MC was forced to go to or else his sex doll would be punished reminds me of the fat version of Hilda in Shadow Hearts 3. The point of the mixer apparently by the God of Sex was to invite the most unappealing women and advise him to ignore outward appearances and accept the inner beauty of people. When he did, they became more mildly attractive. Yeah, didn't work either for me. There was more to this episode like how the first potential lover/soulmate a virgin communicates with is deemed extra special in their eyes and how girls can setup AK (AT fields), but I wasn't laughing at much this episode.

b8Yis.jpg

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Extollere said:
I can tell that they're singing.... but it doesn't look like they're playing the instruments >___>

I always thought they used different voices for the songs, didn't realize the actresses could sing as well.
Yeah, in Japan voice actors tend to be triple threats: Singing, acting, and dancing. It's the whole idol pop culture phenomenon. I actually find it fascinating how pop and subculture are so intricately intertwined in Japan.

On the same note, I REALLY wish they wouldn't make such a mockery of the actually good music in that show by pretending to play. I really wish they went the Gorillaz route and had a jumbo-tron with some scenes from KyoAni of the "fake" band, Houkago Tea Time with a live voicing and then having the real band obscured by darkness It would give real musicians a chance to shine while still covering what everyone went to see: Live K-ON.

Go_Ly_Dow

TWOGK II Episode 1

Keima's god aura bit was hilarious. Cute things loving girl character arc seems good so far but we all know the teacher arc will be the real deal!

InfiniteNine said:
Video Settings-> Set BD Audio Language to Japanese-> BD Subtitle Language to English. Same for DVDs.

Alt+F5?

Thanks and old F5 performed a miracle once again.

Aigis said:

You missed out! And indeed, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brian, and the entire VA cast for Nier were excellent.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
You missed out! And indeed, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brian, and the entire VA cast for Nier were excellent.
Yeah, they all did a pretty good job overall. Nier and Weiss where just perfect. It was funny finding out The King has the exact same VA in Japan as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oh, and I got my Kurau: Phantom Memory DVD set from the Crunchyroll deal today, along with my Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets (this is a game, not anime) Limited Edition.

Might start watching it today. I hope it's good!

duckroll said:
Well, I tend to like to see it from multiple angles. If we look at it just from the point of view of "Yes well Kon's films are fantastic and they are fantastic because of Kon's vision, why don't people like that? Damn they have bad taste!" then yes, they're misguided.

But at the same time, it's also interesting to ponder why his stuff doesn't resonate that well with the domestic audience. I don't have a real answer for that, but I'll venture a theory that perhaps Kon's films are actually too much like live action.

I've actually mentioned this curious phenomenon before, but the anime shows which are directed and designed in the most realistic ways are often also either generally unpopular or very unpopular in Japan. Examples include Cowboy Bebop, Denno Coil, Michiko and Hacchin, and Sword of the Stranger. They emphasize (relatively) realistic character designs, and the animation and direction are meant to convey a sense of realism and believability in both the motion of characters and the camera.

In terms of style, Kon is very similar too. As such, it seems that shows like this don't really jive with what Japanese anime fans enjoy, and are not what Japanese audiences in general "expect" from animation. They prefer stuff which are more stylized, more exaggerated, and more... exciting (?). In contrast, while a lot of anime from Japan are written off as childish, ridiculous, perverted, or plain stupid by western audiences, it is the ones which convey the sense I mentioned above which tend to get the most attention and popularity from critic circles and audiences who don't generally watch anime.

Just my two cents.

That's an interesting observation. I've never seen Kon's films as realistic or close to live action - the crazy dreamscapes in Paprika could only come from the mind of an animator - but it's true that the flights of fancy remain rooted in present-day Japanese reality and that Kon wanted to use them to say something about that reality. Perhaps it's just not escapist enough for the general public, which would be sad but not surprising.

InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, they all did a pretty good job overall. Nier and Weiss where just perfect. It was funny finding out The King has the exact same VA in Japan as well.

Considering the Facade language is just mixed-up Japanese syllables, that's what I would expect.

Aigis said:
Oh, and I got my Kurau: Phantom Memory DVD set from the Crunchyroll deal today, along with my Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets (this is a game, not anime) Limited Edition.

Might start watching it today. I hope it's good!

It's okay.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
I wonder how the dub for P&S would work out. On one hand I think the setting works just fine for it, but on the other hand the charm of beetchee and fack would be gone...

That said Laura Bailey should be badass for Panty.
Jennifer Hale!
"This is my favourite cock on the citadel".

icarus-daedelus said:
When you say 'old people' you mean in anime years, right? So 30+ year olds? :p
In Japan, I have no idea. But sure. :lol

InfiniteNine said:
That's what they got the VCR for!
Old people would rather record doramas, surely? Just like old people here.

doomed1 said:
Yeah, in Japan voice actors tend to be triple threats: Singing, acting, and dancing. It's the whole idol pop culture phenomenon. I actually find it fascinating how pop and subculture are so intricately intertwined in Japan.
It's Asia, and it's mostly because a lot of the entertainment is heavily controlled. Everyone is basically a Miley Cyrus - male or female - and they make film and television and concert appearances to support the concept of the idol rather than any particular work they're involved in.

hosannainexcelsis said:
That's an interesting observation. I've never seen Kon's films as realistic or close to live action - the crazy dreamscapes in Paprika could only come from the mind of an animator - but it's true that the flights of fancy remain rooted in present-day Japanese reality and that Kon wanted to use them to say something about that reality. Perhaps it's just not escapist enough for the general public, which would be sad but not surprising.
His directing itself is very naturalistic. Then there's the fact that the themes of his films are very adult or they feature adult characters, which is also anathema to cartoon audiences I suppose.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
Considering the Facade language is just mixed-up Japanese syllables, that's what I would expect.
Yeah, I was just checking out videos on Replicant since I'm planning to get it and thought it was a bit funny.

Grzi

Currently on episode 23 of Death Note.
Finally decided to watch it, after avoiding it for years.
It's really... not that good. It started kind of interesting, but it's becoming worse as the series is progressing.
Code Geass is so much better.

Branduil

Grzi said:
Currently on episode 23 of Death Note.
Finally decided to watch it, after avoiding it for years.
It's really... not that good. It started kind of interesting, but it's becoming worse as the series is progressing.
Code Geass is so much better.
Oh you.

Geneijin

|C| - 1
I think I really need to read Mandoric's posts, but damn, the financial district is some crazy stuff. I just want to learn more about it at this point.

firehawk12 said:
I suppose the academic/intellectual reason would be that people expect people to exploit the freedom that animation brings. Which doesn't really explain the popularity of Pixar, since they don't really push the bar when it comes to directing, but oh well.

Actually, one complaint I did read about Tokyo Godfathers from somewhere is that the film itself could have easily been done in live action. I guess technically it could've been done, but it wouldn't have been without it's "charm" to me I guess. I don't think something like Paranoia Agent could be done in live action though.

This actually kinda reminds me of the debate I see often whether or not all video games should be non-linear because the nature of them allows them to be, something I disagree with.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
firehawk, buddy, if it ever gets to that point, you know what to do. And after you're done, I'd like to be buried underneath a shady tree in the park across from my house.
I'll have Oshii make a film about you!

NotebookJ2 said:
Actually, one complaint I did read about Tokyo Godfathers from somewhere is that the film itself could have easily been done in live action. I guess technically it could've been done, but it wouldn't have been without it's "charm" to me I guess. I don't think something like Paranoia Agent could be done in live action though.

This actually kinda reminds me of the debate I see often whether or not all video games should be non-linear because the nature of them allows them to be, something I disagree with.
Yeah, pretty much. I brought up Waltz With Bashir, but it's interesting because that dude filmed a documentary and then had a group of animators basically redraw the entire film based on live action footage. And he did that so that he could have recreations of war scenes but without the expensive of actually shooting a war scene.

I think most people don't seem to like that though, when it comes to their cartoons. They just want nostalgia bombs and cute kids/mascots.

As for games, I think BioWare and Bethesda have proven that open ended games are mostly bullshit.

flawfuls

|C|

This episode was pretty much just a setup episode so it'll be hard to form an opinion of the show until the next one, but it still was very interesting. It didn't look as good as Nakaumura's other work, but it was still very stylish, more so than the trailers would lead you to believe. Right now I'm pretty hopeful for the show, can't wait until next week.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
It's Asia, and it's mostly because a lot of the entertainment is heavily controlled. Everyone is basically a Miley Cyrus - male or female - and they make film and television and concert appearances to support the concept of the idol rather than any particular work they're involved in.
Yeah, well, my main point is that the US Miley Cyrus industry doesn't directly market to the nerd subculture sector demographics. Who do you think those K-On contests were marketed to? Little girls? No parent in their right minds would take their young daughters to a show that's likely to get swarmed by otaku as K-ON. I mean, I wouldn't want to be in that crowd even if they were running something decent.

It's not really a complaint, I just think it's interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Yeah, well, my main point is that the US Miley Cyrus industry doesn't directly market to the nerd subculture sector demographics. Who do you think those K-On contests were marketed to? Little girls? No parent in their right minds would take their young daughters to a show that's likely to get swarmed by otaku as K-ON. I mean, I wouldn't want to be in that crowd even if they were running something decent.

It's not really a complaint, I just think it's interesting.
Look at all the TV cop shows that feature little girls being sexually assaulted or killed or whatever. There is always a parent willing to whore out their child for a shot at fame/money. Hell, the father of the girl from Slumdog Millionaire tried to sell her.

Asshole parents are universal.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hrmmm... Vote! Which first episode should I start with?

Hanasaku Iroha
Seikon no Qwaser II
Kanon 2006
The World God Only Knows 2
Lotte no Omocha!
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Hrmmm... Vote! Which first episode should I start with?

Hanasaku Iroha
Seikon no Qwaser II
Kanon 2006
The World God Only Knows 2
Lotte no Omocha!
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Hanasaku Iroha is really the only choice in this list.

duckroll

C is amazing.

Take Death Note, Eden of the East, Persona 3, Code Geass, Yugioh, Beyblade, and some other random shit, put it all in a blender, add in really low production values, terrible character art, cheap animation, and awful background art.... and you'll get something like C ep1! Somehow, even with all that in mind, it is STILL entertaining! This is going to be a glorious trainwreck. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
C is amazing.

Take Death Note, Eden of the East, Persona 3, Code Geass, Yugioh, Beyblade, and some other random shit, put it all in a blender, add in really low production values, terrible character art, cheap animation, and awful background art.... and you'll get something like C ep1! Somehow, even with all that in mind, it is STILL entertaining! This is going to be a glorious trainwreck. :D
It just needs tone whiplash like Fractale.

trejo

firehawk12 said:
Although Seikon has a boy in drag, so that puts it at the top of his list I imagine. :lol
He could pretend Ohana is a boy in drag. Problem solved.

duckroll said:
C is amazing.

I'd been having trouble getting hyped for C but I think I'm ready now. Bring it on!

Geneijin

Ano Hana - 1
My interest in this rose 10x times.
Menma is a ghost.
I can see Menma's personality could easily break this show for some, but she doesn't bother me as much as Hideyoshi from Sengoku Otome. I think the OP beautifully sums up what to expect from this show, and I'm enjoying it very much.

duckroll said:
C is amazing.

Now I'm scared to watch it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
C is amazing.

Well this got me more interested than the staff jerking earlier. I'll give it a shot later then!

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
Look at all the TV cop shows that feature little girls being sexually assaulted or killed or whatever. There is always a parent willing to whore out their child for a shot at fame/money. Hell, the father of the girl from Slumdog Millionaire tried to sell her.

Asshole parents are universal.
Uh... aside from the questions to whether or not representation in the media is representative of real life, not what I meant. Parents bring their kids to overpriced Miley Cyrus concerts because the kids WANT to go. And those shows are basically overrun by those little girls and their parents because no one else in their right mind is going to these shows for the "music". Would a parent even want to be in the same cramped, sweaty place as all these otaku irregardless of their children? My guess is no.

Besides, what I'm talking about is target demographics. My position is that the target demographic for these K-On shows is otaku, which is interesting because the otaku are a culturally derided and niche demographic. Hell, I'd LOVE to see Houkago Tea Time play live. Just one thing: They don't exist and their music isn't played by the singers. And that really sorta sucks to me because there's alot of great musicianship in these songs. It's just a waste...

duckroll said:
C is amazing.

LOL

HypeGAF has failed once again it looks like.

Will still check after some time.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite Justice said:
LOL

HypeGAF has failed once again it looks like

Don't trust duckroll guys, I'm not even sure if he's a kenji nakamura fan, considering his post above.:p

flawfuls

Geneijin said:
Ano Hana - 1
My interest in this rose 10x times.
Menma is a ghost.
I can see Menma's personality could easily break this show for some, but she doesn't bother me as much as Hideyoshi from Sengoku Otome. I think the OP beautifully sums up what to expect from this show, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Ha I guessed the spoiler based on the trailer and description.

zeroshiki

WTF happened to the avatars?

So we're one step closer to becoming 2ch right? Next we're all gonna lose our handles and then we're gonna start arguing about whether the art director for Code Geass ep2 is better than the one for ep3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom