• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Gintama 202 & 203

Even though I didn't go through the pain of experiencing the 1 year break, that was one hell of a way to start the season, the rofl cakes were sooo good.

And now the reality of waiting for 1 episode every week begins. :(

Geneijin said:
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku - 2
Yeah, I'm dropping this. It isn't so much the censorship was as bad as the previous episode, but that there wasn't much to censor. What remained was a sex comedy (?) that still isn't engaging me with its exploits. The beginning of the episode had the MC unhooking a bra, which the God of Sex advised it's an essential skill to learn to do skillfully.
But then, it became known the little brother of the God of Sex was crossdressing after the MC refused to have sex with her. Uh what? Exactly. It didn't work for me.
On a random note, the mixer the MC was forced to go to or else his sex doll would be punished reminds me of the fat version of Hilda in Shadow Hearts 3. The point of the mixer apparently by the God of Sex was to invite the most unappealing women and advise him to ignore outward appearances and accept the inner beauty of people. When he did, they became more mildly attractive. Yeah, didn't work either for me. There was more to this episode like how the first potential lover/soulmate a virgin communicates with is deemed extra special in their eyes and how girls can setup AK (AT fields), but I wasn't laughing at much this episode.

http://i.imgur.com/b8Yis.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow I was going to check out the 2nd episode, to see if it actually turns into a sex comedy, but it looks like I shouldn't bother at all.

And wow does browsing Gaf feel wierd with no avatars at all. @_@

duckroll said:
In reality the difference between the two is a very fine line. :)

... I'll judge for myself then.

zeroshiki said:
WTF happened to the avatars?

So we're one step closer to becoming 2ch right? Next we're all gonna lose our handles and then we're gonna start arguing about whether the art director for Code Geass ep2 is better than the one for ep3.

And they're back. That was thankfully fast.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
In all seriousness from what duckroll described (and the director involved) I'm expecting the reaction to the show to be pretty polarizing here and everywhere else. I'm still hyped that it will be my thing though!

Plus you can't seriously evaluate a kenji nakamura show until you see the second episode first!

I don't know his post actually made me want to watch it.
Well it personally made me more anxious to watch it then i already am!

duckroll

I think I need to clarify that my comment was not about the difference between Trapeze and Code Geass. But rather the difference between how entertainment is perceived. Entertainment is entertainment. I don't believe that high brow and low brow stuff are automatically better or worse, nor is it impossible for high brow writing to have low brow execution, or vice versa.

Also, I'm deliberately not commenting on anything regarding C in specifics, because well, it's the sort of show that is better enjoyed if you have no idea what to expect going in. Lol.

flawfuls

duckroll said:
I think I need to clarify that my comment was not about the difference between Trapeze and Code Geass. But rather the difference between how entertainment is perceived. Entertainment is entertainment. I don't believe that high brow and low brow stuff are automatically better or worse, nor is it impossible for high brow writing to have low brow execution, or vice versa.

Also, I'm deliberately not commenting on anything regarding C in specifics, because well, it's the sort of show that is better enjoyed if you have no idea what to expect going in. Lol.

So are you calling C low brow? It has some over the top elements, but I wouldn't call it low brow.

iavi

I take a break from anime, and ultimately GAF, for a few days and I come back to find out that C is said to be shit? That's great. I was figuring that something that I was anticipating was going to be trash, for Hanasaku Iroha to have turned out so well.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Hrmmm... Vote! Which first episode should I start with?

Hanasaku Iroha
Seikon no Qwaser II
Kanon 2006
The World God Only Knows 2
Lotte no Omocha!
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
You haven't seen Lotte no Omocha yet?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
I take a break from anime, and ultimately GAF, for a few days and I come back to find out that C is said to be shit? That's great. I was figuring that something that I was anticipating was going to be trash, for Hanasaku Iroha to have turned out so well.
Only one person is saying bad stuff about it.

trejo

Miri said:
Who said it was shit?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miri said:
Let's not jump to conclusions here, it isn't confirmed to be shit yet.:)

flawfuls

C isn't bad, it's actually better than I was expecting given the meh trailers. What duckroll is saying isn't exactly wrong, but it's kind of misleading.

duckroll

flawfuls said:
C isn't bad, it's actually better than I was expecting given the meh trailers. What duckroll is saying isn't exactly wrong, but it's kind of misleading.

I don't think it's misleading at all! I think the reality is that C the show is exactly the same as what I have presented of it, in the sense that different people will take something differently out of it.

It is clearly an entertaining show which has hooks to make you want to watch more of it, but it's also a show designed to be as confusing and inconsistent as possible in terms of visual presentation and direction.

It clearly draws inspiration from various different sources, in a very diverse way.

The production values are also shockingly low for a noitaminA show, and a lot of the character and background art is plain bad.

And yet it is entertaining. I do not thing there will be many people watching the first episode who will not go "wut" at multiple points throughout the episode. But the question is, do you except the "wut" moments are good or bad? How is that defined? Every person has a different threshold for when "wut" can be used to just present something in a surprising and different way, and when "wut" becomes trolling and so-bad-it-is-good.

Which is C? I'll rather let other people decide for themselves instead of telling them what to think. I don't feel that I have misrepresented the show in any way whatsoever.

duckroll

icarus-daedelus said:
This would be the first time that ducky has ever misled anyone at GAF.

I have never misled anyone! I cannot be held accountable if people choose to interpret what I say wrongly.

iavi

duckroll said:

You.

Though, I really shouldn't gloss over a thread and build a basis against the show off of a a few jumpy impressions, and a horribly bad trailer. I feel myself wanting to do that, for some reason. Anyways, I'll watch it a bit later tonight. I've got a fucking pile of stuff waiting for me to wade through, so this should be fun.

Geneijin

flawfuls said:
Ha I guessed the spoiler based on the trailer and description.
But I didn't know! I was on a media blackout and only had the description to suffice.

Steroyd said:
Wow I was going to check out the 2nd episode, to see if it actually turns into a sex comedy, but it looks like I shouldn't bother at all.
It is a sex comedy, but the execution doesn't work for me. I say you should still give it a try if my comments gave you the impression of it becoming more like an instructional video.

duckroll said:
Masakaki
is an awesome character though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
C is amazing.

Take Death Note, Eden of the East, Persona 3, Code Geass, Yugioh, Beyblade, and some other random shit, put it all in a blender, add in really low production values, terrible character art, cheap animation, and awful background art.... and you'll get something like C ep1! Somehow, even with all that in mind, it is STILL entertaining! This is going to be a glorious trainwreck. :D

That basically sums up C episode 1 in a nutshell. It's a complete mishmash more than anything else.

duckroll

Miri said:
I glossed over your post, and took the initial "amazing" as sarcasm. A misread on my part.

Amazing can mean many things. There is nothing in the word itself which actually defines quality. That's why it's so useful!

C 1

zqF7h.jpg

Which was pretty much my reaction to the first episode of Trapeze as well. I can't figure out what to make of this. I see what duckroll was saying, but I think it's too early to declare it a trainwreck - it could go anywhere. I'll certainly keep watching, at least to find out more about Masakaki and this crazy Financial District. I love the ED.

Paprikka

Geneijin said:
Masakaki
is an awesome character though.
He reminds me a bit of the white top hat and suit dude from Blue Exorcist. Will definitely keep watching C so, if nothing else, I can figure out what I've already watched. And we should add a dash of Back to the Future in the mismash, it was all I could think of watching the car as it entered the financial district.

Lain

InfiniteNine said:
Hrmmm... Vote! Which first episode should I start with?

Hanasaku Iroha
Seikon no Qwaser II
Kanon 2006
The World God Only Knows 2
Lotte no Omocha!
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Battle Girls. Or Hanasaku Iroha.

duckroll

hosannainexcelsis said:
I see what duckroll was saying, but I think it's too early to declare it a trainwreck - it could go anywhere. I'll certainly keep watching, at least to find out more about Masakaki and this crazy Financial District. I love the ED.

A trainwreck also has many possible outcomes though. Everyone in it could end up trapped but still alive as the train catches fire after crashing into the woods, with no rescue in sight as everyone burns to death slowly and painfully. Everyone on the train could miraculously survive inside the train even after it crashes right into the town hall, making the journey the most exciting, unpredictable, and thrilling event of their lives. People could start jumping off the train slowly before it completely derails, and survive to watch the actual crash safely from the distance. Etc.

It could indeed go anywhere, but I think we can safely say that out of all the shows airing right now, C is one show which is basically off the rails right from the start of ep1!

duckroll said:
A trainwreck also has many possible outcomes though. Everyone in it could end up trapped but still alive as the train catches fire after crashing into the woods, with no rescue in sight as everyone burns to death slowly and painfully. Everyone on the train could miraculously survive inside the train even after it crashes right into the town hall, making the journey the most exciting, unpredictable, and thrilling event of their lives. People could start jumping off the train slowly before it completely derails, and survive to watch the actual crash safely from the distance. Etc.

It could indeed go anywhere, but I think we can safely say that out of all the shows airing right now, C is one show which is basically off the rails right from the start of ep1!

I had never thought about a trainwreck in that way before, but I suppose you are correct. C's a Kenji Nakamura show after all.

flawfuls

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call it a trainwreck, that would imply that it's unintentionally the way it is. A crazy version of Yugioh meets East of Eden may seem like a disaster, but it feels like Nakamura knows exactly where it's going. I also don't think it's unintentionally entertaining. Of course it's too early to judge one way or the other at this point. We will see what this show is really going to be like next episode.

Edit:

duckroll said:

Oh if that is your definition of a train wreck then never mind.

Steroyd

Geneijin said:
It is a sex comedy, but the execution doesn't work for me. I say you should still give it a try if my comments gave you the impression of it becoming more like an instructional video.

I didn't take your post in that way, basing off the first episode it felt like trying to watch a sex comedy before the watershed, your post doesn't sound like it's changed much in that regard for the 2nd ep.

The Money of Soul and Possibility Control - wow I just watched that, definitely an interesting idea. I'll keep watching it.

So now I have Enma-kun MeeraMeera, this, and that Harem anime to watch. :)

Mandoric

Banned
zeroshiki said:
WTF happened to the avatars?

So we're one step closer to becoming 2ch right? Next we're all gonna lose our handles and then we're gonna start arguing about whether the art director for Code Geass ep2 is better than the one for ep3.

this plz

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
            ∧ ∧
&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288; < &#65344;&#8704;´>
&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;/ &#12388;¶&#12388;¶
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#65295;&#65507;&#65507;&#65507;&#65507;&#65340;
&#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; |) &#9675;&#12288;&#9675;&#12288;&#9675; (|
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#65295;&#8243; &#12288;&#12288;&#38867;&#12288; &#12288; &#65340;
&#65288;(&#12288;((&#12288;(( &#12288;&#65295;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65340;&#12288;&#12288;
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#65507; &#65340;&#65343;&#65340;&#65343; _&#65295; &#65343;&#65295;

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
I think duckroll is thinking trainwreck in the Code Geass sense.

Which is awesomeness.

I think I should state for the record that I think Code Geass is clearly a bad show. I would not actually recommend it to anyone, but I was entertained by how progressively nonsensical and bad it got from episode to episode throughout both seasons.

I consider Code Geass the sort of train wreck where as a passenger, after the train initially derailed, my left arm got ripped off from the impact, and I managed to jump off and prevent severe blood loss before it killed me. Yet because I had many friends still on the train, my concern for them made be follow the train throughout the disaster, from a distance. Eventually the train crashed into a lake deep into the woods, and as I only had one arm and could not swim, I could only watch helplessly as they all drowned.

But yet I did not regret it because it was thrilling, and it was a learning experience. I carry the scars with me to this day, and the memories of those who did not make it out alive. I am who I am because of what I have gone through in life, and it is with that knowledge that I look towards the future.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
C 1 - Was fairly tame much like the first episode of trapeze and mononoke, I'm going haft to wait until the second episode till i can accurately judge the objective aspects of it.

But the show is definitely weird, in some ways it feels like a very typical shonen much like yu-gi-oh or something, but at the same time they are certain unconventional elements about it. (as expected form kenji nakamura), at this point i have no clear idea of what direction the story is going take, so I'm no doubt going be in for the long-haul.:lol

The visuals are definitely disappointing for a nakamura show, but i can see that particular aspect getting much better once it starts focusing on the other-world aspects, which from what I've seen is definitely the most visual appealing and stylish aspect of the show thus far.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288; &#8743; &#8743;
&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288; < &#65344;&#8704;´>
&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#12288;/ &#12388;¶&#12388;¶
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#65295;&#65507;&#65507;&#65507;&#65507;&#65340;
&#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; &#12288; |) &#9675;&#12288;&#9675;&#12288;&#9675; (|
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; &#12288;&#65295;&#8243; &#12288;&#12288;&#38867;&#12288; &#12288; &#65340;
&#65288;(&#12288;((&#12288;(( &#12288;&#65295;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65343;&#65340;&#12288;&#12288;
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#65507; &#65340;&#65343;&#65340;&#65343; _&#65295; &#65343;&#65295;

Is that... a Korean UFO?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I wonder if C is going be a deconstruction of the shonen battle genre much like Madoka was a deconstruction of the magical girl genre mmm.

Instro

duckroll said:
I think I should state for the record that I think Code Geass is clearly a bad show. I would not actually recommend it to anyone, but I was entertained by how progressively nonsensical and bad it got from episode to episode throughout both seasons.

I consider Code Geass the sort of train wreck where as a passenger, after the train initially derailed, my left arm got ripped off from the impact, and I managed to jump off and prevent severe blood loss before it killed me. Yet because I had many friends still on the train, my concern for them made be follow the train throughout the disaster, from a distance. Eventually the train crashed into a lake deep into the woods, and as I only had one arm and could not swim, I could only watch helplessly as they all drowned.

But yet I did not regret it because it was thrilling, and it was a learning experience. I carry the scars with me to this day, and the memories of those who did not make it out alive. I am who I am because of what I have gone through in life, and it is with that knowledge that I look towards the future.

Ok now read that back to yourself in the voice of Christopher Walken. Instant epic monologue!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
I wonder if C is going be a deconstruction of the shonen battle genre much like Madoka was a deconstruction of the magical girl genre mmm.
It looks too stupid/self-serious for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom