• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1

Well that was... something. Can't really tell if I like this or not. Alien girl is intriguing. I hope she's actually telling the truth and we get a School Days ending.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
You're just mad that I can enjoy mindless FUCK YEAH EXPLOSIONS AND BONER POWERS! and end up getting bored of meduka is suffering after a while. Besides, the editing and pacing of Hidan no Aria is just so much more enjoyable. DEEEEEEEEEP isn't always better.
You see you guys? This is what literary analysis does to a person.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dresden said:
Denpa's opening is really terrible.
No, it's fine (though the voice is kind of annoying). What IS terrible is the Hidan no Aria opening, and not terrible in a good way like the rest of the show.

flawfuls

Anohana

Well it's not quite as good as Iroha, but it's still pretty fantastic. It's probably going to be my second favourite show this season. I could see this ending up better than Iroha in the long run just it has a clear direction and doesn't have to stretch it out for as long.

The little girl is so annoying though. She really brings down the show for me. Not so much because of her character, but because of the fact that she never shuts up. Hopefully she will stop talking to people who can't hear her eventually.

Jex

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1

Well, this is clearly the SHAFT show with the animation budget, for what little good it will do for a show that is perhaps the quintessential "Shatf show about a Shaft concept staring a paradigm of moe".

It's not a very complicated or confusing piece by any means as it's largely what I expected based off the premise. Once we get past boring stuff like themes that have no bearing on the quality of the show we arrive at the real problem:
flawfuls said:
It was really really dialog heavily like Bakemonogatari, but the I thought writing was a lot worse than that so it just ended up being really slow and boring.
This is essentially the problem with the show and it highlights why you can't just knock up a Bakemonogatori clone, despite what that the detractors may claim. It felt like someone was trying to write Bakemonogatori dialogue without the talent to do so.

KtSlime

Jexhius said:
This is essentially the problem with the show and it highlights why you can't just knock up a Bakemonogatori clone, despite what that the detractors may claim. It felt like someone was trying to write Bakemonogatori dialogue without the talent to do so.

化け物が鳥? Birds are descendent from dinosaurs, but I wouldn't call them monsters.

Watched Enmakun, Iroha, and Nitijyou so far. Tried Sanjyuusai for a few minutes, but I gave up either because of my headache, or I didn't like the adaptation, or both. Will give it a try later.

Don't think I will spend too much time in this thread though, it goes too fast.

PS: I'm a sucker for girl anime, and so far Iroha does not disappoint - it's fantastic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
There were no monologues though. The only similarity is that dialog is decidedly deliberate because of their rhythm.

Denpa's dialogue did not completely bore me like Bakemonogatari's. Maybe I just like eccentric girls that think they were kidnapped by aliens more than kuuderes that think they're tsunderes.

Dresden

wqS0Ll.jpg

39 years old what?

Cardcaptor Sakura 07-09 - Syaoran is a jerk...

Also, more disturbing relationships! Why did they have to make the worst thing about the show so central, in every other way it's quite good... in these episodes, we see the 9/10 year old in love with her teacher. Alright, as long as nothing comes of it it's okay, right? But he blushes when he looks at her, not a good sign...

Also, it's in the next couple of episodes after these, but I was reminded that Sakura and Tomoyo are cousins. That makes Tomoyo's love for her somewhat incestuous, just great.

It was kind of funny, though, to see Syaroran blushing and also giving a gift to the guy Sakura likes (who, as was pointed out, is more interested in her brother than her, it seems); kind of an odd set of relationships there. :)

Geneijin said:
So you're agreeing with the article then?

IS was extremely 'eye-pleasing', supported by unnecessarily brilliant staffs involved, uselessly superb animation and meaninglessly excellent voice actress.

That cloak of shininess masqueraded how terribly generic Infinite Stratos was, and it was pleasant to watch because of it.
No, I was saying that I was thinking that because it has that shiny cloak on it, it does in fact have something not 100% generic about it. Everything underneath that cover is the most generic thing ever, certainly, but it does have that on top of it.

Yes, it's an amalgamation of generic cliches, but it's exactly why IS is so bad. The writing wasn't merely bad. It was nonexistent at times, and IS genuinely felt like puzzle pieces were being forced together, which has been apparent since Episode 2. It's why I eventually went on an offhand rant about some of the IS fans who read too deeply into the dialogue/script and created their own characterization from the lack of it if you remember it. Considering the standards and the proclivity of harem animes, where was the allusion Cecilia had fallen in love with Ichika? There was simply a skipped step in her development. Remember the shower scene at the end of Episode 2 when Cecilia develops love for Ichika? What was the dialogue? Something along the lines of what's this feeling in my heart. Boom. In Episode 3, it's automatically true love, and she's already assimilated into the harem. Is it worse than other harem animes? No. The problem with Cecilia's quick metamorphosis was the expectation we as the audience accepted this because we expected this as a cliche to happen, but there was no reason given in IS to assume this. IS literally ran on cliches, our bag of cliches, to fulfill what it lacked, and it was so easy to watch IS and criticize it later because we already knew it would be bad, which is another point in the article. IS goes beyond bad writing.
All entirely true, and so much more... I commented many times during the series about how often from one episode to the next things would change so much off screen between the episodes that it almost felt like an entirely different series every time... "continuity that makes sense" was a dirty word in writing that script or something. :) That kind of became part of the charm though, seeing how horribly, nonsensically badly things would go... :D

And yes, you're absolutely right that it relies heavily on outside knowledge to make any sense whatsoever. If you don't know the tropes and don't know what to expect, because the show fails to explain or justify so many things, you'd be lost... why does Cecilia love him? Why does he end up with Houki? Etc, etc. None of it is explained at all in the series, only the viewer's knowledge of harem-show cliches give the answers. Even by harem show standards, that's uncommonly bad writing, definitely. :)

firehawk12 said:
Is it actually good science fiction? I remember talk about how one of the episodes was an homage to an old American SF series but the harem hijinks seem kind of bleah.
And she represents the entire dog race!
No. Asobi no Iku Yo was horrible, atrociously generic harem junk. I stopped watching after one episode.

I may like cats and dislike dogs, but between Dog Days an Asobi no Iku Yo, Dog Days is probably better (based on one episode of each).

Extollere said:
Planetes 6

I thought this was supposed to be a realistic show about space or something... why then, am I watching a show about lonely space ninjas, grown men surviving violent encounters with wrecking balls, and vigilante parachute rescue squads

http://sadpanda.us/images/437687-WNYAGS0.jpg

Honestly, do I have to be reminded that I'm watching an anime? I'm gonna pretend this episode never happened....

Yeah, through the first twelve episodes or so that is by far the worst one. It was just painfully bad...

icarus-daedelus said:
It doesn't have to be an anime avatar, just anything that's distinct enough to make you recognizable for those (unlike moi) who can't tell you apart by the tenor and length of your posts.
Certainly true, an avatar can be almost anything.

Jexhius said:
The otaku would mount a revolt on the headquarters of KyotoAnimation. There would be pitchforks, burning torches and siege weaponry on a scale not scene since the Punic war.

By which I mean they'd crash the internet.
Yes, and because the otaku are pretty much the entire reason why the series exists as it does, they'll never, ever be so bold as to do anything to anger them. Expect no males in sight while they're in college, just like in high school.

KtSlime

cosmicblizzard said:
Denpa's dialogue did not completely bore me like Bakemonogatari's. Maybe I just like eccentric girls that think they were kidnapped by aliens more than kuuderes that think they're tsunderes.

You using subs, dubs, or raws? Cause I think the wordplay in Bakemonogatari doesn't really translate all that well, but is VERY hilarious (to me). The text fucked my mind though, had to rematch it, I'm not used to my okurigana being written in katakana, and I am not used to some of the older characters.

trejo: Agreed, I would not associate them at all, they are their own separate shows, with their own style/story.

Geneijin

Joule said:
Blargh let's try that again Though I'm pretty sure everyone who's watched Dog Days 2 already knows what I'm linking.
Only because she got that pose near the end, but Kirino is a tsundere so it cancels out.

Lafiel said:
Think one reason i like hanasaku iroha more (outside of the technical aspects like direction etc) is there's actually a stronger sense of humor in it, the closet thing to comic relief in AnoHana is Menma, and i don't find her antics to be that amusing!
She's not the closest thing to being the comic relief: she is the main comic relief. Which is why I think this is going to be some heavy drama although it looks like
Poppo
might be the other comic relief, so I could be entirely wrong.
Yabitomi's depression, a childhood crush between Naruko and Yabitomi, an love triangle between Yukitatsu (?), Yabitomi, and Menma, "the tomorrow that never came," etc - it reeks of heavy drama.
Yeah, predictable but I'm loving it and will continue to do so if they carry it out right. Besides,
they might explain why Menma appears as a mature version of herself rather than as a kid.
I guess I'm a sucker for anime like AnoHana.

firehawk12 said:
Aroo?!

Well, I'm gonna watch this thing tomorrow anyway.
Where there's smoke, there's fire.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Is it actually good science fiction? I remember talk about how one of the episodes was an homage to an old American SF series but the harem hijinks seem kind of bleah.
And she represents the entire dog race!
I know you watched it because I remember ranting over how that "obscure old American SF series" was not just some old obscure American sci-fi mag but also a not so obscure but still rather old anime in Japan. Fuck yes I remember, mAcOdIn never forgets. It was really popular in Germany when I lived there, used to watch Captain Future all the fucking time after school.

ivedoneyourmom said:
You using subs, dubs, or raws? Cause I think the wordplay in Bakemonogatari doesn't really translate all that well, but is VERY hilarious (to me). The text fucked my mind though, had to rematch it, I'm not used to my okurigana being written in katakana, and I am not used to some of the older characters.

trejo: Agreed, I would not associate them at all, they are their own separate shows, with their own style/story.

Saw it with subs, but I doubt it would make much of a difference. I just didn't care at all what they were talking about even if they were throwing in some puns in here and there.

Dresden

So the new chapter of that new K-ON: College Bohemia edition is out, and it's K-ON. Like, the exact same damn thing, no boys, no booze, nothing. There's even a replacement for Azusa that Yui can fondle. What a surprise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
I know you watched it because I remember ranting over how that "obscure old American SF series" was not just some old obscure American sci-fi mag but also a not so obscure but still rather old anime in Japan. Fuck yes I remember, mAcOdIn never forgets. It was really popular in Germany when I lived there, used to watch Captain Future all the fucking time after school.
Yeah, I remember that exchange but not watching the show. So weird. :lol

mAcOdIn said:
What the fuck? Why am I the furry of the board?

Wolves>Dogs>Cats

But in Dog Days Cats are better but that's the only exception.
The definitive answer.

Dresden said:
wqS0Ll.jpg

39 years old what?
Oh yeah, what the heck is "gap moe" anyway?

Dresden said:
So the new chapter of that new K-ON: College Bohemia edition is out, and it's K-ON. Like, the exact same damn thing, no boys, no booze, nothing. There's even a replacement for Azusa that Yui can fondle.
Of course. I expect it'll stay that way throughout, too, unfortunately, unless the author wants to sabotage the series' popularity...

Geneijin

Dresden said:
So the new chapter of that new K-ON: College Bohemia edition is out, and it's K-ON. Like, the exact same damn thing, no boys, no booze, nothing. There's even a replacement for Azusa that Yui can fondle.
She's tsundere though. An inadequate replacement.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Oh yeah, what the heck is "gap moe" anyway?
googled:
“Gap moe” is a new term on me, but it seems to refer to a contradiction in exhibited characteristics that people find cutely attactive in the opposite sex. goo Ranking has a look at moments where people feel “gap moe”, with women on men’s gap moe and men on women’s gap moe.
Demographics

On the 19th of November 2009 1,166 members of the goo Research monitor group completed a private internet-based questionnaire. 59.9% of the sample were female, 13.4% in their teens, 20.6% in their twenties, 28.2% in their thirties, 23.2% in their forties, 8.3% in their fifties, and 6.3% aged sixty or older.

I cannot really think of anything fitting to add to this survey…
Ranking result

Q: What men’s actions cause a gap moe feeling? (Sample size=698, women)
Rank Score
1 A cool and tough guy with a whimsical smile 100
2 When a guy who seems to play the field earnestly discusses relationship issues 56.9
3 Glasses on a guy who usually wears contact lenses 51.0
4 Emoji in an email from a cool guy 42.3
5 A dandy who likes sweet desserts 42.1
6= A tough guy’s trembling voice 33.8
6= A cool guy’s tears 33.8
8 An unreliable guy’s abrupt decision 29.5
9 A country accent in a guy who looks like a city kid 27.2
10 A thin guy stuffing his face 26.7
Q: What women’s actions cause a gap moe feeling? (Sample size=468, men)
Rank Score
1 A girl who usually wears trousers in a skirt 100
2 Glasses on a girl who usually wears contact lenses 80.8
3 A cool and tough girl with a whimsical smile 65.8
4 When a girl who seems to play the field earnestly discusses relationship issues 51.7
5 A cool girl’s tears 46.7
6 Emoji in an email from a cool girl 39.2
7 A staid girl’s one-liner joke 35.8
8 A tough girl’s trembling voice 29.2
9 An unreliable girl’s abrupt decision 24.2
10 A thin girl stuffing her face 23.3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
So the new chapter of that new K-ON: College Bohemia edition is out, and it's K-ON. Like, the exact same damn thing, no boys, no booze, nothing. There's even a replacement for Azusa that Yui can fondle. What a surprise.
So this is when I join the K-On hater brigade?

trejo

Dresden said:
Well, of course. Was anyone expecting anything else? These chicks are going to die virgins.

KtSlime

flawfuls said:
They both have a ton of dialog, that's pretty much it.

If that's the only requirement, might as well include Suzumiya Haruhi which had every waking second filled by Kyon's continual ass-hat commentary.

cosmicblizzard: Yeah, it's dialog is pretty, intense to say the least, personally I think it pays off - especially in contrast to the written that is flashed, but I have a pretty strong grasp of the language and can totally see how many of the puns would fail to come through.

Dresden

K-ON: Mechapocalypse. Talk about a wasted opportunity.

firehawk12 said:
So this is when I join the K-On hater brigade?
You may as well, there won't be a lot of opportunities for moeno no aware moments.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
A Black Falcon said:
Yes, and because the otaku are pretty much the entire reason why the series exists as it does, they'll never, ever be so bold as to do anything to anger them. Expect no males in sight while they're in college, just like in high school.
Then they're pussies. And they deserve my unending scorn for turning what was a GREAT high school band comedy into a college band comedy that acts like a high school band comedy. It's a shame too, since the music is damned good...

And speaking of music, I listened to the Denpa OP a couple more times and it's really grown on me. The just flat vocals with that out of place reverb really makes it feel like something I'd find at an indie live show in NYC or something. It's... comforting.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
There were no monologues though. The only similarity is that dialog is decidedly deliberate because of their rhythm.
trejo said:
I don't know, I'm not really seeing the comparisons between Bakemono and Denpa. Like, at all.
If you see no similarities between the style of writing I'd say you aren't looking very closely. I'm not claiming that they're identical, just similar in places.

Ano[Long title] Hana 1

Well it's easily the second best show I've seen this season, although I do have a pet-peeve about people talking to people who aren't there.

The OP is gloriously mono-no-aware.

trejo

Jexhius said:
If you see no similarities between the style of writting I'd say you aren't looking very closely. I'm not claiming that they're identical, just similar in places.
That's kinda weak. If I have to actively look for it might as well compare it to anything else that is dialogue heavy as well, don't you think?

Sket Dance 2

This show is settling into a solid rhythm. The manga-esque gags generally work and, even if they don't, they come at such a fast pace that it's not too much a problem. The 3 members of Sket-dan are great, especially Switch. (He's awesome!) I can sense this will be an uneven show - already I didn't like this episode quite as much as the first - but it should be enjoyable and amusing enough overall to make it worth keeping up with.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
No, I was saying that I was thinking that because it has that shiny cloak on it, it does in fact have something not 100% generic about it. Everything underneath that cover is the most generic thing ever, certainly, but it does have that on top of it.
Ah, gotcha. But I think the bad writing outweighs the production values enough to say it is pretty generic although we disagree obviously.

All entirely true, and so much more... I commented many times during the series about how often from one episode to the next things would change so much off screen between the episodes that it almost felt like an entirely different series every time... "continuity that makes sense" was a dirty word in writing that script or something. :) That kind of became part of the charm though, seeing how horribly, nonsensically badly things would go... :D

And yes, you're absolutely right that it relies heavily on outside knowledge to make any sense whatsoever. If you don't know the tropes and don't know what to expect, because the show fails to explain or justify so many things, you'd be lost... why does Cecilia love him? Why does he end up with Houki? Etc, etc. None of it is explained at all in the series, only the viewer's knowledge of harem-show cliches give the answers. Even by harem show standards, that's uncommonly bad writing, definitely. :)
It's a cause for grievance with how often they resorted to it though. The pacing was brisk but there was no sense of pace at all because there was a lack of any true development. From character relationships to plot, they glossed over it almost completely. Maybe everything but I don't remember enough to say it's entirely true.

Yeah, this level of bad writing will happen traditionally in harem animes. It's expected of the genre. But has there been a harem anime which has gone through so many cliches and was literally fueled by them yet achieved nothing?

Jex

trejo said:
That's kinda weak. If I have to actively look for it might as well compare it to anything else that is dialogue heavy as well, don't you think?
I don't have to look for it because it instantly registers in my brain, but then again I did just watch Bake Episode 1 quite recently.

I certainly don't think it's similar to other dialogue heavy shows either. It's hardly like the dialogue from Ghost in the Shell or Mouryou no hako, so I don't feel that it's a particularly weak claim.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
If you see no similarities between the style of writing I'd say you aren't looking very closely. I'm not claiming that they're identical, just similar in places.
I'm not saying there aren't similarities, but that it's not as monologue-rific as Bakemono. It's not the writing that makes the dialog similar, but the delivery.

Man, need to stay up now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ano[Long title] Hana 1

Well it's easily the second best show I've seen this season, although I do have a pet-peeve about people talking to people who aren't there.

Speaking of which have you even seen Dororon enma-kun yet? i don't recall seeing any impressions from you!

For me that's probably the second best show I've seen this season, with AnoHana coming up in third place, C also has potential to take second or third (or maybe first) once the plot starts rolling.

Dresden

If anything is similar between Denpa and Bake it's that the conversations are mostly extended boke and tsukkomi* routines. One sets up the joke and the other, the straight man, plays off of it. Arararararagi and the Denpa-dude plays that latter role.

I should finish the episode but glorious DWM authors are calling to me.

*I'm going by the tvtropes description, yo.

e: holy fucking shit new Dororon Enma.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
And speaking of music, I listened to the Denpa OP a couple more times and it's really grown on me. The just flat vocals with that out of place reverb really makes it feel like something I'd find at an indie live show in NYC or something. It's... comforting.

And the transition to joke character is complete...

trejo

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi 1

That little brother is moé as fuck. There's nothing else striking about the show apart from that though the part where the main character gets emasculated due to the size of his penis got a smirk out of me.

Really doubt I'll be sticking with this.

Branduil

Dresden said:
Why do something interesting when you can do something profitable?

Jex

Man, I'm going to have to open up word and start pulling direct quotes to back up my claim. Not that it's a great hardship to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom