• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Man, I'm going to have to open up word and start pulling direct quotes to back up my claim. Not that it's a great hardship to do so.
I'm also gonna need screenshots. No reason.

Dresden

imMbqS.gif

I am so ready for this. HIKARI NI NARE!

trejo

jman2050 said:
This thread is starting to get snippy. Quick, have I9 make anime sketches of GAF members to lighten the mood!
We could always engage in a friendly round of Key bashing if worse comes to worst.

Jex

This is starting to get ridiculous. These are the shows I'm currently watching this season:

Steins;Gate
Kaiji S2
Dororon
[C]
Ano Hana
Tiger and Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
Fireball Charming
X-Men
Toriko

as well as

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san
Sket Dance
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Although there's a high probability I'll drop the last three. Either way, it's a mad season.

Hopefully some of the good shows will fall to pieces after a few episodes and I'll have less to keep up with.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
A Black Falcon said:
Of course. I expect it'll stay that way throughout, too, unfortunately, unless the author wants to sabotage the series' popularity...
He should do it, if only to prove himself a man. Bring it in carefully, out of the blue, a casual mention. "Hey, Mio, lets go out for ice cream or something!" "Sorry Ritsu, Yuiichi wants to go out to a movie." *insert relationship character gag here* or something like that, and watch the otaku boil over, but on a delay. Just long enough to make a strip about how dumb the otaku were for assuming they'd never see anything male their age evar.

Branduil said:
And the transition to joke character is complete...
STFU uncultured swine. And it makes sense now, turns out the song was produced by a Japanese indie band. Been listening to some of their stuff and they have that same off-kilter Japanese punk edge. Good stuff. The use of the vocal effects are pretty solid and mixes well to provide a more electronica style sound. Great mix of sound.

Jex

Dresden said:
Jesus, will this loli ever shut up in AnoHana?
No.
doomed1 said:
And speaking of music, I listened to the Denpa OP a couple more times and it's really grown on me. The just flat vocals with that out of place reverb really makes it feel like something I'd find at an indie live show in NYC or something. It's... comforting.
Dear god. It's awful!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm watching

Dororon enma-kun
C
X-men
Hanasaku iroha
Nichijou
Tiger and bunny
Anohana

Dropped so far

Steins;gate

Will be watching

Kaiji S2 (when i finish S1)
Moshidora (when it airs)

Amusingly with the exception of Nichijou and Tiger and bunny. I'm actually excited to watch new episodes of these every week!

hellclerk

Jexhius said:
Dear god. It's awful!
Your monocle lies Jexhius. A Tru Monocle(tm) would celebrate the off-kilter indie style of the song as avant garde and a fresh breath from the mindless mainstream J-pop or J-rock that shows up all over most anime. I am disappoint.

Mai-Hime 19

Yes, fall even further into the pits of despair!

Jexhius said:
This is starting to get ridiculous. These are the shows I'm currently watching this season:

Steins;Gate
Kaiji S2
Dororon
[C]
Ano Hana
Tiger and Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
Fireball Charming
X-Men
Toriko

You realize Toriko is a battle shonen in the same hour time slot as One Piece, right? Gonna be going for a while unless the ratings take a nose dive. Might want to drop it now unless you want to take a chance with an actual series like this.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
You realize Toriko is a battle shonen in the same hour time slot as One Piece, right? Gonna be going for a while unless the ratings take a nose dive.
Well it's better then getting involved at episode 490 whatever, right?

Dresden

My Last Day -Jesus Animu-

bout 7 years ago, in Budapest, a few of us brainstormed an idea for creating a version of Jesus' story in Japanese "Anime" form. We convinced former Disney animator, Barry Cooke and worked for years to massage various scripts, music and concepts. HERE IT IS!

At one point it was the story of Jesus meeting the "Demoniac." Eventually, we decided the first story would be about Jesus' death and resurrection.

This story unfolds through the eyes of a criminal who receives the same brutal crucifixion sentence as Christ. "My Last Day" is a short film of regret, repentance and redemption. Animé created by The JESUS Film Project, with Barry Cook and Studio 4C (株式会社スタジオよんどしい Kabushiki-Gaisha Sutajio Yondo Shii). They created Animatrix, Tekkon Kinkreet and Gotham Knight.

Hopefully this will be the first of many short stories of Jesus' life. Thank you all for the years of prayer.

So they got 4c to do it? Could be interesting.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
He should do it, if only to prove himself a man. Bring it in carefully, out of the blue, a casual mention. "Hey, Mio, lets go out for ice cream or something!" "Sorry Ritsu, Yuiichi wants to go out to a movie." *insert relationship character gag here* or something like that, and watch the otaku boil over, but on a delay. Just long enough to make a strip about how dumb the otaku were for assuming they'd never see anything male their age evar.

STFU uncultured swine. And it makes sense now, turns out the song was produced by a Japanese indie band. Been listening to some of their stuff and they have that same off-kilter Japanese punk edge. Good stuff. The use of the vocal effects are pretty solid and mixes well to provide a more electronica style sound. Great mix of sound.

Nekomimi Mode had hipster roots too. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
So they got 4c to do it? Could be interesting.
Jesus film project? Huh. Given that the studio is just animating the story though, I'm not sure if these will be any more than just fancy looking Veggie Tales.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Now I want a Saint Young Men anime.
Instead you'll get an Arakawa live-action movie.

firehawk12 said:
Jesus film project? Huh. Given that the studio is just animating the story though, I'm not sure if these will be any more than just fancy looking Veggie Tales.
Judging from the minute or so of what I watched, it's more like that Mel Gibson movie about the dude on the cross.

trejo said:
We could always engage in a friendly round of Key bashing if worse comes to worst.

I'd never let that get too friendly.

doomed1 said:
Your monocle lies Jexhius. A Tru Monocle(tm) would celebrate the off-kilter indie style of the song as avant garde and a fresh breath from the mindless mainstream J-pop or J-rock that shows up all over most anime. I am disappoint.

Bad musicians don't make a song avant-garde. There's ways to make music outside the mainstream that don't involve putting a terrible singer who can't sing on pitch in front of muddy instrumentation and boring rhythm and harmony. Unless it's intentionally ironic - but that still doesn't make it worth listening to.

Geneijin

trejo said:
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi 1

That little brother is moé as fuck. There's nothing else striking about the show apart from that though the part where the main character gets emasculated due to the size of his penis got a smirk out of me.

Really doubt I'll be sticking with this.
He's the only good thing about the show. Bail out while you can :lol

Z26Fz.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
(I promise I won't use images anymore. :p)

AnoHana blahblahblah 1: For me, this will be fighting with Hanasaku Iroha as the best show of the season. It's a nostalgia bomb waiting to explode into, as Lafiel surmises, mono no aware goodness. At least, I'm hoping it goes that way anyhow. I could see them going the other way as well (although I'm not sure how, short of the show becoming wacky later on).

Generally I ignore text on screen, especially since I have to think about it when it comes to Japanese, but the way they used them was just a bit too on the nose to ignore:

XiBmVl.jpg

Underground person - the meaning should be obvious, I suppose.

aExT6l.jpg

West East (although I assume those carrot thingies are Japanese for something) - I'm assuming it's meant to evoke separation.

2s52zl.jpg

A suicide prevention sign, which was helpfully translated. The way it was framed was both neat and hitting you over the head as well.

Given how I was mostly disappointed with the early parts of Wandering Son, perhaps not knowing anything about the source text is for the best. I have no adaptation anxiety and I'm just willing to go with it.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'd go see fancy looking Veggie Tales. At any rate, it'll probably be better than the last anime project about Jesus.
Wow, was that made to proselytize to Japanese audiences?
And, let's just call Eva a Christian anime and leave it at that!

Also, Branduil x doomed1 is now my favourite pairing of the anime thread.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I honestly feel so happy for my own personal tastes there's at least 3 character-driven dramas this year in anime (wandering son, iroha, anohana) and with a another one to look forward to next season (bunny drop).

The only thing that would make this year better for those kind of shows is if wandering son were given a full 22-episode run, although if it did we might have not gotten ano hana!

zeroshiki

I can't believe that the cheapest Holo figure is 12k ($120) yen and the nice ones are 30-40k ($300-$400).

WTF

I am literally kicking myself for not getting in on any of them.

Dresden

AnoHana is good. Too early to see if it's better or whatever than some other random show this season but the first episode is good stuff.

I do feel sad that there's a shortage of hot-blooded manly action shows this season. Where's the blood, the gore, the explosions? All this steady stream of dramas is bound to emasculate me.

So guys, I just finished Mushi-shi. I thought it was overall quite enjoyable but I was disappointed in the lack of closure at the end
even though I'm not exactly sure what they could "close."
What should I undertake next?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
I honestly feel so happy for my own personal tastes there's at least 3 character-driven dramas this year in anime (wandering son, iroha, anohana) and with a another one to look forward to next season (bunny drop).

The only thing that would make this year better for those kind of shows is if wandering son were given a full 22-episode run, although if it did we might have not gotten ano hana!
I'm right with you. Although, I figure a 22 episode run of Wandering Son would have bankrupted whoever made it given the market these days. I wonder who they had to kill to get an extra episode (that never aired, of course).

Honestly, all I really would want now is a good, serious adult anime. In my dream world, there's some Japanese director who has seen The Wire and wants to make an anime adaptation set in Kyoto or Osaka or something.

Dresden said:
AnoHana is good. Too early to see if it's better or whatever than some other random show this season but the first episode is good stuff.

I do feel sad that there's a shortage of hot-blooded manly action shows this season. Where's the blood, the gore, the explosions? All this steady stream of dramas is bound to emasculate me.
I thought you had Dog Dayz and Kaiji?

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I'm right with you. Although, I figure a 22 episode run of Wandering Son would have bankrupted whoever made it given the market these days. I wonder who they had to kill to get an extra episode (that never aired, of course).

Honestly, all I really would want now is a good, serious adult anime. In my dream world, there's some Japanese director who has seen The Wire and wants to make an anime adaptation set in Kyoto or Osaka or something.

Nobody'd watch it. This is the same reason there's no hardcore military anime. There's no audience for it.

trejo

AnoHana 1

"And on top of that, why did you appear as a mature version of yourself?" lolwut?

That was pretty damn good other than the incessant loli ramblings but I can see those being toned down later on. I'm really interested in most of these characters, the twin-tailed girl specially so. I'd say I'm still on the Iroha faction but I see no reason not to play both sides, like a double agent, if you will.

It's a good season for drama, this one. Hell, it's a good season for pretty much everything. It's kinda daunting how many shows I'm liking thus far.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:

I thought you had Dog Dayz and Kaiji?
Dawg Dayz is just a trite diversion, nothing more. I do have Kaiji but it's more moe than anything else.

hellclerk

hosannainexcelsis said:
Bad musicians don't make a song avant-garde. There's ways to make music outside the mainstream that don't involve putting a terrible singer who can't sing on pitch in front of muddy instrumentation and boring rhythm and harmony. Unless it's intentionally ironic - but that still doesn't make it worth listening to.
Dissonant styles aren't uncommon and a few are famous for them. It's a manner of expressing something that "normal" music can't. It's just not often you hear something sung this legato in such a high pitch, so I can see how it would annoy, but the vocal style was done by design. I think the song fits the show really well, personally, especially with how SparklesInMoonlight speaks, and the lyrics more or less are about the MC being the only one who bothers to talk to the blue haired pariah. I'm sorry all music can't be a Hallelujah Chorus to your ears.

Branduil said:
Because it sounds like a cat being rubbed against a cheese grater?

Only hipsters claim hipsters don't exist.
And it takes one to know one ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Nobody'd watch it. This is the same reason there's no hardcore military anime. There's no audience for it.
I know. :(

Which makes no sense since the Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku are half way there and they seem to sell well to the nerds.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The thing about that is with how cheaply they make anime, television shows and films and whatnot, a serious adult drama with ambition on-par with the wire is fairly unfeasible, there's always manga for something like that (possibly). I remember hearing about a serious gritty police manga that went on for over 15-20+ volumes or something, forgot what the name was though.

trejo

Branduil and doomed1 should just go have some angry sex and be done with it.

Jexhius said:
There are still un-aired shows? MADNESS.
I don't think that one's from this season, is it?

Oh, it is. Damn, what is up with this season?

Dresden

With the kind of market that exists for anime, I don't think we they deserve something like The Wire. No one would watch it so I guess it kinda solves itself.

firehawk12 said:
Which makes no sense since the Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku are half way there and they seem to sell well to the nerds.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those games do indulge the kind of power-fantasies that nerds obsess over.

Mac x ABF
doomed1 x Branduil

What other animu-gaf pairings are there?

Fake e: Well that's a hell of a post to start the page with :lol

trejo said:
.I don't think that one's from this season, is it?

Deadman Wonderland? Yeah it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
The thing about that is with how cheaply they make anime, television shows and films and whatnot, a serious adult drama with ambition on-par with the wire is fairly unfeasible, there's always manga for something like that (possibly). I remember hearing about a serious gritty police manga that went on for over 15-20+ volumes or something, forgot what the name was though.
I dunno, wouldn't it be cheaper since they could pretty much draw anything they wanted in order to recreate a gritty night life full of shady crime and Yakuza running around?

Those Yakuza games probably cost Sega nothing at this point. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom