• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

A-Channel - 2
No way this like K-On. It's definitely a worse version of Lucky Star. Episode 2 makes this more painfully obvious.

Clumsier Tsukasa forgot to put on both pair of socks
and her panties too.

Edit: That's a lot of yuri. Immensely.

firehawk12 said:
Given how I was mostly disappointed with the early parts of Wandering Son, perhaps not knowing anything about the source text is for the best. I have no adaptation anxiety and I'm just willing to go with it.
It's the best way to watch. My exceedingly high expectations ruined some of my enjoyment of Broken Blade.

Fallen_Hero said:
So guys, I just finished Mushi-shi. I thought it was overall quite enjoyable but I was disappointed in the lack of closure at the end
even though I'm not exactly sure what they could "close."
What should I undertake next?
What else have you watched and enjoyed? Are you looking for something similar to Mushishi or a general recommendation?

Jexhius said:
There are still un-aired shows? MADNESS.
Moshidora.

Had to say it since no one else will!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Damn. I keep forgetting that one! Mioshidora will be the animu of the season!

Or would that be Moeshidora? I can't keep up with the puns.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Damn. I keep forgetting that one! Mioshidora will be the animu of the season!

Or would that be Moeshidora? I can't keep up with the puns.
Best thing about Moshidora is consecutively aired episodes. Yay!

And it's probably Moeshidora.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Best thing about Moshidora is consecutively aired episodes. Yay!

And it's probably Moeshidora.
Mioeshidora works!

zeroshiki said:
The seme-uke pairing right?
Oh right, because he's on top of me...
on that list
. :p

Dresden said:
With the kind of market that exists for anime, I don't think we they deserve something like The Wire. No one would watch it so I guess it kinda solves itself.
I wonder if The Wire has made it over to The Great Asia and what people there think of it actually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those games do indulge the kind of power-fantasies that nerds obsess over.
Not quite. At least, I get more of a Asian Machismo/John Woo vibe from them more than anything else. It's not about power, but about honour and manliness.

trejo

It's as if someone made a contract with a shady but otherwise seemingly harmless creature in exchange for an absolutely stacked season for once.

Jex

trejo said:
It's as if someone made a contract with a shady but otherwise seemingly harmless creature in exchange for an absolutely stacked season for once.
It had to happen sometime, right?

zeroshiki

trejo said:

Let's enjoy it while we can. The next one seems like its gonna suck really badly.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Let's enjoy it while we can. The next one seems like its gonna suck really badly.
no u

There's good shows scheduled for Summer. Personally I think Winter is going to be filled with shit.

---

Anyways, clearly the best show this season:

MkKKEl.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
For what's it worth in comparison to the last summer season, it at least is going have something redeemable (bunny drop, natsume s3) if everything else of note sucks.

Branduil

Dresden said:
Remember infinite-luka-icecream?

Why does that guy just stand there and take that? I preferred how Keiichi in Higurashi dealt with the crazy women.
Even though he was hallucinating and he was actually the crazy one.

Jex

Oh yeah, just to clarify what I was rambling on about before.

I’m talking about a specific habit both shows have, which is so to name drop anime/otaku references into their dialogue structure. Both shows draw attention to the fact that they’re doing it too.
“I’m Touwa Meme!”
“What a strange name. A popular name, or the name of a palette swapped character.”
“It’s my real name. It’s okay to call me JoJo too.”
This little exchange neatly references both ‘memes’, anime/video game characters and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure directly. It certainly helps that the actual delivery of these lines is carried out in a very ‘anime’ manner, with exaggerated gesturing and voice emphasis.

Meanwhile in Bake we get:
“Oshino Meme? His name sounds pretty moe.
“Getting your hopes up is pointless. He’s really some 30 year old guy.”
“I see. But he was a moe character when he was small, right?”
“Don’t look at someone 3D like that!”.
Denpa takes another run at throwing in otaku references -
“Doesn’t it fit me? I tried pulling off the “gap moe” character.” You know, the kind which makes you go “Moe!”
Making a direct and over reference to otaku culture, check two!

Meanwhile in Bake we get:
Those terms are basic knowledge. I guess my character is what people call “tsundere”, right?
Back to Denpa:
“An alien fangirl? Is she from the generation hit by the MMR vaccine?”
Both the content of this comment (linking thoughts about a character to some real-world event) and the nature of the delivery (it’s delivered to the audience, rather than to any other character) are reminiscent of how Araragi would make some side-comment about a particularly ‘wacky’ situation. For example, Araragi delivers this aside to the camera -
“You character would be called a ‘tsundra’.
Of course they can't be overly similar, because one of them is entertaining.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
For what's it worth in comparison to the last season, it at least is going have something redeemable (bunny drop, natsume s3) if everything else of note sucks.

Plus the 2nd half of Iroha!

This season legitimately has 3 shows I'm excited to watch (maybe more!). That hasn't happened in a long loooong time.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
But I figure I should ask the inevitable question. Which is better, dog girls or cat girls?

Holo > Cat Girls > Dog Girls

cosmicblizzard said:
A dog didn't try to claw my eyes out last year. In fact, one even came up to me and licked the wound that little fucker caused. Dogs are nicest animals ever.

How nice of that dog that used that tongue to lick it's own balls to lick you.

Dresden

Branduil said:
Why does that guy just stand there and take that? I preferred how Keiichi in Higurashi dealt with the crazy women.
Even though he was hallucinating and he was actually the crazy one.
Her hands make things rot, and she was holding his... mom (yeah, that midget in the lower panel)... hostage.

trejo said:
Now that is art.
It really is. Episode 2 is wonderful stuff.

Rektash

Just watched AoiHana and Denpa onna to evaluate if they will be worth watching when finished. Denpa looks okayish, will give it a fair try when finished. AoiHana was totally awesome and easily the most promising first ep of this season for me. Seriously pulled on my heartstrings. Man this season looks beastly, haven't been this excited for a long time.

Jex

trejo said:
Oh come on, Bakemono isn't so bad.
I knew leaving it ambiguous would end like this!
trejo said:
Where are my screenshots?
Just imagine every shot uses that low-angle, high-contrast SHAFT look, unless they happen to contain fanservice.

Geneijin

Rektash said:
Just watched AoiHana and Denpa onno to evaluate if they will be worth watching when finished. Denpa looks okayish, will give it a fair try when finished. AoiHana was totally awesome and easily the most promising first ep of this season for me. Seriously pulled on my heartstrings. Man this season looks beastly, haven't been this excited for a long time.
More promising than Hanasaku Iroha?

trejo

Hidan no Aria 1

In the first couple of minutes a high school boy on a bike is being chased by an unmaned Segway with a mounted machine gun. A Kugimiya-voiced loli parachutes down a building and shoots the Segway off the road. The guy exclaims his bicycle is rigged with a bomb at which point the now upside down loli spouts some nonsense and whisks him off his death trap before it explodes dramatically. Cue OP.

D-do I want to keep watching? I honestly do not know.

Dresden

Rektash said:
I am pretty much in both camps. I don't see a problem there since both shows seem to have their own merit.
Nonono, you need to take a side in this meaningless debate.

Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera -2-:

So good. It's funny, it's badass, and it's charmingly old-school while being great-looking to boot. Not to mention that they fit in two burning hammer moments--so much action crammed into one episode can't be good for the heart.

Favorite show this season, by far.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dororon enma-kun 2 - You know what makes this show so awesome? it has 100% more ayako kawasumi then everything else this season!

zeroshiki

Rektash said:
I am pretty much in both camps. I don't see a problem there since both shows seem to have their own merit.

What Dresden said.

We need an Animu-GAF war and by golly we're gonna get it. We're gonna have matching uniforms and logos and everything.

Of course the Iroha faction will get the cooler looking ones so tough luck for you and Geneijin.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dina said:
Have been watching X-Men this season, what other animes this season are a good time investment?
Inb4 - Hanasaku iroha, Dororon enma-kun, AnoHana, C -the money of soul and possibility control.

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Geneijin abandoned us. Will you also abandon us, trejo?
Well I do have a tendency of rooting for the underdog so we'll see. Make my uniform extra pretty and maaaybe we can sort something out.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Well I do have a tendency of rooting for the underdog so we'll see. Make my uniform extra pretty and maaaybe we can sort something out.

AnoHana is noitaminA. Iroha is an underdog in this situation.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
trejo said:
Branduil and doomed1 should just go have some angry sex and be done with it.
Hey, I'm not the tsun-tsun one here. :p

A-Channel 2
Oh wow... that was sorta bad... Less UST and more fanservice gags. I am disappoint. But at least now we get some sort of understanding that sweet-tits is les-yay for Run too. Also, Tooru is cruel. Oh so cruel. If the third episode keeps this up, I'll probably drop. I mean seriously, if everyone's les-yay for each other, then why set it in a co-ed school? That just PROVES you're not trying. Alternately, you're trying to justify why you didn't get any girls in High School by projecting that they were all lesbians. :p

Unless the author's female, in which case, tag quote!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
[C] 1

Man, maybe I just haven't seen enough anime recently or something, but I feel like that was one of the best opening episodes I've watched for a long time. It seemed so perfectly paced, not a moment wasted. All the fears I had of the 'underwhelming art' evaporated within seconds, at the absolute worst points it looks better than the average anime and at its best it's beautiful.

The single complaint I have is that the CG used for the buildings, statues and such in the Financial District is a bit bland. It clashes with everything else, but I do have a feeling that's intentional.

Very much a standalone introduction episode as has been said, so there's no way to even gauge how the series as a whole will be. We know less about potential overall quality that than we did from the PVs! But I'm really looking forward to finding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom