• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
tiff said:
So did the Lotte manga not even tease about the concept or what? After watching the first episode it's kinda hard to imagine how a premise like that could go in a different direction.

It did for like two chapters but once the MC came in that concept is basically sidetracked since the MC finds another method of attack.

Still doesn't stop the loli fan service though so the people into that are cool.

Branduil

Blooming Flowers ABC 03

Well that episode was pretty wacky. I wonder how many of Grandma's slaves are there because of blackmail.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
InfiniteNine said:
I don't like you.
wciy0.jpg

jman2050

Right now I anticipate following Denpa Onna and [C] to the end. I'll probably quit Iroha before the halfway mark. I MAY finish AnoHana if only because it's 1-cour instead of 2 and actually has an interesting, although overplayed, premise. Nichijou is boring, will just wait for requisite GIFs, Hidan no Aria will last right up until it falls apart completely (I give it three episodes). I haven't seen Tiger and Bunny (I'll get there), everything else either looks terrible or I'm not interested.

Jex

Aoi Bungaku 10/Run Melos! 2

I'm going to attempt to talk about this concluding episode without going overboard because (a) no-one wants to read that many words and (b) Run Melos! is so short that anyone could sit down and watch it in under an hour.

Anyhoo, the final episode of this two-part story is as good, if not better than the proceeding episode. Nakamura and his team to a fantastic job of animating, pacing and writing this section. As I mentioned in my earlier review, Nakamura likes to have different scenes weaving between one another. This can be the past, the present, real events, fictional events, events that will never happen, whatever. A logical comparison would be the way events unfold in Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress, although Nakamura doesn't handle it in quite that way, it's an easy comparison to grasp if you haven't seen this show.

It's extremely entertaining and interesting direction, to say the least. We even get a a furious writing sequence equal to any from Death Note. But it works here like it did there because the emotions and the (melo)drama is running dangerously high. Somehow, it still worked for me and I even felt a little emotional come the ending. It shouldn't work, but it does, because the directing is exceptional.

I would be remiss not to mention the exceptional production values. Truly, this two part story is gorgeous. The character designs are great, the background animation is gorgeous, important objects (the watch) look splendid and the character animation is impressive as well, with special attention being paid to hair, sweat, motion-blur and the movement of clothes.

melos5.jpg
melos2.jpg

melos3.jpg
melos4.jpg

My appreciation of this story has only increased on a rewatch and so I recommend it to all an sundry, especially as it's only two episodes. It does contain a healthy amount of melodrama, so you've been forewarned. In my books, that isn't necessarily a bad thing when it's handled this well. Plus, it's a shorter than his other show, Mōryō no Hako.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
InfiniteNine said:
If that is honestly your response I can safely ignore your posts from now on! Please step into the Aperture Science incinerator for your reward!
No, not really, I just think the show's bad and I'm poking fun at it
and by extension you for taking me serious~
. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
doomed1 said:
No, not really, I just think the show's bad and I'm poking fun at it
and by extension you for taking me serious~
. :p
I wasn't really focusing on the show since none of what I said is covered by it but whatever.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Apparently the actual beginning is rushed through quickly at the end of the first episode and the rest of it is made up. The living with semen thing is brushed over quickly and it becomes more of a family comedy thing with a bit of fan service.
So basically they just put more focus on the semen thing in the beginning of the anime? Second episode's up so I guess we'll see where it goes from there.

jman2050

Whether the premise is tossed aside or not belies the fact that the manga is just boring and unfunny, at least what I read of it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:
Whether the premise is tossed aside or not belies the fact that the manga is just boring and unfunny, at least what I read of it.
Your boring and unfunny Kyubinsky! Although I like the family moments to be the better part of it.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Plus, I'm sure they put you on some kind of list for reading it. When you have to go and explain the premise to the judge in front of a full courtroom then you it will all become clear.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jexhius said:
Plus, I'm sure they put you on some kind of list for reading it. When you have to go and explain the premise to the judge in front of a full courtroom then you it will all become clear.
Not all of us live in Europe Jexhius! Plus it's not that bad compared to Haga Yui's actual H works.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
Not all of us live in Europe Jexhius!
Not yet.
icarus-daedelus said:
If this were an OVA, whatever, some asshole will buy it and whack off to it no matter what it is, but it's unbelievable that these sorts of things are being aired on television somewhere.
Worse yet, that it's being streamed. What's wrong with the world.

iavi

Deadman Wonderland.

This EP moved a bit slow. I must have come a ways since reading that manga, because I couldn't help but lol at how contrived everything felt.
Ill keep watching though, for now.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Scooty Puff Jr. Deadman Wonderland suuuuuuuuuuuucks, why on Earth does it have an official thread? And what the fuck is wrong with their faces?
To be fair, the dude who made it has never posted in the anime thread.

Also, reading through that thread right now just reminds me that it's like a whole new world out there.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Scooty Puff Jr. Deadman Wonderland suuuuuuuuuuuucks, why on Earth does it have an official thread? And what the fuck is wrong with their faces?
Well, at least everyone (most people) was pretty clear about it sucking.

It's the first time I've felt PLOT RAGE in a good long time (ahh, Stardust Memory) so that's actually something.

Jexhius said:
Well, at least everyone (most people) was pretty clear about it sucking.

It's the first time I've felt PLOT RAGE in a good long time (ahh, Stardust Memory) so that's actually something.

Gaf animu thread is not most people. It's getting a lot of praise elsewhere on the internet. Not using that to justify it, but just saying.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cosmicblizzard said:
Gaf animu thread is not most people. It's getting a lot of praise elsewhere on the internet. Not using that to justify it, but just saying.
Pretty much everything gets lots of praise elsewhere on the internet though.

icarus-daedelus said:

The best part of the ep was the Prisoner asking the size of the Warden's boobies, she actually answers and the subsequent reaction LOL

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are people who actually think Star Driver is a good show out there.
I was actually going to post "People praised Star Driver elsewhere on the internet too" originally haha, but it's not just that so I changed it. The internet likes everything!

X-Men 3:
Another solid episode. They did a good job nailing the tension between Emma and the X-Men, and having Scott as the one who remains suspicious of her. I hope they go into more on her past and her role with the Hellfire Club in the future. This episode wound up being a bit more action oriented, but it at least had some good character moments during the downtime.

tiff

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm sure there are people who are more inured to that sort of thing than I, but when you're getting flashes of panty shots and near-nudity every 30 seconds or so (except for when there aren't actual female characters on screen, in which case they talk about how much they wanna bang grrrrrrrrrrls cuz that's all they're good for or something, I wasn't paying much attention) and considering the characters are drawn in the usual looks-like-a-twelve-year-old fashion it's just really fucking disgusting. I mean, weird fetishes like drinking breast milk are one thing, hilarious and sad, fetishes that would be illegal if these weren't drawings (violence, children, animals) are another thing entirely.

If this were an OVA, whatever, some asshole will buy it and whack off to it no matter what it is, but it's unbelievable that these sorts of things are being aired on television somewhere.

There you go. Rant over. I'll try to go back to pretending these things don't exist.
I kinda feel awful for wanting to watch it now.

Aigis said:
Pretty much everything gets lots of praise elsewhere on the internet though.

Like I said, not using that as a justification. People just need to understand the posters in this thread are not represntive of the majority like some seem to think. I have no doubt in my mind that Deadman Wonderland will be somewhat popular and lead to the manga getting more popular.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
Like I said, not using that as a justification. People just need to understand the posters in this thread are not represntive of the majority like some seem to think.
Oh, I know that, sadly, but when I'm talking about a show I don't talk about "most people on the whole internet".

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Like I said, not using that as a justification. People just need to understand the posters in this thread are not represntive of the majority like some seem to think. I have no doubt in my mind that Deadman Wonderland will be somewhat popular and lead to the manga getting more popular.
I dunno, manglobe shows never do well.

Dresden

Heh, the first episode of Blue Exorcist is filler? What? In a single-season show? Really? Hahahahaha.

Anyways, will watch tonight after GAME OF THRONES.

Dresden said:
Heh, the first episode of Blue Exorcist is filler? What? In a single-season show? Really? Hahahahaha.

Anyways, will watch tonight after GAME OF THRONES.

Really? Motherfuck damn!

Guess I'll start the manga.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Really? Motherfuck damn!

Guess I'll start the manga.
Oh, no, I guess it's not total filler, supposedly they just have some new characters and shit to drag out the episode so it ends before its logical conclusion, and thus the pacing is all fucked up.

Early adaptation blues~

e: see, the people on animesuki seem to love it, but on the other hand, this is animesuki.

Joule

Black Republican said:
'What anime is that in ur avy joule?
Sorry for a late reply, went to work for a bit right after posting. It's not from an anime. It's just some Touhou fanart of Hong Meiling.

Jex

Dresden said:
...see, the people on animesuki seem to love it, but on the other hand, this is animesuki.
Saying that the people on animesuki love it is essentially a tautology.

Dresden said:
Oh, no, I guess it's not total filler, supposedly they just have some new characters and shit to drag out the episode so it ends before its logical conclusion, and thus the pacing is all fucked up.

Early adaptation blues~

e: see, the people on animesuki seem to love it, but on the other hand, this is animesuki.

Well that's still disheartening. I don't know why they do this shit with short shows. They could at least wait a few episodes before breaking off from the manga storyline unless they want to go fully original.

Whatever, I'm gonna try to go in it with as little bias as possible since I haven't read the manga. May still like it.

Ezalc

I just started Deadman Wonderland. There's a scene with a prisoner asking how big the Captain or whatever tits are, and she seriously responds him. I think I'm going to like this show.

NewFresh

Has anyone watched A-Chanel Ep. 2? I did not love the first episode but it seemed moderately interesting so i am curious how it went

Joule

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Has anyone watched A-Chanel Ep. 2? I did not love the first episode but it seemed moderately interesting so i am curious how it went
I guess it was a little more amusing than the first ep but it's pretty much the same standard gags. There was more lesbian subtext even if it's not very subtle at all. Also one of the girls got a face full of Wii controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom