• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Oh my, looks like we've had some confirmation about certain Ano Hana episode 3 events in the main thread. Delightful.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Oh my, looks like we've had some confirmation about certain Ano Hana episode 3 events in the main thread. Delightful.
Glanced at it. I knew it! So the show is consistent. I feel liberated now =P

But I still blame firehawk for jinxing it, even if I was forced to speculate it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
I don't know the girls 2nd from the left in both pictures.
Yepyep, no clue who they are.

Geneijin said:

But I still blame firehawk for jinxing it, even if I was forced to speculate it.
I'm a magical girl now! Please wait while I travel back and time and try to fix this.
(Although I think I give a decent reason for why this might be justifiable in the OT).

Are you on team Hanasaku now? :lol

Articalys

To head things off at the pass, the L-to-R lists for Fall/Spring. Don't highlight if you want to guess yourself.

Hotori (Soredemo) -- Wako (Star Driver) -- Zakuro (Demon Maiden Zakuro) -- Panty (PSG) -- Ika Musume (...duh)

Merry (Yumekui Merry) -- Rose (Dragon Crisis) -- Houki (IS) -- Nessa (Fractale) -- Victorique (Gosick)

Jex

Geneijin said:
Well, it never appeared that it was just being slapped together in an uncertain manner.
Articalys said:
To head things off at the pass, the L-to-R lists for Fall/Spring. Don't highlight if you want to guess yourself.

Hotori (Soredemo) -- Wako (Star Driver) -- Zakuro (Demon Maiden Zakuro) -- Panty (PSG) -- Ika Musume (...duh)

Merry (Yumekui Merry) -- Rose (Dragon Crisis) -- Houki (IS) -- Nessa (Fractale) -- Victorique (Gosick)
I feel bad for knowing all of these.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Well, it never appeared that it was just being slapped together in an uncertain manner.
My mistake for implying that. What I meant was when speculation started on who was the person in the Episode 3 preview
that was dressing up, I had a strong inkling it was Yukiatsu based on what information was revealed in the first two episodes. Hearing Anaru or Tsuruko as possibilities threw me off, but I still thought it was Yukiatsu because of what's shown on the left wrist of "that Menma" in the preview, and we knew only one person with possession of that dress before Episode 3.
So I'm glad our speculation was right.

Man, I need to watch Episode 3 soon. You guys getting me excited.

Jex

Geneijin said:
My mistake for implying that.
Ah well it's just that some posters here and the main thread seem to be implying that it's somehow aimless, when it all feels fairly deliberate to me.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:

Just checked the thread...
creepy raper dude
just got an upgrade.

Jex

[C] 3

Another organisation in an anime named the organisation? C'mon people, work a bit harder than that!

trejo

Should I feel bad for knowing who all the girls in those pics are?

And what the hell, this stupid wedding is like, in every other channel.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 01-03:
That was so enjoyable I actually ended up watching the third episode too. Great show and I have no idea why people don't like Menma.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
That was so enjoyable I actually ended up watching the third episode too. Great show and I have no idea why people don't like Menma.
I think it was because she kind of dominated the opening episode over the other cast members. But that complaint doesn't come up much any more because people are too busy drawing fan art of her.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yeah, most of the Menma complaints seemed to disappear after ep 2 aired.

Also, I feel like it may be better for me to avoid official threads (or non-tagged-speculation in this thread) after seeing THAT confirmation about episode 3. Watch them now spend like 3-4 episodes hinting and building up to a reveal of Yukiatsu's issue when we've already got it figured out with the magic of screencaps (I imagine hints towards twists in stories are not written with the expectation people will meticulously go over the previous content until they figure it out), kind of ruins the fun. The horror of episodic media.

tiff

Banned
Articalys said:
Be glad they even drew that many characters -- here's the same artist's work for Fall and Winter seasons. They just have their priorities, I guess.
I guess I'm cool with Maria+Holic getting shafted if Madoka got the same treatment.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Are you on team Hanasaku now? :lol
Oh, that's what you were referring to. I really dunno. I will become a martyr if it allows others to join though.

AnoHana spoilers
A Black Falcon said:
But remember, he isn't going to school, while he is (if he's the same age as the others) still school age; he's just doing odd jobs and travelling... you think that that's really fine? You don't think he is, in some way, running away? Maybe it has elements of both, or maybe you're right, but I think it's a plausible explanation anyway.
Right now, the story doesn't give me any reason to think Poppo is bothered about her death nearly as much as the rest of them. Quite frankly, Episode 2 established for me he may have very well moved on. He was ecstatic to hear Menma's possible return instead of bothered by it, and his journey of self-discovery sounds like he's enjoying life, not typical of someone mourning over a person's death. If Menma's death had an effect on him, what could it be then? The way the story had him involved with contacting Yukiatsu and reuniting Jinta and Anaru for a brief moment to mend their relationship, his role in the main story feels similar to what Menma was for everyone in their childhood: getting them together.

That's going too far into speculation that we don't know much about, I think, I'll just wait to see more of Tsuruko before I decide anything about that. Maybe, but who knows?
Yep. It really is too far into the series to predict from now, but I wanted to write that thought out. It doesn't feel implausible. More like a possibility, which is kind of creepy.

I don't know, spoilering that she died is kind of pointless, it's the entire point of the whole series and it's what it centers around. Spoilering details beyond that, sure, but that? Kind of pointless. But of course, I thought that that very deceptive Madoka OP wasn't such a great idea there either, but at least there it's not until three episodes in that that fact becomes clear, instead of just minutes as in AnoHana.
I'll just say if you're as gullible as I am and knew nothing about AnoHana besides the description like me,
her family reunion scene might have felt more emotionally-laden and added to the emotional manipulation they were building up to. You can say it's a weak reason to not spoil it, but I felt there was a deliberate purpose for what they were trying to do if that was their intention to put it shortly.

Well of course, for all of them... the characters dealing with the legacy of that traumatic event is what the series is about.
Well, I believe everyone except Poppo hasn't moved on! We'll see.

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess...
She probably is depressed, yes. She tries to cover it with things, but can't completely keep it hidden. But now that the characters are starting to get along again, the hope obviously is that maybe their traumas will gradually be lessened. I don't know though, it needs to keep drama up through the series at least, so it can't let it all just get over quickly, so it'll be in fits and starts I'm sure, and with other twists to complicate things.
Think of her hanging out with her new friends like drinking alcohol. You get a temporarily relief when you're drinking, but as soon as it's over, you're still left as terrible as you were before if you were drinking to reduce your stress.

As to there not being enough drama, I find more trouble predicting it than needing it ever since Episode 2's certain development.

But yeah, it's still early yet, and it's hard to say what you think of all the characters when several haven't gotten much focus yet.
Amen to that.
Which is why the lack of focus on Poppo feels like he has moved on for me! =)

Edit: I'll write a better reply later.

Jex

Sage00 said:
Yeah, most of the Menma complaints seemed to disappear after ep 2 aired.

Also, I feel like it may be better for me to avoid official threads (or non-tagged-speculation in this thread) after seeing THAT confirmation about episode 3. Watch them now spend like 3-4 episodes hinting and building up to a reveal of Yukiatsu's issue when we've already got it figured out with the magic of screencaps (I imagine hints towards twists in stories are not written with the expectation people will meticulously go over the previous content until they figure it out), kind of ruins the fun. The horror of episodic media.
They could always move, lost-style, to writing the show in direct reaction to what people on the internet speculate. That would create a quality series.

Also, Poppo has obviously moved on. You can tell from his fine shirts.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
Menma has really toned down since the first episode, I don't think you'll find many people who dislike her now.

It makes it even more fun!

trejo

Ano Hana 3

Fuck, that was pretty damn good. Poppo is like, the chillest dude ever. What a bro.

And yeah, that Yukiatsu is giving me some very bad vibes. Dude's gotta be all sorts of messed up.

Menma was only really annoying at the start of the first episode. She's improved an awful lot since.

Jex

trejo said:
Ano Hana 3
...And yeah, that Yukiatsu is giving me some very bad vibes. Dude's gotta be all sorts of messed up...
Hey now, y'all we're quick to judge him as some kind of panty sniffer, but now it's been revealed that his tastes are far more wholesome and you still complain!

A Black Falcon said:
Profound? Seriously? You'd use a word like THAT to describe that speech? It would be hard for me to disagree more, it was so, so bad, from length to writing to content... it was boring, stupid, ridiculous (not in a good way), incredibly repetitive, eight or nine minutes too long (minimum), and more... just an endless scene of a stupid madman ranting.

Note the last "it" in my post was referring to his insanity and that speech was just a vehicle.

@bold: should of just said this in your first post about it :p

How in the world is a scene like that supposed to be a good idea? And plus of course as I also said, the actual plot is one of the most generic imaginable. It's like massive amounts of hype and exposition for a story with zero depth or complexity (evil psycho nazi wants to kill everything. There, that's all you need to know.). So bad.

I mean seriously, generic insane evil psycho villain #230549430 ranting about how evil he is scenes are one of film's most generic things. They do not have to go on for ten minutes. If you're going to spend that much time on a plot speech, it better actually be a good plot.

(Also of course, the actual Nazis, or modern-day neonazis, weren't completely insane and didn't make policy just for the fun of causing chaos, Hitler had goals. I know that using nazis as evil is just about the most sterotypical thing ever and that's fine, the Nazis were quite evil, but they weren't about just mindlessly causing as much chaos as possible as was that Major guy's goal.)

Yea when had an actual war but after 50 plus years they basically just don't give a shit anymore.

Plus Hellsing is all about being over the top imo and won't be winning any awards for its story telling. :p

was it a good idea? Maybe not but I got a message from it at least.

You could have done that in one tenth the amount of time.

As said before i agree but nothing beats talking crazy stuff and going on and on and on about it.

My response to that scene: "This guy is completely fucking crazy"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Geneijin said:
I don't know the girls 2nd from the left in both pictures.
The girl second from the left in the Winter picture is Rose from Dragon Crisis.

In the fall picture it's Wako from Star Driver.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.

Thank you. Good night.

Go_Ly_Dow

AnoHana 3

Damn, I really wanted Jinta to make the push and go to school!

Friends all reunited a lot sooner then I thought they they would be. Creepy-raper boy gets creepier.

Steroyd said:
Higurashi - 04

*clears throat*

ffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

God I love this show!

If episode 5 is what I think it is..........mwhhahha!

zeroshiki

C - 03

Well, I guess they had to do an infodump some time and now was as good a time as any. I get that this won't be your run of the mill action series, and I think alot of people here are glad for that, but I would have liked it more if they had at least some action.

The episode focused too much on the main guy's hang ups with his family life and I felt like the episode moved quite slow.

C discussion:
flawfuls said:
I believe he was the
main character's friend's boyfriend.

I think he was
the teacher.

Cwarrior

ano hana ep3

Good episode the show moving a lot faster then expect with poppo moving the plot by himself by getting everyone together already in space of 2 episodes.

I find it really funny that both Tsuruko (after creepy guy) and Anaru(after jinta)are sitting on the side lines in the friend zone section both losing to a girl who died 10 years ago lol.

What I like most about the show is that it’s not so easy to predict like most animes, the second episode with nokemon was unexpected.

creapy guy just got more creapy, why do i have a feeling that what poppo saw was creapy guy in the woods.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Articalys said:
First (very brief) trailer with actual content for the K-On! movie. Original story set during high school. First round of advance tickets already selling out. I'll laugh if it makes more than Shoushitsu.
Actual content my ass. That thing's footage is nothing but stuff from the show. Isn't it supposed to be about everyone's trip abroad before college or something? Oh, and totally expect it to make more than Shoushitsu.

Seikon no Qwaser II Episode 1-2
Yeah, no. Bring back Mafuyu, Tomo and Katja. Why ignoring these important characters????

Edit:
Seikon no Qwaser II Episode 3
Now we´re talking.

Jexhius said:
Someone has to be the Sheriff, handing out justice through cold steel (keyboards).
Then Duckroll has to ban himself since he found out everyone in Team HanaIro is just a bunch of Chiaki Omigawa lovers and Bones haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom