• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Nichijou 5

Well, that was not so bad. I did smirk here and there. Jumping rope are the best bits.

Renmei said:
And to the IRC channel I go. Lets see if you guys are as crazy spammy there~
boy, you have no idea.

AnoHana 03 - Good episode... plenty to say about it. :)
So he dresses for school, but doesn't actually go. One step forward, now you just need to attend... but he does lie to menma about that he went to school, because she was pressing him to go.

You can't lie to her forever Jinta, she'll probably find out eventually if you keep not going...

Also, so Menma's ghost is corporeal and can do things like make muffins and play Game Boy? I wonder what that would look like for someone other than Jinta watching, would there be floating objects and stuff? :)

It's also kind of funny how she claims to be herself and not her ghost, um, you are the ghost... and she knows she's dead so it's not that. Just being silly I guess?

"Ugh, there's eggshell in this."

"Umm, that's for the calcium." :lol

I will say though, several times in this episode she says that this or that "might have been my wish". No, I doubt that "I wish I could see my own ghost" or "I wish Jinta would go to school" were your wishes, that's just stupid... at least Jinta points that out... before doing the things she suggests anyway. :)

As for Yukiatsu... um, buying scrunchies or something now? What for, to up your impersonation?

And Anaru, you want someone to get on your case for being too willing to follow the crowd/your not so great friends? so you're saying you appreciate Tsuruko saying those things, because it showed that she cared? Great. While that is probably partially true, there are better ways of showing such care than what she said to you in ep. 2...

Anyway though, the party/regathering part was great, nice to see them together like that... it seems Tsuruko has joined the team, awesome. :) Some pretty sweet moments too... :)

Also, as for Menma's other ghost which Poppo saw, good eye, person who got a screenshot showing what it actually is... that's not surprising, it didn't look quite like her ghost so even without that I'd be unsure that that actually was her. Knowing that does change the last scene though, where he claims to have seen her... even though without that we already know that as far as we know he hadn't seen her, if what that image suggested is true his statement is even less honest than that (working with them while you con them too, or something, Yukiatsu, to make them think she's back for sure?) I wonder what his game is though... what's he going to do next?

That Menma's too much of an airhead to question him at all about it (to Jinta I mean), though, is a little odd. But oh well.

mAcOdIn said:
Well I was thinking instead of me sinking to your level that maybe you could rise to mine, maybe watch some Iroha and Denpa or something. I guess we'll always have AnoHana :) <3
Maybe you'll post some about anohana then.

As for Denpa, I might try it, haven't gotten to it yet, maybe I will.

Argh, I can't keep it up, of course someone, somewhere in Japan has good taste.
Well nice to see you finally admit it. :)

I liked Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, they're the only two I've seen.
I thought both of those were fantastic, yeah. I haven't seen most of his older ones, but I have seen Ponyo (pretty good, not as good as those two) and Howl's Moving Castle (it was okay, fun movie but yeah not his best) too though.

cosmicblizzard said:
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA 1

Eh, it was all right. I think I'm just gonna skip to the TV series rather than waste another hour on this.

I think the best part about it was the OVA's version of Miyu's backstory, it was kind of interesting. I think the anime backstory's a little different, but still that was probably the best thing about it though.

I do understand why the OVA chose the concept they did -- that it'd be about this other woman, searching for Miyu -- and indeed ep. 1 of the TV series partially is similar, but I do think that it was maybe a mistake. It works, and the OVA's a decent watch (the mysteries in the episodes are mostly classic Vampire Miyu stuff), but one reason why the TV series is better is because Miyu's actually the main character there like she should be, it is true. Yeah she's mysterious, but the show isn't as good when she isn't the main character as well as the focus.

On that note, the Japanese title of the series is just Kyuuketsuki Miyu, which I think just means "Vampire Miyu"; I think the "Princess" part was added for the Western release.

Solune

A Black Falcon said:
I thought both of those were fantastic, yeah. I haven't seen most of his older ones, but I have seen Ponyo (pretty good, not as good as those two) and Howl's Moving Castle (it was okay, fun movie but yeah not his best) too though.
Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are really good. All of the older titles are definitely worth watching. Still have to watch Nausicaa myself actually. But yah Totoro, Kiki's, and Laputa/Castle in the sky are all superb

Solune said:
Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are really good. All of the older titles are definitely worth watching. Still have to watch Nausicaa myself actually. But yah Totoro, Kiki's, and Laputa/Castle in the sky are all superb
Oh right, I have seen Nausicaa. Really good movie, like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. All of his are at least somewhat good, though. I don't dislike Howl's Moving Castle like some people do. It's not his best, certainly, but it was still good.

Erigu

A Black Falcon said:
On that note, the Japanese title of the series is just Kyuuketsuki Miyu, which I think just means "Vampire Miyu"; I think the "Princess" part was added for the Western release.
It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Japanese title is pronounced "Vampire Miyu", but written "kyûketsuki Miyu" in kanji (there are "va n pa i a" kana next to the "kyûketsuki" kanji to specify the unusual reading).
Then, the Japanese word for "vampire" normally is "kyûketsuki" / "&#21560;&#34880;&#39740;" (lit. "blood-sucking ogre"), but here, the final "ki" ("&#39740;" = "ogre") has been replaced with another "ki": "&#23019;", that is to say "princess". So you get a neologism / pun that would actually mean "blood-sucking princess", literally. They most probably decided to add a "princess" in the English title so that detail wouldn't be lost in translation.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Maybe you'll post some about anohana then.

As for Denpa, I might try it, haven't gotten to it yet, maybe I will.
Maybe, hard to make posts about things that aren't either super fucking great or not terrible.
A Black Falcon said:
Well nice to see you finally admit it. :)
But that's besides the point, Japan's taste as a whole still sucks.

Soma

trejo said:
Azazel-san 4

So wrong and so, so funny. I still think the short length is what helps this show the most.
Definitely. Tied with Enma-kun as funniest show i've watched so far this season.

Lain

Battle Girls Time Paradox 4
Better than the previous episode, with a little more humor. Hideyoshi keeps being the best idiot around, making me laugh with her stupid faces.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wings of Honneamise

This was really good. Good enough to feel justified in blindly spending $35 on it. It's definitely one of my favorite anime movies of all time now. Not much else to say about it.

cosmicblizzard said:
Ikkitousen 7

Jeez, Kanu is badass. More characters, enemies or otherwise, need to be perfectly fine with significantly fucking up their body just to get a hit in (and I don't mean those cliche "cast from HP" attacks).

Of course she is, she's motherfucking Guan Yu.

As for Ikkitousen, the first series is kinda meh though it has a catchy OP, the second series (Dragon Destiny) is FUCKING BADASS, then they ran out of manga material so don't bother with the 3rd and 4th series. I got 3 episodes into the 3rd series (Great Guardians) and was like fuck this shit.

trejo

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 1

OK, so just in the first episode, at least four people died. One of them directly killed by the show's heroine. The teacher I'm a bit unsure of. Did she kill her too or is she just like, catatonic or something at the end? In any case, it's a little messed up. The show doesn't shy away from a bit of blood and gore here and there but at least it's nothing too in your face or anything. There's also a cute mascot character with what has got to be the worst case of conjunctivitis I have ever seen.

Animation-wise it's not the best but it's serviceable and it's definitely got my interest.

Steroyd

Nichijou - 5

Potential unlocked, great episode the good to blah ratio has switched completely from the previous 4 episodes.

trejo said:

OK, so just in the first episode, at least four people died. One of them directly killed by the show's heroine. The teacher I'm a bit unsure of. Did she kill her too or is she just like, catatonic or something at the end? In any case, it's a little messed up. The show doesn't shy away from a bit of blood and gore here and there but at least it's nothing too in your face or anything. There's also a cute mascot character with what has got to be the worst case of conjunctivitis I have ever seen.

Animation-wise it's not the best but it's serviceable and it's definitely got my interest.

Only seen about 4 episodes, the show doesn't let up on the grimdark endings, need to pick this up again.

Geneijin

tiff said:
How will I know if I made the right choice?
Trust what is in your heart as right. Coercion be damned!

kiryogi said:
So I have to ask... does anyone find anohana cliche @ all? I can't say I've seen this premise often, or at all... Or at least in anime. A friend of mine said it was cliched with a convinent setup. I'm finding this hard to swallow.
Predictable maybe. Are there cliches? Yes. Are the sum of its parts cliche? No.

trejo said:

Yeah, it's an interesting episode, isn't it? That ending really makes the episode, I think. Up to that point you might be thinking that it's going to be a conventional show, but then THAT happens and wow, you know that it's going to be something different.

As for Miyu and her powers, yeah, one of Miyu's powers is to put people into a dream that they will not wake from for the rest of their life -- an eternal dream, essentially. Miyu considers use of this power good -- when people are sad, sometimes she bites them (this is how she puts them into the dream) so that they can be in a happy dream instead of sad reality. She thinks this is a kindness.

I do, however, find that concept disturbing -- is doing that to people really such a good thing? Probably not... but part of the point of the series is to be disturbing and tragic, so it works.

Also, yes, every episode is sad. Each episode tells a new story (they're all stand alone), and each is a tragedy. The deathtolls vary, but few episodes don't have people dying, often innocents. Miyu seems to frequently allow innocents to be killed, in order to draw out a Shinma -- she'll wait for the Shinma to show itself when it does whatever it does to a victim she was tracking, and only THEN will she come out and stop it. ometimes she stops the Shinma first, but not always.

It is a little odd, because she also claims to be sad that she's immortal, wishes for her burden to end so she can become a human or something like that (I'm not sure exactly what she wants, but she is sad that she's immortal and has to hunt Shinmas.), but on the other hand she doesn't care too much if people die while she's hunting down a Shinma, unless they're people she care about (those other schoolgirls).

Now, she isn't SUPPOSED to care about humans -- as an immortal, at least until she gets all of the Shinmas, she is supposed to care about catching them but not about the lives of humans who got in their way, the cute critter criticizes her for instance in the cases where she does protect those friends from school, if I remember right -- but still, it is a little odd. She kind of seems to want to have things both ways.

It does mostly fit the plot, there are good reasons to not get too close to humans when you are what she is, but still.

However, Miyu herself usually doesn't kill humans (
episode 1 aside
). She puts them into those happy never-ending dreams sometimes, but she doesn't usually kill them outright.

I don't usually like horror, but somehow I really like Vampire Princess Miyu anyway... it's easily one of my favorites in that genre, no question.

Erigu said:
It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Japanese title is pronounced "Vampire Miyu", but written "kyûketsuki Miyu" in kanji (there are "va n pa i a" kana next to the "kyûketsuki" kanji to specify the unusual reading).
Then, the Japanese word for "vampire" normally is "kyûketsuki" / "&#21560;&#34880;&#39740;" (lit. "blood-sucking ogre"), but here, the final "ki" ("&#39740;" = "ogre") has been replaced with another "ki": "&#23019;", that is to say "princess". So you get a neologism / pun that would actually mean "blood-sucking princess", literally. They most probably decided to add a "princess" in the English title so that detail wouldn't be lost in translation.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the explanation, that's interesting.

Izayoi

Banned
Dororon 1, 2, 3, & 4. What the fuck did I just watch? Fantastic art style, and good animation, but what in the fuck. I want to keep watching because of the art style and Yuki, but it's just so random, even by Japanese standards. I don't know...

/XX/

trejo said:
Does Castle of Cagliostro count as adapted material?
I think no, because Mr. Miyazaki and Mr. Takahata altered Monkey Punch's Lupin the 3rd character a lot, making him their own one (and, in my opinion, Masaaki &#332;sumi was the right one).

trejo said:
The borrowers? I believe not until next year, for some god forsaken reason.
February 17, 2012, as reported by Deadline | Hollywood (http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/fox-and-disney-now-swap-release-dates/).

Geneijin

Izayoi said:
Dororon 1, 2, 3, & 4. What the fuck did I just watch? Fantastic art style, and good animation, but what in the fuck. I want to keep watching because of the art style and Yuki, but it's just so random, even by Japanese standards. I don't know...
They call him by the name Go Nagai (I have not watched this yet).

faridmon

mAcOdIn said:
WTF? It's not really any different than last season? The only real big change, if one can call it that, is Mariya and Matsurika no longer verbally abusing each other, now they just both abuse Kanako but that change came in season one. Unless you're basing the series's worth in how much flash is in the OP, then it's a downgrade.
Oh, no. It wasn't all this silly. Lets go to this butanic garden where I can find my love of my live and clear those silly obsticals.

The whole Anime was about Satire and making fun of the whole cliche which is the reason why they included in it in the 1st series. This feels like a damn clicheed one that doesn't recognise the whole point of the series.

It feels like another set of people are working on it and they just don't get it. We have another Gunslinger Girls 2 situation here...

Steroyd

Beelzebub - 15

Oh COME ON!!! How the hell did they manage to do an episode with Tojou in it, and somehow have him not meet Oga, the studio pulled the exact same bullshit when Oga went to meet Aoi, THE EXACT SAME BULLSHIT OF THEM LOOKING FOR EACH OTHER FOR A WHOLE EPISODE.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
faridmon said:
It feels like another set of people are working on it and they just don't get it. We have another Gunslinger Girls 2 situation here...
I don't think the first Maria Holic was all that clever after its initial few episodes anyway, so it's probably a source material thing.

Anyhooooo, Amagami SS Miyamiya niinii arc... well, I suppose that was a nice way to summarize the entire series and give some random service. I still don't really know where I stand on this show; the politics of it are just as awkward as a standard harem series, but it's wrapped in the sentimentality of clean romcom fun, so it's really hard to come down on it either way. I mean, even crazy stalker girl who wants her obsession's boyfriend to call her big sister gets a pass in this show, which is all kinds of strange.

It was an interesting experiment I suppose, and strangely, it's wholesomeness didn't make it as skeevy as say, Yosoga no Sora, which tried the same thing but added twincest for good measure. I wonder if it's been popular in Japan though, because I suppose I could see directors adapting harems in this way if it means they can push individual arcs to their own specific crazy fans (and give out bonus discs to the OCDers who buy the whole set, as it seems). Certainly these games and by implication the animes have girls that are essentially tuned to meet the needs of various nerdlings across the great island nation.

I mean, a little sister that still refers to herself in the third person? That's like siscon moe right there.

I'm still surprised there was no teacher arc. They even go out of their way to point out that she was single, but I guess they didn't want to go there. One crazy arc (student council girl... well, and stalker girl if you count her arc) is probably enough.

I will say, this last episode makes me excited for Working!! (or Yamaking!!), mostly because the screechy voice of Miya has become endearing to me for some reason. I still find that particular type of voice boring since it's the most average Japanese girl voice ever, but at least her version of it takes it to the next level.

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
I will say, this last episode makes me excited for Working!! (or Yamaking!!), mostly because the screechy voice of Miya has become endearing to me for some reason. I still find that particular type of voice boring since it's the most average Japanese girl voice ever, but at least her version of it takes it to the next level.
Oh hey, I guess that means it's time to post this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAavGv-OzXY

faridmon

firehawk12 said:
I don't think the first Maria Holic was all that clever after its initial few episodes anyway, so it's probably a source material thing.
Its not about its being smart and complex, its about its aproach to whole Shojo/Anime medium as it felt crazier when it does a cliche based on the medium. This just feel just another Sterotypical Anime, hopefully it improves from the first Episode, But I doubt it.

And as someone said, there is no new charcters to dive the story or the plot forward, there is nothing special happening that makes for those gags happening. Also, the most offending of all, Will they ever going to make fun of Gundam series????

Wait, Is there going to be another Working!! Anime? Awesome if true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Oh hey, I guess that means it's time to post this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAavGv-OzXY

NII-NII

faridmon said:
Its not about its being smart and complex, its about its aproach to whole Shojo/Anime medium as it felt crazier when it does a cliche based on the medium. This just feel just another Sterotypical Anime, hopefully it improves from the first Episode, But I doubt it.

And as someone said, there is no new charcters to dive the story or the plot forward, there is nothing special happening that makes for those gags happening. Also, the most offending of all, Will they ever going to make fun of Gundam series????
Honestly, I have no idea why I watched the first season beyond the fact that it looked like SZS. I knew nothing about Shaft or dat voice at that point anyway. Once in a while it would make a clever and insightful joke, but there's too much crap to wade through and it becomes a series of horny lesbian jokes. You have a lesbian, a priest, and a masochistic crossdressing boy. You'd think that'd be rife for comedic and satirical possibilities, but that seems to be the furthest thing from their minds.

Wait, Is there going to be another Working!! Anime? Awesome if true.
Yup. Announced after their April fools joke. The PV was kind of cute.

Izayoi

Banned
Ao no Exorcist 1 & 2. Holy shit. That was pretty intense for the first two episodes. Episode 1 and 2 spoilers:
I mean, finding out you're the son of Satan, having your father kill himself in front of you in order to exorcise Satan from himself... Holy shit, man.
The real question is whether or not it can keep that momentum. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Izayoi said:
Ao no Exorcist 1 & 2. Holy shit. That was pretty intense for the first two episodes. Episode 1 and 2 spoilers:
I mean, finding out you're the son of Satan, having your father kill himself in front of you in order to exorcise Satan from himself... Holy shit, man.
The real question is whether or not it can keep that momentum. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Pretty much what I felt, as well.

It definitely starts out strong. With Toriko and AnE, this season is pretty damn great for shounen.

Kettch

Steroyd said:
Beelzebub - 15

Oh COME ON!!! How the hell did they manage to do an episode with Tojou in it, and somehow have him not meet Oga, the studio pulled the exact same bullshit when Oga went to meet Aoi, THE EXACT SAME BULLSHIT OF THEM LOOKING FOR EACH OTHER FOR A WHOLE EPISODE.

I'd suggest you stop watching. I think I gave up around episode 7. I really love Beelzebub, but 50% filler just completely trashes the pacing to the point where I'm spending more time cringing than laughing.

Steroyd

Kettch said:
I'd suggest you stop watching. I think I gave up around episode 7. I really love Beelzebub, but 50% filler just completely trashes the pacing to the point where I'm spending more time cringing than laughing.

It'll have to get to Naruto levels of awful before I stop, although it is impressive how it's starting to get to that level and the series is only 15 episodes in.

Izayoi said:

tumblr_lk9pctcRM31qb55te.gif

Rin looks like he has tons of potential, hopefully action stays as intense as ever. Though, I hope it is more than a 12 episode series!

Nichijou 5
Looks like the animation took a hit. Kind of a shame. This show is still as funny as ever though. I'd place this episode above 3 and 4 but below 2 in terms of funniness. So this was a better episode.

Edit: Or am I imagining this animation drop? No one else in the thread seems to have noticed. To clarify: it seemed to me the animation was still good, just not as great as usual.

Kettch

Steroyd said:
It'll have to get to Naruto levels of awful before I stop, although it is impressive how it's starting to get to that level and the series is only 15 episodes in.

Naruto level would be fine. Full episodes of filler, entire arcs or Naruto-style 100 episode stretches are easy to just skip, you can still enjoy the show perfectly fine. The problem with Beelzebub is that they take a chapter of the manga, chop it up into about 10 parts and sprinkle filler events all in between them. It's unwatchable.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Blader5489 said:
The US release is next year, but the bluray comes out in Japan this June.

And that blu-ray will have English subtitles. Can't remember if it will have the dub or not. Most Ghibli Japan releases do, if one exists, but I don't know if they've recorded it yet.

Either way, delaying till Feb 2012 is perplexing. Maybe Disney doesn't want to bother with fans saying it should get an academy Award nom. Isn't it ineligible if it's not released in the US at least a year after the Japan release?

Blader

DrForester said:
And that blu-ray will have English subtitles. Can't remember if it will have the dub or not. Most Ghibli Japan releases do, if one exists, but I don't know if they've recorded it yet.

Either way, delaying till Feb 2012 is perplexing. Maybe Disney doesn't want to bother with fans saying it should get an academy Award nom. Isn't it ineligible if it's not released in the US at least a year after the Japan release?

They have.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SciencePilot said:
Nichijou 5
Looks like the animation took a hit. Kind of a shame. This show is still as funny as ever though. I'd place this episode above 3 and 4 but below 2 in terms of funniness. So this was a better episode.

Edit: Or am I imagining this animation drop? No one else in the thread seems to have noticed. To clarify: it seemed to me the animation was still good, just not as great as usual.
Bad judge of anime, so don't take my word for it, but it seemed fine to me...

qcf x2

Wow, I thought I'd never enjoy another shounen but both Aoi no Exorcist & C are revitalizing the genre. I'm liking both right now.

Plus having seen Madoka, ...last time I enjoyed 3 series from one year was...well, I'm not sure but it's been at least 2 or 3 years.

What's the consensus on Deadman Wonderland? It looked promising but the early (1st ep) impressions suggested it was awful. Should I check it out?

Steroyd

Verdict is still out on Deadman Wonderland mainly because iwe don't know what the main focus is yet other than the guy trying to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom