• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

BluWacky said:
Unsurprisingly, this was storyboarded by the excellent OP director Masashi Ishihama, who also did Welcome to the NHK, Kamichu!, and Speed Grapher. (I'd guess he did the Druaga openings too but ANN doesn't have credits for those).

You wouldn't catch me dead watching the show itself, but that IS a good OP.

He was uncredited for the Druaga OPs, actually. According to Ben, he was completely fed up with Gonzo at that point.

Articalys said:
Okay, I have to admit the "PI-TAH DRUK-AH" at the start of every Moshidora episode makes me laugh a bit. Don't know why I find the accent that funny.
Gets me too. The guy puts so much emphasis on the TAH I can't help but laugh.

X-Frame

trejo said:
Does it have to be fantasy? If not, then Black Lagoon is an absolute must. I guess Seirei No Moribito also fits in that category and it has the added benefit of having one of the strongest female protagonists ever and being a genuinely good show.

Black Lagoon looks pretty awesome. I'm going to definitely check that out.

Any other recommendations? Thx!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dedication Through Light said:
Ah thanks, guess Ill get it on netflix, if only Bandai would release these things as blu-rays then I would surely buy.

Gurren Lagann not being on Blu-Ray still perplexes me. Even in Japan it didn't happen.

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
Most of the staff of Kamichu worked on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9174 welcome to the space show, which was released recently i think.

That explains a lot. Now that I think about it Welcome to the Space Show was a lot like Kamichu especially visually.

zeroshiki said:
I've never heard of this now I want to track it down =/
You should, it's a cute fun and imaginative movie. Though the story gets kind of stupid especially in the last bit. It's also pretty long like 2+ hours.

It's weird and sad that these attempts at Ghibli like movies by non Ghibli studios like this and Mai Mai Miracle seem to get completely ignored. Especially Mai Mai Miracle which is better than most Ghibli movies and hasn't even been properly translated.

BluWacky

flawfuls said:
You should, it's a cute fun and imaginative movie. Though the story gets kind of stupid especially in the last bit. It's also pretty long like 2+ hours.

You like it more than most people! I was kind of unsurprised to discover the film fell apart given that it was the ROD team behind it, although I should probably actually watch the damn thing at some point.

It's weird and sad that these attempts at Ghibli like movies by non Ghibli studios like this and Mai Mai Miracle seem to get completely ignored. Especially Mai Mai Miracle which is better than most Ghibli movies and hasn't even been properly translated.

My favourite is the slow-as-molasses Princess Arete, from Studio 4C. Brilliant film that virtually no-one's seen - and at least this has an excellent translation courtesy of veteran fansubber roxfan (is he still working? Hardcore Yoko Kanno fan and always seemed to have excellent taste in shows to translate.)

Geneijin

farnham said:
I hope you didn't get banned for this because I think it is bannable now. I know this was in jest too (I think).

Innapropriate Posts & Banned Memes

- Thread Whining / Respect to Others. It's not that "Haters gonna hate" is a banned meme, it's that it's often used to be flippant and dismissive to other posters. If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "the usual suspects", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion. This is getting to be a pretty big problem, and it's probably the single largest category of bans these days. If you don't want to discuss something, you don't need to post.

This also includes things like "weekend gaf", "sounds like a GameFAQs threads", "tl;dr", "cool story, bro", "who gives a shit", etc. If you think a particular thread is lowering a quality of the forum, PM a moderator about it.

Geneijin said:
I hope you didn't get banned for this because I think it is bannable now. I know this was in jest too (I think).

Or it could be the crap he tends to stir up on the Gaming side.

Dororon Enma-kun 4

Its like i was on acid the entire time.

Interesting hearing the full name of the specific character and Enma's reaction.

Geneijin

Infinite Justice said:
Or it could be the crap he tends to stir up on the Gaming side.
I must have missed it then if his banning resulted from something over there.

Her role since she wasn't a main heroine after her arc finished was exactly that, so I didn't think badly of his comment, but I have no idea what else he meant by it either.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi ep 4

All around decent, the plot thread with Onodera and the author of the manga missing the deadline because of the flu was suspenseful. Loved to see Onodera not whimpering for something. Onodera falling asleep on Takano on subway to bed scene was hilarious when Onodera was like "we didnt do anything weird" and Takano was like "define weird".

Now on to C

Joule

Geneijin said:
Amagami SS - 26
In a just world, Risa and Miya would be real friends, Rihoko's friendzoned, Ai and Sae aren't part of the harem, Haruka is the delectable flirt, Hibiki is the senpai, Sensei is also a life counselor, and Ayatsuji and Kaoru will be the main heroines in the love triangle for the MC.

Now reboot the series with a different director. Easy money Japan. Another 26 episodes series sounds about right.
How is this a just world?! : /

Erigu

Geneijin said:
Amagami SS - 26
[...]
Now reboot the series with a different director. Easy money Japan. Another 26 episodes series sounds about right.
Not another series, but there will be (a tiny bit) more animated Amagami, apparently: two DVDs with new, short sequences for each of the 6 main heroines. They should be sent towards the end of May, in exchange for the proofs of purchase of the main series' video releases (Japan, you so crafty). Not much, but I'm looking forward to more ridiculous stuff from the game.

flawfuls

BluWacky said:
You like it more than most people! I was kind of unsurprised to discover the film fell apart given that it was the ROD team behind it, although I should probably actually watch the damn thing at some point.

Well it's not a great movie, but it's worth watching at least.

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo Episode 14

y'know i'd enjoy this series a lot more if they didn't keep going for the HEY GUYS THESE GIRLS ARE REALLY PERVERTED OKAY gags...but i kinda realize that's prooobably the main point of the show. other than that i still find it enjoyable for some reason.

oh man now to catch up on Enma, Iroha, and Azazel-san.

i should probably check out AnoHana too since i keep hearing good things about it here.

Instro

Kaiji 4

Shit is going down, Kaiji has the ultimate plan to get his money...or to have everything backfire in his face again.

flawfuls

Making of Fireball

So fucking awesome. I thought it was going to be a real making of thing, but it's actually a parody behind the scenes interview thing with Drossel and the big robot dude.

Tiger & Bunny 5
:lol Kotetsu is such a goof you can't help but love him. The transformation for the finisher was actually pretty sick. Hope they put it to good use in later episodes. I wonder what the deal with the guy at the end was too. He seemed like he might be a NEXT.

7Th

BluWacky said:

It isn't a bad, BAD movie, it just happens to be unwarrantedly long and bloated with a bunch of pointless plot lines.

BluWacky said:
My favourite is the slow-as-molasses Princess Arete, from Studio 4C. Brilliant film that virtually no-one's seen - and at least this has an excellent translation courtesy of veteran fansubber roxfan (is he still working? Hardcore Yoko Kanno fan and always seemed to have excellent taste in shows to translate.)

It's funny that you mention Princess Arete since it is by the same team that, later, did Mai Mai Miracle.

BluWacky

7Th said:
It's funny that you mention Princess Arete since it is by the same team that, later, did Mai Mai Miracle.

I had no idea. Guess I'd better get around to watching Mai Mai Miracle then.

This is what happens when you mostly give up anime for a couple of years :(

Deadman Wonderland 3

Another good episode. We learned a bit more about Ganta's powers and another blood manipulator got introduced. Tornado scene was neat but probably censored.

Now onto the corresponding manga chapters.

/XX/

firehawk12 said:
Oo, feminist anime film from the dudes who made Mai Mai Miracle?
Oh, man! I was going to post here part of the column (or diary) that Sunao Katabuchi had (http://www.arete.jp/~arete/diary/) in the Princess Arete official website. It was called Mr. Katabuchi ARETE YOMOYAMA STORY and in one of the entries he mentioned how they toned down for the movie the clear-cut feminist theme from the original The Clever Princess text, but now the entire site seems to be down. I remember it was still there a couple of months ago!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
Oh, man! I was going to post here part of the column (or diary) that Sunao Katabuchi had (http://www.arete.jp/~arete/diary/) in the Princess Arete official website. It was called Mr. Katabuchi ARETE YOMOYAMA STORY and in one of the entries he mentioned how they toned down the clear-cut feminist theme from the original The Clever Princess text for the movie, but now the entire site seems to be down. I remember it was still there a couple of months ago!
Jeez, it was too feminist? Did it go all the way around to misandry or something? :lol

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
Its all your fault Genijin, take responsibility for it.
How do you suggest I do that? =P

Joule said:
How is this a just world?! : /
Being more than best friends can never end well.

Erigu said:
Not another series, but there will be (a tiny bit) more animated Amagami, apparently: two DVDs with new, short sequences for each of the 6 main heroines. They should be sent towards the end of May, in exchange for the proofs of purchase of the main series' video releases (Japan, you so crafty). Not much, but I'm looking forward to more ridiculous stuff from the game.
I wasn't aware of this. Really nice if it includes more ridiculous moments.

And crafty? More like genius.

BluWacky

firehawk12 said:
Jeez, it was too feminist? Did it go all the way around to misandry or something? :lol

Basically. Wikipedia links to a paper discussing (in not very much detail if you ask me) the original fairy tale the story was based on - being a fairy tale, the characterisation was originally somewhat shallow, with all the women being wonderful and all the men being evil. The anime evens this out slightly without diluting the main thrust of the story.

/XX/

flawfuls said:
Meanwhile, in Germany they released the DVD version (also dubbed in German) less than a month after the Japanese one (http://www.universumanime.de/dvd/movie_sales.html?ID=70250ed3-b64b-4216-97b3-fde466881a88&s=).

firehawk12 said:
Very, very near from that. It spawned from the early 80's feminist movement, and Diana Coles was part of it (the tale was first published in 1983). Jack Zipes mentions the female writers of the genre at that time and her intentions:

The feminist movement made its way into fairy tale writing between 1979 and 1983. . . . and during this period, male and female writers began an important dialogue about what constituted a fairy tale. As a reaction to sexist, racist and classist leanings of canonical tales, feminist writers began to subvert the older stories and create new ones.
In the case of The Clever Princess tale, practically all the male characters are either very evil, like Boax, or simply stupid.

Now I see that BluWacky already mentioned the paper from where I extracted this fragment, sorry!

Rektash

Reminder! Anime-Gaf now has its own IRC channel! Come join us if you haven't already. Strangely enough people don't seem to leave and we are around 30 people right now:

AnimeGaf's IRC channel:
Our very own AnimeGAF IRC channel. Please join in :).

We are located on: irc.enterthegame.com
Our Channel is: #AnimeGAF

Joule

flawfuls said:
Making of Fireball

So fucking awesome. I thought it was going to be a real making of thing, but it's actually a parody behind the scenes interview thing with Drossel and the big robot dude.
"I've always wanted to try that" Hah. I'm quite glad that there is a second season. It'd be so boss if they could keep making this series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BluWacky said:
Basically. Wikipedia links to a paper discussing (in not very much detail if you ask me) the original fairy tale the story was based on - being a fairy tale, the characterisation was originally somewhat shallow, with all the women being wonderful and all the men being evil. The anime evens this out slightly without diluting the main thrust of the story.

/XX/ said:
In the case of The Clever Princess tale, practically all the male characters are either very evil, like Boax, or simply stupid.

Now I see that BluWacky already mentioned the paper from where I extracted this fragment, sorry!

Huh, that seems rather mild now, but then again the feminist and queer movements were somewhat separate back then I suppose.

Still, it makes me want to check this out even more. :lol

flawfuls

Joule said:
"I've always wanted to try that" Hah. I'm quite glad that there is a second season. It'd be so boss if they could keep making this series.

I hope so. It shouldn't cost that much with every season being like 20 minutes long.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hanasaku Iroha Episode 04:
Pretty fun episode. Minchi is in friendzone lane and Ohana is still messing things up with her so good times!

AnoHana victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom