• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
They never explained why they thought it was a good idea to apply Drucker to the baseball team. Suddenly, ALL the managers have copies of the damn book and are getting ideas from it and shoehorning it into running the baseball team. My brain hurt trying to understand the leap of logic it took to get to those points.

Didn't Minami basically say in the first episode that she might as well use the book because she already paid the money for it? Obviously since its been working she stuck with it, and therefore everyone else grabbed a copy.

zeroshiki

Instro said:
Didn't Minami basically say in the first episode that she might as well use the book because she already paid the money for it? Obviously since its been working she stuck with it, and therefore everyone else grabbed a copy.

Yeah but she had a hard time connecting anything in the book to baseball even from the start. Any normal sane person would have given up with a shrug and chalked up the 2100 yen to experience.

Also, where is everybody? I blame jman for the IRC thing.

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
They never explained why they thought it was a good idea to apply Drucker to the baseball team. Suddenly, ALL the managers have copies of the damn book and are getting ideas from it and shoehorning it into running the baseball team. My brain hurt trying to understand the leap of logic it took to get to those points.

Poor logic in bad anime based on questionable source material about a random plot gimmick? You don't say!

jman2050

zeroshiki said:
Yeah but she had a hard time connecting anything in the book to baseball even from the start. Any normal sane person would have given up with a shrug and chalked up the 2100 yen to experience.

Also, where is everybody? I blame jman for the IRC thing.

eh we're still moving at a decent pace despite IRC.

Really, we usually just get spurts of activity when certain subjects come up and when Thursday shows roll around.

Lain

zeroshiki said:
Well, four eyes guy had a copy already in 1st episode, robot girl is a model student
don't call her a model student!
so she probably had a copy already hanging somewhere at her house I bet, plus she should be good enough to understand and apply it.
At least that's how I can make sense of it.

Another thing I like about Moshidora, is the epiphany Minami seems to experience every time she connects something from the book to an application for the team.

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
Poor logic in bad anime based on questionable source material about a random plot gimmick? You don't say!

Eh, I wouldn't have minded if the show didn't sound like an infomercial for Drucker's Management. They just kept going on and on about the stuff written in the book verbatim and trying to find analogues in baseball. Hey guys, MAYBE this stuff just doesn't apply? No? But apparently, YOU too can be succesful if you follow these easy steps!

jman2050 said:
eh we're still moving at a decent pace despite IRC.
Really, we usually just get spurts of activity when certain subjects come up and when Thursday shows roll around.

I'm just bitter I can't get on ;_;

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
Eh, I wouldn't have minded if the show didn't sound like an infomercial for Drucker's Management. They just kept going on and on about the stuff written in the book verbatim and trying to find analogues in baseball. Hey guys, MAYBE this stuff just doesn't apply? No? But apparently, YOU too can be succesful if you follow these easy steps!

The crappy title should have given you a hint! Bail out before it's too late!

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
The crappy title should have given you a hint! Bail out before it's too late!

I thought they might have had a clever way to tie them together. I didn't expect to find my college professors in anime. Consider me bailed out!

Instro

zeroshiki said:
I thought they might have had a clever way to tie them together. I didn't expect to find my college professors in anime. Consider me bailed out!

I bet Peter Drucker has a way to fix that problem!

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
Wait, you mean the obvious blatant product placement was, in fact, blatant product placement and not something else.

Really?

Management is an old book (wiki says 1973). There was no way that was product placement. They wanted to preach about management philosophies. I just wanted them to do it in an entertaining way.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Management is an old book (wiki says 1973). There was no way that was product placement. They wanted to preach about management philosophies. I just wanted them to do it in an entertaining way.
The book supposedly sold well in japan at least, lol.

Lotte's Toy 03 - so cute... also, his daughter is pretty good at being decisive. Good for her, mostly.

Geneijin said:
AnoHana spoilers

Right now, the story doesn't give me any reason to think Poppo is bothered about her death nearly as much as the rest of them. Quite frankly, Episode 2 established for me he may have very well moved on. He was ecstatic to hear Menma's possible return instead of bothered by it, and his journey of self-discovery sounds like he's enjoying life, not typical of someone mourning over a person's death. If Menma's death had an effect on him, what could it be then? The way the story had him involved with contacting Yukiatsu and reuniting Jinta and Anaru for a brief moment to mend their relationship, his role in the main story feels similar to what Menma was for everyone in their childhood: getting them together.
Yeah, he's enjoying life, but my point is, why did he end up that way? Maybe he was going to be that way anyway, but maybe not. We don't know enough yet to say. They may not go there, but they might, we'll have to see.

I'll just say if you're as gullible as I am and knew nothing about AnoHana besides the description like me,
her family reunion scene might have felt more emotionally-laden and added to the emotional manipulation they were building up to. You can say it's a weak reason to not spoil it, but I felt there was a deliberate purpose for what they were trying to do if that was their intention to put it shortly.
Menma's family reunion scene was kind of touching, yeah... but still, no, I don't think that's a good enough reason to not spoil that she's dead. It's the whole point of the show after all, that she died. Talking about a show without mentioning the thing that makes it what it is... it's hard to say much of anything about something without doing that.

Think of her hanging out with her new friends like drinking alcohol. You get a temporarily relief when you're drinking, but as soon as it's over, you're still left as terrible as you were before if you were drinking to reduce your stress.

As to there not being enough drama, I find more trouble predicting it than needing it ever since Episode 2's certain development.
On your first point, yeah, probably so.

As for the second, I agree there too, it is hard to predict. I have no idea where it's going to go, really...

Amen to that.
Which is why the lack of focus on Poppo feels like he has moved on for me! =)
He acts like he's moved on, I'll give you that, I just am not so sure, even after ep. 3.

Of course though, ep. 3 adds the new plot of creepy Yukiatsu messing with the others, pretending to be Menma, lying about seeing her, etc... what IS his goal... but I said that in my post about ep. 3.

Edit: I'll write a better reply later.
Oh really? Not needed really, but a reply to my ep. 3 post would be nice.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Sucker otaku will buy anything apparently.
No, Moshidora popped up in a little economist article once. Apparently young businesswomen like it.

here we go:

Like many young businesswomen across Japan this year, Ms Osanai became an instant fan—not of baseball, but of the late management guru, Peter Drucker. After reading the book, she says, she started treating colleagues and customers differently. As news of the novel travelled from office to café to home, its sales topped 1m. According to the publisher, the cutesy manga cover was aimed more at attracting salarymen than women. Yet almost half of the buyers have been female. What’s more, sales for Drucker’s original works, such as “Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices”, published in 1973, have soared. Some 300,000 copies of the book have sold in the past six months, compared with 100,000 copies in the previous 26 years.

Lain

I never watched AnoHana, so I can objectively say that it sucks, but has there been any defection from Team Iroha yet?
I'm getting ready to start watching it now that some episodes are available.

zeroshiki

Lain said:
I never watched AnoHana, so I can objectively say that it sucks, but has there been any defection from Team Iroha yet?

There couldn't possibly have been because they'd be dead if so.

Izayoi

Banned
Ore-tachi 1. What the fuck?

Lain said:
They're both good.

So watch both of them.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:
It won't make sense until Episode 4.

@Izayoi: See, I've never seen the show so I'm not sure if this is Geneijin trolling you or being serious but do you really wanna ruin your life to find out?

Soma

Lain said:
Having just watched AnoHana 1-3 for me it's......

...both!

I dunno I cant choose between the two, they're both very well done and I'm definitely following both of them. I will say i'm a tad more interested to see how AnoHana pans out.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
See, I've never seen the show so I'm not sure if this is Geneijin trolling you or being serious.
I give everything four episodes either way, but that was easily the least cohesive episode of any anime I've seen so far this season, and that's saying something. The ending made it even worse. What in the fuck is even.

Oh, speaking of which.

Nichijou 1 & 2. It's rare that I stop watching an anime because it's too good. I feel like if I rush through this one it will be over before I know it and I'll just be sad. Plus, my face hurts from laughing so much, so I had to stop anyway. It's a true gem.

Dresden

I'm starting to buy into the Team AnoHana thing. Ratings for noitaminA apparently hit 3.9% this week--and I doubt [C] is the reason here. People like their ghostly lolis.

To compare it to last season...

*0.9%(*1.3%) 03/24 25:55-25:25 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
See, I've never seen the show so I'm not sure if this is Geneijin trolling you or being serious.
I was being serious. It's that bad but I'm following it. Don't ask why. :lol

First 3 episodes feel so directionless. Episode 4 is no different. There's no semblance of an overall main story until Episode 4 when the big reveal is laid out bare.
No subtlety. No foreshadowing. Just thrown out there. It's an insult to bad writing.

Dresden said:
I'm starting to buy into the Team AnoHana thing. Ratings for noitaminA apparently hit 3.9% this week--and I doubt [C] is the reason here. People like their ghostly lolis.
So you'll come join? You're more than welcome.

Articalys

Nichijou 5 still isn't back to the same level as 1 or 2; the god-tier Mai trolling is starting to get a bit stale. Way better face expressions this time, especially with the opening spiritualist and cool guy bits. The daruma hammer game was the highlight, despite lasting all of 30 seconds. I'm a sucker for slapstick humor like that.

TheOddOne

Hanasaku Iroha 05 - We get it, she loves the dude.
Ao no Exorcist 03 - What the fuck is Johnny Depp doing in this? What is this shit I don't even. Yukio is a BOSS though.

Geneijin

Izayoi said:
I give everything four episodes either way, but that was easily the least cohesive episode of any anime I've seen so far this season, and that's saying something. The ending made it even worse. What in the fuck is even.
If you thought that was bad, Oretachi Tsubasa Episode 2 (NSFW).

It's one of those times where the anime would be better off fully committing to the debauchery and become a full-fledged fanservice anime. Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi is a pretty bland and below average harem anime this season with a horribly slow pace, yet Oretachi Tsubasa fails at executing its hackneyed plot although, to be fair, it does have a special plot twist. However, it's not like it's treating the plot twist with any severity, and there's no way they will since it is an ecchi and fanservice anime. So what are we left with? Watch up to Episode 4 and you'll see my point. The characters are pretty dull, and there's no existence of an overarching plot. So you're left wondering where is the direction and what are you following exactly.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:

It's one of those times where the anime would be better off fully committing to the debauchery and become a full-fledged fanservice anime. Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi is a pretty bland and below average harem anime this season with a horribly slow pace, yet Oretachi Tsubasa fails at executing its hackneyed plot although, to be fair, it does have a special plot twist. However, it's not like it's treating the plot twist with any severity, and there's no way they will since it is an ecchi and fanservice anime. So what are we left with? Watch up to Episode 4 and you'll see my point. The characters are pretty dull, and there's no existence of an overarching plot. So you're left wondering where is the direction and what are you following exactly.

So are you telling us what icarus-deadalus like suicide-death-pact you have that compelled you to spend 4 episodes on Oretachi Tsubasa Wa Nai?

Lain

Iroha 4 was so weird.
I mean,
Minchi tried to strangle to Ohana
. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh or be scared. Also, Minchi sucks at the URASAI URASAI! No one does it as masterfully as the queen.
Gonna watch 5 and then start on AnoHana.

Iroha 5 10 minutes in and I want to strangle Minko.

Articalys

Well, after discovering the ending song, I finally got around to giving Tiger & Bunny 1 a shot. Looks pretty fun and it's nice to have a main character who isn't high-school age; it also has a standard 25 ep. run so it'll be around for the summer too. Probably the main plot thread will involve some sort of corporate corruption of the whole Hero system.
Lain said:
Iroha 5 10 minutes in and I want to strangle Minko.
While this is partly true at least she was correct in telling Ohana to STFU and mind her own business.

It definitely cements my ranking of the "plot-based" shows as Denpa > AnoHana > Iroha right now, though.

Geneijin

I just saw the AnoHana Episode 4 preview. I wish we had animated avatars back ;_;

I need a .gif of Yukiatsu stat.
Also, Anaru has a ponytail this time. What do the critics say? Better or worse than the twintails?

zeroshiki said:
So are you telling us what icarus-deadalus like suicide-death-pact you have that compelled you to spend 4 episodes on Oretachi Tsubasa Wa Nai?
Not quite but close enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
That too.

They most likely listen/watch/buy Johnny's stuff too so you have a point.
It's information condensed in an entertaining form. There are lot of those books on the English side as well that I used to read - I still liked the Quantum Mechanics comic book thing that I found ages ago.

Danj

Geneijin said:

Wow. What the heck is this show? But anyway I saw Navel mentioned in the OP so I'm guessing it's an eroge conversion? Honestly, I think that sometimes with those things they really ought to either just make it all ages (if possible) or go down the full on hentai route, not this half-assed half-and-half crap.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:
I need a .gif of Yukiatsu stat.
Also, Anaru has a ponytail this time. What do the critics say? Better or worse than the twintails?

Twintail is the best tail.

Hair down Anaru > all though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
firehawk12 said:
Hen Zemi, really.
There is nothing rude, ecchi, or hilarious about most of Hen S/Zemi TV. And I say that as someone who is kind of a fan. Their handling of lecherous material is pathetic, falling far far far on to the safe side of things. It pales in comparison to the OVA.

Oh hey, beaten.

Jex

Aigis said:
Dororon Enma-kun
It really does embrace such ridiculous fanservice as if it were commonplace.
Steroyd said:
I wouldn't say Hen Semi is hilarious, rude and ecchi, the OVA's are, the TV series is just lacking it completely and replaces ecchi with disgusting.
It really does work hard at being disgusting though. Not that I'm claiming that's an admirable quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom