• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
I wouldn't say Hen Semi is hilarious, rude and ecchi, the OVA's are, the TV series is just lacking it completely and replaces ecchi with disgusting.
I dunno, fetishes are fetishes. They just move from the obviously sexual ones to the more psychological ones because of TV censorship, but I think it makes it more clever than going for the obvious sex jokes.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Unless they go AnoHana with it, there are not going to be any triangles. At best, you have another herp derp dawwwwww misunderstanding.
Maybe we'll get a love dodecahedron.
firehawk12 said:
Shouwa Monogatari 2 I suppose this is also one of the advantages of anime, since I imagine it would be cost prohibitive to try to do this in live action. Of course, most people tend to use the advantages of the medium to have robot harem magical girlfriend wincest stories, so maybe it's all lost on us. :lol
Well, it's nice to have a break from those, once in a change. Historical settings could be explored by anime far more often than they are.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Maybe we'll get a love dodecahedron.
They're all part of the same psyche, so it's all masturbation!
Well, it's nice to have a break from those, once in a change. Historical settings could be explored by anime far more often than they are.
Yeah, but historical slice of life is probably a harder sell than contemporary slice of life. I'm sure Taishou Baseball Girls was only made because of the pseudo-yuri moe.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Well, that's what stockings and garters are for, surely? It's zettai ryouki for grownups.
I thought zettai ryouki was zettai ryouki for creepy grown ups already?
trejo said:
Yeah, Halycon. Don't be such a monocled hentai snob.
Someone has to help push the standards up!
Izayoi said:
Hidan no Aria 1, 2, & 3. Well... it's a JCStaffxRie production, that's for sure. And uh... yeah.
It sure exists.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
They should make a historical romantic comedy set in the 70s or 80s. Modern technology cheapens the possible situations you can get out of a romance!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I thought zettai ryouki was zettai ryouki for creepy grown ups already?
I meant for the character, not the people with the male gaze. :lol

Lafiel said:
They should make a historical romantic comedy set in the 70s or 80s. Modern technology cheapens the possible situations you can get out of a romance!
Letters and rotary phones baby! Imagine the possibilities!

Jex

Halycon said:
HanaIro 5: Kind of boring after watching Denpa Onna. Needs more crazy girls in futons.
You've been corrupted!
Aigis said:
A-1 did Occult Academy and Fractale. I'll always hold that against them.
Those are weak shows, but even the best studios have produced good stuff and crap stuff throughout their existence.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Well, unless they do tone whiplast half-way in and it turns out that Ohana needs to pilot a mech in order to save the universe.
It would be awesome if an anime series could pull off that kind of a midway twist. Like in Dawn Till Dusk where you just bring in one genre then switch to another.

Cwarrior

Lain said:
Iroha 4 was so weird.
I mean,
Minchi tried to strangle to Ohana
. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh or be scared. Also, Minchi sucks at the URASAI URASAI! No one does it as masterfully as the queen.
Gonna watch 5 and then start on AnoHana.

Iroha 5 10 minutes in and I want to strangle Minko.

Every line that comes out her mouth makes me want to strangle her even more, hope they stop giving her lines and make her into background character like tenten.

Jex

Izayoi said:
Hyouge Mono 1, 2, & 3. Tea. Serious business. Also a reaction face goldmine.
Jason would die if he ever blogged that show.
Geneijin said:
Edit: If you think that's not a lot compare to last summer, I don't know what else to tell you. Plenty to watch unlike last year from now!
Nastume alone is enough for me.
duckroll said:
Poor logic in bad anime based on questionable source material about a random plot gimmick? You don't say!
Owch.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well started up Boku no Pico and this came up and I started laughing:
BKuxW.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
InfiniteNine said:
Ahahaha, I screencapped that as well when I made my troll post.

Steroyd

Dance In My Blood said:
I don't know if this makes up for the rest of the episode or not:

http://i.picpar.com/3eae113dab7610855e82d42405fdac134fc3ca1d.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

What is this?

[quote] Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[/quote]

I was like, oh no she isn't and then I was like YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WTF MAN!!!

Jex

Denpa 3

Moe'd and Aunt fanservice'd up to the nines. I guess they have to do something to distract from the terribly dull protagonist.

Show Monogatari 2

I don't know if it's even possible to make such a fashion faux pas!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
InfiniteNine said:
BKuxW.jpg
Might as well skip to Pico to Chico and the grand finale, Pico X Chico X Coco. True artistic nature there.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt 1-13:

Engrish in animated form, and accordingly more tiresome with the extra media. It had its moments though.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
I'm starting to buy into the Team AnoHana thing. Ratings for noitaminA apparently hit 3.9% this week--and I doubt [C] is the reason here. People like their ghostly lolis.

To compare it to last season...

Those are some high numbers. Wasn't this week golden week though? Maybe that affected it somehow.

Jex

Nichijou 5

I still only found about 10% of this episode to be entertaining, by which I mean funny, but never mind. The scenes that worked for me, such as the drawing scene, worked pretty damn well.

The production values are still through the roof, which may be the reason I'm still paying attention to this show. I'd like to single out the music as being one of the shows better features, but nearly every part of the show is made at a high standard.

Dororon 4

I really appreciate that this show knows what it is and so it plays directly to these strengths at all times. In a weird way this makes it 'pure'.

Even if there's nothing from this season that will be making it's way in to my top anime list (so far) I really don't think that's a problem considering the depth and breadth of shows on offer. Marathon these works in quick succession certainly helps me appreciate how different they are from one another.

I'd prefer a season like this, with seven or eight enjoyable shows that are different from each other, to a season with one good show and twenty terrible ones.

Jexhius said:
It would be awesome if an anime series could pull off that kind of a midway twist. Like in Dawn Till Dusk where you just bring in one genre then switch to another.

Genre shifts aren't exactly super uncommon in anime/manga.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
Genre shifts aren't exactly super uncommon in anime/manga.

The ones that exist are almost always shifts from X to battle manga/anime.

My favourite genre shift was I am a Hero's shift from a very realistic story about a guy trying to make it into the world of manga to a zombie apocalypse story. That was more of a Madoka style bait and switch as opposed to a midway genre shift though.

Jex

flawfuls said:
I guess that's the shift that comes from the business people in the manga business?

Also, I see a Madoka cafe is opening. Of course.

Cwarrior

Maison ikkoku ep29

Throw people down well, then sit back and watch shit stir

yotsuya is awesome notice his voice by the guy who does captain buggy

Thanks to the French with them messing anime names it took me a while to recognize i watched a bit of this show before under the name Juliette je t'aime

the French love to fuck with anime names

jeanne et serge = Attacker You!
Olive et Tom = Captain Tsubasa
Nicky larson= City Hunter

flawfuls said:

My favourite genre shift was I am a Hero's shift from a very realistic story about a guy trying to make it into the world of manga to a zombie apocalypse story. That was more of a Madoka style bait and switch as opposed to a midway genre shift though.

True. Hell, the pic for the tvtropes page for Genre Shift is even Negima.

Still, there are a bunch that aren't battle ones.

jman2050

Jexhius said:
Also, I see a Madoka cafe is opening. Of course.

If each table doesn't have a life-size Kyubey replica with voice-activated ordering mechanisms telling people to make a contract for their food, then they have failed miserably.

cosmicblizzard said:
True. Hell, the pic for the tvtropes page for Genre Shift is even Negima.

Still, there are a bunch that aren't battle ones.

Nanoha has one of the more jarring Genre Shifts I've seen (does it even count as a genre shift? Eh, regardless, it's some sort of shift). Fortunately it ended up for the better.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 1

Well that was a lot better than the OVA. Miyu doesn't fuck around. Figured that dude would survive a bit longer since he seemed to be important, but I guess this is a series where anyone can die.

Jex

Kaiji 4

Things are definitely starting to look up. It's excellent to see
Kaiji return to his strengths.

The pacing seems to be off the charts as well, it really looks like (although I can't know for certain) they're smiling down the experience from the manga quite a bit. There just seems to be less fluff.

Hanasaku Iroha

Well, I can accept a "misunderstanding" themed episode every now and again.

Jex

Articalys said:
Is there some source on this?
Of course: http://extrovertedotaku.blogspot.com/2011/05/madoka-magica-cafe-opens-tomorrow.html.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, of Colony Drop fame, writers about Madoka, on Colony Drop! This is perhaps the most level-headed article that I've seen written following the shows finale, which isn't really surprising considering that CD are rumoured to actually read their articles for spelling mistakes before they post them! Obviously, some spoilers within, I guess - http://www.colonydrop.com/index.php/2011/04/30/2011-dark-magical-girl-cartoons-that-actually-came-out-really-good-puella-magi-madoka-magica?blog=1
Joe Molotov said:
Like when High School of the Dead shifted from a zombie show into a documentary about advanced breast physics.
So...episode one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom