• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
Tiger and Bunny 1 (1 minute 23 seconds in). Well then. I think this is the fastest I've ever dropped an anime before.

I dropped a couple harem anime after seeing a couple of girls bouncing around in the OP.

Izayoi said:
Tiger and Bunny 1 (1 minute 23 seconds in). Well then. I think this is the fastest I've ever dropped an anime before.
What? You watch 4 episodes of Sengoku Boobs but can't give Tiger and Bunny one?

Izayoi

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
What? You watch 4 episodes of Sengoku Boobs but can't give Tiger and Bunny one?
Sengoku Boobs didn't wave some bank, something else, Bandai, Pepsi MAX, and ustream at me less than two minutes in.

I'm sorry, but no. Sunrise went overboard. I can handle Pizza Hut. This is on a completely different level.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
Sengoku Boobs didn't wave some bank, something else, Bandai, Pepsi MAX, and ustream at me less than two minutes in.

I'm sorry, but no. Sunrise went overboard. I can handle Pizza Hut. This is on a completely different level.

But Softbank is not a bank!

Articalys

Izayoi said:

You're dropping it solely because of the product placement? Did you not watch any of the movies mentioned in this thread then?
Anyway, it's supposed to be a tounge-in-cheek part of the show. If that doesn't jive with you, it's probably just not your style.

Dresden

Izayoi said:

It's all in good fun, man.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
But Softbank is not a bank!
After a quick Google search, sure enough! If I ever need a handset plan in Japan, I'll know who to call.

My point still stands though. That's just unacceptable.

zeroshiki

Hitokage said:
The call is out for awesomely bad late 80s/early 90s OVAs.

We're going through with it?

Izayoi said:
After a quick Google search, sure enough! If I ever need a handset plan in Japan, I'll know who to call.

Their mascot is adorable

otosan.gif

Izayoi said:

But thats the whole point. They're corporate sponsored heros to deal with the fact that superheros cause a lot of collateral damage. In this universe the sponsors foot the bill when the heros break shit so its in the sponsors interest to keep their heros in line. The conflict comes from he main character having to deal with his ideals as a hero and the wishes of his sponsor and the HeroTV program. Bandai decided to have real companies sponsor them because it would give it a bit flavor to it and, hey, its a great way to make some extra money. Beyond the logos appearing on the hero's suits the real companies products really aren't pushed at all.

trejo

Izayoi said:

You have some weird standards.

Izayoi

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
But thats the whole point. They're corporate sponsored heros to deal with the fact that superheros cause a lot of collateral damage. In this universe the sponsors foot the bill when the heros break shit so its in the sponsors interest to keep their heros in line. The conflict comes from he main character having to deal with his ideals as a hero and the wishes of his sponsor and the HeroTV program. Bandai decided to have real companies sponsor them because it would give it a bit flavor to it and, hey, its a great way to make some extra money. Beyond the logos appearing on the hero's suits the real companies products really aren't pushed at all.
Well then, that's good to know. I'll give it a shot I suppose.

trejo said:
You have some weird standards.
In that I don't like it when people cram advertising down my throat? I generally watch anime to escape the real world, not be constantly reminded of it. If what Hellsing said is true that's fine, since it seems like they aren't going to forcefeed it to me - that's just what it seemed like at first. That'll show me to break my rule, I guess.

Jex

Izayoi said:
The hell is this, after watching four episodes of a bunch of random bad shows you drop a good one instantly?

That's like complaining about advertising in a sports event.

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
The hell is this, after watching four episodes of a bunch of random bad shows you drop a good one instantly?
Like I said, I wasn't aware the logos were in jest and won't be focused on. It just jumped out at me before anything else and I figured that it was going to be low-budget tripe constantly trying to choke me with ads. I've been told that isn't the case, so I'll give the show a shot.

Jex

MCD said:
The clean image quality is worth it.
It certainly looks very nice, but this might be on the very few times I sacrifice image quality to stick with the original art.
Izayoi said:
Like I said, I wasn't aware the logos were in jest and won't be focused on. It just jumped out at me before anything else and I figured that it was going to be low-budget tripe constantly trying to choke me with ads. I've been told that isn't the case, so I'll give the show a shot.
Fair enough!

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
You missed out on Black Lion!

Izayoi said:
It's a fun superhero story, really. Nice humor, lovable lead... enjoying it a lot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah...

Black Lion Dub: Amazing as always, and always fun with other people watching it too.

Nanoha movie: Shotas ruin everything.

jman2050

Black Lion - Magnificent, glorious, insert other superlatives here etc etc. Excellent choice.

Nanoha movie - Whether one liked it or not, it actually proved to be much better MST3K material than expected.

Jex

It's not like the Nanoha movie murdered by family or anything, it just wasn't put together with any artistry, but that isn't anything new for anime series that get turned into movies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Black Lion - Words cannot describe how awesome this was. All anime is going feel soulless after experiencing true artistry like this!

Magical Girl Nahoha : the movie - Don't really have a opinion on this, since i barely watched it (was to busy to watch all of it) - but poor editing and very cliched from what i saw, and kinda boring to boot.:p

Branduil

jman2050 said:
You hate IRC, why should we tell you anything?
I don't hate it, I just don't want to be on it 24 hours a day.

But hey if you guys want to do your own thing and not post on the board when you're going to do the watching thing even though it was my idea, whatever...

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
You missed out on Black Lion!

It's a fun superhero story, really. Nice humor, lovable lead... enjoying it a lot.

;_; I hate you all!!!

I'll do the weekend showing if y'all haven't burnt yourselves out yet.

Steroyd

Izayoi said:

I know you've been convinced to watch past the OP (lol), but steel yourself through halfway as well. This is one of those rare shows where product placement makes sense.

Jex

Branduil said:
No one told me we were doing the watching thing tonight
Because there is no planning. Not that I was even awake when it started.

Maybe next time it will be arranged with times and stuff.

Dog Days 05 - This show is pretty weird, part ridiculous fighting anime and part generic harem junk. The second half of this episode was super generic and bland stuff, but the first half was fun stuff. My favorite part was when the main character suddenly started bleeeding and it turned chibi, it was funny to see it admit that doing that kind of ridiulous-awesome main character move actually had consequences. :)

It was also amusing to see the other princess (or is she queen now? I'm not sure what her title is, but she's their leader.) come in and stop the fight dead, knocking everyone out in the process. Also there's a little bit more plot development --
So the dog princess only recently became monarch (shouldn't she be queen? Isn't that a kingdom, and not a principality?) and doubts her abilities. Our hero cheers her up. Leon (the other princess) says that dog princess's idea of not having wars but instead having picking stuff contests, swimming contests, etc. isn't good -- that some people need violence, and her other things won't be good enough to make them happy on their own. So is that why she's being unfriendly now, while the two princesses used to be good friends? I'm not sure who is more right here, it'd be nice if the dog princess was but in a fantasy world it might indeed not work... we'll see, if they actually go somewhere interesting with the plot. I'm not expecting much, this show is very heavily focused on the fighting first and foremost, plot and harem antics are much lower in importance.

Anyway, overall, this show is amusing enough to watch. Brain-off as I've said, this is definitely not a good show objectively, but it definitely has its silly parts and amusing fights so it's entertaining anyway.

Black Lion dub - Oh so awesome... it didn't just meet expectations, it blew them away. This OVA has hilariously bad writing, poor voice acting, no beginning, an inconclusive ending, and more! The story's absurd, with a random mix of the sengoku period and high technology (Nobunaga has mechs and machine guns!), and it was amusing to watch, but the real star here is the English script. It's just so hilariously bad, it's hard to imagine how absurd Black Lion's script is until you actually watch it. Lines like these don't come along often... Watch it.

To paraphrase part of the ending, 'I am Black Lion, a peaceful warrior from the Dark Planet and a goodguy who is your ally'... thinking about that line hurts my brain, it makes so little sense...

Nanoha the movie 1st - I posted about this in length back when I first watched it, saying how much I liked it, and I still do. I wish it didn't have the loli fanservice (it is unfortunate that they added more than the TV series had, bad decision), but I really like the action and the story. The story does work better in the anime, because of all the cuts they had to make to fit it into two hours (a LOT of important stuff is cut, you do need to have seen the series to get the most out of this movie), but the action is improved here -- the fights are great. And even if the story isn't as good, they add some scenes that weren't in the original series, which add some interesting elements that are nice to know. I don't know how well this movie stands on its own, but it's a pretty good supplement to the TV series and I like it a lot. Overall Nanoha the movie 1st was among 2010's best anime.

Izayoi

Banned
Well... Tiger and Bunny Episode 1 (the whole thing this time). Huh, that was pretty good. I'm a sucker for lovable superhero leads (because it seems like there are so few nowadays). Count me in. Never again will I break my four episode rule.

Oh, and since you all apparently watched Nanoha tonight, I saw the movie a while ago. I thought it did a decent job of compressing the series and cutting filler. Action was great and Feito was lovable as always. I'm curious to see how they'll cram the entire second season into a movie, though...

Black Lion

Absolutely glorious.

Nanoha Movie

Eh, wasn't really paying attention and was doing other stuff while it was on in the background. What I did see wasn't bad though. I think I'd rather watch the tv series, but at least the beamspam and that one scene (you know the one) was fuckawesome. I definitely wasn't as critical of it as the rest of you crazies.

Now back to bed (fuckin dogs waking me up :/)

trejo

Black Lion That was truly glorious. A crowning achievement in entertainment.

Nanoha movie Fun times, all in all. It's really dragged down by the actual story parts when they could be doing more beam spam. And yes, shotas are the worst.

Dresden

Bunch of shota haters in here.

Black Lion - Watched once before, even better second time around.

Nanoha The Movie 1st - yellow loli > other loli > furry shota > booby furry > friends > emoshota

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
We should totally do a gundam.

Serious choice: Char's Counterattack
Joke choice: something from SEED or Wing

If we did Chars counterattack all we'd be doing is bitching about quess!

Jexhius said:
Because there is no planning. Not that I was even awake when it started.

Maybe next time it will be arranged with times and stuff.
Actually we talked about streaming something yesterday and said we'd try again the next day, with the plan being to watch Black Lion and Nanoha the movie... but it is true that there was no planning as far as timing went, we just did it when someone finally could, and the timing wasn't announced ahead of time, and nothing was announced in the forum.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
If we did Chars counterattack all we'd be doing is bitching about quess!

That's the beauty of it. We can watch Tomino endlessly butcher everyone else while leave this bitch alive.

A Black Falcon said:
Actually we talked about streaming something yesterday and said we'd try again the next day, with the plan being to watch Black Lion and Nanoha the movie... but it is true that ther4e was no planning as far as timing went, we just did it when someone finally could, and nothing was announced ahead of time.

There isn't even a link to the IRC in the OP. We should totally schedule stuff... and stuff.

zeroshiki said:
That's the beauty of it. We can watch Tomino endlessly butcher everyone else while leave this bitch alive.
It's not that show, but the current plans last I heard for whenever our next shows are Garzey's Wing and Angel Cop. Maybe. Garzey's Wing was written and directed by Tomino, and it's got an awesomely horrible English dub too!

There isn't even a link to the IRC in the OP. We should totally schedule stuff... and stuff.
It's only semi-official, I don't know how much they want us to promote it? Ask the mods what we should do about this.

Izayoi

Banned
flawfuls said:
More shota haters? Damn you all.
Shotas ruin everything.

There are like two, maybe three likable shotas. Ever.

Eh, I take that back. There are no likable shotas.

Actually, there's Conan.

So one. One likable shota.

Oh, and July. Two likable shotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom