• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Izayoi said:
Shotas ruin everything.

There are like two, maybe three likable shotas. Ever.

Eh, I take that back. There are no likable shotas.

Actually, there's Conan.

So one. One likable shota.

Oh, and July. Two likable shotas.
N2J7h.jpg

Branduil

Infinite Justice said:
So you watched stuff together and never said anything to me :(

oh well
It wasn't just you. But I made them promise to post in the thread next time they're going to do it.

And if they don't...
vlcsnap-2011-04-16-14h29m44s35.png

Jex

A Black Falcon said:
It's not that show, but the current plans last I heard for whenever our next shows are Garzey's Wing and Angel Cop. Maybe. Garzey's Wing was written and directed by Tomino, and it's got an awesomely horrible English dub too!
You can't truly appreciate Tomino unless you suffer through his work for 50 episodes.

Articalys

Serial Experiments Lain 11-13
So... yeah. Alright.
I still don't get some of what happened but I think I understand the general gist of the rest, but it's not like there's going to be a test on it later so whatever. At least I can say I've seen it!
Best use of mind-screwy fourth-wall visual effects I've seen in a while though.

Okay, need to pick something a bit less "what the fuck is going on" for my next show to watch (not counting the current season)...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
You can't truly appreciate Tomino unless you suffer through his work for 50 episodes.
I've suffered through 292 episodes of his work in that case! + 4 2-hour films.

Jex

Articalys said:
Okay, need to pick something a bit less "what the fuck is going on" for my next show to watch (not counting the current season)...
Troll answer: Ergo Proxy.

Articalys

Okay, in less confusing stuff, ISML day 4.
She might be the weakest of the 5 K-On entrants, but it's still satisfying to see Mugi get curbstomped 6005-2295 by Kanade. The other weak link, Ui, was barely edged out by Holo by 177 votes. I guess that means Spice and Wolf is going next on my watching list.

Exhibition match was Eureka defeating Klan Klein pretty handily, about 850 votes difference.

mAcOdIn

Damnit, I thought Holo won the whole thing, instead I see that she just relatively barely beat Yui from K-on, looked at the last three winners and have no faith these heathens will let her win in the end. Sometimes I want to watch the world burn with the exception of Russia, they can live since they were her biggest supporters.

Lain

mAcOdIn said:
Damnit, I thought Holo won the whole thing, instead I see that she just relatively barely beat Yui from K-on, looked at the last three winners and have no faith these heathens will let her win in the end. Sometimes I want to watch the world burn with the exception of Russia, they can live since they were her biggest supporters.
If it was against Yui, she would have lost badly I'm sure. She was lucky that it was only her little sister she had to face.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Sounds like the plot to some bad anime.
Hey, major historical events have been put into motion from the most idiotic of ideas and desires, such is man's being, however I fail to see how acknowledging Holo's divinity and superiority could be considered an act so shitty as to be the plot of a bad anime. It's not like I'm putting uzi's on segways I just want to copy Nero.
Uchip said:
but that would mean no more spice and wolf
There already is no more Spice and Wolf!
'cept whatever's in that to be released epilogue, but we can wait until that's out.

Jex

Tiger&Bunny 5

The art and animation seemed to be of a lower grade than previous weeks this episode, and some of the scenes weren't quite as well put-together as in previous weeks, but it was still a fun episode.

However, Tiger needs to stop being completely useless at everything up until the last second. He's a little bit too bumbling.

Jex

Blue Exorcist 2

Well, this is fairly standard stuff. We get
our hero's father/main protector/important figure killed early on so that we can both have an extended action sequence and have our hero start the main 'plot', whatever that will be. The problem with this scenario is that when you murder a very important figure to the main character right at the start the audience doesn't really have any attachment to him and so an event that should be fairly weighty is actually rather light and that isn't a good thing. You can wait, say, seven of eight episodes before pulling that card.

On the production side, that's some lovely animation they've got going on there, with some smashing background animation for the interior of the destroyed chapel.

Blue Exorcist 3

Well, we've arrived at a high school setting. That bodes ill.

Also, the rather important event of the prior episode is regulated to a fairly unimportant place for most of the episode, which is funny because that jives accurately with how much I personally cared about it. The show starts with a light hearted jovial tone and ends the same way. Consequences don't really seem to play much a part in this story!

Oh and then we have the "brother as teacher" plot, which leads to a discussion (well, more of a shout-off) between uninteresting characters.

The cinematography was extremely underwhelming as well. It's rare to see such an interesting set of locations shot in such a boring, rote manner.

As my appetite for shows has been thoroughly sated by this seasons offerings it's an easy enough decision to drop this show.

Dresden

So Fate Zero is coming in October.

Composer Yuki Kajiura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, .hack, Noir, Kara no Kyoukai) confirmed on her Twitter account on Tuesday that she will compose the music for the Fate/Zero television anime series which will launch this October. The anime adapts the prequel novel by Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Phantom - The Animation, Blassreiter) to Type-Moon's Fate/stay night visual novel software. The story is set a decade before Fate/stay night and reveals the 4th Holy Grail War that sets the stage for the war in the software.

Ei Aoki (Hourou Musuko, Ga-Rei: Zero, Girls Bravo) is directing at the anime studio ufotable, and Tomonori Sudou (Coyote Ragtime Show, Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners) and Atsushi Ikariya are adapting the original character designs by novel illustrator Takashi Takeuchi (Fate/stay night, Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners, Tsukihime, Lunar Legend).

Image © Nitroplus/TYPE-MOON・ufotable・FZPC

[Via Gigazine, Moon Phase]

Update: The Gigazine website posted images from the promotional videos that Type-Moon screened for the upcoming Mahō Tsukai no Yoru visual novel, Carnival Phantasm anime, and Fate/Zero anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The father gets more development through flashbacks in the manga, but I doubt they have enough time to do this for a 13 episode anime.

Dresden

Halycon said:
The father gets more development through flashbacks in the manga, but I doubt they have enough time to do this for a 13 episode anime.
It's going to run for 24 episodes, so they should have some time (unless they really rush things, but then, there's not enough material to rush through).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dresden said:
It's going to run for 24 episodes, so they should have some time (unless they really rush things, but then, there's not enough material to rush through).
I see, but I don't think they can get very far in the story. Even the manga is moving at a snail's pace. Expect asspulls.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Halycon said:
Fate/Zero is a full fledged light novel with quite a four volumes out already. The LN series is over so I think they'll be fine.

Dresden

Fate/Zero faces a different challenge, though. They'll need to cram in four novels into (presumably) a single season. And for every missed scene or character Type-Moon fanboys are going to howl. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom