• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Ano Hana 6 - Menma. ;_; Yeah, Jinta is definitely a dead man walking though. You can see the ending from miles away.

Ao no Exorcist 5 - Dem eyebrows.

Finished up Ouran Host Club yesterday

Goddamn amazing! Loved every minute of it, and especially loved the running gag with the banana peel. And the Twins are still my fav. characters.

Solid A

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lazybones18 said:
Finished up Ouran Host Club yesterday

Goddamn amazing! Loved every minute of it, and especially loved the running gag with the banana peel. And the Twins are still my fav. characters.

Solid A
If you care about the characters/story, you may want to read the manga since that ended... last year, I think.

Detective Conan 17

Someone's seen Home Alone.

These Junior Detective League episodes offer some variety from the normal mystery structure, but their quality isn't as good. Wacky hijinks are not this show's strength.

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Detective Conan 17

Someone's seen Home Alone.

These Junior Detective League episodes offer some variety from the normal mystery structure, but their quality isn't as good. Wacky hijinks are not this show's strength.
Wait, are you planning on watching all the Detective Conan episodes?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Beelzebub 18
Hey, stuff is finally happening. Too bad the Oga/Tojo fight wasn't really worth all the build up.

Dance In My Blood said:
Beelzebub 18
Hey, stuff is finally happening. Too bad the Oga/Tojo fight wasn't really worth all the build up.

Wait, it's over already? Damn, I wonder if they changed stuff for the fight as well. Gotta get caught up.

Izayoi

Banned
Steins;Gate 7 - Aw shit. I still can't get over how awesome the OP song is. Anyway, why wasn't this an eroge? It definitely had the potential to be. Dat Christina.

Danj

Izayoi said:
Steins;Gate 7 - Aw shit. I still can't get over how awesome the OP song is. Anyway, why wasn't this an eroge? It definitely had the potential to be. Dat Christina.

Hah, I was saying that exact same thing on twitter the other day. There are a few doujins around, but I was real disappointed that the source material was an all ages visual novel.

Although personally I'm more of a Mayushii fan.

Articalys

So wait, I know Steins;Gate is the kind of VN where you can affect the ending with your choices but is there still one "true" ending, or is that not the case? And how has the anime dealt with the branching paths so far?

e: Next round of licenses: Sentai will be bringing over Amagami SS and MM! Lots of double letters there.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
So wait, I know Steins;Gate is the kind of VN where you can affect the ending with your choices but is there still one "true" ending, or is that not the case? And how has the anime dealt with the branching paths so far?
Yup, game has multiple "endings" with one true ending. I'd tell you but I stopped watching because I haven't finished the game completely.

Dresden

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for May 9 - 15
DVD
*1, 10,304 *,*10,304 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku vol.5 Limited Edition
*2, *5,544 *,**5,544 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.3
*3, *2,653 *,**2,653 One Piece 12th Season vol.3
*4, *2,579 *,**2,579 One Piece 12th Season vol.4
*5, *1,306 *,*20,674 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 4 - The Lost Tower Limited Edition
*6, *1,250 *,**1,250 Naruto: Shippuuden Kako hen vol.2
*7, **,865 *,***,865 Gosick vol.1 Special Edition
*8, **,829 *,***,829 Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge vol.5 Limited Edition
*9, **,785*,*59,497 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
10, **,736 1,071,406 My Neighbor Totoro
11, **,724 *,***,724 Kaichou wa Maid-sama! vol.10

Blu-ray
*1, 5,416 **5,416 Strike Witches Blu-ray Box
*2, 2,374 **2,374 Gosick vol.1
*3, 2,363 **2,363 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.4 Limited Edition
*4, 1,911 **1,911 Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! vol.3
*5, 1,485 *59,252 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, 1,396 **1,396 Koe de Oshigoto! vol.2 Limited Edition
*7, 1,104 **1,104 Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *,854 ***,854 Kaichou wa Maid-sama! vol.10 Limited Edition
*9, *,828 103,443 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
10, *,428 *17,328 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.5 Limited Edition
11, *,356 **6,072 Shinryaku! Ika Musume vol.5
12, *,323 111,653 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
13, *,308 111,639 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
14, *,250 **5,039 Amagami SS vol.13 Limited Edition

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
That is the plan, at least until I get bored with them. But I plan on taking breaks between seasons, so I hope I can avoid that.
I'm gonna say you will get bored by the one episode filler plots. They are pretty pointless and the animations at times are just downright horrible. But yeah, try to take breaks or at least avoid some filler episodes.

I didn't do a marathon of the anime from the beginning since I watched the first 100 episodes as a kid, but I did run through the other 400 episodes for about 2 episodes a day. I didn't get burned out by it, but I did find the the kids episodes to be stupid most of the times.

Baccano! 4:

Because the entire thing jumps through time constantly and tells a discontinuous set of non-directly connected stories, it's difficult for me to constantly talk about it every episode. However stuff happens and disparate threads continue to weave together, hopefully to a logical conclusion. Having spoiled myself extensively by reading the stupid Wikpedia entry, I know the anime only occurs during a short time period within the light novel's greater story. So I guess I should be ready for an ending that doesn't resolve anything, since the light novel has stuff that happens afterwards (and before).

I think I watched like 200 episodes of Detective Conan before giving up. I do like the setting, but it's just too episodic with the majority of the show being filler (at least for the first few hundred episodes). The Black Organization didn't show up nearly enough and they were really the only thing to shake up the status quo.

survivor

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I think I watched like 200 episodes of Detective Conan before giving up. I do like the setting, but it's just too episodic with the majority of the show being filler (at least for the first few hundred episodes). The Black Organization didn't show up nearly enough and they were really the only thing to shake up the status quo.
The early episodes are a bit repetitive especially since the characters cast isn't that big at the time. However the one thing I like about them was the locked room cases they had were much better than the later episodes. But I agree on the Black Organization stuff, they should have showed them more often.

tiff

Banned
Dresden said:
Speaking of Strike Witches Blu-rays, I guess the first season Blu-ray+DVD combo that was supposed to come out here is just a DVD set now?

survivor said:
I'm gonna say you will get bored by the one episode filler plots. They are pretty pointless and the animations at times are just downright horrible. But yeah, try to take breaks or at least avoid some filler episodes.

I didn't do a marathon of the anime from the beginning since I watched the first 100 episodes as a kid, but I did run through the other 400 episodes for about 2 episodes a day. I didn't get burned out by it, but I did find the the kids episodes to be stupid most of the times.

I might end up skipping the Junior Detective episodes as time goes on. Mystery and melodrama is what I'm here for, not little kids.

I'm honestly not sure what in Conan can be called filler, considering what little overall plot there is (and at this early point there's none) doesn't seem important. Is the manga any different?

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
I might end up skipping the Junior Detective episodes as time goes on. Mystery and melodrama is what I'm here for, not little kids.

I'm honestly not sure what in Conan can be called filler, considering what little overall plot there is (and at this early point there's none) doesn't seem important. Is the manga any different?
Some cases aren't in the manga so that's pretty much what I consider filler. However you can follow the chapters list put up by DCTP since they go over each story arc and tell you if it's important or if no story developments happen in it. It helped me later on since it made identifying filler chapters much easier.

Articalys

So I take it 5000 units is the baseline "good" sales numbers for the average series, while it trends lower for niche titles and much, much higher (10k+) for the hype-level stuff like IS, Bakemonogatari, K-On and Madoka?

survivor

Banned
Articalys said:
So I take it 5000 units is the baseline "good" sales numbers for the average series, while it trends lower for niche titles and much, much higher (10k+) for the hype-level stuff like IS, Bakemonogatari, K-On and Madoka?
I just follow this list for anime sales. Dunno how accurate it is but seems good to me. So according to it, 5k is considered good and it's the point where a second season is likely to happen.

iavi

Unknown Soldier said:
Baccano! 4:

Because the entire thing jumps through time constantly and tells a discontinuous set of non-directly connected stories, it's difficult for me to constantly talk about it every episode. However stuff happens and disparate threads continue to weave together, hopefully to a logical conclusion. Having spoiled myself extensively by reading the stupid Wikpedia entry, I know the anime only occurs during a short time period within the light novel's greater story. So I guess I should be ready for an ending that doesn't resolve anything, since the light novel has stuff that happens afterwards (and before).
Lol. I didn't even know that there was more to it. The anime ended great in my book.

Unknown Soldier said:
I love how you guys are discussing what may or may not be filler in a shounen series. The whole series is filler compared to most animes! :3

There's a difference between a long shounen series like One Piece that has a clearly defined end point and state of progression and something like Detective Conan where 90% of the episodes can be watched in any order.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
e: Next round of licenses: Sentai will be bringing over Amagami SS and MM! Lots of double letters there.
Sentai licensing those bangers!

Dresden said:
Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for May 9 - 15
DVD
*1, 10,304 *,*10,304 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku vol.5 Limited Edition
*2, *5,544 *,**5,544 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.3
*3, *2,653 *,**2,653 One Piece 12th Season vol.3
*4, *2,579 *,**2,579 One Piece 12th Season vol.4
*5, *1,306 *,*20,674 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 4 - The Lost Tower Limited Edition
*6, *1,250 *,**1,250 Naruto: Shippuuden Kako hen vol.2
*7, **,865 *,***,865 Gosick vol.1 Special Edition
*8, **,829 *,***,829 Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge vol.5 Limited Edition
*9, **,785*,*59,497 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
10, **,736 1,071,406 My Neighbor Totoro
11, **,724 *,***,724 Kaichou wa Maid-sama! vol.10

Blu-ray
*2, 2,374 **2,374 Gosick vol.1
*3, 2,363 **2,363 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.4 Limited Edition
*4, 1,911 **1,911 Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! vol.3
*5, 1,485 *59,252 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, 1,396 **1,396 Koe de Oshigoto! vol.2 Limited Edition
*7, 1,104 **1,104 Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *,854 ***,854 Kaichou wa Maid-sama! vol.10 Limited Edition
*9, *,828 103,443 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
10, *,428 *17,328 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.5 Limited Edition
11, *,356 **6,072 Shinryaku! Ika Musume vol.5
12, *,323 111,653 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
13, *,308 111,639 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
14, *,250 **5,039 Amagami SS vol.13 Limited Edition
Girls shows dominating those DVD charts, with blu-ray kind of bombing this time around.

Baccano! 5:

There IS a persistent pattern so far, they are devoting each episode roughly to developing a group of characters even within the overall story arcs. I guess with only 16 episodes they need to move quickly but so far the story is developing at a good pace. The "Rail Tracer" makes his first appearance in this episode and promptly gets to throwing people off the train to their deaths, though I'm assuming the show is going to hide his true identity for a while longer. (I've been spoiled, but you could guess who the Rail Tracer is from the OP/ED since there is ONE character whose name does not appear in the OP but he is seen briefly in both OP and ED so that's how you know who he has to be.)

Baccano! 6:

Ennis and Chane are both hot when they are kicking ass. That is all.

Baccano! 7:

Ah, THIS is what I've been waiting for. The origin story episode. Now we leap all the way back to 1711 and the beginning of all this nonsense. It all began when a group of alchemists led by Maiza summoned a demon who gave to them the Elixir of Life (called the "Grand Panacea"), and 2 specific rules they all had to follow: (1) if you put your right hand on another immortal's head, you can impart on them whatever knowledge you choose, or "devour" them and absorb their lives as well as their knowledge and experiences, and (2) immortals can only speak to each other using their true names, thus ensuring they can always find each other should they wish for their immortal lives to end.

Predictably, and to the demon's amusement, the "devouring" begins almost immediately. The demon, in predictably malevolent fashion, only gave to Maiza and his cohort the Elixir of Life so he could amuse himself with seeing what sort of shit goes down when immortal humans begin killing each other based on their selfish desires for the secret formula. How terribly mundane, and how terribly predictable that humans would behave this way.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Angry Grimace said:
I'm just saying that a nose-bleed practically invites brain cancer. Anyone who thinks up that plot thinks they're a genius when really it's cliched as fuck.
I didn't think of that... You jerk. Now I'm sad =[

Branduil

Miri said:
Lol. I didn't even know that there was more to it. The anime ended great in my book.
Did you watch the DVD-extra episodes?

In today's animegaf, we learned that eating a cheeseburgers is the same as writing to someone about eating a cheeseburger.

Nichijou 8

Great as always. I love shows which you can tell the animators were having fun with. My favorite segment was in the stuck elevator. Creative composition and excellent music made for great atmosphere.

Guess the acapella ED is here to stay. I'm down with that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unknown Soldier said:
Baccano! 4:

You're doing it wrong.

By the way, Baccano is 13 episodes not 16. They list 16 so you wouldn't feel bad about getting only one episode on the last DVD and the count just stuck.

Articalys

Hitokage said:
You're doing it wrong.

By the way, Baccano is 13 episodes not 16. They list 16 so you wouldn't feel bad about getting only one episode on the last DVD and the count just stuck.
You have to admit, though,
Claire's lunchtime conversation with Rachel is kinda funny. Plus Norio Wakamoto and Chiwa Saitou get a bit more screen time to close out the whole framing device

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Articalys said:
You have to admit, though,
Claire's lunchtime conversation with Rachel is kinda funny. Plus Norio Wakamoto and Chiwa Saitou get a bit more screen time to close out the whole framing device
I should also mention that they chide you for needing to watch beyond 13.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Unknown Soldier said:
Baccano! 4:
I know the anime only occurs during a short time period within the light novel's greater story. So I guess I should be ready for an ending that doesn't resolve anything, since the light novel has stuff that happens afterwards (and before).
Actually from what I've heard and based on the anime, most of the story arcs are relatively self-contained, plus the anime itself resolves itself magnificently.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Actually from what I've heard and based on the anime, most of the story arcs are relatively self-contained, plus the anime itself resolves itself magnificently.
Oh yes, I forgot to ask earlier but have you seen any other shot movie collections e.g. Memories, The Animatrix, Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond and so forth?

iavi

Branduil said:
Did you watch the DVD-extra episodes?

In today's animegaf, we learned that eating a cheeseburgers is the same as writing to someone about eating a cheeseburger.
I... I think I did. Involved kidnapping, dating, and dude with a wrench? If so, yeah.

I was referring to the novels. Never knew that it was an adaptation that cut short. Really want to read the rest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom