• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Hitokage said:
I should also mention that they chide you for needing to watch beyond 13.
Did they? I watched it a long time ago so must have forgotten that bit.
--------------
Nichijou 8
Don't know why they wasted so much time with the wordplay joke segment. The rooftop scene was funny though, as was the brief popcorn bit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Oh yes, I forgot to ask earlier but have you seen any other shot movie collections e.g. Memories, The Animatrix, Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond and so forth?
Only the animatrix, the rest of those are on my to-watch list.

Baccano! 9:

Heeey, good old fashioned blood-and-guts! Now this is the animated blood and gore I've been looking for all these years! Mutilating a guy to death by pushing his head down on the tracks from a speeding train was a little over the top, but hey, I have to say this is an interrogation method that gets results! Uh, in unrelated news, the series now tells us what I knew all along, that the conductor was actually Claire "Vino" Stanfield, better known as the Rail Tracer. He's the only guy who appears in the OP who is left unnamed. Now I guess all the pieces of the puzzle are in place for the train phase of the story, let the massacres begin!

^

Oh, uh. I see. Okay.

Baccano! 10:

Chane is so incredibly hot when she's fighting. Hhhhnnng. She has a nice encounter with Ladd where neither are killed or even injured, which makes sense since we see both of them after the Flying Pussyfoot arrives in New York all the way back in the first episode. We also see Czeslaw again, and now that we saw him on the ship in 1711 it makes a lot more sense now, especially since we saw Ladd blow his head entirely to bits in the first episode without any explanation at all. What's most ingenious about this show is that chance encounters and events earlier on are suddenly shown from the other point of view later and we see what happens after and more importantly what was going on. It makes you want to keep watching because of how naturally it turns every single minor event into a huge cliffhanger which actually impacts the main story threads in a big way.

So far, people I know are immortal:
Dallas (imperfect formula)
Luck
Czeslaw
Szilard
Maiza
Firo
Ennis (homunculus)
Huey

People who are not immortal:
Chane (uNF)
Rachel
Ladd
Jacuzzi
Nice
Nick
Big dude who is with Jacuzzi, Nice, and Nick
Senator Douchebag's wife and daughter
Eve
Elean and Nicholas (the newspaper guys)
Vice President Hidden Behind The Pile of Papers on His Desk (seen at the very beginning of episode 1)

People who I'm still not sure about their immortalness:
Isaac
Miria
Senator Douchebag

Only 11, 12, and 13 remain in the original TV run. The remaining 3 episodes, 14, 15, and 16 were DVD-only episodes apparently.

Jex

Tiger & Bunny 8

Things are starting to move on with the main Lunatic plot, and we've even made room for character development. That's the ideal for any episode in a show of this type, really.

CROSS-COUNTER!

Articalys

Tiger and Bunny 6
Does Barnaby really just walk around asking random strangers about the Ouroboros symbol?
How do you let a giant walking mecha sneak up on you.
And now we've got our first real supervillain or something.

I think the reason I like this show so much is because it's not some generic high-school/teenage cast. Not that those kind of shows are bad, but recently shows with adults in the main roles are rarer.

e: Well now this just looks really stupid under the previous post.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
30-sai Hoken Taiiku 7
The Sex Gods continue to be the reason to watch this show. The guy they have playing the main character is tremendously annoying and overacted. Some great reaction faces in this episode too, and the Virgin King was great.

Seriously though, sex gods are more interesting than the rest of the show.
Lh0s1.gif

Prince of Tennis 1

Not bad. Decent introduction. Things aren't super crazy yet, but they shouldn't be this early. I can definitely imagine it getting totally insane later if the show is already starting to make tennis look scary.

Dresden

The "omg please fucking LOOK AT ME" moe:

x2Lfel.jpg

The "I poop from there" moe:

bM0D8l.jpg

The "look forward to my doujins at the next comiket" moe:

YGIoNl.jpg

The Ahegaomoe.

p3LVGl.jpg

Bonus:

Not her virginity, Yuko!

MNN9rl.jpg

As for the episode, it was pretty enjoyable! I skipped all the Professor/Nano parts, along with the soccer club scenes, and what was left was the main trio doing their thing, along with Sasahara and the gundere girl.

faridmon

Hopefully there are sex scenes in that Yuri Anime.

Speaking of which, You know which Anime was awesome and just thought of rewatching it again, and I never do that:

Kurenai. What an absolutely blast from start to finish.

Tiger and Bunny

Finally Tiger seems to be getting some respect from Bunny finally and even Lunatic is interested.

Not sure why they tried to hide his identity in the first place.

Nichijou 8
Hilarious. I continue to love this show. But really, I don't have much else to say. It's always kind of the same, but I still find it funny each week. I guess I can say... I think my favorite scene this time was the one with Sasahara and Nano's arm. They should use him more.

tiff

Banned
Nichijou 8 - Aside from the wordplay scene with Yuuko, the episode was pretty consistently enjoyable. Elevator scene was the best, but the rocket hand and cannon girl were pretty good too.

30 y.o. Virgin

I love how the sex god is totally cool with just bypassing the lessons and wants the two to fuck already. Also, virgin king is hilarious.

cosmicblizzard said:
There's a difference between a long shounen series like One Piece that has a clearly defined end point and state of progression and something like Detective Conan where 90% of the episodes can be watched in any order.

This becomes less and less true as the series goes on, though. Early Conan is largely episodic, but as the series goes on it becomes more plot driven and the cases start running together and forming long running arcs a lot more. There's a lot of stuff later in the series where you would be completely lost on what was going on if you didn't watch the show in order.

Deadman Wonderland 6

Some good slasher eyes in this episode. Hummingbird is my new favorite character. Love her true personality. The way the fight ended was kind of bullshit (and acknowledged as such in-universe) but I guess we're still in the early stages.

Looks like they relaxed the censorship a bit as well with the dude's brain leaking out in the soft intro without being obscured like in the previous episode.

Dynedom

Hana-Saku Iroha 08

This show continue to do absolutely nothing to lessen my love for it. Different strokes I guess but I think this show has been consistently fun to watch, with some episodes just being more fun than others.

Blue Exorcist 06

For filler, this stuff is pretty decent.

Beelzebub 18

Eh. At least they're getting on with it now. I can be thankful for small things.

I really hope they aren't toning this series down too much. I remember someone posted a shot from Tojo's intro in the manga compared to the series. Ugh. Please don't continue in that direction. :(

Jex

I sometimes wonder if my enjoyment of a show would be increased by waiting to marathon it, rather than watching it week-by-week. It obviously produces fairly different reactions because you don't have to spend a week waiting between episodes!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berserk 23

This is definitely the high point of the show, both in the quality of the adaptation and in the strength of the direction, mood and imagery.

For example, the 'pursuit' is knocked-down to a two minute affair with the rest of the episode devoted to the various reactions the characters have to these troubling revelations. It's good use of 'TV pacing', as it were.

Of particular note is, well, the visuals. It's hard to believe how cheap and crappy the earlier episodes looked when you presented with something as rich as this episode.
Griffith's tongue-less laugh with his head encased in the mask, and the actual eclipse, are two extremely memorable moments.
But really, most of the episode looks pretty good once you get past the chase scene.

Instro

Jexhius said:
I sometimes wonder if my enjoyment of a show would be increased by waiting to marathon it, rather than watching it week-by-week. It obviously produced fairly different reactions because you don't have to spend a week waiting between episodes!

I tend to think so. When watching a show weekly you have more time to pay attention to negative details, where as with a marathon you're more apt to ignore certain things plus you tend to focus more on the series as a whole rather than a sum of parts.

Jex

Instro said:
I tend to think so. When watching a show weekly you have more time to pay attention to negative details, where as with a marathon you're more apt to ignore certain things plus you tend to focus more on the series as a whole rather than a sum of parts.
Clearly the episode by episode discussion is one of the most interesting ways to watch a show, it does also bring any flaws into sharp relief. When one episode ends in a marathon you don't have ages to think about it because the next one will be starting in a minute.

jman2050

Dresden said:
The "omg please fucking LOOK AT ME" moe:

*stuff*

As for the episode, it was pretty enjoyable! I skipped all the Professor/Nano parts, along with the soccer club scenes, and what was left was the main trio doing their thing, along with Sasahara and the gundere girl.

Nichijou has some pretty awesome reaction faces.

That's about all it's good for though.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Clearly the episode by episode discussion is one of the most interesting ways to watch a show, it does also bring any flaws into sharp relief. When one episode ends in a marathon you don't have ages to think about it because the next one will be starting in a minute.

I think it largely depends on a show. Some shows are just so heavy that they don't lend themselves to marathon runs. I'm waiting for Steins;Gate to complete it's run so I can semi-marathon it (i.e. 1-2 episodes every day). I wouldn't date watch something that seems as complex as it in like 1-2 days.

Maybe we're not talking about extreme marathons, where you watch like 10 episodes in one day (yes, I'm guilty of that but it was like 2007 and Bleach was fun back then :( )

Of course, there are some anime I won't enjoy/understand if I watche the same episode several times a day. (e.g. Ergo Proxy)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Episode 7 of Nichijou stared really dull, and then it slowly reminded me why I watch anime in the first place.

Cute, heartwarming even. Ten out of ten.

trejo

Hanasaku Iroha 8

A weak episode, yes. It might be getting a tad too predictable for it's own good but nonetheless I'm still enjoying it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
Hanasaku Iroha 8

A weak episode, yes. It might be getting a tad too predictable for it's own good but nonetheless I'm still enjoying it.

For all the shows predictable and somewhat weak writing as well as the wacky animu hi-jinks i still can't get enough of the show for some reason.:lol

trejo

Lafiel said:
For all the shows predictable and somewhat weak writing as well as the wacky animu hi-jinks i still can't get enough of the show for some reason.:lol
I hear ya. I just wish it'd try to capture the feeling of the first episode once again and so far it hasn't.

There's still plenty of time, so I'm not too worried.

Baccano! 11, 12, 13:

So that's the end of the TV run. Well, I do agree that the ending stands on it's own and is conclusive within it's framework and the stories that it covers out of the light novel. I'm going to watch the remaining 3 episodes now and see exactly what they entail. It would be nice to see the scene where
Claire/Vino finds Chane, he's only got to search the entirety of Manhattan to find her, it won't take too long I would think (lol)
. Beyond that I guess we'll see what else happens after
everybody gets off the train and leaves Grand Central Station
, and also we still need to see when
Eve finally gets Dallas out of the bottom of the Hudson River (lol)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
I hear ya. I just wish it'd try to capture the feeling of the first episode once again and so far it hasn't.

There's still plenty of time, so I'm not too worried.

They are certain scenes that capture that mood really well past the first episode, but they keep dropping it in favor of silly hi-jinx and not make the whole episode revolve around it like episode 1. (or even episode 2)

I still enjoy some of the more sillier scenes in the show, but it's definitely a problem with the series as a whole.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't get this first episode of Iroha thing - can someone explain how it's different from what we have now?

You have the same improbably overly dramatic set ups leading to the two episode formula that we find ourselves in now.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
I don't get this first episode of Iroha thing - can someone explain how it's different from what we have now?

You have the same improbably overly dramatic set ups leading to the two episode formula that we find ourselves in now.
I guess they want more domestic violence.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:

I think the best part about the first episode (as well as the second episode) is it walked a middle line between anime hi-jinks and dramatics without going to far in either, it was dramatic without being to dramatic, it was silly without being to silly and still somehow presenting a grounded feel. Since then it honestly has gone a bit to far on the anime hi-jinks scale, and the show is suffering a bit because of it.

There's also the case of the general level of direction going down, but it's pretty pointless complaining about that!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Episode 1 has the mother abandoning Ohana because of some fraud charges or something. How is that not insane in any other context? It works as a set up only because it's animu - like ghost Menma.

Baccano! 14:

Ah, the joys of DVD-only episodes. So this is to be a self-contained arc, which has the intent of bringing all the
surviving
characters together for a last hurrah. Meanwhile
Czeslaw decides to tell Rachel all there is to know about the events she unwittingly witnessed and intervened with first hand. I feel bad for poor Ladd, who's busy sitting in a prison cell somewhere and so presumably won't appear, hell, even Huey got to appear with Elmer so they could have a conversation about Chane so we could see her origin story! How depressing for poor Ladd and Una, sure he lost an arm, but he saved himself and Una from certain death falling off a speeding train! So far Claire/Vino hasn't appeared either, nor have the Gandor brothers, though it looks like we'll be seeing Jacuzzi and Nice again next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom