• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
Episode 1 has the mother abandoning Ohana because of some fraud charges or something. How is that not insane in any other context? It works as a set up only because it's animu - like ghost Menma.
Irohah is the anime Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
Episode 1 has the mother abandoning Ohana because of some fraud charges or something. How is that not insane in any other context? It works as a set up only because it's animu - like ghost Menma.
It's not really the question of whether episode 1 had silly anime stuff in it (it did) it's the question of HOW it's executed. I feel episode 1 did a amazing job of executing those kind of cliches and make it feel grounded and believable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pieatorium said:
Irohah is the anime Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Damn, so true. You can bet a "YOU'RE NOT MY MOM" moment is going to happen in season 5!

Lafiel said:
It's not really the question of whether episode 1 had silly anime stuff in it (it did) it's the question of HOW it's executed. I feel episode 1 did a amazing job of executing those kind of cliches and make it feel grounded and believable.
I guess I haven't noticed a shift in tone or execution as much as everyone else. Maybe I'll go back and watch it, but episode 3 is really the only outlier... and even then I didn't think it was as bad as everyone else thought it was. :lol

tiff

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I don't get this first episode of Iroha thing - can someone explain how it's different from what we have now?

You have the same improbably overly dramatic set ups leading to the two episode formula that we find ourselves in now.
I'm not one to bemoan the direction the series is going in, but I do remember a different kind of tone in the first episode. It was the only one where Ohana's enthusiastic and impulsive attitude didn't really get her anywhere. It kinda felt like it was hitting on a theme rather than just "Ohana saves the day or clears up misunderstanding through sheer determination."

Maybe I'm just misremembering though.

tiff said:
I'm not one to bemoan the direction the series is going in, but I do remember a different kind of tone in the first episode. It was the only one where Ohana's enthusiastic and impulsive attitude didn't really get her anywhere. It kinda felt like it was hitting on a theme rather than just "Ohana saves the day or clears up misunderstanding through sheer determination."

Maybe I'm just misremembering though.

No, you're right. One of the reasons I liked the first episode is Ohana's idealistic optimism was continually bumping into the harshness of the real world. I thought the show would be about her growing up - learning how to bring her genki-ness down to earth. But in episode 3 suddenly all resistance to Ohana vanished. There's nothing to foil her personality anymore - Minko certainly is ineffective at that.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Nichijou 8
Definitely great. I actually really enjoyed the wordplay part, the reactions were priceless. What bugged me was the tsundere on the roof moment. I mean really? It's sorta cute I guess, but tsundere humor is kinda played out for me. I've pretty much heard all of those jokes before. The slowly disintegrating handkerchief was pretty classy though.

Baccano! 15, 16 END:

Well, that's it then, the series is concluded. The last 3 episodes ultimately served mainly to fit in the backstories of the characters which weren't shown in the first 13 episodes. They certainly gave me what I was looking for in the end,
Rail Tracer-san tried to propose to an entirely confused Chane while Jacuzzi and company watch bemusedly; we see Isaac, Miria, and the rest of the mobsters one last time; Mr. Vice President concludes his lesson to little Carol; Sylvie, Elmer, our amused demon, and the other surviving immortals reunite; Rachel gets the rest of the story straight from an entirely hilarious Rail Tracer who is able to scare that little twerp Czeslaw into a panic without missing a beat; we even see Ladd again for a final moment (but no Lua, sadly); and then at the end just to prove the point, the immortal mouse runs into the street and gets gratuitously splatted by a car so we don't forget what series we're watching because if even 5 minutes goes by without lovingly-animated, detailed and fluidly drawn brutality, the show's creators get really nervous and need to fit some in! It's everything you need and nothing you don't!

Baccano! was a great series overall. Just absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. Completely hilarious, gloriously and brutally violent, populated with a bizarre cast of entirely likable characters, and despite occurring in multiple time periods simultaneously, managing to somehow make sense at the end. Fortunately, at 16 episodes it's also a short series, so I can enjoy a re-watch whenever I please since the disparate story threads at the beginning which made no sense are now a cohesive whole. I can watch a second time and enjoy the story without spending my time wondering what the fucking hell is going on.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just bought the new Champloo BD set since apparently it uses a new/good upscale/encode. I'll tell you guys how it looks!

zeroshiki

hosannainexcelsis said:
No, you're right. One of the reasons I liked the first episode is Ohana's idealistic optimism was continually bumping into the harshness of the real world. I thought the show would be about her growing up - learning how to bring her genki-ness down to earth. But in episode 3 suddenly all resistance to Ohana vanished. There's nothing to foil her personality anymore - Minko certainly is ineffective at that.

I am confident that this will still happen. At this point, the only things that Ohana has been able to affect with her positive attitude has been minor misunderstandings and her relationships with people. With big stuff however (say, Grandma's health, conflict with Mom, Kou-chan) I'm confident that they're going to have her meet up against a wall and not be able to resolve these issues at least until towards the end.

This show has been paced really well. I think you guys are just getting antsy for conflict.

Arjuna 4-6

This show isn't even pretending to be anything more than a soapbox anymore. So lame. Kanno was wasted.

zeroshiki said:
I am confident that this will still happen. At this point, the only things that Ohana has been able to affect with her positive attitude has been minor misunderstandings and her relationships with people. With big stuff however (say, Grandma's health, conflict with Mom, Kou-chan) I'm confident that they're going to have her meet up against a wall and not be able to resolve these issues at least until towards the end.

This show has been paced really well. I think you guys are just getting antsy for conflict.

We'll see. Maybe I'd like it better if I waited and marathoned it all at the end.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
zerokoolpsx said:
Ano Hana 6: Jintan scored some points with Naruko. They should go out on a date already.
I don't think Jintan needs any points with Anjo. She's been into him for like a decade.

qcf x2

Dynedom said:
I think it largely depends on a show. Some shows are just so heavy that they don't lend themselves to marathon runs.

Yeah, I think it depends on the show but it's definitely preferable to have the option of choosing your own pace. I marathoned YYH in 3 sets, with a few weeks between sets. It was amazing. I doubt I would've enjoyed Madoka as much had I not had the time between episodes to analyze & hypothesize (incorrectly), and I'm pretty sure I would've broken precious items had I watched Melancholy season 2 as it was airing.

I think it also depends on how occupied you are. Sometimes I can only watch one episode a week (I'm currently at two).

Heysoos

So I'm guessing this is the right thread. Anyways, was watching The Sacred Blacksmith on Netflix, and I kinda liked it. Hated how it ended though, felt like there's supposed to be more to the story. Question is, is it over? I think the "Complete Series" part of the title on Netflix makes it seem, but I can't find anything confirming it.

Heysoos said:
So I'm guessing this is the right thread. Anyways, was watching The Sacred Blacksmith on Netflix, and I kinda liked it. Hated how it ended though, felt like there's supposed to be more to the story. Question is, is it over? I think the "Complete Series" part of the title on Netflix makes it seem, but I can't find anything confirming it.

It's an ongoing light novel, so it's expected for the anime adaptation to end abruptly. You'll just have to hope for another season which is probably unlikely since I don't think it did that well.

Heysoos

cosmicblizzard said:
It's an ongoing light novel, so it's expected for the anime adaptation to end abruptly. You'll just have to hope for another season which is probably unlikely since I don't think it did that well.

Lame. I hate watching things that end like that. Oh well, enjoyed the episodes at least. Thanks for the quick reply.

Jex

Project A-Ko

Gotta follow your dream!

Well that was an explosive piece of craziness. I think all the individual scenes are great, although it perhaps doesn't come together to form the most cohesive "movie". But it was still a lot of fun.

That animation is insane.

Prince of Tennis 2

I'm guessing the first few episodes will just be Ryoma owning everyone before a legitimate threat shows up. Dude with the sprained ankle is being built up a bit when he heals, but he probably won't be too difficult if Ryoma actually tries.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm still really fond of Project A-ko. Does it have pacing issues? Sure, but once the crazy reaches critical mass it's all good.

trejo

Arjuna whatever

Fuck the planet. This show makes me want to eat all the junk food I can and then take a giant dump on god's green earth. Go to hell, Kawamori.

Infinite Stratos whatever

Things have been put in perspective, that's for sure.

Project A-ko

Dat everything. They don't make 'em like this no more and that's a real shame.

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
Prince of Tennis 2

I'm guessing the first few episodes will just be Ryoma owning everyone before a legitimate threat shows up. Dude with the sprained ankle is being built up a bit when he heals, but he probably won't be too difficult if Ryoma actually tries.

Get ready for hundreds of episodes of this bullshit.

Articalys

Spice and Wolf II 1-6
Well, I'm definitely getting the Blu-rays now, lack of BD player at the present be damned. I have until August to find one anyway. Looks like they couldn't get the OVA though?
Also, those illustrations in the ending are from Juu Ayakura, right?

Solune

Hitokage said:
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 1-Don't care

Wat.
I'd expect such a reaction from watching an AVN adaptation. Shouldn't you be training in AH3? I have some new tech to try out tomorrow ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:

I really doubt they are going to "ruin" her like they did Tanabe near the end of Planetes though... she's going to have genki powers forever!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I really doubt they are going to "ruin" her like they did Tanabe near the end of Planetes though... she's going to have genki powers forever!

Oh, I don't doubt genki will defeat all. I'm just saying that her inability to solve stuff based on just genki will be a major story focus. Ohana will grow up. There's basically no chance that it won't happen.

Articalys

Tiger and Bunny 8
And I'm all caught up! No idea why I dismissed this series at the start of the season and put it off for so long; it's pretty much contesting for the top of my list right now.
After the end of episode 5 I don't think
creepy green hair judge guy being Lunatic
was supposed to even be a surprise. I still don't completely trust
the Apollon Media CEO
either.

Now to start having to wait a week between episodes like everyone else...

trejo

Yami and the hat and the books and stuff 1-5

There are no words to describe this. I am rendered speechless by this... thing. I must watch more.

Jex

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 1-5

Wow.

Episodes 1-3 where easily the worst episodes of anime that I've ever seen. Garzey's Wing, Arjuna, IS? They don't stand a chance. Terrible editing, script, design, pacing, shaky cam, illogical plot, awkward fanservice, random nonsense, SHAKY CAM, lesbians.

Nothing even made sense. In any way. Like, from scene to scene. Or within a scene. There was no story.

The next couple of episodes approached boring, rather than insanely amateur, but they did feature QUILE and the derp beast so they can be forgiven.

Makes Glass Fleet look like a masterpiece.

Lain

Articalys said:
Spice and Wolf II 1-6
Well, I'm definitely getting the Blu-rays now, lack of BD player at the present be damned. I have until August to find one anyway. Looks like they couldn't get the OVA though?
I'm watching the second season too (watched episode 6 a couple days ago) and I wish the BDs were getting published here as well.
Also, the happenings in those 6 episodes made me wonder who was getting trolled, if Lawrence, the viewer... or both. I even got a little angry until episode 5/6 made things completely clear.
I can't get the BDs, but I can get the novels, so I'll grab them at least.

mAcOdIn

Everyone watching Project A-ko pisses me off, my copy should have been here Sunday. Sunday!
Hitokage said:
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 1-5

Wat.
Bail out, it's shit!
Articalys said:
Spice and Wolf II 1-6
Love the show but if Funi somehow didn't get the second OVA I will be pissed off like nothing else.

tiff

Banned
Lafiel said:
Infinite stratos 7 - Every scene with Char is amazing, i wish she were in a better show..
If all of IS was about Charlotte gender-trolling everyone it'd actually be an enjoyable show.

Salazar

Watching Yu Yu out of sequence.

Cleared the third arc, watching the second now. Toguro just showed up and pulled a building down on him and Yusuke.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
mAcOdIn said:
Everyone watching Project A-ko pisses me off, my copy should have been here Sunday. Sunday!

Bail out, it's shit!

Love the show but if Funi somehow didn't get the second OVA I will be pissed off like nothing else.

Second OVA? Are you counting the DVD only episode 7? as the first?

mAcOdIn

DrForester said:
Second OVA? Are you counting the DVD only episode 7? as the first?
No, I'm talking about the Ova for season two that's set between season one and two. I already know Funimation got the first Ova as I own that set and it's on there.

Nichijou 8
This show is extremely hit or miss but it will have something in each episode that will at least make me smile. Also, Gundere is best dere.

Salazar said:
Watching Yu Yu out of sequence.

Cleared the third arc, watching the second now. Toguro just showed up and pulled a building down on him and Yusuke.

Wait, you watched the Dark Tournament before the Toguro introduction? That kind of ruins the whole arc I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom